[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Moto Z Play

Search This thread

Saurav2343

May 24, 2019
After 2 days without phone, I repaired it again with Rescue and Smart Assistant, and the phone turned on in Fastboot mode, but left me without IMEI. So I reinstalled Lineage and was able to get it back. For fear of bricking it, once again, going down to the official ROM, I'll stay in Lineage.

They are 2 local apps from Argentina. I think the incompatibility stems from the local development of the apps, and not from the ROM, which so far works perfectly (except that you can't lock the phone with your fingerprint).
I use Microsoft authenticator, and it works perfect.
Hi there, I followed the same steps with same results. Finally found that the network not recognizing was due to downgrading from higher android version. So, i downgraded further to android 7 and then used the rescue tool to move to android 8 os, and it worked. Everything else is reverted to stock except the unlocked bootloader warning on the boot screen ( even though the bootloader is locked, but due to the abscence of signed boot img i suppose the message is not going anywhere.

Would want to go with the rom , If you guys can help with device certification issue. I was using Havoc 4.19 on Asus zenfone max pro m1 - there the device shows certified how?

The developer took the effort to resurrect this old device, kindly if possible look into this as well. Thanks.

marcost22

Jun 26, 2019
Moto Z Play
Moto Z2 Play
Hi all. I finally tried the rom, the experience was good, reverted back to stock due to the issue with the banking apps. Is there any possible way to make the rom recognize Playstore device certified.
Use magisk with zygisk and hide and changing the fingerprint to pixel 2. Unlike other roms LOS enforces a strict no modifications policy so this isnt allowed "shippable" behaviour

Reactions: Saurav2343

Saurav2343

May 24, 2019
Use magisk with zygisk and hide and changing the fingerprint to pixel 2. Unlike other roms LOS enforces a strict no modifications policy so this isnt allowed "shippable" behaviour
Thanks for the clarification. Tried the magisk way -
Installed the latest version,
turned on the zygisk,
added the apps to hide,
Hide the magisk apk,
Installed the CTS fix, but still some apps mainly the banking ones found the root.
(Even tried the legacy Riru still with failed response)
If you could provide a link to guide how to apply the fingerprint
Or
Maybe this is how it is supposed to be 😂
Will definitely flash the rom once I get hold of any other device. Until then stuck with Android 8😅

Thanks for taking you time off to reply. Really appreciated 👍.

marcost22

Jun 26, 2019
Moto Z Play
Moto Z2 Play
Thanks for the clarification. Tried the magisk way -
Installed the latest version,
turned on the zygisk,
added the apps to hide,
Hide the magisk apk,
Installed the CTS fix, but still some apps mainly the banking ones found the root.
(Even tried the legacy Riru still with failed response)
If you could provide a link to guide how to apply the fingerprint
Or
Maybe this is how it is supposed to be 😂
Will definitely flash the rom once I get hold of any other device. Until then stuck with Android 8😅

Thanks for taking you time off to reply. Really appreciated 👍.
Eh, you need to add google play services to the hidden list. Here's a guide some guy on the telegram chat made way back when, hopefully it works for you https://t.me/Z2PlayGSI/35382

maritn76

Oct 19, 2017
Moto Z Play
I have installed the lineage 18.1 ROM and it works like a charm on my moto Z play.
Congratulations to the developer for maintaining this device.!!!!

Is there a chance that lineage 19.1 will arrive?

LouizFC

Nov 1, 2014
I am having a problem with the touch-screen, it became irresponsive after flashing the ROM. I tested everything else with an USB C mouse and it works fine, the touch-screen was working on stock.

Is this a known case, are there any known fixes?

Before flashing I had OPNS27.76-12-22-9, but it presented some issues with IMEI so I decided to flash Lineage. The IMEI issue was fixed, but now the touch screen does not work

Last edited:

marcost22

Jun 26, 2019
Moto Z Play
Moto Z2 Play
I am having a problem with the touch-screen, it became irresponsive after flashing the ROM. I tested everything else with an USB C mouse and it works fine, the touch-screen was working on stock.

Before flashing I had OPNS27.76-12-22-9, but it presented some issues with IMEI so I decided to flash Lineage. The IMEI issue was fixed, but now the touch screen does not work
I'm guessing you had a screen replacement?

Reactions: LouizFC

marcost22

Jun 26, 2019
Moto Z Play
Moto Z2 Play
You guessed quite right, I had a screen replacement in the past
Not a true guess, it's a known issue with counterfeit screens that don't adhere to synaptics reset procedures. As timings were tightened to include newer devices (Z2 play for example) this screens stop working. As we use a unified kernel, this issue arises. I haven't found a way to identify them in sw to use a workaround

Could you get me a logcat by any chance?

LouizFC

Nov 1, 2014
Not a true guess, it's a known issue with counterfeit screens that don't adhere to synaptics reset procedures. As timings were tightened to include newer devices (Z2 play for example) this screens stop working. As we use a unified kernel, this issue arises. I haven't found a way to identify them in sw to use a workaround

Could you get me a logcat by any chance?
Thanks for the quick response. I think I could, the only issue is that I cannot authorize ADB on the device because of the USB C mouse. I will get a way to access the device remotely, I think RustDesk can do it.

When I generate the logs, should I add them here or shoud I PM them to you?

D

Deleted member 12512465

I'm guessing you had a screen replacement?
I also replaced the screen, and the LineageOS18.1 20230322 version is still giving me problems with the touch screen, I went back to the stock rom and the touch screen works normally. MOTO Z play XT1635-02 (Translated by DeepL)

Last edited by a moderator:

smogan

Jan 10, 2011
Rosenheim
SD Card is not recogniced!

I have two Addisons. On both I installed this ROM. Phone number One is a singe-sim device. Here everythin is okay. SD Card is visible in system with full access as expected.

Phone number Two is a doube-sim device. SD Card access under TWRP works fine. Inside this system the card is not show in any way. Tried different cards. The phone behaves as if there is no card slot. Reinstalled Lineage OS nightlies a couple of times. Always the same. Reverted the phone back to stock ROM... SD-Card works fine.

Andrea25

Nov 7, 2015
This ROM is amazing the best I have tried so far. Is there any work around to get the SD card to work? My device model is XT1635-02 and the SD card doesn't seem to be recognized by the files app.

SoundDrill

Oct 21, 2022
Nokia Lumia 820
OnePlus One
Hi all. I finally tried the rom, the experience was good, reverted back to stock due to the issue with the banking apps. Is there any possible way to make the rom recognize Playstore device certified.
In my experience, you simply use a recommended play store like mindthegapps and log in while configuring the device(instead of after). Might be hit or miss, most of my custom ROMmed phones have play certification.

SoundDrill

Oct 21, 2022
Nokia Lumia 820
OnePlus One
- MB; yes there is, it's just the latest Oreo firmware, on retail channel that would be OPNS27.76-12-22-9
- ARM64 A-Only, given that this device has no A/B support

Also aren't you the guy that made acc?
I have successfully booted many A/B roms.

Booting:
1. Phh's Roar(android 11), arm64, ab, floss(latest build at the time of testing)
2. Phh's AOSP(android 12), arm64, ab, floss(latest at the time of testing)
3. LineageOS 20 TD(android 13), arm64, ab, bvN. (hit or miss)
4. CarbonOS 9 by NipponGSI(android 11), AB

Method I've used:
0. Install LineageOS from here, and TWRP/PBRP.
1. Backup your data, EFS and relevant partitions using TWRP or my PBRP build(lemy me know of any problems in my thread)
2. extract .xz file
3. Copy the img file to your usb drive(connect via usb otg) or sd card.
4. Mount system partition and wipe it. If it fails, simply reboot to recovery and try this step again
4. Flash it as the system partition
5. Reboot to recovery(might bootloop otherwise)
5. (This is important) Wipe the following partitions using advanced wipe:

Dalvik/ART
Substratum Overlays
Magisk Modules
Data(back it up manually or using recovery)
Internal Storage
Cache

(if you see a system_root error, it's alright, just reboot to system)

Now you can boot!

I've tried this with lineageOS 20 trebledroid and a couple of phhusson's roms but I want to see what people find is working. I want people to share what GSIs they had good luck with.

If something is still bootlooping, reboot to recovery, and format data by typing "yes". If it still bootloops, try undoing magisk or installing lineageOS boot.img(you can get this from the zip or from lineageOS downloads) to properly undo magisk. This fixed my bootloop with lineageOS 20 TD.

I myself don't know much but common consensus seems to be that A/B seamless updates partitions and AB GSIs are the same. THEY ARE NOT, despite the confusing naming.
AB GSIs are simply GSIs that need System As Root. You can check this with hack5's Treble Info app.

I've seen tools like MakeMeSAR.zip that try to solve this problem, but I haven't tried them.

Since our addison has System As Root support and can boot AB GSIs, it is not an A only device, while it does not support seamless updates.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I,ve tried plugging the phone, the projector shuts down itself while doing it

well, unplugged projector seems to be working with a fully charged Moto Z, just now, case to case basis maybe
    Alright, I'll install lineage os and try myself as soon as I'll be back from this trip and report back.
    In the meanwhile thank you very much for sharing your experience with it!
    lineage-os-logo.png

Moto Z Play

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Moto Z Play.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • The EQ Apps for Audio Mods (eg. JBL2 App) won't work, and will crash.
    • Audio Mods have no alarm or notification audio through them.
    • Camera Mods don't (and won't ever) work.
    • Volume may be lowered when locking and unlocking the device
    • Non-original touchscreens may fail to respond
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    • Official Lineage OS builds for addison ship with full Project Treble compatibility! Flash GSI's to your heart's content after flashing Lineage. Please don't report GSI bugs here, report them instead to the GSI's maker.
      Code:
      Technical details on our Treble implementation:
      Treble is enabled with VNDK30, and VNDK runtime enforcement. VNDK runtime enforcement means that unlike most "ported treble" you'll see, ours is just as it would be from the OEM, and can run GSIs. without need for hacks or additional flashable zips. We relabeled /oem to /vendor (as /oem isn't wasn't used in custom ROMs anyway). To use a GSI, flash official Lineage, then flash your GSI, it's that simple! Flashing a factory image will likely write over /oem and remove the mock vendor image.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_motorola_msm8953
    @marcost22 there is something off about updated dated 25th june, installation size reduced 716.83 MB to 707.63 MB also, feature like tap on fingerprint to sleep is removed in this update.
    can you please consider update dated 2022-06-18 as base, this is the most stable update so far, and less issue noticed regarding low volume.
    I wrote the following script to create and install a Magisk module for re-enabling fingerprint sleep.
    Paste and run on terminal, as root.
    Code:
    (kl=/vendor/usr/keylayout/fpc1020.kl
    mod=/data/adb/modules/vr25.addison_fp_sleep/system$kl
    [ -f $kl ] || {
      echo "Device not supported ($kl not found)"
      exit 1
    }
    mkdir -p ${mod%/*}
    sed '/^key 614/s/NOTHING/SLEEP/' $kl > $mod
    exit)
    - Is there a minimum firmware base requirement?
    - Which GSI variant is supported?
    - MB; yes there is, it's just the latest Oreo firmware, on retail channel that would be OPNS27.76-12-22-9
    - ARM64 A-Only, given that this device has no A/B support

Also aren't you the guy that made acc?
    As expected, thanks. This treble implementation is such a gem!
    Yes, I'm the acc guy.
    Thanks!
    Also funny finding you here
    Which gapp i should download.. there are 6 files.. i have already tried 3 file form given link..but everytimes showing error.. plz mentioned the perticular download link of gapp

Also you are expected that if you are able to install a rom, you are able to do a little googling and reading
    @marcost22 million of thanks to you, never thought will see a official lineage os for moto z play. Its based on 64 bit ?
    I would like to say "YOU ARE THE BEST" !!

Yes, as all my roms it is a 64bits rom
    I,ve tried plugging the phone, the projector shuts down itself while doing it

well, unplugged projector seems to be working with a fully charged Moto Z, just now, case to case basis maybe
    Alright, I'll install lineage os and try myself as soon as I'll be back from this trip and report back.
    In the meanwhile thank you very much for sharing your experience with it!