[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Nexus 6

Search This thread

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
Just a short thanks to the devs for the updates, keeping the Nexy sexy.

I do have a question - what is a firewall app of choice? I have been trying AF+ for some weeks and no matter how I tweak it, it can have trouble with WiFi, especially switching networks. If I disable, connect somewhere, then re-enable, it is fine. Just a pain. Seems ok at home, but once I start moving around, it can be a issue. This started in July - it had been fine previously. Not sure if any tweaks were added to WiFi management on the LineageOS side (does not seem so when I look through the changes).

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks

cavh17

Mar 5, 2021
Nope it doesn't. Drm info shows no widevine support. Unless I'm reading it wrong. There's no widevine tab at all.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Just a short thanks to the Devs for keeping all humming - big update this week.

There is an LineageOS 19/ A12 build out for Nexus 6 Shamu but I dunno, reports suggest it is not as stable as what we have here. See https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-unofficial-lineageos-19-1-for-nexus-6.4443649/page-1

Has there been any thought about an LineageOS 20 / A13 ROM?
Nope. We have kernel 3.10 without BPF support, so we can't ever properly run anything over 18.1 officially.

It will always have broken net traffic stats, app isolation, data restrictions, etc.

dwardo

Jan 15, 2011
France
Asus Transformer TF700
Nexus 6
On another note my shamu's 2nd battery has died after 4 years (getting the Sudden Shutdown at 54% 😢).

So I just ordered a new battery cause I can't let my shamu go !
Replacement battery came in last saturday... Swapped it in ASAP and after 3 charge cycles accubattery says its state of health is 97% vs. the theoretical 3220mAh :) !

Reactions: barnettejd

Artu900

Nov 6, 2022
Hello,

I successfully followed the install guide and have Lineage 18.1 and MindTheGApps on my trusted Nexus 6.
However, the device is not Play Protect certified now and therefore Disney Plus or Netflix are not working.

With the known GFS ID I tried to register on google's site, but during registration my ID is not accepted (the box turns red).
What can I do in order to use these above mentioned apps?

Thanks in advance!

Feimitsu

Aug 6, 2013
Budapest

KitchenGod

Jan 13, 2008
Will there be any more 18.1 releases after 2022-10-19? Or is 2022-10-19 the last 18.1 LineageOS release for shamu?

Artu900

Nov 6, 2022
Hello,

I successfully followed the install guide and have Lineage 18.1 and MindTheGApps on my trusted Nexus 6.
However, the device is not Play Protect certified now and therefore Disney Plus or Netflix are not working.

With the known GFS ID I tried to register on google's site, but during registration my ID is not accepted (the box turns red).
What can I do in order to use these above mentioned apps?

Thanks in advance!
Just to partially answer my question:
Using Magisk can solve this issues.

How can I safely install Magisk?

I found some instructions like:
1) Download magisk.apk
2) rename it to magisk.zip
3) sideload this .zip file from TWRP
4) install magisk.apk

Do these steps also work under Lineage 18.1?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Nexus 6

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Nexus 6.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.

Official Builds:
    Unofficial - built once a month by me, includes GApps and Pixel goodies:
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work on LineageOS 16.0 and above - it's possible this feature may return in the future, though it unlikely, due to severely outdated proprietary blobs.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_moto_shamu
    Interesting Privacy article out 6 Oct, lots on the interweb today. Android in general, and also LineageOS discussed. There is the usual tradeoff between data needed for functionality and innovation vs just revenue. The point is it could be more transparent, and give users some choices.

Full article: https://www.scss.tcd.ie/Doug.Leith/Android_privacy_report.pdf
    That paper doesn't understand how any of this works, and the fact it paints /e/ in a good light really makes me question it's integrity. Plus, the chart that shows the "reporting" we do to google - none of it is correct. We do none of that - unless you install gapps - which is an aftermarket user choice.

It's really hilarious that they took /e/OS and just shilled so hard for it - when they've really just slapped a new launcher and coat of paint on LineageOS, taken our device support repos, taken MicroG, slapped it together and sold it for profit. Other privacy centric OSes really do focus on privacy - ProtonAOSP, Calyx, Copperhead, Graphene, etc etc. Either the person who wrote this was /really/ misinformed or they had a reason to paint /e/ as perfect.

Not at all saying LineageOS is perfect but dang, do they harp on weird things.
    I can't believe my eyes!! Thanks!!!

EDIT: Wait... is this an april fools joke? -__-
    Nope! Builds are rolling right now!
    Awesome to see the continued development!!

I assume the IMS development has been dropped? https://github.com/wavedashdoc/android_device_moto_shamu
    No I'm just crazy busy, it's on my to-do list albeit low atm :)
    Maybe deleting the .key files like explained here could be a workaround.

Google removed the support for our legacy hardware based hashing of passwords/pins/patterns, ..
    Our wiki unfortunatly doesn't state that a wipe is needed. I'll be adding that.

Like said above maybe deleting the .key files is a workaround, but we can't make it the default install method for obvious reasons.
    Thank you for the tip an nudge in the right direction !!!
    Here is what worked for me :)
    1. In 17.1 turned off pin code locking in settings
    2. Rebooted to twrp
    3. Deleted /data/system/locksettings.db file
    I didn't have any of the "*.key" files and no other locksettings.* files (probably because I had deactived pin in settings before hand)
    4. flashed 18.1 zip [+gapps + magisk]
    5. Rebooted
    6. Started enjoying 18.1 on my shamu