[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 20 for the Google Pixel 4 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ralfbergs

Dec 6, 2014
What's your specific question, I will answer it and help you through getting LOS 20 on your device (with or without data loss). It depends on where you are now, and what ROM/firmware you are on, but you can probably just flash the latest boot.img/ROM.zip and OTA upgrade, but dont do that until you answer my questions. Whats the status, what ROM are you on, and what's the specific question or concern?

Your original question is a little confusing, so I am just trying to sort out what you really need. I would NOT revert to stock, no need. Flash the latest boot.img, enter recovery, apply update, then on PC send the update. This is the usual process so where are you hung up, or what's the issue you face (or concerns you fear happening)?
Hi, thanks for your response.

I tried to be as easy to understand, obviously I failed. ;-)

Here's my two messages, in case you missed them:

Few mins ago upgraded my wife's 4XL from 19.1 to 20.0. Super smooth and quick experience (much faster than a stock update!), no troubles at all (one single crash of "Settings" app after first reboot, but according to my long experience with LineageOS this seems to be "normal", after another reboot not a single crash anymore).

Everything is working, no rough edges whatsoever.

Forgot to ask one thing:

Does it make sense to flash the device to stock ROM version "13.0.0 (TP1A.221005.002.B2, Feb 2023)" if it was on the latest "regular" version of "13.0.0 (TP1A.221005.002, Oct 2022)" when LineageOS 19.1 was installed?

I would really like to avoid that, because it would mean factory-resetting the device with all the pain that comes with it...

As I just mentioned, phone is running perfectly w/ LineageOS 20.0 latest build (2 days old) now, not sure whether there are any "modem" changes (or other meaningful firmware blobs that will "stick" even when flashing to LOS) between OCT and FEB manufacturer firmware?

EDIT: I just noticed that I downloaded the below files from the official download location, but I was never instructed to use them:

(boot|dtbo|super_empty|vbmeta).img

When/why would I use them? Is it to revert to "stock"? Or is this exactly what I'm asking about in the beginning of this message? A possibility to upgrade the parts of Google's firmware that are also being used under LOS without reflashing back to stock?

I think I know how I would flash them, but I'd rather wait for instructions...
So, my specific questions:
  • What is the purpose of the image files (boot|dtbo|super_empty|vbmeta).img?
  • Under which circumstances should these be installed?
  • If the device was on stock "13.0.0 (TP1A.221005.002, Oct 2022)" when installing LOS 19.1, and later upgraded to 20.0, would it add any benefit to flash stock "13.0.0 (TP1A.221005.002, Oct 2022)" and then go back to LOS again?
Thank you for your help.

ralfbergs

Dec 6, 2014
No. It doesn't.

You can flash it as it includes firmware. Wiki says this too.
Thanks for your response.

"It doesn't"? What exactly? This doesn't seem to be a response to the quoted message?

Where does the Wiki say so? I checked the install instructions again, but couldn't find anything? Googling it gives many hits, but I can't find anything that looks like official instructions or at least somehow meaningful (that really explains if and when to use for what).

Making available files immediately aside the main download and not explaining what it is on the same page where the installation is described is not ideal, if I may say so.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Thanks for your response.

"It doesn't"? What exactly? This doesn't seem to be a response to the quoted message?

Where does the Wiki say so? I checked the install instructions again, but couldn't find anything? Googling it gives many hits, but I can't find anything that looks like official instructions or at least somehow meaningful (that really explains if and when to use for what).

Making available files immediately aside the main download and not explaining what it is on the same page where the installation is described is not ideal, if I may say so.
I meant it doesn't need to be updated.

The wiki doesn't say to flash the full factory image, or do anything related to firmware, it just says to boot recovery and flash in the upgrade guide for your device (note, upgrade not install).

And making those images available is only non ideal to people who don't read the wiki, if you follow it, you'll see those aren't needed for what you're doing.

If you go elsewhere on the wiki, you may see links to those images, those are the places you would use those.

Reactions: ralfbergs

ralfbergs

Dec 6, 2014
I meant it doesn't need to be updated.
Thanks for clarifying.
The wiki doesn't say to flash the full factory image, or do anything related to firmware, it just says to boot recovery and flash in the upgrade guide for your device (note, upgrade not install).
True, and because I (as always) closely followed the instructions, I was successful, and observed no issues whatsoever -- but it was still confusing, and I suspect it may also be confusing to others.
And making those images available is only non ideal to people who don't read the wiki, if you follow it, you'll see those aren't needed for what you're doing.
I still believe an explicit message to ignore them would be a benefit.

Hi, thanks for your response.

I tried to be as easy to understand, obviously I failed. ;-)

Here's my two messages, in case you missed them:

So, my specific questions:
  • What is the purpose of the image files (boot|dtbo|super_empty|vbmeta).img?
  • Under which circumstances should these be installed?
  • If the device was on stock "13.0.0 (TP1A.221005.002, Oct 2022)" when installing LOS 19.1, and later upgraded to 20.0, would it add any benefit to flash stock "13.0.0 (TP1A.221005.002, Oct 2022)" and then go back to LOS again?
Thank you for your help.
1) was it settings service? if yes, uninstall from play store, if not, try to screenshot it (but if it went away, its probably fine).
2) boot.img is the boot image and recovery needed to flash the firmware, you wont need DBTO or the rest. They are provided in case you need to write your own from source and contains the needed partitions, but ignore them. You only need the boot.img (for recovery).

The official LOS zip is a FULL ROM, so it has everything you need. I didnt prepare my device, or do anything more than a factory reset, then flashed LOS coming from other A13 ROMs.

Reactions: ralfbergs

ralfbergs

Dec 6, 2014
1) was it settings service?
Yes.
if yes, uninstall from play store
Are you sure that I would be able to do so? I've flashed GApss as part of the installation from the recovery, I would assume all these apps are system apps that cannot be uninstalled?
(but if it went away, its probably fine).
Yes, problem never surfaced. Phone is as stable as with a stock firmware, simply perfect.
2) boot.img is the boot image and recovery needed to flash the firmware,
Yes, that's what I now realized. I'm not even sure whether I followed that bit when I installed 20.0 (might be a small mistake on my side), but as I had 19.1 installed earlier with the LOS recovery, it obviously didn't matter a lot.
you wont need DBTO or the rest. They are provided in case you need to write your own from source and contains the needed partitions, but ignore them.
Thank you.

Yes.

Are you sure that I would be able to do so? I've flashed GApss as part of the installation from the recovery, I would assume all these apps are system apps that cannot be uninstalled?

Yes, problem never surfaced. Phone is as stable as with a stock firmware, simply perfect.

Yes, that's what I now realized. I'm not even sure whether I followed that bit when I installed 20.0 (might be a small mistake on my side), but as I had 19.1 installed earlier with the LOS recovery, it obviously didn't matter a lot.

Thank you.
Yes, first thing I do is remove systems service, its a known crasher app. Its OK to remove settings service, or leave it, but it may FC from time to time, I just remove it (and haven't had it installed in over a year on multiple ROMs).

May 31, 2018
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 4 XL
@npjohnson
Quick heads up - the latest 2023-3-21 (edit: and 2023-3-22) unofficial/with Google Apps build appears to break gesture app switching. Similar to the prior Android 13 QPR, I'm guessing Pixel Launcher needs updated.

Thankfully, I can still swipe up from any app to return to the home screen, so it's less broken than last time this happened. But the Recent Apps list never shows other apps and attempting to switch apps often crashes Pixel Launcher.

EDIT: I see a new build has already been posted in the past 12 hours or so. Trying that!

EDIT 2: Still having issues with the 2023-3-22 build.

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
@npjohnson
Quick heads up - the latest 2023-3-21 (edit: and 2023-3-22) unofficial/with Google Apps build appears to break gesture app switching. Similar to the prior Android 13 QPR, I'm guessing Pixel Launcher needs updated.

Thankfully, I can still swipe up from any app to return to the home screen, so it's less broken than last time this happened. But the Recent Apps list never shows other apps and attempting to switch apps often crashes Pixel Launcher.

EDIT: I see a new build has already been posted in the past 12 hours or so. Trying that!

Ugh I'll look.

son_91

Feb 8, 2013
Google Pixel 4 XL
@npjohnson

The same bugs. Also, I can't change wallpaper, the launcher says: app isn't installed.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
@npjohnson

Thank you for tagging me for this, I would have missed it, I have fixed the issue, and new builds are coming

Reactions: digitalcircuit
@npjohnson can you please explain why these certs are missing in your gitlab i dont mean any disrespect just want to know and understand why some files are missing thats all.

Firefox_Screenshot_2023-03-23T03-23-43.013Z.png

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
@npjohnson can you please explain why these certs are missing in your gitlab i dont mean any disrespect just want to know and understand why some files are missing thats all.View attachment 5869785
Because they're my proprietary signing certs.

I literally open sourced everything about my builds, they're re-creatable just as lineage's are.

No one in their right mind shares their private keys. That's what identifies a build as "by you" - if I gave those out anyone could sign a ROM as myself/ODS.

No ROM/ROM developer open sources their certificates.

fatalazn

Feb 26, 2012
New to this guys. I'm sad that Google didn't give a new update to this phone.

Is this the best rom for pixel 4 xl?

Will anything be affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Google Pixel 4 XL

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 20 thread for the Google Pixel 4 XL.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    • coral - Official builds​
    • coral - My unofficial with Google Apps/Pixel goodies included. Passes SafetyNet by default. OTA's roll roughly once a month. Support not guaranteed or implied.​
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • None.​
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.​
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.​
    • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so no need to worry about updating it on your own!​
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_google_msm-4.14
    @npjohnson HI can you please post the sources for your unofficial build its against the xda forum rules since you are providing 2 different versions of lineageOS so you should provide sources for both not just official which is not even released, The title of this thread says official and the official is not even released yet but an unofficial build so either create a different thread with unofficial version and add the sources for it and whenever official lineageOS is available create a different thread, Or add the sources for unofficial build as well in this thread.

Which ever device i had i have always went through the source codes of all custom i used mostly lineageOS and i hope you dont get me wrong. i do a lot of research on custom roms and i need to understand why if something feels wrong.

i will contact the moderators of this forum as well for more information.
    Wow. Threaten me right off the bat with contacting moderators?

Hilarious. Stuff like this genuinely makes me dislike doing this.

Let me address these individually:

1. The official kernel source I link is the /only/ one there is - and I might add - the kernel is the only one that is a GPL component that has to be released.

2. For your information, by choice, not by license, all sources for the official AND unofficial are public.

Next time you want to threaten someone, do some preliminary research first - this is linked in multiple places - and I will take a moment to say, none of this is legally required to be released as it's all either apache or proprietary licensed, I do the work, structure, package, and publisize it because I believe in FOSS. https://gitlab.com/oddsolutions

3. Seriously - I can't state enough how annoying threats are when it's a hobby - if you'd just said "hey, is there any kernel source difference in the unofficial? If so can I have it?" - I would have just said "No differences, but enjoy all the other stuff I open sourced too!"

That said, have fun, I'm off to enjoy my Thanksgiving vacation :)

EDIT: One additional piece here - the officials were supposed to launch a month ago - our infrastructure people have been struggling to get signing to work - 20.0 will literally launch randomly some day soon when they figure it out - so I made the threads to get feedback from users ahead of time on device-specific bugs so that when the official launched, I just un-strike through the download link and let people enjoy.
    Hey @npjohnson I am so sorry if you took this the wrong way It was never a threat bro 😔 and never will, I appreciate your hard work and all your doing for the community so please don't take this as a threat rather a misunderstanding, All I want to understand is the link to the source is for linked to official kernel source since you know unofficial builds does not pass safety net and never did so in order to do that framework-base and few other pieace of the source code needs to be modified so all I am saying is the source for the unofficial build should be provided as well jot just official.
    Every developer here provides the links to the source code, How is that a threat bro?
    If I do something Like this you can tell me the same thing and I would never take it personally and I will always provide links to all the source code.
    Everyone has the right to inspect the source code tell me If I am wrong?
    You are wrong on that point.

From a legal perspective, there is no "right" to inspect source code.

You may want to go read about licenses a little bit. Android - the frameworks and system side, is licensed Apache2 - which just states that you can use it - has no requirement to be published - at all - ever wondered why we don't get source for Samsung OneUI? Because they don't legally have to.

The linux kernel, and a few other pieces of external modules are GPL licensed, which requires release of accompanying source code, which is linked as per the kernel source in the OP to comply with XDA requirements that GPL modules be linked in the OP.

Again, regardless of that - I provide the source code anyway.

I use a tool called ih8sn to pass safety net - if you looked at the link I provided in my last post, you'd see that, and find a link to coral's specific configuration to use with it.

I even provide nice prebuilt local_manifests that you can snag and sync to build this 1:1 with ease.
    Hey all, I am moving and therefore the unofficial update server/wiki will be down for a few days. Likely Wednesday, Friday at the worst.

Don’t panic when links in the OP don’t work, and your Updater app says something like “Can’t connect to server”. It is planned outage.

Thanks, see you on the other side!
    @npjohnson as a core member for lineage , any news about android 14 update bro
    DEAR GOD.

The number one rule is no ETA's. Yet you are the 5th person _today_ to ask.

It will be ready when and if it is ever ready.

We have literally had 0 time to work on it.