[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Nexus 6

Search This thread

ProBird79

Jan 13, 2008
It's no wonder that Waze is working with AA, because Waze belongs to Google.
I understand but you said you have to have Google Maps for AA to work. Does it not work with Waze alone or are you saying you don't want any map service installed?

Or they simply don't know how to use a speaker without opening a microphone as well... ;)
How else is it to recognize your speech without a microphone? How else is it suppose to work hands free? You have to have a microphone...

dwardo

Jan 15, 2011
France
Asus Transformer TF700
Nexus 6
So I have been playing around with 18.1since my dirty flash update from 17.1 and have encountered 3 issues :
1. Reboot (to system or recovery) shows the "rebooting" animation but doesn't reboot. I end up hard rebooting (simultaneously press pwr+volup+voldown for a few seconds) after a few minutes or waiting for reboot to happen
2. Shutdown does the same thing
3. Navigating through Settings leeds to freezes
Solved the first 2 with a cache wipe in twrp
3rd is more sluggishness than freezing now.

Reactions: runekock

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017

LineageOS 18.1 Review: Android 11, coming to an old phone near you​

Good find, thanks. I have had almost no problems using TWRP and find it is both a lot more powerful than the LOS recovery, but also, should one ever want to jump to another ROM, surely having TWRP would make that easier. Plus the reviewers experience with a few reboots needed with MgG etc. also suggest some caution. (Have had no problems with the OpenGapps Pico beta, apart from the Google camera and Maps.Me not working.) The review article is a useful features overview.

Reactions: Markeee

runekock

Apr 24, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Nexus 6
Good find, thanks. I have had almost no problems using TWRP and find it is both a lot more powerful than the LOS recovery, but also, should one ever want to jump to another ROM, surely having TWRP would make that easier. Plus the reviewers experience with a few reboots needed with MgG etc. also suggest some caution. (Have had no problems with the OpenGapps Pico beta, apart from the Google camera and Maps.Me not working.) The review article is a useful features overview.
As to the reviewers problems with gapps, there is a likely explanation in a comment from @duckyduck!

"After flashing lineage rom recovery changes slot to another slot like if a then to b or b to a.
U need to reboot to recovery again after flashing rom and then flash gapps."

If that is the case, then it doesn't matter on Shamu, which doesn't have A/B partitions.

pdm2007

Sep 28, 2017
Nexus 6/shamu LineageOS 18.1 20210414 PlayMarket is uncertified

Google Nexus 6 (shamu) LineageOS 18.1: lineage-18.1-20210414-nightly-shamu-signed Build date: Wed Apr 14 04:38:09 UTC 2021

I installed the latest lineage-18.1-20210414-nightly-shamu-signed and lineage-18.1-20210414-recovery-shamu using these instructions:

I tried to use different bootloaders - but it didn`t help:

| lineage-18.1-20210407-recovery-shamu |
| lineage-18.1-20210401-recovery-shamu |
| lineage-17.1-20210331-recovery-shamu |

Current play market`s version is 24.9.17-21 [0] [PR] 367727371

While updating through recovery - I used MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210412_124103

I read the article from Lineage os: https://lineageos.org/Google-Play-Certification/
But the solution after registration of the device's GSF ID - didn't work :(

Has someone experienced that? And maybe there is a fix?

Screenshot_20210420-232600_Settings.png
Screenshot_20210420-232609_Settings.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210420-223741_Google_Play_Store.png
    Screenshot_20210420-223741_Google_Play_Store.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 29

pdm2007

Sep 28, 2017
Nexus 6/shamu LineageOS 18.1 20210414 PlayMarket is uncertified

Google Nexus 6 (shamu) LineageOS 18.1: lineage-18.1-20210414-nightly-shamu-signed Build date: Wed Apr 14 04:38:09 UTC 2021

I installed the latest lineage-18.1-20210414-nightly-shamu-signed and lineage-18.1-20210414-recovery-shamu using these instructions:

I tried to use different bootloaders - but it didn`t help:

| lineage-18.1-20210407-recovery-shamu |
| lineage-18.1-20210401-recovery-shamu |
| lineage-17.1-20210331-recovery-shamu |

Current play market`s version is 24.9.17-21 [0] [PR] 367727371

While updating through recovery - I used MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210412_124103

I read the article from Lineage os: https://lineageos.org/Google-Play-Certification/
But the solution after registration of the device's GSF ID - didn't work :(

Has someone experienced that? And maybe there is a fix?

View attachment 5285741View attachment 5285743

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    1.7 MB · Views: 7

alfacrux

Jan 10, 2019
Tallinn
Overall 18.1 is working great (no gapps here). The only thing was, that sometimes after the reboot the camera app was missing. Usually then a reboot (or shutdown/start) brought it back.
However - after update to lineage-18.1-20210421-nightly the camera app is just missing and no reboot or shutdown/start brings it back... Anybody else with this problem?
Edit: Inserted SIM (was testing PinePhone) and the camera app was back. Could the presence of SIM be related to camera initialization process?

Last edited:

Elektroschmock

Recognized Developer
Dec 25, 2010
Winnenden
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 6
Overall 18.1 is working great (no gapps here). The only thing was, that sometimes after the reboot the camera app was missing. Usually then a reboot (or shutdown/start) brought it back.
However - after update to lineage-18.1-20210421-nightly the camera app is just missing and no reboot or shutdown/start brings it back... Anybody else with this problem?
Edit: Inserted SIM (was testing PinePhone) and the camera app was back. Could the presence of SIM be related to camera initialization process?
No, there is a small chance to hit a race condition where some dependant services don't come up with the right timing.

I tried to mitigate the chance to hit that race condition with these commits:

Everthing that has an influence on the boot timing can trigger or mitigate the race condition.

Things like: Power profile, number of installed apps, device temperature, cpu binning, ...

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
So all these excellent screen shots don't show anything about certification (which is found in a Google Play settings menu).

But what exactly is your problem that makes you think you require Google Play Protect certification?

My phone is un-certified. Actually I am personally also un-certified. And yet, we both work fine.....

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
April 7th update installed.
Version 4.2.035.141213305 google camera & DMConfig Updater issue as previously described.
Open camera & system camera work well.
No other issues detected so far,
Many thanks.
Fixed the DMconfig issue, next build should be fine. - Google Camera idk, you'd need to use the old APK, and even then not sure it will work on Android 11.
What about all the functionalities that OpenGaps Pico does not include? Are they included in MTG?

I always and intentionally use Pico, because PlayStore is the only GAPP I want on my phone. Can MTG be stripped down to this as well?

Another question: a recent version of TWRP for the N6 is not available on their site. The LOS recovery doesn't offer the options to wipe any specific partition, and I can't find instructions in the installation guide. How can the data partition be wiped instead?
Lineage Recovery can too... click "Wipe" and pick either cache, data, or system. It uses format for all of them.
Clean installed 18.1 updated to 0407-nightly running super smooth and solid only issues I'm having is still getting the msg DM Config Update Keeps Stopping on reboots and Paypal mobile and Paypal Pay-Here apps don't work ?

Fixed the DMconfig issue, next build should be fine. PayPay is due to SafetyNet likely, which we don't (and won't) pass.
Phew! I just had some very exciting moments doing the upgrade. I decided to take the conventional method using TWRP. This is how I did it:

- deactivated screen lock (but forgot to deactivate SIM pin...)
- installed TWRP using fastboot
- booted into TWRP and made a full backup onto a USB memory
- made sure that backup could be restored
- wiped system partition and cache
- installed the image and MtG, that I had copied on the same USB before
- wiped cache again
- rebooted system

System started, but when SIM pin was requested, system rebooted instantly. Bummer!

- rebooted into TWRP
- deleted the lock db
- removed SIM
- rebooted system

System came up and was running and all apps where still installed. Great! After a few moments I inserted the SIM and was asked for the pin. The SIM was unlocked and network was working! Hurray! :)

After playing with the phone for about half an hour now there's only one think I'm missing: there used to be an option to kill an app by holding down the back button for some seconds. I can't find that option any more. Has it been removed?

On the other hand, there are two apps now, that I would rather not have on my phone: Google and voice search. I assume they are part of the MtG package. I can not uninstall them. Will I be able to get rid of them by reinstalling the LOS image plus OpenGaps Pico, once those package is available? Or will installing OpenGaps break any dependencies?

One error message keeps reappearing saying "DM config update failed". Should I be worried about this? What to do about this message?
Fixed the DMconfig issue, next build should be fine. - Good to hear you could upgrade like that but I wouldn't recommend this to others, as I'm not sure it covers all cases.
About wiping system:
Installing a rom always wipes system, however most roms have a survival mechanism (addon.d) that other things flashed can opt into. That's how gapps survives an ordinary update.

If you perform a big upgrade like this one, then it is a good idea to wipe system before to break the survival, as your gapps, magisk or whatever may not be directly compatible, and so are better reflashed manually afterwards.
Good advice!
And Gmail app is not working also
Refleash your gapps, or wipe your data, something isn't right, this works fine.
Actually, on my phone that error message about "DM Config Update" only appears whenever I open one of the GAPPS that are included in the MtG package: Google and VoiceSearch. Both apps are not among those apps I do want to have on my phone, so not using them is no loss to me, and as soon as a stable version of OpenGapps Pico is officially out, I will flash my phone again to get rid of these apps.
Fixed the DMconfig issue, next build should be fine.
Anybody else having problems with smb1 servers ?
don't use SBM1 - bad idea, unsupported, insecure. Burn it with fire.

maddog3030

May 5, 2014
Nexus 7
Nexus 6
Fixed the DMconfig issue, next build should be fine. - Google Camera idk, you'd need to use the old APK, and even then not sure it will work on Android 11.

Lineage Recovery can too... click "Wipe" and pick either cache, data, or system. It uses format for all of them.

Fixed the DMconfig issue, next build should be fine. PayPay is due to SafetyNet likely, which we don't (and won't) pass.

Fixed the DMconfig issue, next build should be fine. - Good to hear you could upgrade like that but I wouldn't recommend this to others, as I'm not sure it covers all cases.

Good advice!

Refleash your gapps, or wipe your data, something isn't right, this works fine.

Fixed the DMconfig issue, next build should be fine.

don't use SBM1 - bad idea, unsupported, insecure. Burn it with fire.
Unfortunately I have some old equipment that are not smb2 so I'm stuck with it for the meantime I did find a workaround so I'm good thanks

dvdram

Jun 30, 2014
I understand but you said you have to have Google Maps for AA to work. Does it not work with Waze alone or are you saying you don't want any map service installed?

Sorry for the long delay! I did not consider Waze, because I do not think of Waze and GM as two different apps. They are both made by Google, and a.f.a.i.k. they both work online only. Osmand, on the other hand, stores its maps on the phone and thus doesn't require any online connection while driving, and that is my preference.

How else is it to recognize your speech without a microphone? How else is it suppose to work hands free? You have to have a microphone...

Yes, you're right about that, but try to look at it like this: the microphone is needed when I speak, the speaker is needed when I am listening. So, why does the microphone need to be accessed, when I only want to listen to music? That does not make much sense, does i?

Fixed the DMconfig issue, next build should be fine. -

Yes, that issue is solved. Thanks for that! :)

dvdram

Jun 30, 2014
I found a small bug:

In the screen saver's options there's one setting to dim the clock's brightness in dark envirenments.

settings > display > screen saver > clock > settings > night mode

That setting is not being kept: deselecting "dimming in dark environment", does not make any difference, and when entering the menu again, that option is marked again.

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
i cant load any apps, it always say insufficient storage in play store. How i can solve this problem
Time for a phone clean out. Look in Settings Storage and see how much free space you still have - will give you an idea of how much to chop. Delete some junk photos, old apps, music files after 1990 (just kidding). Might use CC Cleaner app (carefully)-it will clear out lots of junk but be slow and careful what you allow (and watch permissions). Then in Settings, Apps, PlayStore - clear cache and storage (carefully so you are sure you can recover all settings). Then try again. Avoid any solutions involving dynamite, vacuum cleaners, hydrochlorozine, or bleach.

michele72

May 30, 2010
Nexus 6
Xiaomi Poco F1
Can't seem to get Viper4android working on LineageOS18/android 11...otherwise working great :)... Until the V4A fix I'm perfectly happy waiting it out on LOS 17.1

Hi, I have the same problem, in the past (including on another device on A11, Poco F1) I was always able to get it working. Here is what I attempted and that in the past at the end worked:
  • Installed Viper 2.7.2.1 Magisk module, rebooted, granted SU permission.
  • V4A prompted for the installation of the driver, granted, rebooted and V4A asks again. So the problem is that the installation of the driver in the system fails.
  • Attempted to install Busybox in various ways (Meefik in play store, both via the app and via the Recovery zip method, and Stericson via play store, which usually works because it allows tro try system/xbin and system/bin, but this as well failed) . I am pretty sure that V4A uses Busybox in some way to install the driver so since Busybox fails to install, V4A fails to install the driver too.
  • OR, Busybox is no longer required for the installation of V4A, BUT.... the fact that there is no way to install Busybox in the system has the same root cause of the failed installation of V4A driver too! So I investigated this more
  • It turns out that there is no way to mount the system as RW in this version of LOS? I tried everything and it just doesn't mount as RW, so I am not wondering why both Busybox and V4A fails to install.
Maybe can this be tackled in some way by the DEVs? This was definitely working in the previous version 17.1

Reactions: spiral777

muppetmania

May 22, 2012
Napier
lice.muppetz.com
Does anyone have Netflix working? I use a DRM Checker and it shows that this ROM (or maybe it's because of the MindTheGApps package?) doesn't have Widevine at all. So Netflix won't work - I don't even get a sign in screen, just an error. I assume this is because it can't initalise the Widevine DRM.

I did a full wipe before installing!

Reactions: BDroidz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Nexus 6

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Nexus 6.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.

Official Builds:
    Unofficial - built once a month by me, includes GApps and Pixel goodies:
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work on LineageOS 16.0 and above - it's possible this feature may return in the future, though it unlikely, due to severely outdated proprietary blobs.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_moto_shamu
    Interesting Privacy article out 6 Oct, lots on the interweb today. Android in general, and also LineageOS discussed. There is the usual tradeoff between data needed for functionality and innovation vs just revenue. The point is it could be more transparent, and give users some choices.

Full article: https://www.scss.tcd.ie/Doug.Leith/Android_privacy_report.pdf
    That paper doesn't understand how any of this works, and the fact it paints /e/ in a good light really makes me question it's integrity. Plus, the chart that shows the "reporting" we do to google - none of it is correct. We do none of that - unless you install gapps - which is an aftermarket user choice.

It's really hilarious that they took /e/OS and just shilled so hard for it - when they've really just slapped a new launcher and coat of paint on LineageOS, taken our device support repos, taken MicroG, slapped it together and sold it for profit. Other privacy centric OSes really do focus on privacy - ProtonAOSP, Calyx, Copperhead, Graphene, etc etc. Either the person who wrote this was /really/ misinformed or they had a reason to paint /e/ as perfect.

Not at all saying LineageOS is perfect but dang, do they harp on weird things.
    I can't believe my eyes!! Thanks!!!

EDIT: Wait... is this an april fools joke? -__-
    Nope! Builds are rolling right now!
    Awesome to see the continued development!!

I assume the IMS development has been dropped? https://github.com/wavedashdoc/android_device_moto_shamu
    No I'm just crazy busy, it's on my to-do list albeit low atm :)
    Maybe deleting the .key files like explained here could be a workaround.

Google removed the support for our legacy hardware based hashing of passwords/pins/patterns, ..
    Our wiki unfortunatly doesn't state that a wipe is needed. I'll be adding that.

Like said above maybe deleting the .key files is a workaround, but we can't make it the default install method for obvious reasons.
    Thank you for the tip an nudge in the right direction !!!
    Here is what worked for me :)
    1. In 17.1 turned off pin code locking in settings
    2. Rebooted to twrp
    3. Deleted /data/system/locksettings.db file
    I didn't have any of the "*.key" files and no other locksettings.* files (probably because I had deactived pin in settings before hand)
    4. flashed 18.1 zip [+gapps + magisk]
    5. Rebooted
    6. Started enjoying 18.1 on my shamu