[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 19.1 for the Google Pixel 4 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
May 31, 2018
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 4 XL
@npjohnson
I'm looking to make the jump from stock Android 12.1 to LineageOS 19.1, however, I have concerns about the infamous green tint at low brightness issue.

Manual tweaking with the CleanSlate kernel on XDA has made a significant positive impact for my device's display - it's the only reason I've been using CleanSlate. Around 2020-10, I tried porting the CleanSlate color correction code onto the AOSP kernel, but I never got past the boot animation. I think I messed up the AOSP kernel build config.

repo start minimal-degreenify private/msm-google
cd private/msm-google/drivers/gpu/drm/msm/dsi-staging

# Modify "$HOME/Source/Android/Bulk/android-kernel/private/msm-google/arch/arm64/configs/floral_defconfig"
# And modify "$HOME/Source/Android/Bulk/android-kernel/private/msm-google/arch/arm64/configs/defconfig"
# Add after "CONFIG_AIRBRUSH_SM_DEBUGFS=y"...
CONFIG_UCI=y
CONFIG_UCI_NOTIFICATIONS_SCREEN_CALLBACKS=y
CONFIG_RELR=y

# See "android_kernel_msm_floral-master/arch/arm64/configs/cleanslate_defconfig"

# Copy the following...
# drivers/misc/uci
# include/linux/uci

# Modify drivers/misc/uci.c to comment out the callbacks in "static int __init uci_init(void) {}"
# Modify uci driver to stub out functions

# Copy the following...
# drivers/misc/notification
# include/linux/notification

# Copy in changed files from "drivers/gpu/drm/msm/dsi-staging"
dsi_backlight.c
dsi_custom_gamma.h
dsi_custom_gamma_op7pro.h
dsi_panel.c
dsi_panel.h
dsi_panel_switch.c

# Copy in changed files from "drivers/gpu/drm/msm/sde"
sde_color_processing.c
sde_hw_color_proc_v4.c
sde_hw_dspp.c
sde_plane.c

# Add in Makefile and Kconfig changes
> drivers/misc/Kconfig after... source "drivers/misc/airbrush/Kconfig"
# Added by digitalcircuit
source "drivers/misc/uci/Kconfig"
source "drivers/misc/notification/Kconfig"
> drivers/misc/Makefile at end of file
obj-$(CONFIG_UCI) += uci/
obj-$(CONFIG_UCI_NOTIFICATIONS) += notification/

# Modify defaults in "drivers/gpu/drm/msm/dsi-staging/dsi_backlight.c"
# Use values in "$HOME/Documents/Software/Android/Devices/Pixel 4 XL/uci_user_degreenify_tuned.cfg"

./build/build.sh

# Use Android Image Kitchen to unpack Magisk-patched boot image
./unpackimg.sh boot.img
cp "$HOME/Source/Android/Bulk/android-kernel/out/android-msm-floral-4.14/dist/Image.lz4" "$HOME/Documents/Software/Android/Tools/AIK-Linux/split_img/boot.img-zImage"
./repackimg.sh

Does LineageOS provide some means of brightness-dependent color calibration, e.g. "when below 15% brightness apply this R,G,B slider calibration, otherwise disable calibration"?

My Nexus 6 on LOS 15.1 has color calibration sliders in Live Display, but that applied regardless of screen brightness and I think Live Display was replaced with Google's Night Color.

I found one bug report from 2021-9-20 about the green tint which was closed without any mention of kernel workarounds:

I realize this is a workaround at best and I'd understand if this is too much effort to implement and maintain. And regardless, thank you for the effort on shamu (I plan to upgrade it to 18.1), and coral!

Last edited:

xorrgnlusrx

Sep 14, 2022
Don't discuss magisk here. It's unsupported. You have a "coral" not an "ocean", just rename magisk.apk to magisk.zip and sideload it. Will work fine..

Why are you using 18.1? Also unsupported.

No, you can't. That would use stocks boot image, you would need to unpack lineage's using payload dumper like the wiki details for extrating blobs.

Just follow the wiki. Seriously. You are way overcomplicating things.

Don't do that. You'll mess up selinux context hard.

No ETAs
yeah thats what i meant , i was being brief.

xorrgnlusrx

Sep 14, 2022
I'm looking to make the jump from stock Android 12.1 to LineageOS 19.1, however, I have concerns about the infamous green tint at low brightness issue.

Manual tweaking with the CleanSlate kernel on XDA has made a significant positive impact for my device's display - it's the only reason I've been using CleanSlate. Around 2020-10, I tried porting the CleanSlate color correction code onto the AOSP kernel, but I never got past the boot animation. I think I messed up the AOSP kernel build config.

repo start minimal-degreenify private/msm-google
cd private/msm-google/drivers/gpu/drm/msm/dsi-staging

# Modify "$HOME/Source/Android/Bulk/android-kernel/private/msm-google/arch/arm64/configs/floral_defconfig"
# And modify "$HOME/Source/Android/Bulk/android-kernel/private/msm-google/arch/arm64/configs/defconfig"
# Add after "CONFIG_AIRBRUSH_SM_DEBUGFS=y"...
CONFIG_UCI=y
CONFIG_UCI_NOTIFICATIONS_SCREEN_CALLBACKS=y
CONFIG_RELR=y

# See "android_kernel_msm_floral-master/arch/arm64/configs/cleanslate_defconfig"

# Copy the following...
# drivers/misc/uci
# include/linux/uci

# Modify drivers/misc/uci.c to comment out the callbacks in "static int __init uci_init(void) {}"
# Modify uci driver to stub out functions

# Copy the following...
# drivers/misc/notification
# include/linux/notification

# Copy in changed files from "drivers/gpu/drm/msm/dsi-staging"
dsi_backlight.c
dsi_custom_gamma.h
dsi_custom_gamma_op7pro.h
dsi_panel.c
dsi_panel.h
dsi_panel_switch.c

# Copy in changed files from "drivers/gpu/drm/msm/sde"
sde_color_processing.c
sde_hw_color_proc_v4.c
sde_hw_dspp.c
sde_plane.c

# Add in Makefile and Kconfig changes
> drivers/misc/Kconfig after... source "drivers/misc/airbrush/Kconfig"
source "drivers/misc/uci/Kconfig"
source "drivers/misc/notification/Kconfig"
> drivers/misc/Makefile at end of file
obj-$(CONFIG_UCI) += uci/
obj-$(CONFIG_UCI_NOTIFICATIONS) += notification/

# Modify defaults in "drivers/gpu/drm/msm/dsi-staging/dsi_backlight.c"
# Use values in "$HOME/Documents/Software/Android/Devices/Pixel 4 XL/uci_user_degreenify_tuned.cfg"

./build/build.sh

# Use Android Image Kitchen to unpack Magisk-patched boot image
./unpackimg.sh boot.img
cp "$HOME/Source/Android/Bulk/android-kernel/out/android-msm-floral-4.14/dist/Image.lz4" "$HOME/Documents/Software/Android/Tools/AIK-Linux/split_img/boot.img-zImage"
./repackimg.sh

Does LineageOS provide some means of brightness-dependent color calibration, e.g. "when below 15% brightness apply this R,G,B slider calibration, otherwise disable calibration"?

My Nexus 6 on LOS 15.1 has color calibration sliders in Live Display, but that applied regardless of screen brightness and I think Live Display was replaced with Google's Night Color.

I found one bug report from 2021-9-20 about the green tint which was closed without any mention of kernel workarounds:

I realize this is a workaround at best and I'd understand if this is too much effort to implement and maintain. And regardless, thank you for the effort on shamu (I plan to upgrade it to 18.1), and coral!
./fastboot oem setbrightness ??? ./fastboot oem display_color .. maybe you could change something with those commands ?

xorrgnlusrx

Sep 14, 2022
@ Syntaxerror_s = T.Y., but prefer the 18.1 OFFICIAL build
@ legend876 = ONLY 19.1 shows ; Initially as mentioned I was on LOS
18.1, then I "sideloaded the LOS 19.1--- then installed TWRP(lost-
root) and locked the bootloader. Then fixed it via extract of
payload.bin from LOS 19
@ legend876 & @ Syntaxerror_s : This why I was asking :
(12)........ is there a way to obtain the Magisk A12 patched boot.img
from a site? If it can be done, can I sideload it?

@ legend876 & @ Syntaxerror_s : Then-can try for "root" and "TWRP" for
A12 which should provide "RW" access via console===> ./adb shell
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, An Update: SOME MORE INFO:
A. WAS using this -----> lineage_coral-userdebug 11 RQ3A.211001.001

B . LOS 18.1 is not to be found? WHY? There should be a section FOR
archive..
C. I am aware that a REMOVAL of "*.key" is a possible solution, but
RW access within ./adb is not functional
D. I even attempted to connect via "wifi": Booted phone/Connect to
house wifi, then using "
./adb connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5555.. but get
error "host refused". Of course in console, "device is unauth.."

In Post #207 I can get into Recovery/Bootloader/ Fastboot/Fastbootd
(see BLUE enclosed Image)/

F: I now see the purpose FOR an external SD card
G: Therefore, my goal is to get "su" from ./adb shell or FIX this:
Currently it states "Unable to mount Pixel 4 XL"

AGAIN, In advance, many THANKS for any/all assistance.
do you want to patch stock android 12 firmware boot.img ?, i can send you a12 stock firmware patched boot.img / or los 19 stock patched boot.img if that helps.

xdadottts

Oct 2, 2022

@xorrgnlusrx = YES, GOAL = accessing the data partition .

(do you want to patch stock android 12 firmware boot.img ?, i can send you a12 stock firmware patched boot.img / or los 19 stock patched boot.img if that helps.)

& Curiousn00b suggested: "Now for accessing the data partition, maybe try flashing stock but don't wipe the device. If you're still greeted with errors, you might just end up screwed and having to fully wipe." " I normally flash stock without wiping my /data/ partition when I mess something up on a rom just to recover what I wanted, then fully wipe the device for a fresh start. If you want, you can try this as a last resort. I know sometimes you just end up in a fastboot/recovery loot about how the system is corrupted and then you're basically forced to clean flash at that point.

I found it logical, so I tried it: Here are steps performed:​

Was running LOS 19.1 booting to requesting password:
1. Fastbooted files FROM A12.stock.. coral-sq3a.220705.003.a1-factory-7d161018.zip
2. Below are steps done: taken from site: (IN YELLOW)
POST#1 - ITEM 4===>KEEP-DATA: From BOTH sites/links
https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-root-pixel-4-xl-android-10-q.3996969/
https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-root-pixel-4-xl-with-magisk-android-13.4160441/

3. extracted zip file
4. Remove -w from flash-all.bat and flash-all.sh (DID NOT factory reset/wipe data)
5. Copy/Moved these files to the Platform-tools folder:
bootloader-coral-....img
flash-all.bat
image-coral-....zip
radio-coral-....img
6. booted to fastboot
7. batch file did not work- bcuz it gave error stating not valid fastboot and to get lastest versio of platform tools, which is what I'm on = platform- tools_r33.0.3-linux
8. ran
a. fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-coral-c2f2-0.4-8351033.img
b. fastboot reboot-bootloader

c. fastboot flash radio radio-coral-g8150-00123-220402-b-8399852.img
d. fastboot reboot-bootloader

e.fastboot update image-coral-sq3a.220705.003.a1.zip

when it finishes, google starts loading, then defaults into the boot-loader.../fastboot menu.
DURING Step "E", I ALSO get a an option to go into a "recovery" menu and step "E" fails when entered "recovery" menu.

?A: is this because of the non-patched boot.img in the platform folder?
?B: should I attempt to fully side-load the A12 stock.zip file?

@xorrgnlusrx = PLEASE ALSO SEND YOUR INSTRUCTIONS

(do you want to patch stock android 12 firmware boot.img ?, i can send you a12 stock firmware patched boot.img / or los 19 stock patched boot.img if that helps.)

& Curiousn00b suggested: "Now for accessing the data partition, maybe try flashing stock but don't wipe the device. If you're still greeted with errors, you might just end up screwed and having to fully wipe." " I normally flash stock without wiping my /data/ partition when I mess something up on a rom just to recover what I wanted, then fully wipe the device for a fresh start. If you want, you can try this as a last resort. I know sometimes you just end up in a fastboot/recovery loot about how the system is corrupted and then you're basically forced to clean flash at that point.

1. Fastbooted files FROM A12.stock.. coral-sq3a.220705.003.a1-factory-7d161018.zip

3. extracted zip file
4. Remove -w from flash-all.bat and flash-all.sh (DID NOT factory reset/wipe data)
bootloader-coral-....img
flash-all.bat
image-coral-....zip
radio-coral-....img
6. booted to fastboot
7. batch file did not work- bcuz it gave error stating not valid fastboot and to get lastest versio of platform tools, which is what I'm on = platform- tools_r33.0.3-linux
8. ran

when it finishes, google starts loading, then defaults into the boot-loader.../fastboot menu.
DURING Step "E", I ALSO get a an option to go into a "recovery" menu and step "E" fails when entered "recovery" menu.

At this stage I think you are just trolling.

Modify the bat script and remove the lines containing which fastboot is required, remove all the lines above, fastboot flash etc, if you can't modify the bat script , run on Linux and modify the flash all .sh and remove what was mentioned above, if that doesn't work , flash radio / bootloader in fastboot , reboot into bootloader and run fastboot reboot fastboot, this will boot you into fastbootd from there run fastboot flash update image-coral-sq3a.220705.003.a1.zip,
If that doesn't working unzip the zip and flash them all manually , ie . fastboot flash system *system.IMG* etc etc ..

Modify the bat script and remove the lines containing which fastboot is required, remove all the lines above, fastboot flash etc, if you can't modify the bat script , run on Linux and modify the flash all .sh and remove what was mentioned above, if that doesn't work , flash radio / bootloader in fastboot , reboot into bootloader and run fastboot reboot fastboot, this will boot you into fastbootd from there run fastboot flash update image-coral-sq3a.220705.003.a1.zip,
If that doesn't working unzip the zip and flash them all manually , ie . fastboot flash system *system.IMG* etc etc ..
If you cant boot into fastbootd , run

Fastboot boot *linagerecovery.zip*

From there you should be able to run fastboot reboot fastboot. And you should be in fastbootd where you can manually flash all that is contained within the zip. I would try fastboot flash update *example.zip* first before manually doing it. Anyhoo , a multitude of ways to accomplish this simple task.

If you cant boot into fastbootd , run

Fastboot boot *linagerecovery.zip*

From there you should be able to run fastboot reboot fastboot. And you should be in fastbootd where you can manually flash all that is contained within the zip. I would try fastboot flash update *example.zip* first before manually doing it. Anyhoo , a multitude of ways to accomplish this simple task.
You might be able to adb pull once you temp boot recovery

I agree, this is some of the craziest steps taken (and none of them should have been done). I have no clue what this user did because its written like a zodiac cryptogram. We can help, but you gotta listen and stop trying so many things randomly and without warrant. If you want help, tell us where you are now, what's the status, what have you done/undone to fix this?

xdadottts

Oct 2, 2022

@GROOVYJOSHCLARK..Absolutely not..Give me slack dudeThe point was to share the issue & what procedures I performed.​

The error: "Password. requires after device restarts" showed no solutions except for a posting with A8..when supposedly TWRP worked.
I was on Los 18.1..now I cant even find it...Therefore other methods had to be tried, since not one post effectively addressed the error but only in variables...

Reactions: GROOVYJOSHCLARK

@GROOVYJOSHCLARK..Absolutely not..Give me slack dudeThe point was to share the issue & what procedures I performed.​

The error: "Password. requires after device restarts" showed no solutions except for a posting with A8..when supposedly TWRP worked.
I was on Los 18.1..now I cant even find it...Therefore other methods had to be tried, since not one post effectively addressed the error but only in variables...
Sorry man, I didn't mean to bash, I just can't follow the weirda$$ layout you use (all over the place with quotes/replies that made it really hard to follow) at least for me. It did seem like you were just posting a lot of random things, to sound like questions, so originally it did come off troll'y. I didn't mean to upset, but I also have ZERO clue where you are now, and what's left to do (what's the goal)?

At this point, if you can't get into the OS, then I would try to get any type of OS loaded, just to pull out my data using ADB (or any means possible). Meaning, I have no idea what you are trying to do now (other than fix it) but I don't know where you are physically, what ROM is loaded, what OS is loaded, can you get in to anything, will it boot, what happens when it boots, where is it hung up, ETC?

My goal/focus would be to load any OS, but without causing further damage to the /data partition (so you can backup and save everything) then wipe it and start over and restore the data. If you want my help to do this, I need answers, but clearly laid out so I don't guess, or get a headache trying to follow the flow.

Last edited:

Curiousn00b

Well guys, I can vouch for him with the whole random password thing happening. It's happened to me a handful of times where I've rebooted my phone, and the password I set just would not work whatsoever after days/weeks of using the phone fine. I couldn't get to the bottom of it either, but luckily whatever I had on the phone wasn't super super important since I backup my SMS everyday, and use Google Photos for pictures.

At random times, I'd reboot and type the password in fast enough and it'll unlock normal, and sometimes it was just a dead end. The password the phone would be looking for was N/A, and on top of that, no matter how many times you typed it in wrong, there was no cool down for it. I was just able to infinitely guess the password wrong without it locking me out completely. 😅

@xdadottts In the end dude, you might be screwed and have no choice but to factory reset to get your device back running properly.

On a side note, pre-ordered the Pixel 7 Pro, so my time in the 4XL is limited now.

Curiousn00b

Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean I absolutely must install Magisk before Official LOS will be able to pass SafetyNet?
Pretty much, but I do think that the version in the OP with Google Apps baked in might have the fix. Not 100% sure on that, but the module that currently works no problem is this one below.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

lineage-os-logo.png

Google Pixel 4 XL

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 19.1 thread for the Google Pixel 4 XL.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    • coral - My unofficial with Google Apps/Pixel goodies included. Passes SafetyNet by default. OTA's roll roughly once a month. Support not guaranteed or implied.​
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • None.​
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.​
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.​
    • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so no need to worry about updating it on your own!​
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_google_msm-4.14
    Hey all! The final 19.1 unofficial are rolling right now.

From here on it will be 20 builds for these devices only when it comes to unofficials.

The device will continue receiving official 19.1 for some time, but 20 will launch soon enough, so get ready to migrate using the upgrade guides!

3. extracted zip file
    bootloader-coral-....img
    flash-all.bat
    image-coral-....zip
    radio-coral-....img
    6. booted to fastboot
    8. ran

Put it in the microwave on high and set settings to high for 1 Minute.
    you better stick your useless head in there
    Please only discuss lineage on this thread. You've talked about so much random stuff.

I didn't grow up in the Sixties, but reading those posts with all those different colors and font sizes gives me a small idea of what an acid trip must feel like. :ROFLMAO: