General Official List of Sideloaded Apps and Workarounds For Galaxy Watch 4 (GW4)

Search This thread
Is there a Wear Reminders app out there somewhere we can use?
The Samsung Reminder App that comes stock on GW4 syncs with Samsung Reminder on phone and has tile, complication, and Bixby integration support. There's no way there's going to be better than that because the stock app is actually extremely good.

If your deadset on something else, try searching "Wear Reminder 2" in Wear OS Play Store.

bajungadustin

Sep 18, 2009
.​

Messenger Lite v18 (ApkMirror): Fully functional with chat and call support. If you use Facebook Messenger frequently then this is must have!

Facebook Messenger (Wear OS) (ApkMirror): This was the official Facebook Messenger plugin that came preloaded on watches running Android Wear. It's extremely lightweight since it can't be launched or interacted with directly from the launcher. It serves as an interface between your watch and mobile device for when you receive a Messenger notification on your watch. When you tap on the notification and select "Open app", an interface for communicating back and forth with Messenger will open. If you plan on having a conversation consisting of multiple messages back and forth, this is the best way to do it. It's designed for watch screens and is easy to use. You can even open it back up if you minimize it by launching it from recent apps. You can also launch multiple instances of the app, one for each conversation, allowing you to switch between interfaces seamlessly. Personally, it's one of my favorite discoveries as a useful addon for having a quick conversation.

When I try to install messenger it says "doesn't seem like this app is for wear os".. How are people installing it?

When I try to install messenger it says "doesn't seem like this app is for wear os".. How are people installing it?
Wear Installer only works for apps that were designed for Wear OS but for one reason or another aren't listed in the Wear Play Store. Often times due to it being outdated.

So it won't work for apps like Messenger Lite, Facebook Lite, Google Go, or Google Assistant Go and so on because they weren't designed with a Wear OS manifest, meaning they were designed for Wear OS. They just happen to work so we use them but you have to sideload it with ADB commands or apps like BugJaeger or Easy Fire Tools.

Note: Facebook Messenger (Wear OS) isn't part of the main phone app. It's just a separate plugin APK.

Reactions: galaxys
Has anyone been able to link their Google account to Wear Photos or Wear Documents on their phone? Google is blocking me from doing so but Wear Photos is the most complete photo sharing application for Wear OS and Documents is the best in it's category.

It's hard to find apps that offer cloud sync support AND local device support without having to send file to.watch first.

edwardob

Feb 8, 2009
tried installing files but the allow button just wont continue setup so cant go any further?
any ideas

MustangLife03

Jan 25, 2015
The newest version of Google Files dated Jan 18 shows a screen DPI 160-640. Would this be a plug and play sideload install. What architecture version of YouTube do I install on GW4

oranek

Aug 16, 2011
Any tip on how to make messenger lite send button (you know, when you write and then you have to click the blue arrow to send the message) appear in more accesible place? Like it is on my watch in the bottom right corner, and only fraction of it sticks out, which I sometimes managed to press with a finger nail.

Garoto1973

Dec 29, 2010
Heredia, Costa Rica
Hi, this thread is awesome! Some of these apps are really useful, definitely my favorite one is Wear Mail. Most of the other work very well. I have installed at the moment

Go Assistant
Google News
Wear Mail
Facebook Lite
Translator
You Tube Go

After I installed them I am now draining around 10% per hour with minimal use of the watch (just checking a couple of notifications per hour).

I expected some drainage but I want to achieve between 5-7% drainage per hour max. Do you know how can I check which app is drainig the most or is there a known app of the ones above that might be the culprit?

Reactions: bingblop

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Hi, this thread is awesome! Some of these apps are really useful, definitely my favorite one is Wear Mail. Most of the other work very well. I have installed at the moment

Go Assistant
Google News
Wear Mail
Facebook Lite
Translator
You Tube Go

After I installed them I am now draining around 10% per hour with minimal use of the watch (just checking a couple of notifications per hour).

I expected some drainage but I want to achieve between 5-7% drainage per hour max. Do you know how can I check which app is drainig the most or is there a known app of the ones above that might be the culprit?
10% per hour is harsh. That gives you only 10hours from the watch. I've had Go Assistant installed with the remap app. That certainly did not lead to such a large drainage. I'd say, I didn't notice any difference. Hope you turned off debugging on the watch. The other thing I noticed a couple days ago I had some hefty battery drain, but a reboot solved it.
good luck

Reactions: crxssi

Garoto1973

Dec 29, 2010
Heredia, Costa Rica
10% per hour is harsh. That gives you only 10hours from the watch. I've had Go Assistant installed with the remap app. That certainly did not lead to such a large drainage. I'd say, I didn't notice any difference. Hope you turned off debugging on the watch. The other thing I noticed a couple days ago I had some hefty battery drain, but a reboot solved it.
good luck
Thanks for your input. I followed your advice and restarted the watch and now I am at 1.37% drainage per hour full notifications and AOD off so that’s an estimated 72 hours charge . I just need it to last 18 hours so I am good for now!

Reactions: derausgewanderte

DroidForLife33

Nov 14, 2012
I'm sorry if it was already asked and I just didn't see it but what's the DPI on the Galaxy watch 4 for the 40 mm variant? Thanks

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I'm sorry if it was already asked and I just didn't see it but what's the DPI on the Galaxy watch 4 for the 40 mm variant? Thanks
I believe it's 320. You can check by either adb or use bugjaeger app connected to the watch, and type the command
Code:
wm density

apparently, I'm wrong. Pixel per inch is 396x396 pixels (466PPI) for the smaller variant, while the 44mm has 450x450 pixels.
I now need to learn what wm actually calls.
cheers

Last edited:

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
10% per hour is harsh. That gives you only 10hours from the watch. I've had Go Assistant installed with the remap app. That certainly did not lead to such a large drainage. I'd say, I didn't notice any difference.[] The other thing I noticed a couple days ago I had some hefty battery drain, but a reboot solved it.
good luck
I have no interest in anything but Go Assistant, so that is what I focused on. Even with AOD on and Go installed, I still get something like 24 hours (which, since I only wear it less than half the day, equates to two days use in the "real word"). Like you, I didn't notice any battery hit by having Go installed or even using it occasionally. But, also like you, there have been a few occasions where I noticed the battery usage go high for no apparent reason and a reboot solved it. I rarely ever reboot it, mostly because it doesn't need it, but also because it is time-consuming and I also have to go back and mess with the Mic permissions each time to get Go to work again.

Reactions: derausgewanderte

Tefzors

Nov 23, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Hey, this is a wonderful thread and it's nice to see my GW4 have some more use than it was before.
Question: Is there a possibility to set density to certain apps rather than systemwide? Some apps would look better if the density was lower.

ТЕССА

Jan 10, 2022
Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Continuing to what @Tefzors suggested, I went through one post of oppo watch where in the comments they were discussing about using app cloner to change the display size of the app and then sideloading it to the watch, will it be possible on GW4? there are some apps that I'd like and i guess many other would like to use with a better view. Has anyone tried this?

Edit: I tried it with files go app, usually we need to change the dpi to get rid of that popup when we first start the app but I cloned the app with display size of 75% and it was showing the continue button without any other step, I don't know how the app looked on 100%(after we get rid of the popup) but on 75% it is looking pretty good. So you might as well give a try and if necessary add it to your OP.
    I found an alternative app that works ok on my GW4 for audiobooks but has anyone gotten any audible apk to run and work ok on the watch? Thanks.
    I found an alternative app that works ok on my GW4 for audiobooks but has anyone gotten any audible apk to run and work ok on the watch? Thanks.
    What app are you using? I have not yet found any that work directly from the watch. Best that I have found so far is to use Listen on my phone and to use Music Boss to control it, but there is a terrible lag between the watch and the phone.
    I
    What app are you using? I have not yet found any that work directly from the watch. Best that I have found so far is to use Listen on my phone and to use Music Boss to control it, but there is a terrible lag between the watch and the phone.
    I use wear casts app using the local file option on phone app to send the converted file to my watch. I've listened to a couple audiobooks that way, its the only one I have found that keeps track of your place while your listening. I would love to use audible on it though.
    Continuando con lo que sugirió [USUARIO=8742241]@Tefzors[/USUARIO], revisé una publicación de oppo watch donde en los comentarios discutían sobre el uso del clonador de aplicaciones para cambiar el tamaño de visualización de la aplicación y luego cargarla en el reloj , ¿será posible en GW4? hay algunas aplicaciones que me gustarían y supongo que muchas otras me gustaría usar con una mejor vista. ¿Alguien ha probado esto?

Editar: lo probé con la aplicación Files Go, por lo general, necesitamos cambiar el dpi para deshacernos de esa ventana emergente cuando iniciamos la aplicación por primera vez, pero cloné la aplicación con un tamaño de pantalla del 75% y mostraba el botón Continuar sin ningún otro paso, no sé cómo se ve la aplicación al 100 % (después de eliminar la ventana emergente), pero al 75 % se ve bastante bien. Por lo tanto, también podría intentarlo y, si es necesario, agregarlo a su OP.
    Good morning, could you pass me the tutorial to test it with other applications? Thanks.

Buenos días, ¿podría pasarme el tutorial para probarlo con otras aplicaciones? Gracias.
    --->SIDELOAD LIBRARY<---
    CATALOG
    USE LINKS I PROVIDED FOR EACH APP IF THE APP YOU'RE LOOKING FOR ISN'T IN GD APKMIRROR
    Google Assistant GO v2.8 (ApkMirror): It can do all the important functions you look for in a voice assistant such as phone calls, messaging, app launcher, smart home control, reminders, timers, alarms, perform searches, and is as good as it gets when it comes to answering questions. In terms of a workaround, it's really good and much better than the Wear OS Bixby which is essentially useless. This is the best option not just for GW4, but for all Wear OS given the current state it's in.

Google GO v1.7 (ApkMirror): Best way to use this is as a portal to quickly perform Google Searches and open links in your default browser. It can display quick search results without having to open any links (Weather, Dictionary, Tracking, Etc). It's essentially a stripped down version of the Google App. Newer versions will open links using a Chromium style browser which will crash on your watch unless you also have the Chrome browser app installed (listed below). Older versions will launch links in your default browser app.

Google Chrome for GW4 (XDA)(Google Drive): This version of Chrome is listed in the XDA Google Assistant for GW4 Mega-Thread. It works well Sideloaded but I'm not sure if it's just an older version or also modded to not crash on GW4. This is my go-to personally.

Messenger Lite v18 (ApkMirror): Fully functional Facebook Messenger. If you use Facebook Messenger regularly, this app is a mandatory must have on watch!

Facebook Messenger (Wear OS) (ApkMirror): This is the official Facebook Messenger Wear OS plugin that comes preloaded on some brands that use Wear OS (Not Samsung). It's extremely lightweight and offers a very nice interface designed for watches when you tap "Open App" from a received Messenger notification. It's a convenience that you can install and then forget... It's difficult to explain but I use this and the Messenger Lite app listed above since this is only a plugin that operates as a system app with limited functionality but it's the best at what it does do.

Facebook Lite v49 (ApkMirror): This version works exceptionally well. No bottom bar blocking screen and includes dark mode. It even has it's native Messenger interface that looks amazing and gives you the option to load Messenger Lite or stay in the app. You don't even need Messenger Lite if you have this app and don't mind a couple extra taps to get there. Includes Marketplace, News Feed, profile editing, and all the other features you care about without the ones you don't.

YouTube Go v1.22.54 (ApkMirror): Finally found a YouTube app that works on GW4! It's 100% functional and looks AMAZING! The version I posted works excellent compared to others I tried. It's almost like it was designed for round screens. Also verified that it has no problem playing videos.

Google News v5.5 (ApkMirror): Compared to what's available on the Play Store, this app has no competition. The display isn't perfect but you'll have no problems accessing all content within the app. Several versions don't work but I posted and included a version of Google News that verified does work.

Google Translator (Google Drive): This is the old Translator app that used to come installed on Google Wear OS watches. It works perfectly. Very hard to find.

Google Home v2.7.21.2 (ApkMirror): After extensive testing with various versions of the APK, I can confirm v2.7 is the best version currently for GW4. I was surprised by just how well this app integrates into GW4. If you use Google Home then this is a must have for your GW4!

Google Files Go v1.0.19 (ApkMirror): Excellent file manager for your watch that includes an app manager, automatic junk removal, and cache cleaning. You will have to lower your DPI to dismiss the initial dialog upon installing the app. Newer versions work too with more features at the expense of performance and visibility.

Wear Mail (Watch) (Phone): This is an older standalone/companion email client designed for Wear OS that's available on the mobile Play Store but not Wear OS Play Store. You'll have to extract the Wear OS apk from the mobile apk using one of the sideloading apps I listed below or download it directly from the Google Drive account I linked for your convenience. It's still the best email app available for GW4 and includes linking to all the major players (Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc). It can do all the basic email functions you'd expect for an email app. Honorable Mentions: Wear Messages, Wear Photos, Wear Videos, Wear Calendar, and Wear Wifi

Gallery Go (ApkMirror): Lite version of Google photos for easy offline management and editing of your photos and videos. This does not sync photos between your devices. Only download if you store photos on your watch. Note: Wear Photos works better and is located within the Sideload library!

Spotify MOL (Google Drive): A modded Spotify Lite version. I've tried several modded Spotify apps and this is the best one I've found. It can play anything from your Spotify premium account directly from your watch as a standalone. You don't need your mobile device at all.

GW4 Remap (Download): This app is new to the scene by XDA user BigBoot93 and packs a huge punch that I think ya'll are gonna want. With the release of this app, we can now Remap the Bixby and/or Samsung Pay shortcuts to Google Assistant Go or Google Pay respectively. That's right! How it works is when you long press the hardware button, the app of your choice will override the built in app and launch over it. For the Bixby shortcut, it's highly recommended you change your settings to open the power menu instead of Bixby when long pressed. Then configure the app to launch Google Assistant whenever the Power Menu is shown. It's the best option for overriding Bixby hardware. This should help until Google releases an official version of GA for Wear OS 3.0. Update: Ultimate Alexa was just added to the list of configurable apps.
    Source: GitHub | XDA
    Discord v40.8 (ApkMirror): Works ok. Very clunky but functional if you absolutely need to get on Discord and don't have your phone. Skip this unless you're a Discord junkie.

Instagram Lite v200+ (ApkMirror): Old versions crash. It doesn't look the greatest but it's fully functional. The problem is that the bottom status bar covers 20-25% of the display with blank white space for some absurd reason. Unless you use Instagram often, I recommend skipping.

User Recommendations: Google Voice and Google Hangouts (Have not tried personally so I don't know).
    NOTE: You can lower your font size to optimum viewing by using the following ADB command: adb shell settings put system font_scale 0.80
    ---Can replace 0.80 with any number. Normal size font uses 1.00.

Apps Used For Side Loading
    Bugjaeger (Link): My personal favorite. Good for any ADB related action that you could possibly need for side loading including bundled installation. Do not prefix commands with "adb".
    Easy Fire Tools (Link): Basically the same thing as Bugjaeger with a multitude of other features that could be considered useful or useless depending on the user.
    Wear Installer (Link): Good app for quickly extracting the companion Wear OS apk from the mobile companion APK since several outdated apps aren't included in the Wear OS Play Store. Can save the APK or install directly on your watch. No command input functions however.

ADB Commands
    Change DPI: adb wm density xxx
    Display Current DPI: adb wm density
    Reset DPI: adb wm density reset
    Install App: adb -e install <filename.apk>
    Uninstall App: adb pm uninstall -k --user 0 <package_name>
    Customize Font Size: adb shell settings put system font_scale x.xx
    Example: Using ADB Commands To Sideload
    Tasker Debloat Task: My own self-made Tasker script to automate the ADB commands for uninstalling/disabling any app (including system app). I'm addicted to Tasker. If you don't know what Tasker is or how to use it, I recommend just running the commands manually for uninstalling system apps. Otherwise, use this: TaskerNet Import Task

OLD vs NEW
    The Best place to download various versions of ANY apk is ApkMirror. Some APK versions have multiple variants available. Only armeabi-v7a "Arch" types work on Galaxy Watches. The reason newer versions of apk's developed for mobile phones don't work is because most newer versions use armabi-v8a arch types for compatibility with newer models. However, Galaxy Watch 4 doesn't support v8a. For DPI, use nodpi for best results. Super old versions of an APK have a high likelihood of no longer working with any device due to outdated files, authentication, or security protocols. Test it on your phone first. Just bounce around the hundreds of available versions available for most major apps until you find one that works. Newer versions have more features (which may or may not work), but older versions have a more fluid and visible interface on watches. If you're trying to use an app that uses WebViews or Chrome Custom Tabs, it will crash on watches unless you install the chrome browser app I listed above which gives your watch the ability to use Chrome Custom Tabs.

DISCLAIMER
    I did not create or develop any of the application content within this thread, nor am I in association with any of the developers that did. There is absolutely no monetary compensation for myself regarding anything in this post. My intent was to create a free public library of available content for Galaxy Watch 4 because I knew it would be useful. Everything here has been tested by myself by searching high and low for the best apps I could find and testing each one extensively on my own GW4. I experimented with various versions of each apk to confirm the best compatibility. I'm simply putting together a library of what I confirmed works good enough to sideload. If you know any other apps that aren't included in this list, please share below!
    List of additional APKs that can be Sideloaded to your watch by Appfour developer (Extracted from the phone app version). These apps are wear apps but were removed from the wear side of the play store.

Wear Messages: Syncs to Default sms and Facebook messenger.

Wear Mail: Provides standalone or companion access to Gmail and various other emails. Full email functionality.

Calendar for Wear or Calendar W: 2 of them included. Both can link to Google or Samsung calendar account. I prefer Calendar W.

Wear Photos: Standalone or linked app that can view all the images from your phone.

Wear Video: Standalone or linked that can view all the videos from your phone.

Wear WiFi: Great Standalone Wi-Fi manager. (This app is available on both play stores, no need to sideload).

Those are all the appfour apps that I have installed that WORK. All the other ones don't work so I didn't include them like the YouTube or Document viewer.

I highly recommend the Email if nothing else.

Note: Wear Mail was too big to import at 7mb so I had to zip it first.

Also: I attached the old Facebook messenger addon that wear OS used to have installed. It can't open messenger directly but when you receive a messenger notification on your watch, there's an option to "open app" which will then open a messenger interface that is designed for wear OS with full functionality.
    I had to get an account for XDA because I could not go without thanking everyone here for making my galaxy watch 4 something I am satisfied with. I love the hardware of this watch, but the lack of some applications left some to be desired. I really appreciate you all!
    I have tried to install different versions of GO Assistant with no success. The 1.x versions do not even start (the loading circle remains). The 2.x versions start but then he doesn't "hear" me when I speak (even if from the interface it is listening and I obviously gave permission for the microphone).
    Which version have you installed successfully?
    For me it was 2.8
    Hey everyone, New Apps added to the initial post. I personally tested several versions of all apps and verified which ones work good/best. See OP. I'm excited to report that the YouTube Go works extremely well on GW4! We finally have a YouTube solution! Check OP for the versions that work though!!!

YouTube Go
    Instagram Lite
    Gallery Go (Google Photos Lite)
    Gmail Go
    Google Calendar