• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Nexus 6

Search This thread

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Interesting Privacy article out 6 Oct, lots on the interweb today. Android in general, and also LineageOS discussed. There is the usual tradeoff between data needed for functionality and innovation vs just revenue. The point is it could be more transparent, and give users some choices.

Full article: https://www.scss.tcd.ie/Doug.Leith/Android_privacy_report.pdf
That paper doesn't understand how any of this works, and the fact it paints /e/ in a good light really makes me question it's integrity. Plus, the chart that shows the "reporting" we do to google - none of it is correct. We do none of that - unless you install gapps - which is an aftermarket user choice.

It's really hilarious that they took /e/OS and just shilled so hard for it - when they've really just slapped a new launcher and coat of paint on LineageOS, taken our device support repos, taken MicroG, slapped it together and sold it for profit. Other privacy centric OSes really do focus on privacy - ProtonAOSP, Calyx, Copperhead, Graphene, etc etc. Either the person who wrote this was /really/ misinformed or they had a reason to paint /e/ as perfect.

Not at all saying LineageOS is perfect but dang, do they harp on weird things.

Feimitsu

Aug 6, 2013
Budapest
Installed 18.1 with a dirty flash coming from 17.1 and put Gapps Stock on top. Google Camera does not work, the application opens but no image is visible on the viewfinder. Open Camera works fine so it's not a hardware problem.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Installed 18.1 with a dirty flash coming from 17.1 and put Gapps Stock on top. Google Camera does not work, the application opens but no image is visible on the viewfinder. Open Camera works fine so it's not a hardware problem.
It's possible we finally just hit that point where legacy camera applications are going to work on modern Android anymore :/

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Unfortunately it didn't. Would a logcat help / is it a known issue? Funnily enough, camera within Hangouts works just fine. But Google Camera has just a black screen with shutter button and the switch back/front camera. Both are not working.
it's an old apk, it was a matter of time before it stopped working. Doubtful we can fix it tbh.

• Sad
Reactions: Feimitsu
Oct 28, 2021
Under bugs it says that IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) does not work. Ok thats fine but LTE data stil works right? If VoLTE is not working, what is used it its place? vo-3g? I use Republic Wireless, a MVNO that uses t-mobile and sprint. Should I stick with LOS 15.1 because of that or would 18.1 work because I read that most carriers are sun setting older cellular standards sooner or later if they have not done so already. This is so damn confusing and I have been out of the phone loop for a few years. I did search but got so many conflicting results. Figured I should come to the source, or as close as possible....

Last edited:

runekock

Apr 24, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Nexus 6
Under bugs it says that IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) does not work. Ok thats fine but LTE data stil works right? If VoLTE is not working, what is used it its place? vo-3g? I use Republic Wireless, a MVNO that uses t-mobile and sprint. Should I stick with LOS 15.1 because of that or would 18.1 work because I read that most carriers are sun setting older cellular standards sooner or later if they have not done so already. This is so damn confusing and I have been out of the phone loop for a few years. I did search but got so many conflicting results. Figured I should come to the source, or as close as possible....
LTE data works fine. The phone will drop down to 3G or even 2G when calling, but as you say, some providers are closing those old nets.

However, even with LOS 15, 4G calling will only work if the phone company supports this phone specifically. Some do and some don't.

ProBird79

Jan 13, 2008
There were talks about incorporating IMS but at this point I wouldn't bet on it.

You will need VoLTE by March 31st, 2022 as T-Mobile is shutting 3g down then.

I'm using LOS 15.1 for this reason.

Oct 28, 2021
Thank you both. It's a shame about the volte not working in anything higher then 15.1, this phone has such large usable screen area with no notch. I can't stand the modern long skinny screens and notch that kills 15% of the viewable area. I am one of those people who holds my phone sideways like a TV screen for literally everything and this thing is made for that it seems. It's a poor mans dream machine. Good battery life, wireless charging. soc is fast enough for my needs (netflix, samba movies, web browsing).

mithic

Feb 11, 2016
Hi, first of all I'd like to THANKS everyone who contribute to ALL LINEAGE roms for our lovely MOTOROLA GOOGLE NEXUS 6.
For me this wonderful trip stops here because my phone have been stolen....:cry::mad:
7 years and this device was amazing!
I'm so sad to say goodbye...but life continues...(and better stay to this words..)
Specially thankful to xda developers @Elektroschmock & @npjohnson!
Stay well, stay safe.

Hammerfest

Apr 3, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Anyone know why PayPal Business lists as "incompatible" now? (regular paypal shows but I dont use that)
I will be honest, this is my backup/emergency/auth phone that sits in a lock box, but I had 15.x on it before and was running the Business App, now with latest install it's suddenly incompatible.

About to plop LOS onto my Razer Phone 2 since Razer abandoned it, wanna get this solved before I possibly run into the issue there as well.

Device passes safteynet and i did register the device so its certified in play store

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Anyone know why PayPal Business lists as "incompatible" now? (regular paypal shows but I dont use that)
I will be honest, this is my backup/emergency/auth phone that sits in a lock box, but I had 15.x on it before and was running the Business App, now with latest install it's suddenly incompatible.

About to plop LOS onto my Razer Phone 2 since Razer abandoned it, wanna get this solved before I possibly run into the issue there as well.

Device passes safteynet and i did register the device so its certified in play store
Not sure, that's a weird one. Maybe it checks some other property?

Hammerfest

Apr 3, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Not sure, that's a weird one. Maybe it checks some other property?
That was/is my thought, or maybe its not passing safteynet properly or doesnt like the "special" store cert, I might simply suffer with web portal if I cant figure it out, I REALLY dont want to go back to 15.x if possible, yall have done such a good job on keeping this old but frankly best phone alive. (Would be my main if they would release updated hardware and didnt change the size!)

On an unrelated note, it MIGHT have been OpenGApps (I use pico normally, using MTGApps now), but the MOMENT I turned off logging completely, the phone started to absolutely chug (scrolling on the developer page was jerky as all heck and anywhere else was sluggish and jerky as well), and nothing I did resoloved it (IE turning logging back on, restarting, clearing cache), I had to factory flash it to get it back to normal, afraid to touch it again. Anyone else see that (please dont try this if your happy with your current setup!)

Hammerfest

Apr 3, 2008
San Antonio, TX

@Elektroschmock you beautiful madperson you, doesnt matter what all the changes are for, yer still giving it love <3

In other news, I might have 2 parts Nexus 6 if the developers happen to need them (US based), one the battery terminal is farkled, and I have NEVER had steady hands to solder fix it, the other has that screen/digitizer separation that causes the ambient or passive sensor (cant recall its name right now) to misread, IIRC last I searched, would be an easy fix if i I had a hotbed (which I dont) and its not actually come apart from what I can tell set side by side with my good one, let me know.

Reactions: Elektroschmock

Elektroschmock

Recognized Developer
Dec 25, 2010
Winnenden
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 6

@Elektroschmock you beautiful madperson you, doesnt matter what all the changes are for, yer still giving it love <3

In other news, I might have 2 parts Nexus 6 if the developers happen to need them (US based), one the battery terminal is farkled, and I have NEVER had steady hands to solder fix it, the other has that screen/digitizer separation that causes the ambient or passive sensor (cant recall its name right now) to misread, IIRC last I searched, would be an easy fix if i I had a hotbed (which I dont) and its not actually come apart from what I can tell set side by side with my good one, let me know.
Those where just some security fixes and some minor performance improvements.
I already have two Nexus 6 devices for development purposes, but thanks for your offer.

gpatm

Jun 1, 2019
Hi all, I have unfortunately managed to completely destroy the screen and digitizer on my shamu :( .
I would like to retrieve some stuff from storage so I have a couple of questions:

Is hdmi out supported?
I think it is not but I was hoping I might be wrong and I can plug in on of those usb/hdmi out dongles and use it with a mouse.

Is there any other way to retrieve stuff from storage?
usb debugging is apparently turned off and the phone is not in tranfer mode.
The best I can do is randomly hit the volume up/down and power buttons to sometimes get it to show up on adb as an "untrusted" device.

runekock

Apr 24, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Nexus 6
Hi all, I have unfortunately managed to completely destroy the screen and digitizer on my shamu :( .
I would like to retrieve some stuff from storage so I have a couple of questions:

Is hdmi out supported?
I think it is not but I was hoping I might be wrong and I can plug in on of those usb/hdmi out dongles and use it with a mouse.

Is there any other way to retrieve stuff from storage?
usb debugging is apparently turned off and the phone is not in tranfer mode.
The best I can do is randomly hit the volume up/down and power buttons to sometimes get it to show up on adb as an "untrusted" device.
The Nexus cannot do HDMI out.

If your phone is encrypted, then it is quite impossible to get to your files. If not, you should be able to start recovery, and some recoveries such as TWRP provides ADB access. (You can flash TWRP in fastboot as long as your bootloader is unlocked).

If encrypted, you'll have to replace the screen, or alternatively put your motherboard into a working Nexus.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Nexus 6

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Nexus 6.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work on LineageOS 16.0 and above - it's possible this feature may return in the future, though it unlikely, due to severely outdated proprietary blobs.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_moto_shamu
    Interesting Privacy article out 6 Oct, lots on the interweb today. Android in general, and also LineageOS discussed. There is the usual tradeoff between data needed for functionality and innovation vs just revenue. The point is it could be more transparent, and give users some choices.

Full article: https://www.scss.tcd.ie/Doug.Leith/Android_privacy_report.pdf
    That paper doesn't understand how any of this works, and the fact it paints /e/ in a good light really makes me question it's integrity. Plus, the chart that shows the "reporting" we do to google - none of it is correct. We do none of that - unless you install gapps - which is an aftermarket user choice.

It's really hilarious that they took /e/OS and just shilled so hard for it - when they've really just slapped a new launcher and coat of paint on LineageOS, taken our device support repos, taken MicroG, slapped it together and sold it for profit. Other privacy centric OSes really do focus on privacy - ProtonAOSP, Calyx, Copperhead, Graphene, etc etc. Either the person who wrote this was /really/ misinformed or they had a reason to paint /e/ as perfect.

Not at all saying LineageOS is perfect but dang, do they harp on weird things.
    Awesome to see the continued development!!

I assume the IMS development has been dropped? https://github.com/wavedashdoc/android_device_moto_shamu
    No I'm just crazy busy, it's on my to-do list albeit low atm :)
    I can't believe my eyes!! Thanks!!!

EDIT: Wait... is this an april fools joke? -__-
    Nope! Builds are rolling right now!
    Maybe deleting the .key files like explained here could be a workaround.

Google removed the support for our legacy hardware based hashing of passwords/pins/patterns, ..
    Our wiki unfortunatly doesn't state that a wipe is needed. I'll be adding that.

Like said above maybe deleting the .key files is a workaround, but we can't make it the default install method for obvious reasons.
    Thank you for the tip an nudge in the right direction !!!
    Here is what worked for me :)
    1. In 17.1 turned off pin code locking in settings
    2. Rebooted to twrp
    3. Deleted /data/system/locksettings.db file
    I didn't have any of the "*.key" files and no other locksettings.* files (probably because I had deactived pin in settings before hand)
    4. flashed 18.1 zip [+gapps + magisk]
    5. Rebooted
    6. Started enjoying 18.1 on my shamu