[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Nexus 6

Search This thread

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
There is an XDA Forum that discusses A12 for an even older device - the Samsung Note 2. I have one, and have been running A12 (LineageOS 19.1) for months. Quite stable. Can be a little laggy but the Note 2 is not as capable as the Nexus 6. But works ok and I have many apps running and Magisk (24.1 - newer versions are a problem).

So maybe there is a way.....

Last edited:

runekock

Apr 24, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Nexus 6
Weirdly there is an XDA Forum that discusses A12 for an even older device - the Samsung Note 2. I have one, and have been running A12 (LineageOS 19.1) for months. Quite stable. Can be a little laggy but the Note 2 is not as capable as the Nexus 6. But works ok and I have many apps running and Magisk (24.1 - newer versions are a problem).

So maybe there is a way.....
Well, if we read closely what LineageOS wrote: "At the moment, with some hacky workarounds (that we won’t be merging, as they break packet filtering, etc.) legacy devices can boot"
then it does indeed seem possible, but probably not a good idea.

First of all, thank you very much sincerely for updating our decade old but loved n6. LINEAGE OS gave my n6 a 2nd life. I would never imagine this phone to run this well until i experienced it myself.

I have installed the latest may release through the updater. Updated successfully, so far the only issue i noticed is that the brightness control does nothing. It used to be fine with april nightly.

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
Well, if we read closely what LineageOS wrote: "At the moment, with some hacky workarounds (that we won’t be merging, as they break packet filtering, etc.) legacy devices can boot"
then it does indeed seem possible, but probably not a good idea.
Might not be a good idea, but working mostly fine here....

TotalChen

Dec 11, 2016
Sadly it looks like the Nexus 6 won't get LOS 19, which was released today. IIRC my Nexus 6 on LOS18.1 is on kernel 3.10.108. Still one of my favorite devices to this day. Sad if this is actually the end of the road. Thank you to all the developers for the hard work over the years.

Sorry to hear that. Pity. But I've found out android_kernel_google_wahoo and android_device_google_wahoo both on lineage-19.1 in LineageOS official repo for Pixel 2(XL) and the kernel version shows 4.4.302. Maybe this is due to the effort of the devs, however, is there still any oppotunity for our Nexus 6 to get it done like this? Pray.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Sorry to hear that. Pity. But I've found out android_kernel_google_wahoo and android_device_google_wahoo both on lineage-19.1 in LineageOS official repo for Pixel 2(XL) and the kernel version shows 4.4.302. Maybe this is due to the effort of the devs, however, is there still any oppotunity for our Nexus 6 to get it done like this? Pray.
No, because wahoo started with kernel 4.4. It just merged subversions.

we are on 3.10 lol - like 6 years behind it. And tens of thousands of commits.

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
Hurricane, WV
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 5a
Trying to setup my old Nexus 6 to be used as a navigation device for my car. Tried to install Lineage 18.1 - tried using both Open Gapps and MTG and I was unable to get Lineage to set up. Upon first boot I kept getting a FC of the Android Setup app and was never able to get past it even if I disabled the app.

Any suggestions ? Or any link to a known working combo of Lineage 18.1 and Gapps

runekock

Apr 24, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Nexus 6
Trying to setup my old Nexus 6 to be used as a navigation device for my car. Tried to install Lineage 18.1 - tried using both Open Gapps and MTG and I was unable to get Lineage to set up. Upon first boot I kept getting a FC of the Android Setup app and was never able to get past it even if I disabled the app.

Any suggestions ? Or any link to a known working combo of Lineage 18.1 and Gapps
No reason that MindTheGapps shouldn't work - you probably did something wrong...

Maybe you didn't format data?

Edit: also make sure you don't start the rom before you install gapps.

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
Hurricane, WV
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 5a
No reason that MindTheGapps shouldn't work - you probably did something wrong...

Maybe you didn't format data?
I actually think it was because I thought I had upgraded my bootloader and radio before - BUt I updated those to the latest and I don't have the Android setup error any more Gotta go outside to see if GPS works

But thanks for the reply

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
Hurricane, WV
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 5a
So I got Lineage 18.1 up and running on my old Nexus 6 (been sitting in drawer for a couple years, lol).
As mentioned elsewhere I was going to use it as a dedicated navigation device in my car. Kept having trouble with GPS lock. Finally got a GPS test app for a side by side test with my S22 Ultra. The Nexus has approx 10 to 18 satellites in view and intermittently locks on to 3 to 6. While the S22 sees over 40 satellites and can lock on to over 15. Realize the radios are very different in age but my questions are:
Has anybody had this experience with difficult GPS satellite lock on the Nexus (using Lineage 18.1)? And is there a fix?
And would there be any reason to expect stock firmware to utilize the satellites any better?

alfacrux

Jan 10, 2019
Tallinn
Thanks for reply .. are you on this Lineage OS?
Yes, it is still installed. It was a long journey from december 2015 to 2022, starting to some CyanogenMod to LineageOS 18.1. Never ran stock Android and always no Gapps. But as it now switches off if battery drops below 60%, then I switched to Pixel 6 Pro.
Planning to use Nexus 6 as a car navigation system...

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
Have used Nexus 6 / LineageOS 18.1 as navigator, no problems in 5 countries, 6 states, and using 3 different nav systems: Maps.Me Here We Go, and Google Maps. GPS has been fine.

@jcrompton : sounds like battery is dying. Calibration very suspect; it can easily be well below 60% with old battery. I just changed my battery 3rd time since 2014, OEM Motorola cost 10 Euros ($11) as phone doing similar things. Now works fine-can run all day and phone remains daily driver. It is a beast.

Lots of youTube vids how to do it, and it is relatively easy. Just have to be careful pulling off cover as it can pull out on off switch wiring.

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
Hurricane, WV
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 5a
Have used Nexus 6 / LineageOS 18.1 as navigator, no problems in 5 countries, 6 states, and using 3 different nav systems: Maps.Me Here We Go, and Google Maps. GPS has been fine.

@jcrompton : sounds like battery is dying. Calibration very suspect; it can easily be well below 60% with old battery. I just changed my battery 3rd time since 2014, OEM Motorola cost 10 Euros ($11) as phone doing similar things. Now works fine-can run all day and phone remains daily driver. It is a beast.

Lots of youTube vids how to do it, and it is relatively easy. Just have to be careful pulling off cover as it can pull out on off switch wiring.
Thanks for the reply - yeah so weird I kept trying and trying but with Waze it kept connecting and disconnecting (like every couple of minutes). GPS not available over and over .... but basically made it unusable for navigation. Maybe some sort of hardware issue??

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
i almost never use on line navigation so that might be part of it. When I check traffic, it is very intermittantly if at all. Most of my trips are less than several hours so I often know ahead of time where there might be trouble spots. Far prefer the off line navigator maps, with no data or roaming charges (if crossing country borders), and open street maps used by e.g. Maps.Me are more useful and detailed at times than e.g. Google Maps.

Maybe try off line nav systems (e.g. my first 2 above) see if that makes a difference?

Last edited:
Reactions: jcrompton

McMannes

Oct 12, 2012
I cant load any app to my phone. Cause play store always says insufficient storage. But i have 23 gb. How can i solve this problem. I did clean install

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Nexus 6

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Nexus 6.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work on LineageOS 16.0 and above - it's possible this feature may return in the future, though it unlikely, due to severely outdated proprietary blobs.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_moto_shamu
    Interesting Privacy article out 6 Oct, lots on the interweb today. Android in general, and also LineageOS discussed. There is the usual tradeoff between data needed for functionality and innovation vs just revenue. The point is it could be more transparent, and give users some choices.

Full article: https://www.scss.tcd.ie/Doug.Leith/Android_privacy_report.pdf
    That paper doesn't understand how any of this works, and the fact it paints /e/ in a good light really makes me question it's integrity. Plus, the chart that shows the "reporting" we do to google - none of it is correct. We do none of that - unless you install gapps - which is an aftermarket user choice.

It's really hilarious that they took /e/OS and just shilled so hard for it - when they've really just slapped a new launcher and coat of paint on LineageOS, taken our device support repos, taken MicroG, slapped it together and sold it for profit. Other privacy centric OSes really do focus on privacy - ProtonAOSP, Calyx, Copperhead, Graphene, etc etc. Either the person who wrote this was /really/ misinformed or they had a reason to paint /e/ as perfect.

Not at all saying LineageOS is perfect but dang, do they harp on weird things.
    Awesome to see the continued development!!

I assume the IMS development has been dropped? https://github.com/wavedashdoc/android_device_moto_shamu
    No I'm just crazy busy, it's on my to-do list albeit low atm :)
    I can't believe my eyes!! Thanks!!!

EDIT: Wait... is this an april fools joke? -__-
    Nope! Builds are rolling right now!
    Maybe deleting the .key files like explained here could be a workaround.

Google removed the support for our legacy hardware based hashing of passwords/pins/patterns, ..
    Our wiki unfortunatly doesn't state that a wipe is needed. I'll be adding that.

Like said above maybe deleting the .key files is a workaround, but we can't make it the default install method for obvious reasons.
    Thank you for the tip an nudge in the right direction !!!
    Here is what worked for me :)
    1. In 17.1 turned off pin code locking in settings
    2. Rebooted to twrp
    3. Deleted /data/system/locksettings.db file
    I didn't have any of the "*.key" files and no other locksettings.* files (probably because I had deactived pin in settings before hand)
    4. flashed 18.1 zip [+gapps + magisk]
    5. Rebooted
    6. Started enjoying 18.1 on my shamu