[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Moto G7 Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

cozxxxta

Apr 28, 2020
São Paulo
Moto G7 Plus
Thank you for your suggestion koimr, I found out that the port of Moto Cam 2 that worked on my previous OS was made by Nemesis. So I looked for a version for Moto G7+ compatible with Android 11. Here it is https://sourceforge.net/projects/nemesisteam/files/MODs/Moto-Camera-2/List-N2/Android-11/ARM-64/ . I installed it via TWRP and it worked!

I've made some test shots with three cameras: Moto Cam 2, Pixel GCam you suggested and Open Cam. Moto Cam (which now does not offer a switch of HDR) and GCam (with HDR+ activated) give pretty close results in day light. Moto tends to render darker and punchier dark areas while GCam extends DRO for them so that shots get less contrasty and less colorful. Besides Moto files are 15-20% heavier than those by GCam, I think for keeping more color info in darker parts. Open Camera with HDR activated is another story. Sometimes it gives a pretty well balanced image while sometimes a lollypop HDR effect is too strong. In low light Open Camera renders too grainy image. My previous experience with Moto was positive. I could compare it to GCam later.

As for daylight shots, I attach unedited samples of two scenes. In both cases first comes Moto Cam 2 (default settings), then GCam (HDR+) and third Open Camera (HDR). You can see the variation.

There was a shocking moment in the first experience of GCam. I discovered that if you switch off the HDR+ mode, the app uses the second front camera, and you just have no choice to change it. I am unaware if this happens only with G7+ or it's a general feature. I tend to say it's a shame, as the image is limited to 1920 at its large side, and the quality of the oversharpened image is simply ridiculous. Welcome back to 1998. The last shot attached is an unedited GCam shot taken this way, with HDR+ off. I wonder if that could be fixed someway for G7+.
I'll attach some examples that I shot with it, you can take extremely detailed pictures with both back and front cameras.

Attachments

• HC_20210103_172226_TrueLight Raizen.jpg
    HC_20210103_172226_TrueLight Raizen.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 39
  • HC_20210131_225251_TrueColors Raizen~2.jpg
    HC_20210131_225251_TrueColors Raizen~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
  • HC_20210208_160256_TrueLight Raizen.jpg
    HC_20210208_160256_TrueLight Raizen.jpg
    12 MB · Views: 39
  • HC_20210603_172501_TrueColors Raizen.jpg
    HC_20210603_172501_TrueColors Raizen.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
  • HC_20210524_183240_TrueColors Raizen.jpg
    HC_20210524_183240_TrueColors Raizen.jpg
    10.5 MB · Views: 27
  • HC_20210117_133204_TrueColors Raizen.jpg
    HC_20210117_133204_TrueColors Raizen.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 31
  • HC_20201110_150221_null.jpg
    HC_20201110_150221_null.jpg
    12.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20201101_154206_718.jpg
    IMG_20201101_154206_718.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46

mystiquerq

Jun 21, 2021
Edit:see my follow-up replies, this rom is fine, I screwed up :)

Flashing this HARD BRICKED my phone!?
it's brand new unopened moto g7 plus XT1965-2
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??
I just boot twrp, sideload the .zip(not corrupt, i verified hash) everything worked fine, i shutdown, try to get to bootloader to boot recovery again and install gapps, BUT THIS ROM BRICKED MY DEVICE COMPLETELY.

I unbricked my phone, very complicated PAINFUL PROCESS

THEN all i did was "fastboot boot twrp..."
wipe system/cache/data of the stock rom because that's what the internet tell me to do
adb sideload the UNCORRUPTED OFFICIAL LINEAGOS ROM
And it hardbricked my phone again

Last edited:

luspi

Jul 28, 2017
This smells like a typical PEBMAC problem. I'd suggest actually following the official install instructions, there you can find the note:

"Note: If you want the Google Apps add-on on your device, you must follow this step before booting into LineageOS for the first time!"

mystiquerq

Jun 21, 2021
This smells like a typical PEBMAC problem. I'd suggest actually following the official install instructions, there you can find the note:

"Note: If you want the Google Apps add-on on your device, you must follow this step before booting into LineageOS for the first time!"
1) i don't want google apps.
2) it's a HARD BRICK, the device does not turn on. It doesn't even show the led light when charging. This is a complete brick, no fastboot, no bootloader, no screen, nothing. I thought that was clear and obvious.

Anyways, this is a "brand new" moto g7 plus XT1965-2, never opened since factory, possibly the south-american version, stock rom was android 9. I'm very curious why simply adb sideloading this rom completely bricks my device...

Last edited:

luspi

Jul 28, 2017
1) i don't want google apps.
2) it's a HARD BRICK, the device does not turn on. It doesn't even show the led light when charging. This is a complete brick, no fastboot, no bootloader, no screen, nothing. I thought that was clear and obvious.

1) You said you want to install gapps, what do you think that is?

2) Your posts are a little ambiguous to me as to when the hard brick occurs. Is it before or after you try to install gapps?

Anyways, this is a "brand new" moto g7 plus XT1965-2, never opened since factory, possibly the south-american version, stock rom was android 9. I'm very curious why simply adb sideloading this rom completely bricks my device...

I have the exact same model, it works just fine for me though. You could try installing it with the recommended Lineage Recovery instead of twrp. Iirc in the past there have been some issues with twrp and the partioning on newer android versions. I haven't followed closely enough what happened with that though.

mystiquerq

Jun 21, 2021
1) You said you want to install gapps, what do you think that is?

2) Your posts are a little ambiguous to me as to when the hard brick occurs. Is it before or after you try to install gapps?

I have the exact same model, it works just fine for me though. You could try installing it with the recommended Lineage Recovery instead of twrp. Iirc in the past there have been some issues with twrp and the partioning on newer android versions. I haven't followed closely enough what happened with that though.
after installation through adb sideload, the installer(or twrp itself maybe?) indicates that i have to reboot recovery to install further zips, i do not boot the actual system, i boot to boatloader in order to boot the recovery again and install gapps.
So to answer 2), "before" since i never even had the chance to install gapps anyway, device is already completely bricked after flashing lineagos.

I will try to use your advice about the lineagos recovery. It might be that twrp completely ruins the paritioning when flashing android 11 on a android 9 device? Will know more soon.

Edit:
"In some cases slot b can be unpopulated or contain much older firmware than slot a, leading to various issues including a potential hard-brick. We can ensure none of that will happen by copying the contents of slot a to slot b. This step is NOT optional."
*oh, hello, potential hard-brick? yes*

I guess for my future devices, i shouldn't just rely on "let's just boot TWRP and flash this image and everything should be fine"
=)

I didn't actually try these instructions, i simply let the stock rom update quite a lot and sideloaded it again and now things are not bricked, likely because now the stock rom is old enough to no longer cause these issue's again, hehehe.

There also aren't any documented cases of the issue I had anywhere on the internet because my case(buying a never opened/never used moto g7 plus off ebay, not updating the severely outdated stock rom and hoping twrp and sideload will work just fine) is rather... unique? :D

Last edited:

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
after installation through adb sideload, the installer(or twrp itself maybe?) indicates that i have to reboot recovery to install further zips, i do not boot the actual system, i boot to boatloader in order to boot the recovery again and install gapps.
So to answer 2), "before" since i never even had the chance to install gapps anyway, device is already completely bricked after flashing lineagos.

I will try to use your advice about the lineagos recovery. It might be that twrp completely ruins the paritioning when flashing android 11 on a android 9 device? Will know more soon.

Edit:
"In some cases slot b can be unpopulated or contain much older firmware than slot a, leading to various issues including a potential hard-brick. We can ensure none of that will happen by copying the contents of slot a to slot b. This step is NOT optional."
*oh, hello, potential hard-brick? yes*

I guess for my future devices, i shouldn't just rely on "let's just boot TWRP and flash this image and everything should be fine"
=)

I didn't actually try these instructions, i simply let the stock rom update quite a lot and sideloaded it again and now things are not bricked, likely because now the stock rom is old enough to no longer cause these issue's again, hehehe.

There also aren't any documented cases of the issue I had anywhere on the internet because my case(buying a never opened/never used moto g7 plus off ebay, not updating the severely outdated stock rom and hoping twrp and sideload will work just fine) is rather... unique? :D

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
Not sure what you mean by "Severely outdated stock rom" since I used the 3/2021 version of the stock rom to install Lineage, TWRP and Magisk without any issues following the procedures as outlined on 2 different phones of the same model. I suppose you could say a 3 month old rom is "severely outdated" but I guess it is a matter of semantics.

mystiquerq

Jun 21, 2021
Not sure what you mean by "Severely outdated stock rom" since I used the 3/2021 version of the stock rom to install Lineage, TWRP and Magisk without any issues following the procedures as outlined.
3/2021 isn't old..
it was a stock rom from 2019, the first ever stock rom that this device had. https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/lake/install
As i have said before, the install instructions say "In some cases slot b can be unpopulated or contain much older firmware than slot a, leading to various issues including a potential hard-brick."
And that's likely exactly what happend here. Case closed.

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
3/2021 isn't old..
it was a stock rom from 2019, the first ever stock rom that this device had. https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/lake/install
As i have said before, the install instructions say "In some cases slot b can be unpopulated or contain much older firmware than slot a, leading to various issues including a potential hard-brick."
And that's likely exactly what happend here. Case closed.
Soooo, basicly you didn't follow the instructions provided. I get it now.

"We can ensure none of that will happen by copying the contents of slot a to slot b. This step is NOT optional.
To do this, sideload the copy-partitions-20210323_1922.zip package by doing the following:
  1. Download the copy-partitions-20210323_1922.zip file from here.
  2. Sideload the copy-partitions-20210323_1922.zip package:
    • On the device, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.
    • On the host machine, sideload the package using: adb sideload copy-partitions-20210323_1922.zip"
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Z-Prime

Apr 17, 2017
Edit: I forgot about the whole Safetynet thing. Its been a few years since Ive used Lineage. Back then it didnt exist lol. I don't know if the original post is worth leaving for those who don't know about this and are new to Custom OS's and Androids Play Store quirks

Just a quick question someone might be able to answer for me as I don't think I saw it mentioned in any prior posts-

Are there any issues with any apps like Amazon apps or Netflix not working with the Lineage Rom for the G7 plus? Cheers!

Last edited:

Z-Prime

Apr 17, 2017
Well that was a debarkle. I had nothing but issues trying to get this onto my phone.

Not because of the official instructions, but because the latest version of TWRP for the G7plus was giving me the 'touch input not working' issue. In the end I couldnt get any of the fixes for that problem in TWRP to work.

I gave up on trying to save a nandroid backup of my OEM G7plus software, and used Lineage Recovery to install LOS18.1.
Thankfully that worked smoothly. Part of me wishes I didn't waste all that time trying to get TWRP to work.

Biggest surprise of installing LOS was discovering the G7plus had a unused battery light! Now if we can get that speaker phone loudness fixed. I wish that was listed under bugs on the OP. I had no idea about that till going through all 6 pages of this thread.

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
Well that was a debarkle. I had nothing but issues trying to get this onto my phone.

Not because of the official instructions, but because the latest version of TWRP for the G7plus was giving me the 'touch input not working' issue. In the end I couldnt get any of the fixes for that problem in TWRP to work.

I gave up on trying to save a nandroid backup of my OEM G7plus software, and used Lineage Recovery to install LOS18.1.
Thankfully that worked smoothly. Part of me wishes I didn't waste all that time trying to get TWRP to work.

Biggest surprise of installing LOS was discovering the G7plus had a unused battery light! Now if we can get that speaker phone loudness fixed. I wish that was listed under bugs on the OP. I had no idea about that till going through all 6 pages of this thread.
Can I ask what version of TWRP you tried to use? I have used twrp-3.5.0-lake-v2.img with every Android 11 custom rom and stock Android 10 I have tried and never had any issues.

The key is to boot it from fastboot mode then install it with twrp-installer-3.5.0-lake-v2.zip. Then reboot recovery to be sure it is working well. I've done it several times trying out different roms and updating my wife's phone with stock.

Z-Prime

Apr 17, 2017
Can I ask what version of TWRP you tried to use? I have used twrp-3.5.0-lake-v2.img with every Android 11 custom rom and stock Android 10 I have tried and never had any issues.

The key is to boot it from fastboot mode then install it with twrp-installer-3.5.0-lake-v2.zip. Then reboot recovery to be sure it is working well. I've done it several times trying out different roms and updating my wife's phone with stock.
I tried the latest version of TWRP twrp-3.5.2_9-0-lake and the version before twrp-3.5.1_9-0-lake.

I booted from fastboot, it would load up but all finger presses would not work. Looked at a lot of the XDA workarounds and those on reddit and nothing worked to get finger presses working including the sideloading commands via adb. Given all the literature said it should be working I don't honestly understand why it wasn't working for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Moto G7 Plus

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Moto G7 Plus.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • None.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_motorola_msm8998
    Hi guys,
    anyone knows if it's possible to change the default camera app? As you probably discovered, on Android 11 is not possible to set a different default application for camera. For example, if you want to take a picture from an app like sports tracker you must use motorola app. Any possibility to change the original app, setting open camera or another?
    Could it be possible to substitute the original app before compiling the rom?
    In 18.1, you can change the default camera app just fine. If you install one, and double click power button, it will ask you which camera app to use, and if it should be default.
    Online Updates: 18.1 XT1965-2
    Always reverts to Lineageos Recovery. Necessary to reinstall Twrp and Magisk. Any way around this ??
    Nope, Lineage Recovery should be used on this device. Magisk will persist if you use the Updater app.
    Try switching off "update recovery" in the updater options.
    Can't do that here, we're A/B. It will tell you you can't do that if you try.
    Hi,
    For many builds now my phone doesn't recognize the sim card after a reboot or an update- tray needs to be pulled out on each occasion. I've tried everything so far... Anyone else?

@npjohnson

I've seen this reported for moto g7 play and power, fixed two or one build back... Is this something that you can look at for the next update please?
    Or maybe you can advise on a possible update of non-hlos.bin or such I should perform myself? Thanks in advance!
    Nope, issue doesn't exist for us, that was a typo on 632-common, we use 660-common, my TMO SIM is still fine.
    Thank you for your suggestion koimr, I found out that the port of Moto Cam 2 that worked on my previous OS was made by Nemesis. So I looked for a version for Moto G7+ compatible with Android 11. Here it is https://sourceforge.net/projects/nemesisteam/files/MODs/Moto-Camera-2/List-N2/Android-11/ARM-64/ . I installed it via TWRP and it worked!

I've made some test shots with three cameras: Moto Cam 2, Pixel GCam you suggested and Open Cam. Moto Cam (which now does not offer a switch of HDR) and GCam (with HDR+ activated) give pretty close results in day light. Moto tends to render darker and punchier dark areas while GCam extends DRO for them so that shots get less contrasty and less colorful. Besides Moto files are 15-20% heavier than those by GCam, I think for keeping more color info in darker parts. Open Camera with HDR activated is another story. Sometimes it gives a pretty well balanced image while sometimes a lollypop HDR effect is too strong. In low light Open Camera renders too grainy image. My previous experience with Moto was positive. I could compare it to GCam later.

As for daylight shots, I attach unedited samples of two scenes. In both cases first comes Moto Cam 2 (default settings), then GCam (HDR+) and third Open Camera (HDR). You can see the variation.

There was a shocking moment in the first experience of GCam. I discovered that if you switch off the HDR+ mode, the app uses the second front camera, and you just have no choice to change it. I am unaware if this happens only with G7+ or it's a general feature. I tend to say it's a shame, as the image is limited to 1920 at its large side, and the quality of the oversharpened image is simply ridiculous. Welcome back to 1998. The last shot attached is an unedited GCam shot taken this way, with HDR+ off. I wonder if that could be fixed someway for G7+.
    I'll attach some examples that I shot with it, you can take extremely detailed pictures with both back and front cameras.
    On lineagos 18.1, I'm having issues getting volte to work on a XT1965-T (Revvrly+ branded G7 plus, T-Mobile US) phone. All the options to enable it are there and I've tried all the obvious solutions like disabling/re-enabling the volte and radio settings, resetting APN settings, etc.

When dialing *#*#4636#*#* then choosing "Phone Information" then choosing "IMS Service Status" from the drop down menu in the upper right, it reports:
    IMS Registration: Not Registered
    Voice over LTE: Unavailable
    Voice over WiFi: Unavailable
    Video Calling: Unavailable
    UT Interface: Unavailable

Does anyone have volte working with T-mobile US on any Motorola G7 variant and Lineageos 18.1? Can anyone get a successful IMS registration via the menu I mention above? LTE works fine otherwise and I can make calls though having it drop to 3g it annoying particularly when there is no 3g coverage preventing me from making a call. It would also be very nice to have wifi calling.

Edit:
    I was able to get VoLTE and wifi calling to function by installing the latest stock ROM (XT1965-T_LAKE_REVVL_10_QPWS30.142-Q3-28-25-7_subsidy-TMO_SPR_RSU_QCOM_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip) from https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/

For anyone reading this, I simply wiped my phone, installed the stock ROM, booted, ensured IMS registration was successful and the VoLTE was enabled, wiped, reinstalled the latest LineageOS 18.1 nightly, and checked to be sure IMS registration was still registered.