[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (All Variants)

Search This thread

Gitanitos

Jan 30, 2013
Valladolid
Samsung Galaxy S10
Hi all,
After using since last week LOS18 in my S4 (jfltexx - I9505) I tried today to update the phone with the new release (LOS recovery installed) but after download the update when I have clicked on "Install" an error message has sorted and the update was impossible.
I tried flashing manually the last LOS recovery but same issue so finally I downloaded the package through chrome and installed manually through LOS recovery successfully.
20210411_205003.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: joam280

gotluck

Aug 17, 2013
having difficulty getting the mindthegapps package small enough to fit on my i9505G.

Wish there was a way to increase the root partition :(

does the system_ext folder open any possibilities?

in the past I used pico gapps with gapps-config.txt removing
GoogleTTS
Browser
Email
LiveWallpapers

ROM is great!

Last edited:

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
This issue is now fixed. You will need to sideload the upcoming build by hand to get back on track though.

Sorry for the inconveniences.
thanks, but does this *explicit exclude* updates via recovery (and whose (engl.: ?) buildin install) ?
- anyway, I'll find that out and report -

from my side: nothing to say sorry for.

Last edited:

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
I just want to say "Thanks" to all of the developers here for all of the work that you do. And to all of the Senior Members for the knowledge that they pass on to us Noobs.
well, "Senior Members" are feeding the Noobs so that the Noobs, when they're grown to Senior's, are able to feed the next Noobs, and so on ...
it's a sort of "food chain" called "community"
And otherwise the senior knowledge will vanish in this space-time continuum :geek:

thanks, but does this *explicit exclude* updates via recovery (and whose (engl.: ?) buildin install) ?
- anyway, I'll find that out and report -

from my side: nothing to say sorry for.
not sure what you mean, but if you flash any newer update via recovery, you can then OTA from there on out as expected - or update via recovery. Either is fine.

Reactions: pocketrule

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
not sure what you mean, but if you flash any newer update via recovery, you can then OTA from there on out as expected - or update via recovery. Either is fine.
your wording was "sideload".
I interpreted that as "adb sideload".

I'm currently not sure what's the diff.'s are between "adb sideload" and "install(-button) under recovery" are and if there are some, then ...

that was the background of my question.

anyway, the question was answered.
thanks

xperanto

Jan 22, 2017
No clue what you're talking about - our device has nothing relate to dynamic partitions. `/system_ext` is just a subfolder of `/system` on jf. You can delete whatever you want as it is.

We located it on /system_ext, as it uses private APIs, which, as per AOSP conventions, means it should land on /system_ext. Little, if anything should be put on system (from a platform perspective) to comply with Treble.
Thank you for your response and your clarification. My fault, i misunderstood some things. Nevermind.
In relation to this link https://source.android.com/devices/bootloader/partitions#changes-in-android-r and other sources and others i made the wrong assumption that /system_ext is a partition or image on its own, like /system. therefor it made, of course, no sense trying to remount /system_ext as rw, because it was just, as you taught me, linked to /system/system_ext. Binding and remounting /system as rw to edit /system_ext was of course enough and did the trick.
My appologies for any circumstances and thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
By the way, you all did a really great job with LOS 18.1 on jf*.

Thank you for your response and your clarification. My fault, i misunderstood some things. Nevermind.
In relation to this link https://source.android.com/devices/bootloader/partitions#changes-in-android-r and other sources and others i made the wrong assumption that /system_ext is a partition or image on its own, like /system. therefor it made, of course, no sense trying to remount /system_ext as rw, because it was just, as you taught me, linked to /system/system_ext. Binding and remounting /system as rw to edit /system_ext was of course enough and did the trick.
My appologies for any circumstances and thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
By the way, you all did a really great job with LOS 18.1 on jf*.
Thanks! this cycle it was mostly arco though!

As for system_ext, on newer devices, it /is/ a partition, but can still be mounted r/w.

jadfa

Dec 12, 2016
First of all, thanks for your work!
I have a problem with the proximity sensor: already cleaned and even change with spare parts, still doesn't show distance (in SatStat app i use to check). So think it's motherboard related and don't want to change it.
Is there a way to disable screen to go black when calling? I have to get access to keyboard within a call... and will re-enable this protection after if possible.

Sunburnseb

Apr 18, 2021
Hello mates

As always whenever I ask a question I want to first thank you for the amazing work you have done on this roms.

I am encountering a small problem since I have upgrade from 17.1 to 18.1 on my samsung galaxy S4.

I am using the jfltexx build ,Magisk 22.1and lineage-18.1-20210408-recovery-jfltexx recovery

Since I have upgraded I can not install weekly updates directly via my phone; said update does download but won't install, moreover once downloaded I cannot export the file on my phone's memory in order to flash it.

The solution I have been using so far is to download the update to my PC then transfer it to my SD card and then dirty flash it from recovery which is not convenient .

Any idea how I can fix that problem?

Thanks in advance

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin

sonix-r

Apr 18, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S4
Hi, first of all a want to thank you for this ROM. It's really great!

I have two problems:
First is problem with hotspot. It looks like it's working but all my computers can't find it by wi-fi.
Seeing post above it should be fixed soon. That's OK.

Second is problem with earphones connected by minijack. I can't use them during phone calls. I can listen to music player, youtube and every sounds are working. Only during phone call is complete silence. I can't hear anybody and anybody can't hear me. I had this problem on Lineage 17.1 too.
Is there any solution for this?

I have galaxy s4 i9505 and I did fresh install by twrp 3.5.2_9-0-jflte
lineage-18.1-20210415-nightly-jfltexx + MindTheGapps + Magisk
Bootloader & modem - I9505XXUHQK1

Greetings!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

Is it by design that updates are now exported to "/sdcard/Android/data/org.lineageos.updater/files/LineageOS updates" and no longer to "/sdcard/LineageOS updates"? Something related to permissions?
    Yes, it's forced due to Android's "Scoped Storage"
    thanks for response and support
    This issue is now fixed. You will need to sideload the upcoming build by hand to get back on track though.

Good news, my GT-I9505 is updating automatically at this moment ("Update recovery" option disabled).
    Next step, activate the option to update the recovery and see if this works well.
    Thanks @npjohnson for your incredible work
    the recovery image updates the second you check the box.

after you update OS, it updates the recovery on the next boot during boot animation.

Have fun! Good to hear.
    USB otg is unfortunately broken at the moment. But you can get access to your external storage by installing MiXplorer (which I recommend in any case) and "enable otg" in settings -> more settings
    Should be fixed in next build.
    Update to lineage-18.1-20210408-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip by TWRP (Install).
    At first glance, everything works fine.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Samsung Galaxy S4

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for all Galaxy S4 variants.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    • jactivelte (GT-I9295)
    • jflteatt (SGH-I337) - Please note you will need to be on bootloader I337UCUAMDB or I337UCUAMDL
    • jfltespr (SCH-R970/C/X, SPH-L720)
    • jfltevzw (SCH-I545) - Please note you need to be on bootloader I545VRUSMDK
    • jfltexx (GT-I9505/G, SGH-I337M, SGH-M919)
    • jfvelte (GT-I9515/L)

If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • MHL doesn't work after LineageOS 14.1, and likely never will again, as Google dropped support for it platform-wide in AOSP.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_jf
    thanks for response and support

USB otg is unfortunately broken at the moment. But you can get access to your external storage by installing MiXplorer (which I recommend in any case) and "enable otg" in settings -> more settings
    Should be fixed in next build.
    Good news, my GT-I9505 is updating automatically at this moment ("Update recovery" option disabled).
    Next step, activate the option to update the recovery and see if this works well.
    Thanks @npjohnson for your incredible work
    the recovery image updates the second you check the box.

after you update OS, it updates the recovery on the next boot during boot animation.

Have fun! Good to hear.
    Update to lineage-18.1-20210408-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip by TWRP (Install).
    At first glance, everything works fine.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone