[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 19.1 for the Moto G7/G7 Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Lineageos roms don't have what Verizon needs. It'll never work. In fact no third party rom works.

In my experience that is not necessarily true unless something recently has changed. Could you describe what it is that Verizon needs that is missing in LOS, and could you cite a source of such information?

I'm not dismissing the possibility but it would seem that if Verizon were universally incompatible with LOS ROMs that there would be more information about that floating around. That being said, at a more granular level it is common for different devices, even similar devices, to have different capabilities and to experience different glitches; more about that in another post.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Flashed this but noticed it wouldn't work on Verizon. Data worked but couldn't make calls or send text.
Had to flash back to stock rom.

Thanks for letting me know. My personal line is on AT&T and never had any issues with customs roms. This G7 is my work phone on Verizon and first time finding out. Guess it won't work with PixelExperience either then.

FWIW I've seen nearly identical symptoms in LOS17 on a Moto G7 power (Ocean) on T-mobile prepaid (uses same infrastructure as AT&T here). LTE was OK but Volte did not work on the G7 under T-Mobile service in that version of LOS or any other for that matter, but everything else worked fine.

At some point I tried to reflash and after doing so, on a device which had worked fine earlier that morning, there was thst symptom you mentioned. The device could connect to mobile data but had no cellular service.

I restored the device to stock on which that issue did not occur and on which volte was working okay and have not yet switched back to LOS. There was little activity in the XDA threads or LOS bug reporting about this although there was confirmation from at least one other T-Mobile user. Also, comparisons to a stock Moto G Power 2020 (Sofia) on identical T-Mobile service indicate that even on stock the devices are handled differently by the provider even when running the same stock version of Android.

Points being, issue may not have been provider specific, and might be fixed by restoring stock then reflashing LOL That's easy for me to say having not tested it, cowering in a corner still on stock :).

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
People seriously misunderstand things here:

[EDIT] @npjohnson. If that is directed at the claim that LOS does not work on Verizon (which has nothing specifically to do with volte) then I agree, but if that is directed at me for my description of the history of volte on this device under T-mobile, then I would push back a bit as there are niche cases which render untrue the statement "if volte works on stock it will work in LOS". In any event the only reason I mentioned volte is because it was during an exploration of volte that I encountered the same error that the user reported. Getting back to their question, *

LineageOS can't provision VoLTE the way stock does - if it works on stock, and you come to LIneageOS, it will work just fine.

Yep. to your point: previously volte did not work on stock on this G7 until T-Mobile started supporting this device and others for volte. It was something about their device roster, and even now with volte working in stock this device does not receive all the same T-Mo services that the later model does, and it's not a matter of this device being older, it never received good support from T-Mo as previous and later devices did. Thanks for the explanation and for working on LOS. I'm considering jumping back in and this would be the device I do it with.

Last edited:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
People seriously misunderstand things here:

Maybe not as much as it seems and I apologize for making it seem that way with the tangent about volte. I'm not misunderstanding, in fact I'm trying to prevent the spreading of bad information about LOS capability on Verizon so, getting back to the original question

Is there any general limitation of LOS on Verizon devices?

This his is not about volte capability but rather regards reported symptoms:

Good mobile data but no cellar services (calls or text).

Having experienced the same thing exactly once I see that as a possible byproduct of the history of flashing on the device and possibly repairable by restoring stock then flashing LOS again but someone else has stated that is merely because LOS does not work on Verizon. This is what I'm trying to clarify. Again apologies for the confusion about volte which was only a conversational segue.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Maybe not as much as it seems and I apologize for making it seem that way with the tangent about volte. I'm not misunderstanding, in fact I'm trying to prevent the spreading of bad information about LOS capability on Verizon so, getting back to the original question

Is there any general limitation of LOS on Verizon devices?

This his is not about volte capability but rather regards reported symptoms:

Good mobile data but no cellar services (calls or text).

Having experienced the same thing exactly once I see that as a possible byproduct of the history of flashing on the device and possibly repairable by restoring stock then flashing LOS again but someone else has stated that is merely because LOS does not work on Verizon. This is what I'm trying to clarify. Again apologies for the confusion about volte which was only a conversational segue.
If it works on your stock rom it will work here.

If you have to hack up your stock rom probably not.

You should start on stock with VZW, make sure everything works, then migrate to lineage.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Keeping in mind that the original question was about LOS and Verizon, I'll still speak to the this stuff about volte.

If that is now true - wonderful, but that definitely was not the case in previous version of LOS on this device on T-mo (and other devices on t-mo) for which volte worked in stock but not in LOS. That issue was only reported from T-Mobile but not from users of other providers. I will see if that has changed when I have a chance to test.

You should start on stock with VZW, make sure everything works, then migrate to lineage.

Yes Indeed, and that is what I was planning to do back then in LOS 17 but when I noticed that volte worked in stock where it was not working in LOS I stayed on stock. Now that I'm using a different device as a daily, I plan to test LOS on the G7. Thanks again for maintaining LOS.

Also, FYI: I'm not just guessing about the past history of volte and LOS on this device. I've flashed hundreds of ROMs across a dozen devices and this particular issue is something I dug into with two levels of T-Mobile support and by researching official LOS bug reports as well as multiple XDA threads and elsewhere.

Last edited:

lessmeat

Jan 1, 2013

If you have to hack up your stock rom probably not.

No it doesn't work. But everyone is free to ignore this and waste their time trying.

Stock works. LineageOS doesn't. No third party rom works.

Btw, what's up with Moto Cam? It can't save to SD card. Thanks.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
No it doesn't work. But everyone is free to ignore this and waste their time trying.

Stock works. LineageOS doesn't. No third party rom works.

Btw, what's up with Moto Cam? It can't save to SD card. Thanks.
VoLTE on TMO 1000% works. I use it.

If it's provisioned on stock, it works here.

I have confirmation of the same for ATT so long as it is provisioned before moving to lineage.

As for MotoCamera, not sure. Now that Aperture is competent debating dropping it and just using that.

Reactions: IronTechmonkey

lessmeat

Jan 1, 2013

I have confirmation of the same for ATT so long as it is provisioned before moving to lineage.

As for MotoCamera, not sure. Now that Aperture is competent debating dropping it and just using that.
I meant Verizon. It doesn't work.

Att tmo yes, no prob.

Yeah, let's get a working cam app that's able to save to SD card as the internal is only 32g, quite limited.

Formating SD card as internal always results in infinite reboot loop, whatever the care size.

Cstark27's gcam ports don't work on 19.1 and 20, for some reasons.

A working fm radio app would be awesome.

Thanks all. Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013

This is funny because originally I was posting about the dubious claim that LOS does not work on Verizon (having nothing to do with volte), but instead I've gotten reassurance about volte on t-mobile. Thanks! I have seen too many situations where LOS had niche issues with a specific provider or combinations of settings (no mods) to think it's safe to say if it works in stock it will always work in LOS, but thanks to your encouragement about volte on t-mobile, I'm running out of excuses not to try LOS again.

Getting back to that odd claim about Verizon and LOS having general problems, are there any known general issues with LOS on Verizon with this device?

Last edited:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I meant Verizon. It doesn't work

You've stated this in response to a report of symptoms which resemble an issue with the flashing process but you are claiming it is a general Verizon-LOS issue rather than a one-off.

I'm not saying it can't be a general issue but if you are going to make such a sweeping claim you should back it up especially when the symptoms in question seem to point to another cause.

Is there any empirical evidence (other than on your device/provider) which indicates there is a general issue between Verizon and LOS? Absent supporting descriptions or logs, the fact that no custom ROMs work on your device on Verizon should not be conflated with any general issue between LOS and T-mobile. Again, this is not to say such an issue could not exist, but there is as yet no other indication that it does.

[EDIT] Disregard question as other indication that this is not a general issue has been provided.

Last edited:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I definitely verified Verizon worked on the stock rom before unlocking the bootloader and flashing LOS.

By any chance were you moving from one iteration of LOS to another (not stopping on stock in between) when you saw that symptom of no cellular phone or text but good mobile data? Thinking back on it, I had experienced that unique symptom set when flashing between different iterations of LOS and a custom ROM based on LOS. I usually don't jump back to stock when doing that but it wouldn't surprise me if refreshing stock and then trying again yielded a better result. The fact that you and I saw that symptom set on different providers in differnt version of Android and LOS is to me actually encouragement that it is not a general issue and that it is something which might be fixed by a refresh to stock.

9000RPM

Aug 27, 2012
By any chance were you moving from one iteration of LOS to another (not stopping on stock in between) when you saw that symptom of no cellular phone or text but good mobile data? Thinking back on it, I had experienced that unique symptom set when flashing between different iterations of LOS and a custom ROM based on LOS. I usually don't jump back to stock when doing that but it wouldn't surprise me if refreshing stock and then trying again yielded a better result. The fact that you and I saw that symptom set on different providers in differnt version of Android and LOS is to me actually encouragement that it is not a general issue and that it is something which might be fixed by a refresh to stock.

I only flashed LOS 19 from this thread. I'll try again once I get my OnePlus 7 Pro fixed. I broke the LCD flex cable during the battery replacement. Already bought the replacement cable.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I only flashed LOS 19 from this thread. I'll try again once I get my OnePlus 7 Pro fixed. I broke the LCD flex cable during the battery replacement. Already bought the replacement cable.

Thanks, that's part of what I was fishing for, but is missing the Android version and ROM variant the device was on when you flashed LOS 19 (perhaps you mentioned that, I'll double check thread).

My hypothesis is: that, although we can usually flash between similar ROMs safely without having to return to stock in between, there are some times where we must return to stock in order to flash the next ROM. That seems to have been the case for me. If you were on any custom ROM when you flashed LOS 19 then the same might be the case for you. If you were on latest clean unmodified stock when you flashed LOS 19 then our circumstances are not identical but in both cases a return to stock may be on the path to the next successful flash of LOS.

I'm particularly interested in anything regarding that symptom [good mobile data with no phone or text) which I've only seen that one time and which I would have attributed to T-mobile roster management had you not reported it from a Verizon device. If and when I get around to testing this seriously I may see what happens when device is flashed with and without SIM inserted.

dallas6672

Aug 13, 2011
I haven't tried LOS 19 or 20, but can confirm that 18.1 works with Verizon on the G7 River.

Our local carrier was bought out by Verizon a while back. During the migration, calls and text quit working. I went back to stock, verified that the phone was provisioned and calls/texts were working again. Then flashed back to LOS and haven't had a problem since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Moto G7/G7 Power

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 19.1 thread for the Moto G7/G7 Power.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    • Moto G7
      • river - Official builds
      • river - My unofficial with Google Apps/Pixel goodies included. Passes SafetyNet by default. OTA's roll roughly once a month. Support not guaranteed or implied.
    • Moto G7 Power
      • ocean - Official builds
      • ocean - My unofficial with Google Apps/Pixel goodies included. Passes SafetyNet by default. OTA's roll roughly once a month. Support not guaranteed or implied.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • None.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_motorola_sdm632
    Hey all! The final 19.1 unofficial are rolling right now.

From here on it will be 20 builds for these devices only when it comes to unofficials.

The device will continue receiving official 19.1 for some time, but 20 will launch soon enough, so get ready to migrate using the upgrade guides!
    Hi.
    For anyone having problem with sensor_SMD 2000000000 kernel wakelock battery drain problem. Solution to this problem is disabling Significant Motion Detector.

You can do this by adding custom prop using MagiskHide Props Config Magisk module:

ro.vendor.sensors.smd and set value to false.

I hope someone will find this post helpful.
    River already had it, but fix merged for Channel and Ocean, sorry about missing that!

Only issue I have so far is a pop up telling me "Android System Intelligence keeps stopping".
    My brain notification service shows the same message from time to time as well: "System Intelligence keeps stopping" :)
    I did. Just wanted to be sure because sometimes the guides leave out steps. Install was fine, looks like it is missing the FM Radio app, any reason why? Thanks.
    Fixing it.