• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Nexus 6

Search This thread

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Thank you for the update! I tried the latest, 20210609, but it's got worse. With BT headset connected, when I started a call, it was silent on my side (caller) as before. When I switched to "phone", it became silent which was different than before. Then I tried "speaker" and then back to "phone" and it was giving sound again. Without any BT connected, when I started a phone call, it was all fine.
Was the related fix "Remove USE_XML_AUDIO_POLICY_CONF"? I saw that being applied across the board. I might be wrong. Is there anything else I need to do on my side?
that change changes nothing. The flag has been dead for about a year now lol.

But weird, so BT calls don't work?

Reactions: barnettejd

cyrildtm

Jan 21, 2011
that change changes nothing. The flag has been dead for about a year now lol.

But weird, so BT calls don't work?
They don't. All I can hear from the earpiece is background digital noise (my other better BT devices don't even have anything for me to hear).
When I search online about this issue, I can see a few people were having the same issues. Most suggested "fixes" were rebooting, resetting, and reconnecting BT. I didn't start reporting this issue here until I exhausted everything I could do on my side, except a full factory wipe. Sadly as my network is migrating to VOLTE, I will have to abandon Nexus 6 in a couple of months, and I already have another phone set up ready so I don't feel wiping by daily driver and reinstalling everything from ground up.
For the past year I have been using 16.1 on my other Nexus 6 which is broken by now. Calling with BT worked on that one.

I was hoping there was a magic switch to turn off the new noise reduction / noise cancelling implementation in newer Android versions, so things can fall back to the way in LOS 16.1. I might be wrong but I believe it's somehow related, since according to my initial investigation, messing around with "fluence" did bring some changes, just not the good ones. Oh yeah BTW the noise cancelling effect is much worse in this version than before; I can hear it.

Elektroschmock

Recognized Developer
Dec 25, 2010
Winnenden
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 6
They don't. All I can hear from the earpiece is background digital noise (my other better BT devices don't even have anything for me to hear).
When I search online about this issue, I can see a few people were having the same issues. Most suggested "fixes" were rebooting, resetting, and reconnecting BT. I didn't start reporting this issue here until I exhausted everything I could do on my side, except a full factory wipe. Sadly as my network is migrating to VOLTE, I will have to abandon Nexus 6 in a couple of months, and I already have another phone set up ready so I don't feel wiping by daily driver and reinstalling everything from ground up.
For the past year I have been using 16.1 on my other Nexus 6 which is broken by now. Calling with BT worked on that one.

I was hoping there was a magic switch to turn off the new noise reduction / noise cancelling implementation in newer Android versions, so things can fall back to the way in LOS 16.1. I might be wrong but I believe it's somehow related, since according to my initial investigation, messing around with "fluence" did bring some changes, just not the good ones. Oh yeah BTW the noise cancelling effect is much worse in this version than before; I can hear it.
You might try to disable voice match

cyrildtm

Jan 21, 2011
You might try to disable voice match
Thank you, Elektroschmock! That worked. I only turned off Voice Match in Google Assistant, not "Okay Google" in Google Maps during navigation. And phone voice is working with and without navigation in foreground and background.
This is a good enough solution for me, since "Okay google" is not that responsive when the phone is idle anyway (because N6 does not have an always-active voice processing circuit, so far as I understand.
Let me collect my memory about what I have done. When I booted my phone into safe mode, no user apps were enabled, and the phone voice was working. I didn't bother to disable-enable each of my 100+ apps one at a time, but I did try with a dozen that had "Phone" permission granted, * including Google Assistant *. Disabling Google Assistant did not make it, though. Following Elektroschmock's instruction, disabling voice match while leaving google assistant installed worked.
It's interesting to see how Google has evolved along the years when they claimed they tried to improve device compatibility.

Reactions: dbrickg

TravMan_63

Oct 14, 2018
Nexus 7
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Hello,
Thank you for the work put into this ROM.
I had not visited the forums nor installed a new ROM for a couple of years (was running Nitrogen - Pie) - I had to 'relearn' ...

(I started 1st custom ROM back with JBSourcery on a Galaxy Nexus)...

Nitrogen on the Nexus 6 had too many frequent need to reboot for camera/flashlight, or the phone just randomly indicating 'No SIM ' and doing 'something like' a GUI reboot. (removing and re-seating the SIM did nothing) as well as 2 years running and becoming really laggy...

I initially flashed Arrow with their recommended Gapps - and had several applications I couldn't run (noteably acar could not import data) issues with syncing google apps.

(sorry for the long intro)
Installed Lineage 2021.06.29 and 'all the troubles' were gone. The setup went very smoothly.

I am running build# RQ3A.210605.005 7074f5a3f4

Acar imported data just fine (about 10 years worth!)
Response is much better.
No Sim issues like I had with Nitrogen/no 'GUI restarts'

3 similar issues (Arrow and Lineage) - Google Camera shows black screen (using pre installed camera and open camera work fine - reboots and all no issues with that or flashlight)

I notice application 'droid Info' - doesn't read thermal or CPU

One other similar issue - which I thought had completed / not an issue - is SprintDM - the configuring network never finishes.... (it's been running 6 hrs at this moment)

and - I just discovered (attempting to send MMS - which failed)- I do not have cellular data (I am on Sprint/T-Mobile)

Calls and SMS work fine -
--
Is there a known fix for the SprintDM issue?
--

runekock

Apr 24, 2012
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 2 XL
3 similar issues (Arrow and Lineage) - Google Camera shows black screen (using pre installed camera and open camera work fine - reboots and all no issues with that or flashlight)

and - I just discovered (attempting to send MMS - which failed)- I do not have cellular data (I am on Sprint/T-Mobile)
Google Camera: you'll need to go back to version 3. Version 4 doesn't run on Lineage 18.

Data: check APN. Also, flash latest baseband if you have an old one - the latest is MDM9625_104670.31.05.51R

TravMan_63

Oct 14, 2018
Nexus 7
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Thank you for the quick reply

I found this thread , which lead to this 1GB download (wow)
from Q9Nap
also this older thread from 2012

APN - referring to - settings - network & internet - Mobile network - Advanced - Access Point Names
This is set to Sprint LTE internet - I believe this is correct.

My current Baseband version = MDM9625_104662.2205.34R
About phone>Android version
---
I would think the baseband file would be relatively small - do you have a source?

Then would this (baseband file) simply be flashed via TWRP?

runekock

Apr 24, 2012
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 2 XL
Thank you for the quick reply

I found this thread , which lead to this 1GB download (wow)
from Q9Nap
also this older thread from 2012

APN - referring to - settings - network & internet - Mobile network - Advanced - Access Point Names
This is set to Sprint LTE internet - I believe this is correct.

My current Baseband version = MDM9625_104662.2205.34R
About phone>Android version
---
I would think the baseband file would be relatively small - do you have a source?

Then would this (baseband file) simply be flashed via TWRP?
APN: you'll need to check the settings within the Sprint entry. Sprint should list the needed settings somewhere on their website.

Baseband: sometimes people have made TWRP-flashable files, but if you can't find one, then download the complete stock rom from https://developers.google.com/android/images and fastboot flash just the radio image (you can see the command in the flash-all batch file). Or - if you don't mind losing the files on your phone - flash the complete stock rom, which will also update other partitions such as the bootloader.

TravMan_63

Oct 14, 2018
Nexus 7
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Thank you again.

Report: (concerning data for Sprint (US) ) and Sprint DM

Quick summary:
I have this working at the moment. Fix - toggle airplane mode.
This may or may not stick (keep active) with reboots - mixed results.
Sometimes need to toggle more than 1x, and wait a few moments in between toggle states.
The above has worked for the last 4+ reboots and testing.
Toggling wifi on off does not work reliably - use airplane mode toggle.
Have verified MMS sending while on WIFI working OK
-------------------
Long notes:
Something new: unable to save APN

Here are the settings needed per T-Mobile / Sprint:
Note that MMS Protocol is not listed on the phone.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/de.../byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings#subhead2

Attempting to save gives no error, and no listing in the APN list.
Other methods that did work - but not every time:

Create a new APN - even though not saved, worked.
Create a new APN - only putting in the name (I used test) - then back out.

Toggle Global <> LTE (note 2nd phone same carrier/Pixel) is on global (The Nexus - is on LTE)
Also note could not view APN information on the Pixel (it is stock non modified)

Selected the available radio button APN's - then Sprint LTE - worked

(again all these would not perform as reliably as the airplane toggle).
To rule out the phone currently having issues: phone had no radio issues on the Nitrogen Pie (9) Rom just earlier this week (and ran that ROM > 1 year)
Arrow ROM (also 11( also had issues - I believe the radio did work intermittently.
---
Thank you very much for your assistance, greatly appreciated.

Good news (2 of the reasons to flash a new ROM - the camera and flash light are working 100% (there is a small delay at boot up), and no ' random partial GUI reboots' like I experienced with Pie.

fahrer17

Feb 8, 2016
Almost Berlin :)
I have never used the Lineage Recovery - have stuck with TWRP (latest) because it is easier to use and I trust it. So take all this as context. I upgraded from 17.1 to 18.1 with a simple, dirty flash, and then clearing cache / Dalvik. Have had no problems. I have some apps that have gotten lost when wiping Data (it is the fault of the apps and where they store things) and it is time consuming to reinstall and reconfigure. So I fought this and it has worked fine. Part of the reason is that 18 is not such a huge change from 17. A System wipe is theoretically safer/better - if you look in the earlier pages of this thread you will see there are different approaches (I tried to get a consensus on this in those comments, and failed, so I just plunged ahead). I can only say what worked for me, using latest TWRP (3.5.2). It was quite painless. Have had 0 problems.

What you must do before anything is a full backup, and store this off phone. Once you do this, you can try what ever method suits, and if necessary roll it back and try an alternative if that does not work. That was my plan - try the simplest way first, knowing if there was a problem, I could recover all. I know how all this behaves in TWRP, less so with LOS recovery as I have never used it for real-I tried it and removed it as it seemed less powerful and / or I did not want to do the necessary learning. (You should not have both on your phone so you have to choose) and make sure the recovery image is stored in Recovery, not the Boot partition. Either way, just make sure you have a full backup first and you really cannot go wrong.
Tank you and sorry for my very late reply :(
Unfortunately I didn't receive any notification when you answered my question.

As I was pretty impatient to update my N6 I formated everything and installed TWRP+CrDroid (I guess, not sure atm).
It is not my daily phone any more and I didn't have much time to play around so it ran out of battery and is lying around.
But as soon as possible I'd like to give LOS18 a try.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Nexus 6 is on the latest nightly and has this issue as well. Any chance of a fix? And thank you for keeping this device updated!
    Fixed by https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_device_moto_shamu/+/313599 - next build should be fine.
    Flashed latest nightly and still having problems with Netflix. Netflix shows error code "502.-1006" immediately when launching, disabling DRM/liboemcrypto lets it load a little further but then reports error code "501.-109" instead. Did you or anyone else manage to get it working successfully? Thanks
    Looking into it.
    Can I flash this on Nexus's 6 latest TWRP instead of installing Lineage OS Recovery?
    This was asked and answered 8 posts above.
    It might work, but we just don't know it.
    TWRP for Shamu is maintained by nobody and is probably outdated.
    Echo in Hangouts an other apps using webrtc should be fixed with lineage-18.1-20210721-nightly-shamu-signed
    lineage-18.1-20210721-nightly-shamu-signed upgrade results no camera application...
    Edit: some reboots and camera is back
    :)
    This is a well known bug since 15.1 which we unfortunately can't fix.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Nexus 6

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Nexus 6.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work on LineageOS 16.0 and above - it's possible this feature may return in the future, though it unlikely, due to severely outdated proprietary blobs.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_moto_shamu
    Awesome to see the continued development!!

I assume the IMS development has been dropped? https://github.com/wavedashdoc/android_device_moto_shamu
    No I'm just crazy busy, it's on my to-do list albeit low atm :)
    I can't believe my eyes!! Thanks!!!

EDIT: Wait... is this an april fools joke? -__-
    Nope! Builds are rolling right now!
    Seeing about the same as your 2.
    I don't have a sim in it (not my main phone) but can't get in after inputting pin code... screen goes dark and then comes back to asking for pin code (as if lockscreen reboot).
    No adb acces (since not pin unlocked) to grab a logcat.

Have a full twrp backup so did some tests :
    * Tried deactivating pin in 17.1 before upgrading --> same issue (upon swipping up from lockscreen instead of entering pin)
    * Tried fresh 18.1 install after data wipe --> works...

Maybe deleting the .key files like explained here could be a workaround.

I am very pleased to see the next Android version coming to my N6. Thank you very, very much for your work!

But...

Than bothers me a bit. Having to re-setup every personal data and app is something I would rather avoid. Is there any chance that upgrading from 17.1 without loosing all data and apps will be possible in the near future? That would really be the icing.

Google removed the support for our legacy hardware based hashing of passwords/pins/patterns, ..
    Our wiki unfortunatly doesn't state that a wipe is needed. I'll be adding that.

Like said above maybe deleting the .key files is a workaround, but we can't make it the default install method for obvious reasons.
    Maybe deleting the .key files like explained here could be a workaround.

Google removed the support for our legacy hardware based hashing of passwords/pins/patterns, ..
    Our wiki unfortunatly doesn't state that a wipe is needed. I'll be adding that.

Like said above maybe deleting the .key files is a workaround, but we can't make it the default install method for obvious reasons.
    Thank you for the tip an nudge in the right direction !!!
    Here is what worked for me :)
    1. In 17.1 turned off pin code locking in settings
    2. Rebooted to twrp
    3. Deleted /data/system/locksettings.db file
    I didn't have any of the "*.key" files and no other locksettings.* files (probably because I had deactived pin in settings before hand)
    4. flashed 18.1 zip [+gapps + magisk]
    5. Rebooted
    6. Started enjoying 18.1 on my shamu