• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (All QCOM Variants)

Search This thread

s4goa

Nov 25, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S4
No need to do further research, it's probably just dual-sim i9505.

We don't support i9506 at all, it's a whole different family of device more like klte.

Galaxy S4 GT-i9507 has LTE part enhanced.
The i9506 is supported by another xda-thread, however.

there is among other S4, the

i9505
i9506 (2.3 Ghz instead of 1.8 Ghz but drains battery fast)
i9507

my guess is that unofficial LOS is there for all three of the above, but i9507 is the most tricky.

Achsel

Jan 17, 2007
@npjohnson
As already described in my post 193, I have successfully installed LineageOS 18.1 on a GT-I9505 and a GT-I9515 VE (flashed via TWRP, rooted via Magisk). It runs great on both devices. Thanks a lot for this! Due to the missing Ethernet driver I cannot activate Ethernet through a behind a OTG Adapter connected USB 2.0 3-way HUB with integrated Ethernet adapter, even via shell commands (on rooted stock ROM Android 4.4.2 it was possible). No "eth0" device is displayed after the shell command "ifconfig -a". As I have read on the Internet, you would have to activate the following options in the kernel "defconfig" file for the S4 for a USB Ethernet Adapter to work:

"CONFIG_USB_NET_CDCETHER", "CONFIG_USB__NET_RNDIS_HOST" and "CONFIG_USB_USBNET" (Multi-purpose USB Networking Framework).

Because my knowledge is far from sufficient to compile a "defconfig" file from a LineageOS installation file, I wanted to ask whether you could activate the three options mentioned with the next update.

Another possibility would be the manual activation of the modules "cdc_ether.ko", "rndis_host.ko" and "usbnet.ko" via the "insmod" command, if this is still possible with LineageOS 18.1. But these compiled modules would then have to come from the current kernel too.

Thanks in advance!
Axel

Reactions: pocketrule

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
with ubiquitous censorship on www, people tend to not believe those postings saying "all is fine". Rather the opposite is true.
what people tend to not believe is up to their own (and/or maybe up to their "filter-bubble").
I tend to believe what I can see (in this case: on my phone) and verify (in this case: in this thread here).
just read comment #214.

cit.: "It runs great on both devices."

... :cool:

Reactions: pocketrule

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Why LOS 18.1 2021-07-29 was deleted from Builds for jfltexx?
Do I need downgrade to 2021-07-22?
Builds for jfltexx
There was an edge case issue with accessibility apps causing delayed input. If it's fine for you. No worries, enjoy it :)
Flashed it just yesterday, went good so far, no errors. Wonder what's wrong with it?!
See above.
This ROM is totally broken. It's very unstable, makes the phone very hot, it's very slow and jerky and also Google products not work properly. I've tried all GAPPS but that's impossible to use it.
You must have done something wrong. It runs great here with GApps. It old hardware, but things run well.
with ubiquitous censorship on www, people tend to not believe those postings saying "all is fine". Rather the opposite is true.
Well, all is fine for real, lol
@npjohnson
As already described in my post 193, I have successfully installed LineageOS 18.1 on a GT-I9505 and a GT-I9515 VE (flashed via TWRP, rooted via Magisk). It runs great on both devices. Thanks a lot for this! Due to the missing Ethernet driver I cannot activate Ethernet through a behind a OTG Adapter connected USB 2.0 3-way HUB with integrated Ethernet adapter, even via shell commands (on rooted stock ROM Android 4.4.2 it was possible). No "eth0" device is displayed after the shell command "ifconfig -a". As I have read on the Internet, you would have to activate the following options in the kernel "defconfig" file for the S4 for a USB Ethernet Adapter to work:

"CONFIG_USB_NET_CDCETHER", "CONFIG_USB__NET_RNDIS_HOST" and "CONFIG_USB_USBNET" (Multi-purpose USB Networking Framework).

Because my knowledge is far from sufficient to compile a "defconfig" file from a LineageOS installation file, I wanted to ask whether you could activate the three options mentioned with the next update.

Another possibility would be the manual activation of the modules "cdc_ether.ko", "rndis_host.ko" and "usbnet.ko" via the "insmod" command, if this is still possible with LineageOS 18.1. But these compiled modules would then have to come from the current kernel too.

Thanks in advance!
Axel
I'll take a look!

Achsel

Jan 17, 2007
@npjohnson
I am available for any tests. I have two different combined USB 2.0 HUB 3-way Ethernet adapters (UGREEN with ASIX Ax88772 chipset, displayed driver: asix and JSDOIN with Corechip SR9000 chipset, displayed driver: cdc_ether). Both adapters work automatically on my Samsung Galaxy Tab4 (SM-T530) with LinageOS 18.1:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-unofficial-matisse-millet-lineageos-18-1.4292943/
In addition to the three options mentioned above, these six other options are activated on the Tab4 (The activated USB drivers are displayed in the "/ sys / bus / usb / drivers" folder):
"CONFIG_USB_ASIX", "CONFIG_USB_NET_CDC_NCM", "CONFIG_USB_NET_SMSC75XX", "CONFIG_USB_NET_SMSC95XX", "CONFIG_USB_NET_NET1080", "CONFIG_USB_NET_CDC_SUBSET" and "CONFIG_USB_EHSET_TEST_FIXTURE".

I have just loaded the driver for the AX88772 chip at ASIX, which should be suitable for all Android versions, and attached it below, but is apparently not needed on the Tab4 (just installed and used) and would have to be compiled accordingly.
https://www.asix.com.tw/en/support/download

Attachments

• AX88772C_772B_772A_760_772_178_Linux_Driver_v4.25.0_Source.rar
    70.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For completeness, I wiped all partitions with the latest TWRP 3.5.2, installed latest LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210930-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip directly followed by the latest OpenGApps pico zip. Than after reboot and logging in with my google account, it is not possible to install apps because it says not enough storage. I tried the nano OpenGapps and also the MindTheGapps, all having the same problem. Maybe will try now without GApps to test if there are still storage problems.
    Official procedure includes formatting data partition for removing device encryption
    Just picked up this phone for 30 bucks for my brother. Flashed twrp using odin and your lineageOS rom with opengapps pico. Runs well just the battery drains kinda fast even with wlan disabled. Wondering if it's caused by the rom or if the battery needs to be replaced. (gt-i9505)
    GApps is a heavy pieceof software. Leit it settle a few days. Wlan enabled.
    Just picked up this phone for 30 bucks for my brother. Flashed twrp using odin and your lineageOS rom with opengapps pico. Runs well just the battery drains kinda fast even with wlan disabled. Wondering if it's caused by the rom or if the battery needs to be replaced. (gt-i9505)
    idle drain is here ~10 % /day (without GApps installed, Wifi, BT, NFC, Mobile Data: OFF, mobile: 2G)
    lineage-os-logo.png

Samsung Galaxy S4

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for all Galaxy S4 variants.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    • jactivelte (GT-I9295)
    • jflteatt (SGH-I337) - Please note you will need to be on bootloader I337UCUAMDB or I337UCUAMDL
    • jfltespr (SCH-R970/C/X, SPH-L720)
    • jfltevzw (SCH-I545) - Please note you need to be on bootloader I545VRUSMDK
    • jfltexx (GT-I9505, SGH-I337M, SGH-M919) - NOTE: GT-I9505G is supported in this build, but due to system size space limitations it will not fit any form of GApps package.
    • jfvelte (GT-I9515/L)

If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • MHL doesn't work after LineageOS 14.1, and likely never will again, as Google dropped support for it platform-wide in AOSP.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_jf
    thanks for response and support
    This issue is now fixed. You will need to sideload the upcoming build by hand to get back on track though.

Sorry for the inconveniences.
    Good news, my GT-I9505 is updating automatically at this moment ("Update recovery" option disabled).
    Next step, activate the option to update the recovery and see if this works well.
    Thanks @npjohnson for your incredible work
    the recovery image updates the second you check the box.

after you update OS, it updates the recovery on the next boot during boot animation.

Have fun! Good to hear.
    USB otg is unfortunately broken at the moment. But you can get access to your external storage by installing MiXplorer (which I recommend in any case) and "enable otg" in settings -> more settings
    Should be fixed in next build.
    many thanks all developers - great work.

i had dirty flashed from official 17.1 with 65 installed apps yesterday
    (SAMSUNG_I9505)

rebooted to TWRP (twrp-3.5.1_9-0-jflte)
    0. wiped only system/dalvic/cache:
    1. flashed LOS (lineage-18.1-20210401-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip)
    2. MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210328_143701
    3. magisk 22.0

everything works well.

but there was to much google-apps.

i had unzipped MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210328_143701
    and reduced apps like "open_gapps-arm-pico"

deleted:
    system/product/app/GoogleTTS
    system/product/app/talkback
    system/product/priv-app/AndroidAutoStubPrebuilt
    system/product/priv-app/Velvet

and zipped again "MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210328_reduced"