• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for Xperia Z3 Compact

Search This thread

wtor68

Nov 4, 2017
Hmm sad, i had the same issue and was able to fix it with this trick.
Well then it seems like you have to wipe your data aswell :/

I had the same problem. I use magisk (twrp install) and opengapps and every second OTA update failed. Means after lineageos start (lineageos bootscreen only) it aborts after about 3 minutes and boots into twrp. Reproducible at every second OTA. Then i see magisk doesn't refresh at OTA update. The solution is to install magisk in twrp again. But this is only a side problem because lineageos doesn't start either then. I must install opengapps already in twrp again. Then the phone start fine without problems.

I don't know the reason for that, but it solves the problem every time without wiping anything.

davestuarts

Sep 28, 2010
Hi, I faced a similar bootloop with the latest LOS 18.1 20210907, I hadn't with previous updates like others had.
I flashed the LOS and magisk-v22.1_mod_sony.zip (I cant figure out how to modify the current version, so found this on github).
After endless loops and phone getting hot I forced it off. Then a few hours later, I thought as I use gapps,
I'd reflash gapps pico too. It booted fine and out of bootloop.
Thought I'd share, perhaps a solution for some IF similar and in bootloop.

Now I just to get my head around latest magisk, unless someone could perhaps upload a premodded version of latest magisk? Thank you

Hi, I faced a similar bootloop with the latest LOS 18.1 20210907, I hadn't with previous updates like others had.
I flashed the LOS and magisk-v22.1_mod_sony.zip (I cant figure out how to modify the current version, so found this on github).
After endless loops and phone getting hot I forced it off. Then a few hours later, I thought as I use gapps,

Now I just to get my head around latest magisk, unless someone could perhaps upload a premodded version of latest magisk? Thank you
Hi, the same happened to me.
I tried to update to LOS18.1-20210831-nightly-z3c-signed.zip starting from LOS18.1-20210727... + MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210412_124103.zip + Magisk-v23.0.apk.
Using as recovery twrp-3.3.1-z3c-20200212.img the update failed (bootloop); the same with recovery lineage-18.1-20210727-recovery-z3c.img.
The only way to solve, it was to "format /system", and then install from LOS recovery LOS and Gapps (loosing a lot of time to set apps and data)
I didn't install Magisk anymore, waiting for solution and/or suggestion to solve the bootloop problem.
Moreover, I have a question about updating LOS in the correct way: what recovery is it better to use?
a) TWRP
b) LOS recovery and wich ? the last (corresponding to the new version ) or that corresponding to the version to be updated?
Thanks!
[To install Magisk you could give a look to this post.]

Last edited:
Reactions: davestuarts

davestuarts

Sep 28, 2010
I tried to update to LOS18.1-20210831-nightly-z3c-signed.zip starting from LOS18.1-20210727... + MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210412_124103.zip + Magisk-v23.0.apk.
Using as recovery twrp-3.3.1-z3c-20200212.img the update failed (bootloop); the same with recovery lineage-18.1-20210727-recovery-z3c.img.
The only way to solve, it was to "format /system", and then install from LOS recovery LOS and Gapps (loosing a lot of time to set apps and data)
I didn't install Magisk anymore, waiting for solution and/or suggestion to solve the bootloop problem.
Moreover, I have a question about updating LOS in the correct way: what recovery is it better to use?
a) TWRP
b) LOS recovery and wich ? the last (corresponding to the new version ) or that corresponding to the version to be updated?
Thanks!
I see, you too. Either theres an order to install the zips or just bugs in the way files interact with each other when installing multiple zips in one go.
Prior to using clockworkmod recovery a long time ago, I've been using twrp for all devices when available and generally never had a problem, has more options and the backups I've created with it, I've restored succesfully on previous phones/tablets. I've never tried LOS recovery, but have read it's limited in some ways, but reliable too. I'll stick with twrp personally.

Oddly, I've got the same twrp recovery as you tried- twrp-3.3.1-z3c-20200212. Perhaps it has the issue, but for me it was the first time LOS had an error in the install. I'm sure this recovery version is unoffical (can't remember), so maybe needs an update but no update available on TWRP site. In the future, may need to use LOS recovery unless theres an unofficial TWRP update again.

Thank's, I loked at the link you posted about magisk. I've seen it before, but everytime I do, I'm lost lol.
At the moment the older version I have works for my needs.

##update##

LOS18.1-20210914-nightly has just been released and for simplicty, I tried & tested latest Lineage recovery.
I installed recovery first, boot up phone. Then went to LOS updater, allowed it to download latest ROM update and enabled it to install. Worked perfectly.
As this is a backup phone, I'll keep lineage recovery for now, as it works, especiallu with OTA.
I've got several family phones, all running lineage. I may migrate them if TWRP no longer available.

Last edited:

Alefello

Nov 28, 2007
Hello everybody
I'm sorry but has anyone the lastest los 17.1 build to share? I prefer to keep lastest 17.1 available for a while before considering to move to 18.1
Thank you

tomKater

Jul 29, 2014
Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite
Hi,

I've recently flashed in LOS 18.1 (previously I was in 17.1). I could see that there was no longer the possibility to add an exchange account (In my case to synchronize a exchange calendar). This was possible in 17.1.

Is this a feature that will come in future in the next builds or will it no longer be possible to add an exchange account in LOS 18.1 ? Is there a way to setup or flash this manually? (I could find an "Exchange services" apk but no change after installation).

I talk about com.android.exchange and not the google version "Google exchange services"

Thank you for your information.

z3calgonquin

Sep 21, 2021
I am trying to upgrade from 17.1 to 18.1. My recovery image was very old so I decided to do that upgrade first, to lineage-18.1-20210921-recovery-z3c.img. When I try to boot from the recovery image, I just get fastboot instead. Something like this:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery lineage-18.1-20210921-recovery-z3c.img
fastboot reboot
adb reboot recovery

I've also tried rebooting to recovery from the menu with no luck. I always just end up in fastboot instead of recovery. I have also tried booting the image directly via fastboot boot with no success.

Any ideas?

If you have successfully flashed the recovery image (with your `fastboot flash recovery lineage-18.1-20210921-recovery-z3c.img`, then you should be able to boot into recovery as follows:
- disconnect all cables and wait until any illuminates LEDs go out
- press and hold the Volume down key
- press the Power key unti you hear a buzz
The phone shoudl then reboot into recovery

z3calgonquin

Sep 21, 2021
If you have successfully flashed the recovery image (with your `fastboot flash recovery lineage-18.1-20210921-recovery-z3c.img`, then you should be able to boot into recovery as follows:

That did the trick. Thank you very much!

Reactions: petefoth

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

a) TWRP
    Thanks!
    EDIT:
    nvm flashed boot.img from an old build and it´s now showing the charging animation!
    So in lineage-18.1-20210907 offline charging seems broken...
    Don´t let the battery drain to 0% lol 😅
    Hello everybody
    I'm sorry but has anyone the lastest los 17.1 build to share? I prefer to keep lastest 17.1 available for a while before considering to move to 18.1
    Thank you

That did the trick. Thank you very much!
    2okPze5.png

Introduction
    LineageOS, an open-source Android distribution, is available for several devices,
    with more being continuously added thanks to the biggest, yet ever growing, Android open-source community.
    Join us and breathe new life in your device, be it old or new.
    If you don't know LineageOS and would like to read about it before installing it you can take a look at the official Website.

Features
    Individuality

Customization is paramount to productivity.
    That’s why LineageOS promises to push for user personalization and preference.
    Everyone is unique and your device should be too.
    Security
    Your data, your rules. With powerful tools such as Privacy Guard, you are in control of what your apps can do whenever you want.
    Trust will help you understand the security of your device and warn you about possible threats.
    We take security very seriously: that’s why we deliver security updates every month to all our supported devices.
    And to make your device more secure, lock everything behind an enhanced lock screen.
    Longevity
    LineageOS extends the functionality and lifespan of mobile devices from more than 20 different manufacturers thanks to our open-source community of contributors from all around the world.

Installation:
    If you are on stock OS, you need a custom recovery first. You can get the recommended recovery in the official installation instructions link below.
    If you are coming from stock or other ROMs, you need to make a factory reset.
    As always, make sure to backup before installing this ROM.

More detailed instructions at:
    Install LineageOS on z3c

Downloads
    Download LineageOS 18.1 for Xperia Z3 Compact.
    If you prefer TWRP over Lineage recovery, you can get it here.
    Recommended Google Apps can be found here.

Installation
    Please follow the instructions here.

Upgrade from LineageOS 17.1
    Please follow the instructions here.
    Note that you might NOT necessarily need to wipe your data if your data is not encrypted and you do not have a screen lock set!

Source code
    All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

The device specific source code can be found in the LineageOS Github repo.
    Z3 Compact device tree
    Sony Shinano common device tree
    Sony MSM8974 common device tree
    Sony MSM8974 kernel
    The used defconfig is lineageos_shinano_aries_defconfig.

Changelog:
    Changes for z3c

Bug reports:
    How to submit a bug report
    LineageOS GitLab

Donate to support development:
    Donate via PayPal to NeoArian
    Donate via PayPal to LineageOS
    Thanks again NeoArian for supporting the Z3 Compact! :)
    I've installed LineageOS 18.1 and everything is fine except...
    a kernel wakelock: sensor_SMD 2000000000
    Because of that, deep sleep isn't what it should be.

It seems that the Z3 Compact isn't the only phone with that problem: msm8937-common: Disable the Significant Motion Detector

Screenshot_20210724-214751_BBS_1.png

Screenshot_20210724-214808_BBS_1.png
    I've changed my build.prop

Code:
    ro.qti.sensors.smd=true
    to
    Code:
    ro.qti.sensors.smd=false
    -> problem solved.

By the way, I checked an old build.prop from LineageOS 17.1 and it used to be disabled, which explains why this problem is linked to 18.1.
    Thank you @NeoArian for your awesome work!
    Just a question: now that 18.1 is out, will there be any more builds for 17.1 (e.g. security patches)? I'm asking because I'm going to wait some time before doing the move to 18.1.
    No, there won't be further updates of lineage-17.1.
    I have tried upgrading from 17.1 without wiping data without success. Loading reached the wallpaper, then boot animation started again

Everything is looking good except I can't unlock the screen for some reason. I use my old pattern but instead of unlocking it throws me right back to the unlock screen again. Any ideas?
    In this case you should wipe data. There might be issues if you have used a pattern. I have tested an upgrade from 17.1 to 18.1 without a pattern/pin set.
    The reason for this is that support for the legacy credential hash support was deprecated and we had to remove the legacy hardware keystore.
    If you want to keep your data, you could try to remove the pattern on 17.1 and do the upgrade, but i can't guarantee that it will work.
    Sorry for the misleading comment in the OP.