• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (All QCOM Variants)

Search This thread

s4goa

Nov 25, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S4
No need to do further research, it's probably just dual-sim i9505.

We don't support i9506 at all, it's a whole different family of device more like klte.

Galaxy S4 GT-i9507 has LTE part enhanced.
The i9506 is supported by another xda-thread, however.

there is among other S4, the

i9505
i9506 (2.3 Ghz instead of 1.8 Ghz but drains battery fast)
i9507

my guess is that unofficial LOS is there for all three of the above, but i9507 is the most tricky.

Achsel

Jan 17, 2007
@npjohnson
As already described in my post 193, I have successfully installed LineageOS 18.1 on a GT-I9505 and a GT-I9515 VE (flashed via TWRP, rooted via Magisk). It runs great on both devices. Thanks a lot for this! Due to the missing Ethernet driver I cannot activate Ethernet through a behind a OTG Adapter connected USB 2.0 3-way HUB with integrated Ethernet adapter, even via shell commands (on rooted stock ROM Android 4.4.2 it was possible). No "eth0" device is displayed after the shell command "ifconfig -a". As I have read on the Internet, you would have to activate the following options in the kernel "defconfig" file for the S4 for a USB Ethernet Adapter to work:

"CONFIG_USB_NET_CDCETHER", "CONFIG_USB__NET_RNDIS_HOST" and "CONFIG_USB_USBNET" (Multi-purpose USB Networking Framework).

Because my knowledge is far from sufficient to compile a "defconfig" file from a LineageOS installation file, I wanted to ask whether you could activate the three options mentioned with the next update.

Another possibility would be the manual activation of the modules "cdc_ether.ko", "rndis_host.ko" and "usbnet.ko" via the "insmod" command, if this is still possible with LineageOS 18.1. But these compiled modules would then have to come from the current kernel too.

Thanks in advance!
Axel

Reactions: pocketrule

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
with ubiquitous censorship on www, people tend to not believe those postings saying "all is fine". Rather the opposite is true.
what people tend to not believe is up to their own (and/or maybe up to their "filter-bubble").
I tend to believe what I can see (in this case: on my phone) and verify (in this case: in this thread here).
just read comment #214.

cit.: "It runs great on both devices."

... :cool:

Reactions: pocketrule

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Why LOS 18.1 2021-07-29 was deleted from Builds for jfltexx?
Do I need downgrade to 2021-07-22?
Builds for jfltexx
There was an edge case issue with accessibility apps causing delayed input. If it's fine for you. No worries, enjoy it :)
Flashed it just yesterday, went good so far, no errors. Wonder what's wrong with it?!
See above.
This ROM is totally broken. It's very unstable, makes the phone very hot, it's very slow and jerky and also Google products not work properly. I've tried all GAPPS but that's impossible to use it.
You must have done something wrong. It runs great here with GApps. It old hardware, but things run well.
with ubiquitous censorship on www, people tend to not believe those postings saying "all is fine". Rather the opposite is true.
Well, all is fine for real, lol
@npjohnson
As already described in my post 193, I have successfully installed LineageOS 18.1 on a GT-I9505 and a GT-I9515 VE (flashed via TWRP, rooted via Magisk). It runs great on both devices. Thanks a lot for this! Due to the missing Ethernet driver I cannot activate Ethernet through a behind a OTG Adapter connected USB 2.0 3-way HUB with integrated Ethernet adapter, even via shell commands (on rooted stock ROM Android 4.4.2 it was possible). No "eth0" device is displayed after the shell command "ifconfig -a". As I have read on the Internet, you would have to activate the following options in the kernel "defconfig" file for the S4 for a USB Ethernet Adapter to work:

"CONFIG_USB_NET_CDCETHER", "CONFIG_USB__NET_RNDIS_HOST" and "CONFIG_USB_USBNET" (Multi-purpose USB Networking Framework).

Because my knowledge is far from sufficient to compile a "defconfig" file from a LineageOS installation file, I wanted to ask whether you could activate the three options mentioned with the next update.

Another possibility would be the manual activation of the modules "cdc_ether.ko", "rndis_host.ko" and "usbnet.ko" via the "insmod" command, if this is still possible with LineageOS 18.1. But these compiled modules would then have to come from the current kernel too.

Thanks in advance!
Axel
I'll take a look!

Achsel

Jan 17, 2007
@npjohnson
I am available for any tests. I have two different combined USB 2.0 HUB 3-way Ethernet adapters (UGREEN with ASIX Ax88772 chipset, displayed driver: asix and JSDOIN with Corechip SR9000 chipset, displayed driver: cdc_ether). Both adapters work automatically on my Samsung Galaxy Tab4 (SM-T530) with LinageOS 18.1:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-unofficial-matisse-millet-lineageos-18-1.4292943/
In addition to the three options mentioned above, these six other options are activated on the Tab4 (The activated USB drivers are displayed in the "/ sys / bus / usb / drivers" folder):
"CONFIG_USB_ASIX", "CONFIG_USB_NET_CDC_NCM", "CONFIG_USB_NET_SMSC75XX", "CONFIG_USB_NET_SMSC95XX", "CONFIG_USB_NET_NET1080", "CONFIG_USB_NET_CDC_SUBSET" and "CONFIG_USB_EHSET_TEST_FIXTURE".

I have just loaded the driver for the AX88772 chip at ASIX, which should be suitable for all Android versions, and attached it below, but is apparently not needed on the Tab4 (just installed and used) and would have to be compiled accordingly.
https://www.asix.com.tw/en/support/download

Attachments

• AX88772C_772B_772A_760_772_178_Linux_Driver_v4.25.0_Source.rar
    70.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @pocketrule
    The key question, however, is which recovery do you use, TWRP or Lineage recovery?

@Retrial and @pocketrule
    As I wrote in my longer posts 249 and 256, I used the smaller "BiTGApps" package + the "BiTGApps" add-on "Google TTS" for the first clean installation via TWRP on both of my S4 versions, which ran through without any problems. But after installing the OTA updates from August (error message when backing up/restoring "BiTGApps" during installation), the system could no longer boot and it went back to recovery mode, as described. So the "BiTGApps" or parhaps only the "BiTGApps" add-on "Google TTS" (I need for a navigation app) don’t seem to be combatible to OTAs via TWRP, but perhaps via Lineage recovery.

So I made a new clean installation with the August updates on both S4 devices (GT-I9505 and GT-I9515), a reduced "MindTheGapps" (see my instructions and attachement in post 249) and "Magisk-v23.0.zip" via "TWRP 3.5.2_9-1", because I don’nt want to be without root.

The crazy thing is that with otherwise the same installation on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, the "MindTheGapps" lead to an error when mounting "/mnt/system" just during a first clean installation via TWRP, but with the "BiTGApps" + "Google TTS" also work OTAs on the Tab 4.

@npjohnson and @Retrial and @pocketrule
    Good news: 30 minutes ago I made via "Settings/Advanced/Updater" on the GT-I9515 (S4 VE) the update from today and everything runs automatically now and booting works without problems.

So I can say: My reduced "MindTheGapps", "Magisk-v23.0.zip" and "TWRP 3.5.2_9-1" are compatible with OTAs. When the next update for the GT-I9505 is out, I will also test the updater there. But I am sure that it will also work with this device.
    I wouldn't release it if OTA's didn't work lol

But your issue with MTG on Tab S4 is that the TWRP you're using does mounting of partitions wrong. It does it the old way. Maybe a newer TWRP would solve your issue?
    TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 is not compatible with OTA of official LineageOS 18.1 (at the time of my test).
    After downloading new ROM and reboot to TWRP (by Setup) I can see main TWRP menu (no update script).
    JDCTeam TWRP 3.3.1-0 Custom builds - Build 2 worked fine.
    I remember in the past OTA of Official LineageOS didn't worked with TWRP but has been fixed long ago.
    I use OTA fine with the latest Official TWRP (twrp-3.5.2_9-1), it automatically Download the new build > Reboot TWRP > Flash new build > Reboot system. 😜
    Did you use "MindTheGapps" or another Gapps bundle? Do you have "Magisk" installed for root access too? ...
    I've got BitGapps installed and Magisk, both survive a rom update.
    I also don't guarantee TWRP will be fully functional for doing OTAs. I try, but who know.
    I just wanna let you know, so far OTAs works flawlessly with TWRP. 😜
    @npjohnson
    I gained my first experience with the installation of LineageOS 18.1 with an unofficial version for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (SM-T530). The TWRP recovery is recommended there. The "MindTheGapps" package could not be installed even with a first clean installation on the Tab 4 (error when mounting "mnt / system"). With "BitGApps" there are no problems with the Tab 4 either during the clean first installation or with OTA updates.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-unofficial-matisse-millet-lineageos-18-1.4292943/

Although I had read the wiki in detail beforehand, I therefore decided on the smaller "BiTGApps" package for the first clean installation on both of my S4 versions, which ran through without any problems. Only after installing the OTA updates from August (error when backing up/restoring "BiTGApps" during installation), the system could no longer boot and it went back to recovery mode, as described.

So I realized that either the TWRP or Lineage recovery or the LinageOS 18.1 for the S4 is not compatible with "BiTGApps" and you actually have to use "MindTheGapps". However, since this bundle contains too many Google apps that I don't need, I have included instructions in my Post 249 on how to remove apps.

The wiki also recommend using Heimdall in conjunction with ADB to flash the Linage recovery and install the LineageOS 18.1. However, ADB is now only offered in the 64-bit version.

Therefore, in my Post 249, I also created instructions for flashing the TWRP or Lineage Recovery via ODIN, for which even an old computer systems with Windows XP 32-bit is sufficient. I also explain there how you can then carry out a first clean installation of the LineageOS 18.1 using an external SD card without a PC via TWRP or Linage Revovery.

The clear advantage of the TWRP compared to the Lineage Recovery is the backup/restore option, which also works great with LineageOS 18.1. You can also set your time zone and language there, among other things.

@Retrial
    Thanks for your info to OTA updates!

It greets Axel
    I have already wrote guides about it at S4 Unified Collection & Guides, in case you need anything else check there.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Samsung Galaxy S4

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for all Galaxy S4 variants.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    • jactivelte (GT-I9295)
    • jflteatt (SGH-I337) - Please note you will need to be on bootloader I337UCUAMDB or I337UCUAMDL
    • jfltespr (SCH-R970/C/X, SPH-L720)
    • jfltevzw (SCH-I545) - Please note you need to be on bootloader I545VRUSMDK
    • jfltexx (GT-I9505, SGH-I337M, SGH-M919) - NOTE: GT-I9505G is supported in this build, but due to system size space limitations it will not fit any form of GApps package.
    • jfvelte (GT-I9515/L)

If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • MHL doesn't work after LineageOS 14.1, and likely never will again, as Google dropped support for it platform-wide in AOSP.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_jf
    thanks for response and support
    This issue is now fixed. You will need to sideload the upcoming build by hand to get back on track though.

Sorry for the inconveniences.
    Good news, my GT-I9505 is updating automatically at this moment ("Update recovery" option disabled).
    Next step, activate the option to update the recovery and see if this works well.
    Thanks @npjohnson for your incredible work
    the recovery image updates the second you check the box.

after you update OS, it updates the recovery on the next boot during boot animation.

Have fun! Good to hear.
    USB otg is unfortunately broken at the moment. But you can get access to your external storage by installing MiXplorer (which I recommend in any case) and "enable otg" in settings -> more settings
    Should be fixed in next build.
    many thanks all developers - great work.

i had dirty flashed from official 17.1 with 65 installed apps yesterday
    (SAMSUNG_I9505)

rebooted to TWRP (twrp-3.5.1_9-0-jflte)
    0. wiped only system/dalvic/cache:
    1. flashed LOS (lineage-18.1-20210401-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip)
    2. MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210328_143701
    3. magisk 22.0

everything works well.

but there was to much google-apps.

i had unzipped MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210328_143701
    and reduced apps like "open_gapps-arm-pico"

deleted:
    system/product/app/GoogleTTS
    system/product/app/talkback
    system/product/priv-app/AndroidAutoStubPrebuilt
    system/product/priv-app/Velvet

and zipped again "MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210328_reduced"