Recognized Developer
lineage-os-logo.png

Moto G7

Code:
- Your warranty is now void.
- You have been warned.
- Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Moto G7.

Downloads:
Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
  • None.
  • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
Notes:
  • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_motorola_sdm632

Last edited:

Norla-Ruiz

Nov 4, 2013
Cartago
I've heard that some people, including myself, have had issues with upgrading to 18.1 on some devices because it results in a broken lock screen. Is this an issue with 18.1 on the G7? I just want to make sure before I upgrade.
In my case, at the moment it is working well, I am still testing it.

You should try to report the bug:
  • "Find any? Report them according to this guide"

Reactions: NTGDeveloper
Only on really really old devices like bacon , etc.
Thanks for letting me know. I decided to go with a clean flash anyway just because I think my encryption on my data partition was preventing boot and restoring from a 17.1 nandroid backup broke the system completely. So far, the ROM is very good and I'm happy that I'm now on Android 11!

Reactions: npjohnson

PMDPhD

Nov 18, 2013
Moto G7
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
I flashed this the other night and the ROM seems to be working well. I have a question about updating the Lineage OS recovery though. I am used to flashing via TWRP, but decided to go with the Lineage OS recovery this time. In TWRP if I want to update TWRP itself, I would download the twrp-XYZ-123.img to the device, and flash the image in TWRP. I cannot see this option anywhere in the Lineage Recovery UI. Do I have to do it in ADB like the initial install of the ROM? Is there another way to update the recovery? Is it even necessary to do the recovery update (I can't find a changelog for the Lineage OS Recovery on the lineage site), I don't want to bother with an ADB recovery flash every week if nothing is actually changing in the recovery image.

I flashed this the other night and the ROM seems to be working well. I have a question about updating the Lineage OS recovery though. I am used to flashing via TWRP, but decided to go with the Lineage OS recovery this time. In TWRP if I want to update TWRP itself, I would download the twrp-XYZ-123.img to the device, and flash the image in TWRP. I cannot see this option anywhere in the Lineage Recovery UI. Do I have to do it in ADB like the initial install of the ROM? Is there another way to update the recovery? Is it even necessary to do the recovery update (I can't find a changelog for the Lineage OS Recovery on the lineage site), I don't want to bother with an ADB recovery flash every week if nothing is actually changing in the recovery image.
Why aren't you using the .zip? Because the linage recovery doesn't do .IMG files I would guess. The .zip is on the twrp , also the .zip can be flashed with magisk

PMDPhD

Nov 18, 2013
Moto G7
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
Why aren't you using the .zip? Because the linage recovery doesn't do .IMG files I would guess. The .zip is on the twrp , also the .zip can be flashed with magisk
I am very new to Lineage OS Recovery. Always used the .IMG files with TWRP. I don't know how to flash a recovery in Lineage Recovery at all, and could not find any instructions anywhere. I did not know I could flash a recovery as a .Zip. I also just realized that my initial question is kind of moot because there is an option in the built in updater in Lineage OS 18.1 to flash both the update and recovery, so my Lineage OS Recovery is already the latest version from 4-4-21, and I won't have to figure out how to flash it. Though it would be useful to know in general.

I am very new to Lineage OS Recovery. Always used the .IMG files with TWRP. I don't know how to flash a recovery in Lineage Recovery at all, and could not find any instructions anywhere. I did not know I could flash a recovery as a .Zip. I also just realized that my initial question is kind of moot because there is an option in the built in updater in Lineage OS 18.1 to flash both the update and recovery, so my Lineage OS Recovery is already the latest version from 4-4-21, and I won't have to figure out how to flash it. Though it would be useful to know in general.
Yes the zip makes it so much easier now. If you use the lineageos built in update process you will lose TWRP, download the zip and you can very quicky just reboot to recovery after a lineageos update, then install the twrp.zip . you will lose root so you just reinstall majisk(if you use majisk, it'll keep your modules and settings). There may be a twrp retain script, but I haven't messed with them yet, the reinstall of twrp and majisk is pretty fast (plus I'm used to doing it the old way, sort of like you with the .IMG)

TomOehser

Jan 12, 2018
Mostly seems pretty good. Broke "LawnChair2" launcher, but, that seems to be a problem of LawnChair going dormant; Hyperion is working o-k so far as a replacement, with some hassles converting. The OK Google voice activation for Assistant still doesn't work and I can't find any fixes, but that was true on 17.1 also. I *hate* the zooming wallpaper effect, makes it very hard to exactly position wallpaper vs. icons. That is an Android 11 "feature" though, so no getting around it...

FoxShadow

Aug 12, 2014
Moto G7
Hi there. I upgraded 17.1 to 18.1 recently. Seems working fine on first day until I installed vanced app (i think).
Now, every time the screen go off and when it back on, i see glitches and bad palette color. And can't fix it without a reboot (and then when the screen go off the screen glitches comes back)
Maybe is related with Vanced and microG, any one has this issue too?

• Sad
Reactions: eboelens

TomOehser

Jan 12, 2018
Mostly seems pretty good. Broke "LawnChair2" launcher, but, that seems to be a problem of LawnChair going dormant; Hyperion is working o-k so far as a replacement, with some hassles converting. The OK Google voice activation for Assistant still doesn't work and I can't find any fixes, but that was true on 17.1 also. I *hate* the zooming wallpaper effect, makes it very hard to exactly position wallpaper vs. icons. That is an Android 11 "feature" though, so no getting around it...
New issue - seems I get into a situation where the notification light and a notification sound are coming without any notifications - even if "use notification light" is disabled... mystified at what is doing this so far, trying to figure it out. Also, Lawnchair mysteriously seems to be working...

Hi there. I upgraded 17.1 to 18.1 recently. Seems working fine on first day until I installed vanced app (i think).
Now, every time the screen go off and when it back on, i see glitches and bad palette color. And can't fix it without a reboot (and then when the screen go off the screen glitches comes back)

The display glitches with the messed up color palette might be the same bug from 17.1. To fix that I had to change the Color mode from Saturated to Boosted and it stopped.

Settings > Display > Advanced > Color

Might be a different path in Android 11, though.

Basically if the inverted color thing happens again, going to that setting and switch it to a different Color type will reset the colors back to normal without restarting. After doing that once or twice it hasn't happened after. Again, on 17.1, can't speak to 18.1 yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: FoxShadow

omino

Dec 23, 2005
Charlotte
Working fine after a week of daily use. Upgrade from 17.1 was simple by following the instructions.

The only issue I had was with Magisk. When I installed version 22.0 after upgrading successfully to 18.1, the device would get stuck on the LineageOS boot logo. After removing all modules using adb ("adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules", then boot the device), things got back to normal. Reinstalling the modules in Magisk did not create any more issues.

Overall, a very good ROM. Thanks for the effort of creating and maintaining it.

Ossify

Jun 1, 2015
Moto G7
I have an issue with "Do Not Disturb" schedules not turning off. They turn on fine but are still running the following day after the supposed end-time. I'm getting round it with Tasker, so it's not a big deal.

Thanks for maintaining the ROM and updating to version 11.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
much easier - Updater app in Settings, three dot menu, "Update recovery alongside OS"

FoxShadow

Aug 12, 2014
Moto G7
The display glitches with the messed up color palette might be the same bug from 17.1. To fix that I had to change the Color mode from Saturated to Boosted and it stopped.

Basically if the inverted color thing happens again, going to that setting and switch it to a different Color type will reset the colors back to normal without restarting. After doing that once or twice it hasn't happened after. Again, on 17.1, can't speak to 18.1 yet.
Thank you! I will try that next time. I had to go back to 17.1 by now, that never happend to me on 17.1

Thank you! I will try that next time. I had to go back to 17.1 by now, that never happend to me on 17.1
For me, if it happens, it happens shortly after booting, then a quick reset by changing the color setting will fix it, and it won't happen again until the next reboot. I noticed it happen once after plugging the charger in a minute or so after boot so maybe it's hardware related, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Moto G7

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Moto G7.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • None.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_motorola_sdm632
    I've heard that some people, including myself, have had issues with upgrading to 18.1 on some devices because it results in a broken lock screen. Is this an issue with 18.1 on the G7? I just want to make sure before I upgrade.
    In my case, at the moment it is working well, I am still testing it.

You should try to report the bug:
    • "Find any? Report them according to this guide"
    Thanks for letting me know. I decided to go with a clean flash anyway just because I think my encryption on my data partition was preventing boot and restoring from a 17.1 nandroid backup broke the system completely. So far, the ROM is very good and I'm happy that I'm now on Android 11!