[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (All QCOM Variants)

Search This thread

Lycon70492

Sep 19, 2016
You are good to go. If you want to format data, do it. If you don't, all your apps and data will survive. Except email.

If you had GApps installed and don't format, you need to flash android 11 GApps immediately after 18.1
I like to report that installation of lineageos 18.1 with the current setup was a success. I did not twrp data format before installing as there wasn't a need for it. I also installed MindtheGapps for the first time as I typically use Opengapps and magisk v23.

As for lineage-18.1-20210513, USB OTG isn't working, which I'm guessing its a known issue.

Aside from the new method of taking a screenshot, is there anything from Android 11 is notably different from Android 10?

0xfab1

Dec 13, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S4
Xiaomi Poco F1
Unfortunately, I did not have a good experience with the upgrade of my GT-I9505 from 17.1 to 18.1.

Before I started, I made a full backup with twrp 3.5.0_9-0 (= latest official version). I selected all partitions in twrp for this purpose. After that I tried to upgrade from LOS 17.1 to 18.1 as some users here in the forum described it, i.e. I proceeded like one installs a Nightly::
* Installed lineage-18.1-20210506-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip
* Installed MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210412_124103.zip
* Wiped Cache/Dalvik
* Booted system

After booting, the lockscreen appeared after some time and after I entered my PIN and left the lockscreen the system just stopped. I finally rebooted the device by long pressing the power button but unfortunately without success - after the lockscreen it was all over again.

At this point I wanted to restore the backup I had made just before. And here came the big negative surprise: After restoring everything from the backup, I cleared Cache/Dalvik and let the system boot normally ...and it started in revovery mode (?!). I then tried several times to boot the device from twrp normally, also with the variant that I first selected Power Off in twrp and then turned on the system with the power button. Then I restored the backup again and repeated everything. But all this did not help, the device remained stuck in recovery mode.

Finally, I proceeded as described in the OP, i.e. following the instructions in the wiki, where among other things the data partition must be deleted (= the device must be newly set up, which is partially facilitated by Google backup data). And finally it worked: LOS 18.1 boots normally and so far I haven't found any bugs.

*** At this point a big thank you to the developers for this ROM and for the long lasting support of this device! ***

The reason why I made a rather long post here is my negative experience (= warning) that with twrp 3.5.0_9-0 the device cannot be fully restored when restoring a full backup and that you end up in a state where the system cannot boot normally anymore. I wonder if anyone else with a recent or the latest twrp version was able to restore a full backup and then had a working device again. If so, how exactly did you create the backup and what exactly did you restore?

Last edited:

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin

The reason why I made a rather long post here is my negative experience (= warning) that with the twrp 3.5.0_9-0 the device cannot be fully restored when restoring a full backup and that you end up in a state where the system cannot boot normally anymore. I wonder if anyone else with a recent or the latest twrp version was able to restore a full backup and then had a working device again. If so, how exactly did you create the backup and what exactly did you restore?
to my taste there are some other questions left over:
1. has someone mangaged to restore an Los 17.x backup on an Los 18.1 successful ?
2. same as 1. , but this time with the lastest TWRP, which is twrp-3.5.2_9-0

3. does a google-backup restore really wipe the data partition the same way as a Stock or TWRP recovery wipe/format does ?
see

point 5.

Reactions: 0xfab1

therob2

Jun 17, 2020
Are there already any issues with random reboots we knew from 17.1 from time to time?
As I did not read anything in this thread can I expect they are gone? Or the formerly affectec peaple did not upgrade yet?

And any complaints about WiFi-reconnects known from 17.1?
(Talking about GT-I9505 and GT-I9515)

antoniorecio

Sep 21, 2016
Thank you very much to JDCTeam for this ROM.

I did a clean install and everything seems to work fine but, i can't encrypt phone.
When I choose Encrypt phone, the phone reboots, showing a screen with the Android image laying down for a second or so, and then reboots normally again, but not encrypted.
Is it only me or encryption does not work?

Regards and thank you.

0xfab1

Dec 13, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S4
Xiaomi Poco F1
to my taste there are some other questions left over:
1. has someone mangaged to restore an Los 17.x backup on an Los 18.1 successful ?
2. same as 1. , but this time with the lastest TWRP, which is twrp-3.5.2_9-0

3. does a google-backup restore really wipe the data partition the same way as a Stock or TWRP recovery wipe/format does ?
see

point 5.
Hi rw_on_xda

Thanks for your reply.
  • As for 1: Dunno + that was part of my question.
  • As for 2: AFAIK, twrp-3.5.2_9-0 was not yet the latest official twrp version when I upgraded from 17.1 to 18.1 a few days ago (2021-05-09). I believe that at my upgrade time 3.5.0_9-0 was the latest official twrp version. twrp-3.5.2_9-0 must have been released very recently, right?
  • As for 3: AFAIK, No. I.e. Google Backup/Restore does not wipe anything at all - if everything works out, the apps from the Play Store with their settings are reinstalled and set up reasonably well.
  • As for 4: Yes, as I wrote before, I followed strictly the instructions in the wiki for my 2nd (and successful) attempt to upgrade.
  • As for 5: What's your point?
I guess the new question now is whether twrp-3.5.2_9-0 can fully back up a device and then fully restore it again if necessary?

Quite a few open questions about TWRP that rw_on_xda and I have raised. Maybe someone knows more about this - thanks in advance for anyone who can shed some more light on these questions!

Last edited:

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
Hi rw_on_xda

Thanks for your reply.
  • As for 1: Dunno + that was part of my question.
  • As for 2: AFAIK, twrp-3.5.2_9-0 was not yet the latest official twrp version when I upgraded from 17.1 to 18.1 a few days ago (2021-05-09). I believe that at my upgrade time 3.5.0_9-0 was the latest official twrp version. twrp-3.5.2_9-0 must have been released very recently, right?
  • As for 3: AFAIK, No. I.e. Google Backup/Restore does not wipe anything at all - if everything works out, the apps from the Play Store with their settings are reinstalled and set up reasonably well.
  • As for 4: Yes, as I wrote before, I followed strictly the instructions in the wiki for my 2nd (and successful) attempt to upgrade.
  • As for 5: What's your point?
I guess the new question now is whether twrp-3.5.2_9-0 can fully back up a device and then fully restore it again if necessary?

Quite a few open questions about TWRP that rw_on_xda and I have raised. Maybe someone knows more about this - thanks in advance for anyone who can shed some more light on these questions!
I downloaded TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 at 2021-04-09 (write date on my disk), so ~5 weeks !

Point 5 is the Point 5 in the linked document (... no wipe => no boot... => less fun)
okay I should have written "see Point 5" ...

the "new question" is fastest answered, when *you* have tested it.
no ?

well, long version:
I guess you're at it right now and I further guest the most of us have a full configured system since some time and a successful restore isn't in the pipe right now and as always "Never touch a running system".

*I* take Twrp backups on an more irregular basis, esp. *not* for restoring over different LOS version (17 => 18)
why ?
well, upcoming bugs in an "clean installed LOS" are bugs belonging to that special LOS version.
while - at least I could imagine - a system "hoked up" with an backup from the previous LOS release I guess that point is not 100 % clear.

I only have sort of 20 apps running on my device, contacts and calendars are synced from my pc [1], mails are on an imap server and on a new release in any case I look through *all* settings.
so, actually no need to do backup's.
wait.....,
there is one special case:
when someone in this forum raised the alarm flag: "new nightly does something weird" I make a backup before installing the new nightly....

[1]
on linux: thunderbird with addons (sogo, TbSync, Provider for CalDAV & CardDAV) and radicale
on the phone: DAVx and opentask

why should I sync my adressbook, etc. with google ?
do they sync their's with me ? :cool:

Last edited:

pocketrule

Sep 23, 2016
... I did a clean install and everything seems to work fine but, i can't encrypt phone...
No, you're not the only one 😳️

Obviously, when you format /data in TWRP (e.g. to get rid of an existing encryption), the /data partition is formatted completely, so there's no space left for important encryption information. 😬️

Have a look here for a better description and solution 👍️

Last edited:
Reactions: Ph3ar. and 0xfab1

vip5912

• Jun 20, 2017
    Are there already any issues with random reboots we knew from 17.1 from time to time?
    As I did not read anything in this thread can I expect they are gone? Or the formerly affectec peaple did not upgrade yet?

I had random reboots in 17.1 regularly.
    After I installed 18.1 (clean install in begin of April) I have no one random reboots.

Reactions: pocketrule

vip5912

• Jun 20, 2017

I did a clean install and everything seems to work fine but, i can't encrypt phone.
    When I choose Encrypt phone, the phone reboots, showing a screen with the Android image laying down for a second or so, and then reboots normally again, but not encrypted.

Regards and thank you.
    I have no problem with encrypt phone.
    I made clean install 18.1 by official LineageOS Wiki:
    https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/jfltexx/install

0xfab1

Dec 13, 2020
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Xiaomi Poco F1
    Point 5 is the Point 5 in the linked document (... no wipe => no boot... => less fun)
    If an easy upgrade is possible, then of course I'll try that first. And no matter which way I try first, before that I make a backup ... which then, if you really need it, must really work ... and that was not the case here.
    I guess you're at it right now and I further guest the most of us have a full configured system since some time and a successful restore isn't in the pipe right now and as always "Never touch a running system".
    Well, custom ROMs are fun, but playing around with them also means to me that I can help myself when something goes wrong. And this is where I've always been able to rely on TWRP/Nandroid backups in the past.
    *I* take Twrp backups on an more irregular basis, esp. *not* for restoring over different LOS version (17 => 18)
    why ?
    well, upcoming bugs in an "clean installed LOS" are bugs belonging to that special LOS version.
    while - at least I could imagine - a system "hoked up" with an backup from the previous LOS release I guess that point is not 100 % clear.
    By restoring a full backup, you should be back to the point when the backup was created. At least that's the claim TWRP makes. And I have always been able to rely on it in the past when facing problems with release upgrades.
    I only have sort of 20 apps running on my device, contacts and calendars are synced from my pc [1], mails are on an imap server and on a new release in any case I look through *all* settings.
    so, actually no need to do backup's.
    wait.....,
    there is one special case:
    when someone in this forum raised the alarm flag: "new nightly does something weird" I make a backup before installing the new nightly....
    I too have only the bare essentials and a few apps installed on my S4. For me, the device is a fallback in case the smartphone I use daily is lost or broken, i.e. the installed apps on the S4 are registered for banking and other services that require a smartphone for login or confirmations.
    why should I sync my adressbook, etc. with google ?
    do they sync their's with me ? :cool:
    I don't really rely on Google for upgrades either, but after the failed backup restore, I was quite happy to have the apps and some settings back quite quickly via Google. The rest I have done as far as possible with Titanium Backup - unfortunately TB is no longer maintained - which makes it all the more important that TWRP backups work.

When I have a little more time, I'll do a factory reset, install the latest TWRP version, and set up the S4 from scratch. After that I will do a TWRP backup, do a factory reset again and restore the backup. That will be the acid test for me to decide if TWRP can really be relied on for the S4.

Has anyone tried this with a recent TWRP version lately? If so, it would be exciting to hear whether and how well this has worked.

droi1

Sep 7, 2020
    Samsung Galaxy S4

Regards and thank you.
    are you using TWRP? Then use old TWRP 3.2 and everything works newer TWRP often not working with encryption....

reboot problems are gone ;)
    Wifi is the same stable/unstable for me as in 17.1 so not the best but for me this was since Stock ROM the case.

antoniorecio

Sep 21, 2016

Obviously, when you format /data in TWRP (e.g. to get rid of an existing encryption), the /data partition is formatted completely, so there's no space left for important encryption information. 😬️

Look here for a better description and solution 👍️

Thank you very much, @pocketrule. You nailed it.

I followed instructions from the URL you pointed me to, and I have successfully encrypted the phone.

antoniorecio

Sep 21, 2016
    are you using TWRP? Then use old TWRP 3.2 and everything works newer TWRP often not working with encryption....

Thank you, @droi1

I used latest TWRP. The problem it seems to be the format of /data partition. I followed instructions of the OP where it says to format /data partition. This way the filesystem take all the partition space. It seems that you need an additional 16Kb at the end of partition to be able to encryp the partition. So I had to shrink filesystem by 16KiB.

It's explained in a URL posted by @pocketrule at post #130 (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...xy-s4-all-qcom-variants.4255313/post-85028669). I followed that instructions and successfully encrypt the phone.

Maybe older versions of TWRP let those last 16 KiB of /data partition unused.

antoniorecio

Sep 21, 2016
    I have no problem with encrypt phone.
    I made clean install 18.1 by official LineageOS Wiki:
    https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/jfltexx/install

Thank you, @vip5912.

Maybe the /data partition formatting from lineage os recovery let unused the last 16 KiB of partition that it seems to be necesary to enable encryption. Anyway, I could shrink /data filesystem by 17 KiB following instructions from URL of @pockectrule post.

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Wifi is the same stable/unstable for me as in 17.1 so not the best but for me this was since Stock ROM the case.
    then you should investigate your whole wifi equipment.
    Cause I - IIRC - never have had wifi problems since 2013 with cyanogen/LOS or stock.
    And if I do not recall correct (cause my "RAM" was "build" 1961) wifi problems had been temporary.
    Usually I run wifi with constant 433 Mbit/s on 5 GHz with WPA3 and PMF.

on your wifi router check:
    - channel 13 or the channel the strongest neighbour you see (yes the same channel[1] ) for 2.4 GHz wifi
    - channel >100 for 5GHz wifi (cause at least my router transmits with 1000 mW with that channels versus 200 only)
    - wifi 5 GHz is lesser used

[1]
    If you've ever played with apps what displays wifi signals you know some are displayed as parabola's.
    where the parabola's cross each other there is most demolition of the signal.
    there are only to ways to prevent that
    - the channels of the participants (the apex of the parabola's) are far away, so they don't cross [2]
    - the channels are the same

for the last one:
    one would think it would lead to an complete demolition of the signal, but it isn't that way.
    my observation here where that I get the best signal when I choose the same channel as the strongest neighbour. I guess both wifi then send with full speed at different time frames => no or less demolition.

and btw in physics I've learned waves with same frequency add their amplitudes (in the worst case to zero when frequency shift is 180°).
    It seems wifi waves do something similar apart from that you never get the doubled amplitude (doubled wifi speed).

cause of this physically behaviour we are able to fight noisiness with 180° shifted noisiness (amplitudes added to zero)

[2]
    for 2.4 GHz wifi it is said participants should have at least 5 channels distance from each others in wifi network with 11 or 13 channels in total only.
    you could image your self how that works out if you're living in area with ~40 wifi neighbour networks...

so the same fixed(!) channel of the strongest neighbour seems to be the best, additional cause I know most wifi router are configured with "auto channel".
    so they move away by time when 2 or more participants constantly sending on the same channel...

Last edited:

vip5912

• Jun 20, 2017
    I also never have had wifi problems with cyanogen/LOS or stock.
    I use 4 WiFi APs (TP-Link, Apple, D-Link) in different rooms with 2.4 and 5 GHz (I use fixed channels).
    Phone uses 2.4GHz for long distance, notebook uses 5GHz for speed.

Reactions: rw_on_xda

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      That was not the question
      no ?!
      just don't overread what comes after my "AFAIK"
      okay, today is sunday ...:cool:
      Thanks for this great rom! Getting the newest android on this 2013 phone is just amazing.

I installed the newest lineage recovery, from 2021-05-13, and it wouldn't flash the OS succussfully. Tried with the OS versions from 2021-04-22 and 2021-05-13. Outputs from the abd sideloading below(phone). The phone would then reboot back to stock rom. On the computer side the adb output updates stopped at 94%. I believe the first 2 red lines with errors(phone) popped up at 47% and the next identical ones at 94%

Then I installed twrp instead of lineage recovery. ABD sideloading the OS went absolutely fine. And as the instruction says I did get the following error message which is fine: "If the process succeeds the output will stop at 47% and report adb: failed to read command: Success."

s4 version is GT-I9505.

View attachment 5308701
      This is the stock recovery, not lineage recovery, you booted stock after flashing recovery before booting into recovery ;p
      Unfortunately, I did not have a good experience with the upgrade of my GT-I9505 from 17.1 to 18.1.

Before I started, I made a full backup with twrp 3.5.0_9-0 (= latest official version). I selected all partitions in twrp for this purpose. After that I tried to upgrade from LOS 17.1 to 18.1 as some users here in the forum described it, i.e. I proceeded like one installs a Nightly::
      * Installed lineage-18.1-20210506-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip
      * Installed MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210412_124103.zip
      * Wiped Cache/Dalvik
      * Booted system

After booting, the lockscreen appeared after some time and after I entered my PIN and left the lockscreen the system just stopped. I finally rebooted the device by long pressing the power button but unfortunately without success - after the lockscreen it was all over again.

At this point I wanted to restore the backup I had made just before. And here came the big negative surprise: After restoring everything from the backup, I cleared Cache/Dalvik and let the system boot normally ...and it started in revovery mode (?!). I then tried several times to boot the device from twrp normally, also with the variant that I first selected Power Off in twrp and then turned on the system with the power button. Then I restored the backup again and repeated everything. But all this did not help, the device remained stuck in recovery mode.

Finally, I proceeded as described in the OP, i.e. following the instructions in the wiki, where among other things the data partition must be deleted (= the device must be newly set up, which is partially facilitated by Google backup data). And finally it worked: LOS 18.1 boots normally and so far I haven't found any bugs.

*** At this point a big thank you to the developers for this ROM and for the long lasting support of this device! ***

The reason why I made a rather long post here is my negative experience (= warning) that with twrp 3.5.0_9-0 the device cannot be fully restored when restoring a full backup and that you end up in a state where the system cannot boot normally anymore. I wonder if anyone else with a recent or the latest twrp version was able to restore a full backup and then had a working device again. If so, how exactly did you create the backup and what exactly did you restore?
      Yeah, formatting via TWRP is unsupported, another guy pushed a fix for it, I merged it, so TWRP builds should work now.

Regards and thank you.
      Yeah, formatting via TWRP is unsupported, another guy pushed a fix for it, I merged it, so TWRP builds should work now.

Look here for a better description and solution 👍️
      Thank you, @droi1

I used latest TWRP. The problem it seems to be the format of /data partition. I followed instructions of the OP where it says to format /data partition. This way the filesystem take all the partition space. It seems that you need an additional 16Kb at the end of partition to be able to encryp the partition. So I had to shrink filesystem by 16KiB.

It's explained in a URL posted by @pocketrule at post #130 (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...xy-s4-all-qcom-variants.4255313/post-85028669). I followed that instructions and successfully encrypt the phone.

Maybe older versions of TWRP let those last 16 KiB of /data partition unused.
      Yeah, formatting via TWRP is unsupported, another guy pushed a fix for it, I merged it, so TWRP builds should work now. you nailed the reason btw, twrp now reserves that space for encryption metadata after two days ago's build :)
      Newb here.I have a rooted S4 spl720.Do I have to unroot or do anything else before installing LOS?Thx.

AFAIK, no.
      I'm currently not sure regarding current LOS release, but elder LOS/Cyanogen had root per default (flash)

Only thing you really need is a custom recovery. If rooted, you can install it with twrp app.
      My response to all of these is "Please just follow the wiki guide, and you'll be fine."

We do not ship root, nor do we have the option for it, use Magisk if you want root.
      please provider the way to that setting *on* the phone (to connect to 5GHz only).

obviously - or as I understand it - the OP does/makes "roaming" (same SSID for both wifi bands, one password) and want to stay with that to prevent to change the wifi settings on all his other devices

one way to bind the phone to one wifi band only in such roaming environment would be to connect with the specific MAC of the router's 5 GHz Band only.
      How ?
      Don't know !
      anyway, that doesn't come without cost's: phone wifi in other (outdoor) environments ?

slightly remembering I've seen such MAC binding somewhere ...
      I just can say how I configured it on my OpenWRT router at home.

Two seperate network Interfaces, one is serving 2,4 GHz - WLAN0, the other one 5 GHz - WLAN1. Both use the same password, but they are seen by the phone as two different wifi SSIDs.

Now, if you just connect to the 5 GHz SSID - WLAN1, you never connect to 2,4 because your phone doesn't know anything about WLAN0.
      Newb here.I have a rooted S4 spl720.Do I have to unroot or do anything else before installing LOS?Thx.
      Only thing you really need is a custom recovery. If rooted, you can install it with twrp app.
      lineage-os-logo.png

Samsung Galaxy S4

Code:
      - Your warranty is now void.
      - You have been warned.
      - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
      This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for all Galaxy S4 variants.

Downloads:
      Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
      • jactivelte (GT-I9295)
      • jflteatt (SGH-I337) - Please note you will need to be on bootloader I337UCUAMDB or I337UCUAMDL
      • jfltespr (SCH-R970/C/X, SPH-L720)
      • jfltevzw (SCH-I545) - Please note you need to be on bootloader I545VRUSMDK
      • jfltexx (GT-I9505/G, SGH-I337M, SGH-M919)
      • jfvelte (GT-I9515/L)

If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
      • MHL doesn't work after LineageOS 14.1, and likely never will again, as Google dropped support for it platform-wide in AOSP.
      • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
      Notes:
      • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
      Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_jf
      thanks for response and support
      This issue is now fixed. You will need to sideload the upcoming build by hand to get back on track though.

Sorry for the inconveniences.
      USB otg is unfortunately broken at the moment. But you can get access to your external storage by installing MiXplorer (which I recommend in any case) and "enable otg" in settings -> more settings
      Should be fixed in next build.
      Good news, my GT-I9505 is updating automatically at this moment ("Update recovery" option disabled).
      Next step, activate the option to update the recovery and see if this works well.
      Thanks @npjohnson for your incredible work
      the recovery image updates the second you check the box.

after you update OS, it updates the recovery on the next boot during boot animation.

Have fun! Good to hear.
      Update to lineage-18.1-20210408-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip by TWRP (Install).
      At first glance, everything works fine.