[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Nexus 7 (2013, Wi-Fi) - Repartition Only (flox)

Search This thread

muellerm30

Dec 28, 2012
Hi

Just want to thank the devs for making this happen. The ROM is excelent but I am having 1 issue. I can't install Lego Super Mario no matter what I try. It won't install from the Play Store, using APK's from APKM, Pure apk, etc.

I've tried:
- complete wipe + re-install
- ive tried pre + post magisk
- changing the fingerprint in props
- tried the SAI installer
- I've cleared play store app data.

It used to work on LOS 17.1. The only reason I'm asking is that I love the tablet for me but want to give it to my kid and don't want to buy a Fire Tab.

Anyone got any tips ideas? Is it safety net? Its a big install, so is it storage? Partitions?

not be able to fix, but I included a fix that might help
oh wow thanks!

mbisho

• May 12, 2021
    Perth, Australia
    Looks like you're sending a boot image when you should be sending a recovery image?

I'm doing this:

1620869118250.png

which is what the guide tells me to do here:

1620869205519.png

mbisho

• May 12, 2021
    Perth, Australia
    that looks correct, yeah, what's the symptom? Just rebooting at google screen?

If so, be prepared to wipe your data with this, but run fastboot -w right before booting it.

In small writing "Booting downloaded image" appears and stays at the top left of the fastboot screen. That's it. Nothing else happens. The tablet is unresponsive.

Rebooting the tablet and then trying to enter recovery mode from fastboot just ends up with the dead android screen.

Doing fastboot -w before this has no effect.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • In small writing "Booting downloaded image" appears and stays at the top left of the fastboot screen. That's it. Nothing else happens. The tablet is unresponsive.

Rebooting the tablet and then trying to enter recovery mode from fastboot just ends up with the dead android screen.

Doing fastboot -w before this has no effect.
    So weird, are you running googles lastest Marshmallow factory image before starting?

ssauger

Aug 12, 2010
    I installed LOS 18.1 fresh today, beautiful so far. Is there a chance that screen mirroring will work? The device can't find any device to stream.

ssauger

Aug 12, 2010
    Thank you for the feedback. I asked cause on the unofficial Nexus 5 (hammerhead) 18.1 it is working. But not a big deal, somtimes it was nice to use wifi display. Thank you so much for supporting the device.

mbisho

• May 12, 2021
    Perth, Australia
    Lol I suspect you might have a Nexus 7, not the 2013? The original?

If not, 5.1.1 is your issue, upgrade to the newest good factory image.

I do appear to have the first gen!

I got this off a family member and had no idea there were two different versions.

Might be worthwhile mentioning this specifically at the top of the guide - others are having the same issue.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • I do appear to have the first gen!

I got this off a family member and had no idea there were two different versions.

Might be worthwhile mentioning this specifically at the top of the guide - others are having the same issue.

"LineageOS 18.1 for the Nexus 7 (2013, Wi-Fi) - Repartition Only (flox)"​

I mean, that does state the codename, and model ;p

Reactions: elbonnor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Yet another new user on LineageOS on Nexus 7 FLO(X) and massive thank you to @npjohnson for all the work you've put into it! 🧡💛💚💙💜

This ROM has made my 8-year old device feel almost brand new again, and I've tried other custom ROMs but none have been as slick & performant as this one (including the ease of installing updates) 🥳

The only issue I'm experiencing - like some others in this thread - is only the light sensor is working, everything else is not, and I have had them working with another ROM only a few days ago so it's highly unlikely that they've all suddenly failed.
      Yet another new user on LineageOS on Nexus7 7 FLO(X) and massive thank you to @npjohnson for all the work you've put into it! ❤🧡💛💚💙💜

This ROM has made my 8-year old device feel brand new again, and I've tried other custom ROMs but none have been as slick & performant as this one (including installing updates) 🥳

The only issue I'm experiencing - like others in this thread - is only the light sensor is working, everything else is not, and I have had them working with another ROM only a few days ago so it's highly unlikely that they've all suddenly failed.
      Please submit a bug ticket following the guide on the wiki, and I'll try to fix it :)
      Dear all, I carefully followed the Lineage installation instructions, but when installing the repartition script as decribed here came across the following error:
      Code:
      Verifying update package...
      E: footer is wrong
      Update package verification took 0.1 s (result 1).
      E:Signature verification failed
      E:error: 21
      This is similar to this and this issue:

However, I was able to bypass it by confirming the execution (with "Yes") and to continue the installation. The tablet boots and everything looks well. Still, I have a bad feeling that I had to execute a script with an invalid signature.

Can someone confirm that this is normal, or did I execute a malicious script? I am not sure the androidfilehost.com server is really trustworthy...?

Thanks for helping me! :)
      That script is from XDA and tailored by flox maintainers, I'll add a note about it not being signed so future people don't worry ;)
      First of all, thank you all the contributors to bring Nexus 7 2013 to life again.

I have two questions, just need quick answers.

1. Now the device is on LOS 17.1 and I've already done the re-partition step described in https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/flox/install#repartition . If I'm going to upgrade the tablet to LOS 18.1, would I have to redo the re-partition step?

2. I read that encryption will slow the device down greatly if the device's CPU doesn't support some essential instruction sets as explained in https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/nsih4i . If I install LOS 17.1 / 18.1 on Nexus 7 2013, is the encryption is on by default? If it is, how to turn it off?
      1. No, you don't. Just follow https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/flox/upgrade ;p

2. Yeah, encryption slows our device down, as we don't have the hardware to back key storage/management.

It is disabled by default, don't worry :)
      I do appear to have the first gen!

"LineageOS 18.1 for the Nexus 7 (2013, Wi-Fi) - Repartition Only (flox)"​

I mean, that does state the codename, and model ;p
      lineage-os-logo.png

Nexus 7 (2013, Wi-Fi)

Code:
      - Your warranty is now void.
      - You have been warned.
      - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
      This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Nexus 7 (2013, Wi-Fi).

Downloads:
      Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
      If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
      • None.
      • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
      Notes:
      • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
      • This device _must_ be repartitioned before installation, the only supported repartition package is the one listed in the Wiki linked above - please make sure you followed it before attempting to install!
      • `debx` support may come at some point in the future, but considering neither I or the other maintainer have one, it is unlikely, feel free to step up and do it! If you do, feel free to reach out to [email protected] and I'll help you get official builds rolling.
      Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_google_msm
      I upgraded this device and I can't seem to go through a smooth 17.1 upgrade to 18.1 because I have a lock screen pin/pattern and every time I tried, the lock screen would crash as soon as I entered my pin. I saw that some other users had this problem on other devices, just thought I might want to bring that forward here on the new thread.
      Hello everyone! Thanks for this awesome project!
      Is there a way to enable USB OTG+Charging?
      I tried to flash custom kernel from unofficial page of lineageos 18.1 (by followmsi and also ElementalX), both give me error of unsupported device.
      Well, I understand, that it is because now my devices is flox (and Kernels were made for flo).
      So is there a way to overcome this?
      Thank you.
      Not on the official kernel - you'll need to talk to the kernel developers about adding flox to their assertions.
      Why is the performance so fluid at first, then as slow as molasses after a day, and completely unusable?

I did a clean install, and this happens with both 17.1 and 18.1.

Wiped everything, data, cache, etc.... what's the solution?
      first boot is unthrottled in some places afaik, so might be exceeding typically okay thermals. Its also msm8960, and 8 years old :/
      It is slow, but I expect that with an 8-year-old device running a modern operating system.
      I find that killing each app in Recents as soon as I've finished with it improves speed. I'm not a developer, but I'm guessing that each app you use is hogging memory and clearing it frees memory, hence better performance.
      Yeah, it does.
      I upgraded this device and I can't seem to go through a smooth 17.1 upgrade to 18.1 because I have a lock screen pin/pattern and every time I tried, the lock screen would crash as soon as I entered my pin. I saw that some other users had this problem on other devices, just thought I might want to bring that forward here on the new thread.
      I didn't have lock screen pin/pattern enabled (just swipe) and dirty flashing 18.1 on top of 17.1 worked just fine. (At least I'm not aware of any problems yet.)

So, if you plan to upgrade from 17.1 to 18.1, I recommend disabling screen lock pin/pattern before the upgrade.
      Dear all, I carefully followed the Lineage installation instructions, but when installing the repartition script as decribed here came across the following error:
      Code:
      Verifying update package...
      E: footer is wrong
      Update package verification took 0.1 s (result 1).
      E:Signature verification failed
      E:error: 21
      This is similar to this and this issue:

However, I was able to bypass it by confirming the execution (with "Yes") and to continue the installation. The tablet boots and everything looks well. Still, I have a bad feeling that I had to execute a script with an invalid signature.

Can someone confirm that this is normal, or did I execute a malicious script? I am not sure the androidfilehost.com server is really trustworthy...?

Thanks for helping me! :)
      That script is from XDA and tailored by flox maintainers, I'll add a note about it not being signed so future people don't worry ;)
      First of all, thank you all the contributors to bring Nexus 7 2013 to life again.

I have two questions, just need quick answers.

1. Now the device is on LOS 17.1 and I've already done the re-partition step described in https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/flox/install#repartition . If I'm going to upgrade the tablet to LOS 18.1, would I have to redo the re-partition step?

2. I read that encryption will slow the device down greatly if the device's CPU doesn't support some essential instruction sets as explained in https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/nsih4i . If I install LOS 17.1 / 18.1 on Nexus 7 2013, is the encryption is on by default? If it is, how to turn it off?
      1. No, you don't. Just follow https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/flox/upgrade ;p

2. Yeah, encryption slows our device down, as we don't have the hardware to back key storage/management.

It is disabled by default, don't worry :)
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone