• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (All QCOM Variants)

Search This thread

droi1

Sep 7, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S4

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
@npjohnson you Comment on this?
No clue why you linked a random docker image issue thread.

I have no clue about that or how it works.

Nor why builds are failing on it?

Reactions: pocketrule

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
No clue why you linked a random docker image issue thread.

I have no clue about that or how it works.

Nor why builds are failing on it?
Sorry. I thought you could help out wit this: "Somebody could find the LineageOS maintainer for jfltexx and kindly ask them to change the BoardConfig to allow for more space in the system partition."

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Sorry. I thought you could help out wit this: "Somebody could find the LineageOS maintainer for jfltexx and kindly ask them to change the BoardConfig to allow for more space in the system partition."
No, because stock lineageos fits in this size, and can be used on the GPE version.

If I up the number the GPE version won't be able to install lineage.

Eddie Dingle

Sep 7, 2021
I can't seem to find a way to change the intensity of the vibration and haptic feedback. Is there a way?
Also the "charging status" led is either always on or not usable, is it possible to automatically turn it off when the screen is on?

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I can't seem to find a way to change the intensity of the vibration and haptic feedback. Is there a way?
Also the "charging status" led is either always on or not usable, is it possible to automatically turn it off when the screen is on?
No support for variable vibration.

And yeah, "Lights with screen on" toggle.

Eddie Dingle

Sep 7, 2021
And yeah, "Lights with screen on" toggle.
It doesn't affect the "Battery light".
No matter what position the "Lights with screen on" toggle is set to, if the "Battery Light" toggle is set to active, the led will turn on every time the usb cable is connected, even when the screen is lit up.
No support for variable vibration.
Could this change with future updates? I remeber it being a feature in the 14.1 (unofficial) build I was running previously on the same phone.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
It doesn't affect the "Battery light".
No matter what position the "Lights with screen on" toggle is set to, if the "Battery Light" toggle is set to active, the led will turn on every time the usb cable is connected, even when the screen is lit up.

Could this change with future updates? I remeber it being a feature in the 14.1 (unofficial) build I was running previously on the same phone.
1. Huh, looks like it's a platform feature we don't have - maybe someone will port it.
2. Nah. It's had people attempt to resurrect it for some time, doubtful someone will find the time to actually do it properly.

Eddie Dingle

Sep 7, 2021
1. Huh, looks like it's a platform feature we don't have - maybe someone will port it.
2. Nah. It's had people attempt to resurrect it for some time, doubtful someone will find the time to actually do it properly.
Guess I'll have to get used to it; I don't know if it's a problem with my phone but I find the haptic feedback strangely strong, it's kinda farty.
Many thanks to you and to the team.

Eddie Dingle

Sep 7, 2021
Hey, I have more noob questions.
Is it possible to display videos at 60fps properly on YouTube?
It doesn't give me the option to select 1080p60fps, the quality setting tops at 720p60fps and the video stutters badly.

x2k13

full hd 60 fps is not possible with our i9505. Even if you've got an app that shows such videos (vlc or, for youtube videos newpipe - which I highly recommend) it will stutter. We've had made some tests recently, only to find out (again), that the hardware of our device cannot play such videos
60 fps and 1080p doesn't have any advantage on this small display anyway, because you won't notice any difference.

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
I seem to be having regular issues with Wi-Fi connectivity. Is it just me? Wi-Fi stays connected but I can't load webpages, need to reboot before things work again.
just checked:
- I could download new update from today
- surf the internet

no errors here (tested with mobile data OFF and only wifi ON)

"WI-FI-enhanced MAC randomisation" ON (see Developer options) and Router with MAC filter configured ?

kel_niun

Jan 18, 2014
I am having the same problems, google play says "not enough storage" although there are 9GB left. What did you format and how? Any howto links?
For completeness, I wiped all partitions with the latest TWRP 3.5.2, installed latest LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210930-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip directly followed by the latest OpenGApps pico zip. Than after reboot and logging in with my google account, it is not possible to install apps because it says not enough storage. I tried the nano OpenGapps and also the MindTheGapps, all having the same problem. Maybe will try now without GApps to test if there are still storage problems.

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
For completeness, I wiped all partitions with the latest TWRP 3.5.2, installed latest LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210930-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip directly followed by the latest OpenGApps pico zip. Than after reboot and logging in with my google account, it is not possible to install apps because it says not enough storage. I tried the nano OpenGapps and also the MindTheGapps, all having the same problem. Maybe will try now without GApps to test if there are still storage problems.
Official procedure includes formatting data partition for removing device encryption

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Official procedure includes formatting data partition for removing device encryption
    Just picked up this phone for 30 bucks for my brother. Flashed twrp using odin and your lineageOS rom with opengapps pico. Runs well just the battery drains kinda fast even with wlan disabled. Wondering if it's caused by the rom or if the battery needs to be replaced. (gt-i9505)
    GApps is a heavy pieceof software. Leit it settle a few days. Wlan enabled.
    Just picked up this phone for 30 bucks for my brother. Flashed twrp using odin and your lineageOS rom with opengapps pico. Runs well just the battery drains kinda fast even with wlan disabled. Wondering if it's caused by the rom or if the battery needs to be replaced. (gt-i9505)
    idle drain is here ~10 % /day (without GApps installed, Wifi, BT, NFC, Mobile Data: OFF, mobile: 2G)
    lineage-os-logo.png

Samsung Galaxy S4

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for all Galaxy S4 variants.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    • jactivelte (GT-I9295)
    • jflteatt (SGH-I337) - Please note you will need to be on bootloader I337UCUAMDB or I337UCUAMDL
    • jfltespr (SCH-R970/C/X, SPH-L720)
    • jfltevzw (SCH-I545) - Please note you need to be on bootloader I545VRUSMDK
    • jfltexx (GT-I9505, SGH-I337M, SGH-M919) - NOTE: GT-I9505G is supported in this build, but due to system size space limitations it will not fit any form of GApps package.
    • jfvelte (GT-I9515/L)

If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • MHL doesn't work after LineageOS 14.1, and likely never will again, as Google dropped support for it platform-wide in AOSP.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_jf
    thanks for response and support
    This issue is now fixed. You will need to sideload the upcoming build by hand to get back on track though.

Sorry for the inconveniences.
    Good news, my GT-I9505 is updating automatically at this moment ("Update recovery" option disabled).
    Next step, activate the option to update the recovery and see if this works well.
    Thanks @npjohnson for your incredible work
    the recovery image updates the second you check the box.

after you update OS, it updates the recovery on the next boot during boot animation.

Have fun! Good to hear.
    USB otg is unfortunately broken at the moment. But you can get access to your external storage by installing MiXplorer (which I recommend in any case) and "enable otg" in settings -> more settings
    Should be fixed in next build.
    many thanks all developers - great work.

i had dirty flashed from official 17.1 with 65 installed apps yesterday
    (SAMSUNG_I9505)

rebooted to TWRP (twrp-3.5.1_9-0-jflte)
    0. wiped only system/dalvic/cache:
    1. flashed LOS (lineage-18.1-20210401-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip)
    2. MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210328_143701
    3. magisk 22.0

everything works well.

but there was to much google-apps.

i had unzipped MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210328_143701
    and reduced apps like "open_gapps-arm-pico"

deleted:
    system/product/app/GoogleTTS
    system/product/app/talkback
    system/product/priv-app/AndroidAutoStubPrebuilt
    system/product/priv-app/Velvet

and zipped again "MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210328_reduced"