[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (All QCOM Variants)

Search This thread

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Unfortunately, it cannot be used. My Samsung is acting weird. I have a lot of network problems. Telfon has no bugs on the original software, it works great. 1.the phone does not want to detect the LTE network, it keeps turning on to 3G. 2. LTE coverage is full, even stronger than 3G in my place of residence. 3. VoLTE doesn't work (my network supports VoLTE on the 800/1800/2300/2600 bands). VoLTE does not work because the phone switches from 4G to 3G network when SMS comes in or someone calls. Unfortunately, despite the "PREFERRED 4G" option selected, it does not come back to this network, even when I have USB Tethering active and I use LTE in my computer. 4.The only way to force LTE is to temporarily select 3G and then 4G, then the phone switches to LTE and stays in this network until even receiving an SMS. This software is missing the "LTE ONLY" option in the network selection. The old Samsung SM-G357FZ which has the original firmware (Android 4.4.4) works with my super SIM card. VoLTE works, the phone behaves normally, it always selects 4G automatically, even though LTE in some location is weaker. It chooses the 3G network only when the 4G network is completely lost for a minute or two. This is how LineageOS should work. 5. There is a huge difference between the original software and Lineageos when I do speed tests. On Lineageos, I fail to achieve more than 40-50Mb / s (never!) And on stock software it is always 90-100Mb / s (T-Mobile Polska network). I tested two Samsung phones, the i9505 and the i9506. Both phones are operational. You have to add in the MENU the option "USE ONLY 4G" and improve VoLTE. Without this, in many European countries it is impossible to use the telephone. In Poland, they began to turn off 2G and 3G networks, UMTS transmitters are disappearing, VoLTE4G and 5G appear instead. Without forcing the bandwidth, LineageOs becomes useless in many countries.
Custom ROM becoming useless is a common issue on all Samsung phones. The community has not managed to reverse engineer the proprietary Samsung VoLTE implementation.

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
I have here in germany running Aldi-Talk (O2 ?) the option to switch to 4G (LTE, what should be the "LTE-only"), 3G (UMTS, should be dead) and 2G (GSM) on LineageOS 18.1.

it might be that it's mobile provider dependend.
anyone else from Poland here running T-Mobile to clear this point ?

But, I'm currious that T-Mobile had switched off 2G too, cause that would exclude all phones which are only able to run 2G...

I'm also curious if LOS could do VolTe at all.
anyone ?

and if not:
I guess it won't come, cause development for S4 is nearly dead and I further guess there will be no LOS anymore for the S4 when LOS 18.1 is at it's support end (when LOS 20.x goes online, May (?) 2023)

means: there is no "You have to ..." and there had never been such thing (for an OS for free) !

the last stock for an S4 is Android 5.0.1:

what hold you off to run the phone with stock /buy another phone ?

last question:
why are you able to switch to 3G when you said before it's offline ???
me is confused.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
VoLTE will never work on the S4, or the S5.

These are from early VoLTE generations - in which there was no even semi-standard method to do it. Samsung and LG both stuffed it into the frameworks side java code and it's hopeless - there are too many subsystems working together on the stock ROM we just can't reverse engineer and tie together on LineageOS.

kowa.pi

Jun 6, 2022
1. Is there any way to add "LTE ONLY"?

2. Is there a chance to fix the option of a faster return to the 4G network?

Just these two points don't work! The rest of the software is great 100% ok!

Additional questions:

Why is there no bandwidth enforcement on Lineagos?
Such options were already available in good E3372 modems 7 years ago (the famous Huawei HiLink).
Lineageos should be more extensive in this respect.
There should be manual sorting of the bands: LTE2600, LTE2300, LTE1800, 800, 900 and so on. It would be a great thing.

Other deficiencies in LineagOS include:

1.no possibility of automatic (scheduled) turning on and off the phone at certain times (times of the day)

2. the inability to set the PROFILE (silent, home, offline, loud) at specific times (times of the day) - scheduled times and automatic start.

3. Call recording does not work on all versions of the system.

4. Unfinished screenshots (rough controls)

Last edited:

Jules_1606

Mar 17, 2021
I doubt thisis a general lineageOS bug. Maybe your baseband software is too old. Maybe you installed some strange GApps or magisk stuff.
Can you please send me instructions on how to install the latest baseband version?
The current baseband version is: I9505XXUHPK2

I have installed the gapps "MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20220224_161620.zip" and nothing from magisk.
Which gapps version is the best for the S4?

Kind regards

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: rw_on_xda

kowa.pi

Jun 6, 2022
Data transmission does not work with the latest software version. Despite the switched on transmission (both in 3G and LTE networks), all applications will say: you are not connected to the Internet. There is still no "LTE only" option in the latest firmware version. I'm going back to stock-soft, it doesn't make sense. It cannot be used, just as underdone as almost all Cyanogenmods. Let's skip VoLTE, but the "LTE ONLY" option should be. I also see no obstacles for Lineageos to have icons on the desktop for fast network switching (with one click) as standard in such cases, eg "2G ONLY" "3G ONLY" "4G ONLY". This would solve almost all problems because the USSD and SMS codes work in 4G, there is only no telephoning when there is no VoLTE option. Meanwhile, this software cannot be used only for the Internet! Why are developers having trouble adding an option to force bandwidth in 2022? Why is there no "ONLY 4G" and "ONLY LTE2600" options? I also inform that the i9505 model cannot be loaded with earlier versions of Lineage, e.g. v13 (Android 13). The message in recovery says: the uploaded software is only for the model (and here it lists available models) and the list of models listed is the one I am trying to upload soft to. The hands drop.

PS. T-MOBILE Polska in the official announcement of November 2021 announced that it will turn off the 3G network, but it does not plan to turn off 2G for the next 10 years. The reason is that disabling 2G would cut 40% of Poland from GSM telephony coverage (3G and 4G have a lot of holes) and cut off older people from the phone. We would go back to the times before GSM. GPS locators in car fleets, alarm systems, remote access and home management (GPRS) are based on GSM. Disabling the 2G 900/1800 network will paralyze the country!

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer

zyhk

May 9, 2020
hello everyone, first of all very good job.
This rom featured lag in some apps. How can I solve this?
If you consider this ROM as an alternative to a DAP (for hi-fi audio use), try Hifi maximizer and Audio jitter silencer. And change the performance profile (in the battery section of Settings UI) to "Performance".

You can get a little bit quicker response and much better audio quality from a music streaming app while having a little bit hot S4.

Edit:
You must be getting hang-ups of a music app when initializing the app at its first start-up, but it will be normal after repeating this hang-up and killing the app several times. The reasons why getting much better audio quality are a mastering quality resampling of the OS mixer (AudioFlinger) and reducing jitter ultimately.

Especially, you could get the best bluetooth audio quality under very low jitter environment by these magisk modules.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trubbs

trer253

Dec 29, 2011
Hi guys. Been reading a lot, but not sure about bootloader.

I have an S4 at&t on latest firmware. I think it's ok3 or something like that.

I remember I downgraded many times using Odin to 4.x or I'm missing something?

There is something I can do to install this rom? Most third party apps doesn't work anymore on official 5.1

Thanks

npjohnson

Recognized Developer

There is something I can do to install this rom? Most third party apps doesn't work anymore on official 5.1

Thanks
Nope, you're out of luck.

Locked bootloader and can't downgrade.

minoo14534

May 14, 2019
Rojava Kurdistan
Galaxy S4 Mic Boost

Hello I would like to increase the volume of both microphones and earpiece.
Unfortunately I don't know where to change the values in mixer_paths.xml.

I had the same problem with Galaxy S5 Cold and Galaxy Note 3.
Then I was able to change these values in Lineageos 18.1 with success.

Volume for earpiece

<!-- Play Scenario -->
<path name="handset">
<path name="rcv" />
<ctl name="EAR PA Gain" value="POS_3_DB" />
<ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="84" /> 94
</path>

Volume for microphones

<!-- Recording Scenario -->
<path name="rec-main-mic">
<path name="main-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="95" /> 114
</path>

<path name="rec-sub-mic">
<path name="sub-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="95" /> 114
</path>

But Galaxy S4 in the mixer_paths.xml I can't find these values.

Thank you for your tips and help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks
    Nope, you're out of luck.

Locked bootloader and can't downgrade.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Samsung Galaxy S4

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for all Galaxy S4 variants.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    • jactivelte (GT-I9295)
    • jflteatt (SGH-I337) - Please note you will need to be on bootloader I337UCUAMDB or I337UCUAMDL
    • jfltespr (SCH-R970/C/X, SPH-L720)
    • jfltevzw (SCH-I545) - Please note you need to be on bootloader I545VRUSMDK
    • jfltexx (GT-I9505, SGH-I337M, SGH-M919) - NOTE: GT-I9505G is supported in this build, but due to system size space limitations it will not fit any form of GApps package.
    • jfvelte (GT-I9515/L)

If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • MHL doesn't work after LineageOS 14.1, and likely never will again, as Google dropped support for it platform-wide in AOSP.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_jf
    As @npjohnson said...even my builds seems to work fine, they simply "bypass" some new, Android 12 stuff because our old device can't support.

Go to data usage, via settings, and check any application data usage. Let's say Chrome. Regardless how much u use the Chrome, the data usage seems zero. That's the problem.

I personally consider and respect the fact that lineageos wouldn't ship a build which includes a hacky thing that bypasses those network related stuff. This feature is a big change on Android platform, hence, I understand why LineageOS insist on a fix on this

tl;dr, as nolen said, the problem is on the kernel side and since jf can't have that backported change (I won't mess with it personally), the solutions are 2.

1. Someone will mess with jf kernel and will backport ebpf (as lineage page says so)

2. We will restore iptables back. This is my approach and I will personally work on it too. Fixing this will help many legacy device come back but trust me... It's really hard to bring it back
    VoLTE will never work on the S4, or the S5.

These are from early VoLTE generations - in which there was no even semi-standard method to do it. Samsung and LG both stuffed it into the frameworks side java code and it's hopeless - there are too many subsystems working together on the stock ROM we just can't reverse engineer and tie together on LineageOS.
    thanks for response and support
    This issue is now fixed. You will need to sideload the upcoming build by hand to get back on track though.

Sorry for the inconveniences.
    There is available 19.1 for S4 by @side so the story doesn't end up here.
    However, tbh LineageOS team shouldn't be so strict with legacy devices to get the tag Official. These devices are old now and needs some "hacks" in order to work which LineageOS team doesn't approve.
    Side is one of us. He's aware of the constraints lol.

It's not "strict" - the "workaround" people keep linking LITERALLY just ignores the error - data restrictions, data management, and routing in general will always be 100% broken - and that will never be considered "working" - if someone makes that stuff properly work, even if tacky, we're no opposed - just that the current stuff isn't even a hack, it's just "ignore what's broken".