[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (All QCOM Variants)

Search This thread
Sorry but you are wrong: SeedVault can backup only 30% of application data because many applications have "No Backup" flag in Manifest.
I use official recovery and "adb pull (encrypted data partition)" by PC for full backup.
You beat me to it, I was about to say this. I already tried a backup with Seedvault, but the really important app data can't be backuped (e.g. Messengers like Wire et al., banking apps, 2FA apps) because they refuse backups in manifest. Again, useless to fully backup the device. For now, the only way to securely backup everything is, believe it or not, TWRP.

Last edited:
Reactions: droi1

white eneloop

Jan 5, 2022
format data from recovery, problem soved.
Unfortunately the issue is still not solved. After installing 3 Apps I got the same error when installing the 4th one (Google Photos). Also the camera app told me I have to install a sd-card because of less space. After rebooting the error is gone and I was able to install google photos and take pics with the cam. For some reason this error is going and coming back again. :unsure:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Unfortunately the issue is still not solved. After installing 3 Apps I got the same error when installing the 4th one (Google Photos). Also the camera app told me I have to install a sd-card because of less space. After rebooting the error is gone and I was able to install google photos and take pics with the cam. For some reason this error is going and coming back again. :unsure:
I have no clue. That doesn't happen here.

Reactions: maanteel

white eneloop

Jan 5, 2022
Ok it seems I have found a solution:
Changed file system to F2FS (data and cache partition)
Installed los and gapps -> encryption error after first boot, ok not comptatible
Changed file system back to EXT4 (again both)
Installed both -> still working even after 15 installed apps

Either I was just lucky today or there is a difference between "format data" (without changing the file system) and changing the file system forth and back.

Reactions: maanteel

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Ok it seems I have found a solution:
Changed file system to F2FS (data and cache partition)
Installed los and gapps -> encryption error after first boot, ok not comptatible
Changed file system back to EXT4 (again both)
Installed both -> still working even after 15 installed apps

Either I was just lucky today or there is a difference between "format data" (without changing the file system) and changing the file system forth and back.
This tells me you're using TWRP - there's the issue. Lineage recovery formats ext4 correctly.

therob2

Jun 17, 2020
Hey guys.
I have 4 different Galaxy S4 GT-I9515 spread over my family in use (bought used 2 years before), all with LOS18.1 and quite recent builds (<2 months old) and also freshly flashed latest modem files.

4 people are fine with the battery performance (about 2 days from 100% to 10% with moderate usage) but one person reports about very low battery performance mostly less than 1 day (or even less than 12 hours, although I already bought an original new one) and also with very low usage . The user reports this behaviour only after enabling the usage of 4G for network carrier (after having just 3G enabled before, which providers in germany now switched off). I made some measurements with GSMBattery and some screenshots, see below. I did not become wiser with these results.

Maybe someone can say anything about it (or has values for comparison)? Did I miss any (expert) settings in LOS on this device? Just having bad 4G reception I would say should not be the reason, as 3 others devices "living" just 200m apart (with even worse reception) looks much better. Any comments or things I could check?
-----
image 1: with 2G and moderate active usage (~1h) 100%->60% within 12h
image 2: with 4G and nearly no usage (just lying around) 100%->30% within 9h

2G/3G:
image2_2G.jpg
4G:
image2_4G.jpg

some more screenshots for 2G:

b837abb9-16ad-4ede-ab2b-7a514a62c5a5.jpg
d90b59f8-3f76-4343-b39e-04859c371e9a.jpg

some more screenshots for 4G (I can't see problematic values - you?):
615543e6-b68a-4639-b72f-a595dde83fd5.jpg
010824a0-f553-4cb7-aad9-4faffd375f86.jpg
a6015342-46ab-4793-a821-bf5f6016fcea.jpg

pocketrule

Sep 23, 2016
Hey guys.
I have 4 different Galaxy S4 GT-I9515 ... one person reports about very low battery performance ... only after enabling the usage of 4G for network carrier ...
I'm not that big battery expert. I have also used GSam Battery for checking what's draining my battery. And I don't really understand the values you've posted. It's often disappointing that the information is (cannot) not clearer stating what's the specific problem behind System / Kernel - drain. You get a list, for which you have to be a system expert to understand it.

What you could do in addition is:
1) Check kernel wakelocks (if you don't see it, you have to activate it separately, the description is somwhere on GSam homepage.
2) Check if the devices have different modems from which ones work better with the mobile network than others.
3) According to your description, but just to exclude a (potential) problem: As you've got several of the same devices: Exchange the batteries

therob2

Jun 17, 2020
Thanks @pocketrule. I am even not certain about something wrong in the System/kernel drain (in deed I doubt it, because under 2G and 4G nearly the same). But yeah, I also find what you said. Could you recommend any better App (without root) to get things clearer?
1) found this, have to try. 2) Can't find different modems (same models, same firmware). 3) I already bought 2 new batteries for this device - without change (and I see clear difference in 2G/4G mode).
Hm...don't know where to go further :-/

pocketrule

Sep 23, 2016
Could you recommend any better App (without root) to get things clearer?
Maybe BetterBatteryStats could do the same. It's often considered the gold standard for battery measurement, but I find it even harder to read. According to the xda thread, additional permissions can also be granted with adb. It's an extensive thread, so if you have questions regarding the output, maybe you can get help there.

1) found this, have to try.
I think that's outdated, you probably need additional permission (hidden_api_policy)
The instructions are even built-in (didn't remember that)
Check out Menu -> more -> enable more stats

3) I already bought 2 new batteries for this device - without change (and I see clear difference in 2G/4G mode).
Hm...don't know where to go further :-/
Unfortunately, neither do I. It's weird that the power consumption is so much higher with this one special device, whereas your other devices behave differently. Then it may be a hardware defect (antenna, modem,sim card tray)? You could exchange the devices temporarily to check that.

Wezyk123

Apr 7, 2021
I have a problem starting the system. The touch buttons are not working on my i9505. So the smartphone stays on the lineageos logo. Can I disable checking for them at system startup.? I will add that the original system starts up.

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
I have a problem starting the system. The touch buttons are not working on my i9505. So the smartphone stays on the lineageos logo. Can I disable checking for them at system startup.? I will add that the original system starts up.
- no expert here -
but I guess you phone doesn't boot correct.
I need no working buttons to get past the logo. I only need to key something in when the PIN for my mobile card is ask...

Reactions: pocketrule

Wezyk123

Apr 7, 2021
- no expert here -
but I guess you phone doesn't boot correct.
I need no working buttons to get past the logo. I only need to key something in when the PIN for my mobile card is ask...
Since the touch buttons stopped working, only the Samsung system starts, so some dependency must be present.

pocketrule

Sep 23, 2016
Since the touch buttons stopped working, only the Samsung system starts, so some dependency must be present.
Yes, that can be assumed. But maybe the touch buttons stopped working because of a boot error (which can be caused by an error during the flash) as @rw_on_xda mentioned it.

You could check out the great tutorials from @Retrial ⚡S4 Unified Collection & Guides⚡ especially CLEAN INSTALL CUSTOM ROM.

There you will also find suggestions for troubleshooting.

Reactions: Retrial

Wezyk123

Apr 7, 2021
Yes, that can be assumed. But maybe the touch buttons stopped working because of a boot error (which can be caused by an error during the flash) as @rw_on_xda mentioned it.

You could check out the great tutorials from @Retrial ⚡S4 Unified Collection & Guides⚡ especially CLEAN INSTALL CUSTOM ROM.

There you will also find suggestions for troubleshooting.
This is not an error due to a bad flash
I am flashing samsung rom in Odin, which starts but the touch buttons also do not work. Unfortunately, lineage os won't start.

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
This is not an error due to a bad flash
I am flashing samsung rom in Odin, which starts but the touch buttons also do not work. Unfortunately, lineage os won't start.
anyway something went wrong !

I would suggest to do the following:
- flash lastest stock

- exactly follow the instruction from here to flash LOS:

Wezyk123

Apr 7, 2021
I replaced the USB port from the donor's phone. The touch buttons are working. Lineage os is starting.

saturnfreeway

Feb 1, 2022
Hi everyone -

S4 Value Edition i9515 with official 18.1 and official recovery.

I get the occasional screen flashes, a pink-ish flash and the screen turns off and locks. Can turn it back on after a few seconds. It happens randomly. Also, I have started using a bigger capacity battery, which worked fine on stock OS.

Any ideas about what could be the problem here? Thank you!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    offtopic, good news, a new way to unlock ATT and VZW on all bootloaders popped up, I'm working with the exploit dev to finish this up and get it integrated.
    Not the usecase of most our users by metric actually.
    I wasn't aware of this
    I will only continue building the pixel goodies version.
    Sad.
    Wasn't the mostly use case to run LOS to have a Google-free OS/Device ?
    Not my usecase. Not the usecase of most our users by metric actually.

Anyone that wants to is free to build their own images, wiki has a detailed and up to date guide.
    I personally like the pixel version and ui :) thx for the rom
    lineage-os-logo.png

Samsung Galaxy S4

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for all Galaxy S4 variants.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.

Official Builds:
    • jactivelte (GT-I9295)
    • jflteatt (SGH-I337) - Please note you will need to be on bootloader I337UCUAMDB or I337UCUAMDL
    • jfltespr (SCH-R970/C/X, SPH-L720)
    • jfltevzw (SCH-I545) - Please note you need to be on bootloader I545VRUSMDK
    • jfltexx (GT-I9505, SGH-I337M, SGH-M919) - NOTE: GT-I9505G is supported in this build, but due to system size space limitations it will not fit any form of GApps package.
    • jfvelte (GT-I9515/L)
    Unofficial - built once a month by me, includes GApps and Pixel goodies:
    • jactivelte (GT-I9295)
    • jflteatt (SGH-I337) - Please note you will need to be on bootloader I337UCUAMDB or I337UCUAMDL
    • jfltespr (SCH-R970/C/X, SPH-L720)
    • jfltevzw (SCH-I545) - Please note you need to be on bootloader I545VRUSMDK
    • jfltexx (GT-I9505, SGH-I337M, SGH-M919) - NOTE: GT-I9505G is supported in this build, but due to system size space limitations it will not fit any form of GApps package.
    • jfvelte (GT-I9515/L)

If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • MHL doesn't work after LineageOS 14.1, and likely never will again, as Google dropped support for it platform-wide in AOSP.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_jf
    As @npjohnson said...even my builds seems to work fine, they simply "bypass" some new, Android 12 stuff because our old device can't support.

Go to data usage, via settings, and check any application data usage. Let's say Chrome. Regardless how much u use the Chrome, the data usage seems zero. That's the problem.

I personally consider and respect the fact that lineageos wouldn't ship a build which includes a hacky thing that bypasses those network related stuff. This feature is a big change on Android platform, hence, I understand why LineageOS insist on a fix on this

tl;dr, as nolen said, the problem is on the kernel side and since jf can't have that backported change (I won't mess with it personally), the solutions are 2.

1. Someone will mess with jf kernel and will backport ebpf (as lineage page says so)

2. We will restore iptables back. This is my approach and I will personally work on it too. Fixing this will help many legacy device come back but trust me... It's really hard to bring it back
    Hi all !! I'm getting back after a long long time into the s4 custom roms and i wanted to know how long this rom (lineageos 18.1) will be supported ? ( I would like to make it my daily driver on the s4 i bring back to life but didn't want to set all up (banking apps , differents important files , calendar ,etc...) for seeing the rom discontinued and have to find another rom to re-set all data and things ... Thank you anyway for the help and for keeping our beloved s4 alive !! Phablets are boring.... ;)

I guess a partly answer is here:

=> "Deprecations"

My view (me is unsure):
    LOS 18.1 might be dead, when LOS 21 hit the scene ...

Thank you for your quick reply , english isn't my first language but for what i've get , lineageos 18.1 will not be killed but kind of freezin state ? But if the pattern is correct everytime a new lineageos version rise out the older one is killed so lineageos 18.1 will stand for another year and after that will be stopped no?

And if i get it right ,unfortunatly our s4 will be in the officialy way drop out of lineageos support next year ? Or maybe los 19.1 will be officialy drop on our s4 but that's just a sweet thought ... :/

"For another year" was correct from the point the changelog 27 was published - which is about one year ago. So, it is not clear yet how things will be in near future.
    To all of these - 18.1 stops being supported officially - sometime around July/August of next year most likely.

Unofficially, not sure.

I might keep building monthly asb's.
    I can't get all what you mean, but the last month we got bug and security fixes, see:
    https://download.lineageos.org/devices/jfltexx/changes

the kernel 3.14.x isn't maintained anymore
    I currently can't tell if this rises security concerns, but as you could read in my previous link between the lines that developers need to have to do some extra work to support the S4.
    I guess it's questionable if they will do the next year too.
    So I could image S4 might be dead next year (but can't tell for sure) and I start thinking about a newer device (Pixel 8/8a, FP5)

I guess that won't happen (old Kernel and BPF)
    Correct, JF is stuck on 18.1.
    VoLTE will never work on the S4, or the S5.

These are from early VoLTE generations - in which there was no even semi-standard method to do it. Samsung and LG both stuffed it into the frameworks side java code and it's hopeless - there are too many subsystems working together on the stock ROM we just can't reverse engineer and tie together on LineageOS.
    thanks for response and support
    This issue is now fixed. You will need to sideload the upcoming build by hand to get back on track though.

Sorry for the inconveniences.