General Official List of Sideloaded Apps and Workarounds For Wear OS (Tested on Galaxy Watch)

Search This thread

Badr-vip111

Mar 1, 2023
السلام عليكم
ابي برنامج الدبوس لتغير الموقع

Mod translation:
Hello
Abi pin program to change the location

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger50

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Mod translation:
Hello

Greetings. As a friendly reminder, we ask all members to please post in English as stipulated by XDA Rule #4:

4. Use the English language.

We understand that with all the different nationalities, not everyone speaks English well, but please try. If you're really unable to post in English, use an online translator. You're free to include your original message in your own language, below the English translation. (This rule covers your posts, profile entries and signature). You could try :- https://translate.google.com/ or https://www.babelfish.com/ or use one of your choice.

Thank you for your cooperation, and have a pleasant day.

-Regards: Badger50

Reactions: puredp1

rossrosh007

Jul 25, 2012
Did it end up working?
Yea that suggestion worked... Without changing the Watch CSC.

Only thing is though .. my service provider won't enable my number to be shared between my phone and watch.

Also some apps don't work quite as they did out of the box. Like Health Monitor ECG is not supported in my region...

Benzened

Dec 10, 2013
Perth
Did it end up working?
I've followed these instructions too. But every hour or so it turns off the esim and says "the plans on your phone and watch need to be from the same service provider".
I have to go into the the wearable app secret menu, enable QR test feature and do the whole process again.

Does anyone else have this problem?

AlexMango12

Apr 1, 2023
London
When I try to log in to discord after installing it on my smartwatch, it isn't able to input the 2fa code. I've tried turning it off, but when turning it back on, it logs me out of my smartwatch. Anyone got any tips on how to bypass it?

When I try to log in to discord after installing it on my smartwatch, it isn't able to input the 2fa code. I've tried turning it off, but when turning it back on, it logs me out of my smartwatch. Anyone got any tips on how to bypass it?
WORKAROUND FOR DISCORD CAPTCHA
Verify the captcha on phone first by logging into discord on website or something. THEN you can log into discord on watch for a short period of time without having to verify through the captcha. MAKE SURE phone and watch are connected to same WiFi/Bluetooth connection when you do the captcha verification on phone and then connect through watch. I don't remember if it needs to be same WIFI network or just connected together through Bluetooth, but try both. After verifying the captcha on phone, it shouldn't ask for captcha again for a while no matter the device if they're using the same network.

This is verified.

Reactions: Dante63

mrfatiga22

Apr 16, 2015
Good day to all of you!

Is there any way to view photos from notifications of Facebook Messenger?
(i mean without opening/installing Messenger lite or similar app)

wy1d

Jul 17, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Any working Google Chat apps for Wear OS? I have a Galaxy Watch 5 Pro and this is the biggest thing in missing from Hangouts: being able to send short messages from my watch (without having to reply to a notification) and seeing previews of images on my watch instead of just "sent an image".

I have always used Hangouts for family (my kids, niece and nephews) and many of them don't have phones and can't use Messages or any of the other chat apps that require a phone number.

Any working Google Chat apps for Wear OS? I have a Galaxy Watch 5 Pro and this is the biggest thing in missing from Hangouts: being able to send short messages from my watch (without having to reply to a notification) and seeing previews of images on my watch instead of just "sent an image".

I have always used Hangouts for family (my kids, niece and nephews) and many of them don't have phones and can't use Messages or any of the other chat apps that require a phone number.
Have you tried side loading Google Chats to your watch? I believe one user did mention that Google Chat did work a while back. Just download the APK off apkmirror (must be compatible with v7a archetype) and tried side loading to your watch. If you're having issues, try downloading older versions. Usually older versions work better on watch faces.

Good day to all of you!

Is there any way to view photos from notifications of Facebook Messenger?
(i mean without opening/installing Messenger lite or similar app)
No, I don't believe so. You'd have to use a third party application capable of displaying images in the notification. Messenger (Wear OS) plugin that I posted does display images in the popup window launches from notification.

wy1d

Jul 17, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Have you tried side loading Google Chats to your watch? I believe one user did mention that Google Chat did work a while back. Just download the APK off apkmirror (must be compatible with v7a archetype) and tried side loading to your watch. If you're having issues, try downloading older versions. Usually older versions work better on watch faces.
So just load the regular Android phone APK directly to the watch? Or trying to find a Wear OS specific APK?

So just load the regular Android phone APK directly to the watch? Or trying to find a Wear OS specific APK?
So, Wear OS is like a slimmed down version of Android. Anything that can run on your phone, can be launched on watch as well IF it's compatible with arm-v7a arch. Most modern phones run v8, so modern apps are usually designed with this in mind, however apkmirror usually includes builds for all arch types. For the best compatibility, try side loading app versions from around 2020. Apkmirror includes all this..

The biggest hurdle is finding a version that looks good on round screens, older versions typically have less features which means less clutter. Crashing is another big hurdle.

Short answer: yes, just sideload phone APK to smart watch. Whenever you hear the word "sideload", that's exactly what you're doing. Try different versions to find one that doesn't crash and looks good on round screens. I usually start with a version from 2020, and then go more modern or older based on that.

Honestly though, for Google Chat, the most recent one you can find will probably work just fine for something so simple. Smart watches don't have a WebView either, something to keep in mind if it runs in a browser like a lot of Google apps do.

Reactions: wy1d
Hey, I want to express my immense gratitude for your work and help here. You have changed the whole smartwatch game with this thread.

However, as of lately messenger lite on my watch has stopped working. First it stopped showing my groupchat. So I uninstalled and reinstalled it. And since then it doesn't show anything anymore. Maybe this version of the apk stopped working? I would appreciate some help. Thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SIDELOAD LIBRARY
    COMPATIBLE WITH WEAR OS
    Special thanks to everyone for providing feedback on various apps and versions. Thanks to you guys, this thread has become a staple among the Wear OS community and I'll continue to update this thread as long as the information keeps rolling in. Please check OP or latest comments for answers before asking questions since I update this thread frequently. Thanks!
    Google Assistant GO v2.8 (ApkMirror)
    Google Assistant for Wear now available!

Google GO v1.7 (ApkMirror): Lightweight Google browser that can perform quick Google searches or display quick search result answers (such as weather or definitions). Tapping a link will launch in default browser app due to watches not having WebView support. Need to lower DPI temporarily after installing to get past initial language selection screen (see below for instructions on how to do this).

Google Chrome (XDA) (Google Drive): This version of Chrome is listed in the XDA Google Assistant for GW4 Mega-Thread. It works well Sideloaded but I'm not sure if it's just an older version or also modded to not crash on GW4.
    Samsung browser is also a good option for default browser. In case you need it, here it is from ApkMirror: Samsung Internet Browser (Wear OS)

Messenger Lite v25 (ApkMirror):
    June 2023 - Can no longer log in on the posted version. The higher versions do log in but you can't see the send button due to all the toolbar clutter. One user reports being able to send messages even though send button not visible by altering screen DPI, not willing to call it a workaround but See Here for that. Facebook Lite does offer a Messenger interface that is very good so that's really all we have right now in terms of Facebook Messenger. Will continue to track the status of this and post a working version if one becomes available. Any of the newer versions of Messenger Lite are able to login but not send messages.
    LINK Try out Messenger App (Not Lite) version on Galaxy watch. @puredp1 reports that it's working. I wonder if there's a better version available? Earlier versions might look better. Here's LINK to the version recommended by a user. Reports that it works amazing for voice messages.​
    NOTE: Recommend disabling notifications for Messenger Lite if you use native Messenger notifications from phone through Wear app. The option to disable notifications on Wear OS for specific applications is available under Developer Settings from Watch interface. Explained in further detail HERE.

Facebook Messenger (Wear OS) (ApkMirror): Small app that can't be launched directly. When you receive a Messenger notification on your phone, it'll show up on your watch if it's enabled in the Wear app notification settings. This app will add an option to those notifications received on watch when you tap it, "Open App", which will launch a minimal interface directly on watch for sending and receiving messages. This only works on notifications stated above and any standalone Messenger apps on watch or phone other than the main Messenger app should have its notifications disabled through app settings, system settings, and Wear app settings otherwise it'll override the Messenger notifications from phone.
    NOTE: for more information on this, see post reply HERE.​

Facebook Lite v39 (ApkMirror) *Built-In Messenger Interface*: Easy to use Facebook scrolling from your watch screen. Dark mode, data saver, and font size options available in settings. *This app also includes it's own Messenger interface built-in with all features available except sending voice messages.* The Messenger interface looks absolutely amazing and is my go-to option ever since the standalone Messenger app stopped working.
    NOTE: If you have issues getting past 2FA, try to login on watch and then go to your Facebook notifications on phone to approve unrecognized device. Next time you try to log in on watch it should skip the 2FA. MORE INFORMATION

Messenger (Full App) (ApkMirror): XDA user @puredp1 did some testing with same Messenger app that gets installed on android phones and found that it works on Galaxy Watch 5. He tried the latest version but I bet an earlier version will look better on watches. I don't have time for testing this sort of thing anymore but if somebody else does and finds a better version, I'll update the OP. For now, it's linked to the latest version as of July 2023. Messenger Lite is no longer an option on Galaxy Watches. Need to lower DPI to 350ish in order to send messages but works with voice messages and emojis without changing DPI.
    NOTE: Disable Messenger notifications from sideloaded applications on watch if you also use Messenger on linked Phone through Wear App. Notification permission can be disabled from Developer Settings in watch interface. More information available HERE.​

YouTube Go v1.22.54 (ApkMirror):
    YouTube Go has been discontinued by Google. Applications no longer work.

Google News v5.7 (ApkMirror): This is the best News option available in an area that is very limited to Smart Watches and It looks good. See below on how to access the settings within app.
    Enable Dark Mode and Data Saver: Starting at the home page from within the news app, tap the upper right corner as far as you can even if you can't see anything there. The menu can still be accessed if you get up in there far enough. Once the menu is open, you won't be able to see the settings text most likely, so you'll need to lower the DPI to about 200, and then click settings. This will give you access to dark mode, data saver, news notifications, and more. When finished, exit back to home page and reset your screen DPI before closing the app to avoid jank (commands below).
    Update 12/18/2022: Due to previous uploaded version now requiring update to use, v5.7 is now the ONLY VERSION left that doesn't crash or force mandatory update to use.​

Google Translator (Google Drive): This is the old Translator app that used to come installed on Google Wear OS watches.

Google Phone (Wear OS) (Google Drive)(ApkMirror): Google's own phone app used on other Wear OS watches isn't available to Galaxy Watches on the Play Store due to Samsung wanting us to use Samsung Phone I'd imagine. However, the app can be sideloaded and works perfectly. If you use Google Phone app on your phone then I suggest sideloading the app on your watch as well and setting it as your default phone app.
    Due to the Pixel Watch version of Google Phone lacking functionality on Galaxy Watches, I linked the older Google Phone app. Does all the same things with a different UI. If you're interested in the Pixel Watch version of Google Phone, you can find it in the link below.

Google Home v2.7.21.2 (ApkMirror): After extensive testing with various versions of the APK, I can confirm v2.7 is the best version currently for Galaxy Watches.
    Official Google Home app now available on Wear OS Play Store as a pre-install.
    UPDATE 12/11/2022: Currently, still only a preview version is out which doesn't include much functionality other than launching directly to phone. Not ready to write the workaround off yet.​

Google Files (ApkMirror): Excellent file manager for your watch that includes an app manager, automatic junk removal, and cache cleaning. You will have to lower your DPI to dismiss the initial dialog upon installing the app.

Google Calendar (ApkMirror): There are plenty of calendar apps available for Wear OS that include syncing with Google Calendar. However, if you want the real deal, it does work on Galaxy Watches with any of the recent versions. It crashes a few times when you first launch it, but then it seems to work fine. Dark mode available in settings manually.
    11/2023 UPDATE: Google Calendar is now available through Google Play Store for Galaxy Watches!​

Wear Mail (Watch) (Phone): Standalone or companion email client designed for Wear OS that's available on the mobile Play Store but not Wear OS Play Store. Excellent functionality and UI that is pretty much the only email client for Wear OS that supports direct Gmail account linking and access. It does all basic email functions including composing, reading, archiving, deleting, syncing, and sending of emails in standalone or companion mode directly from watch.
    NOTE: Must upgrade to premium version for full functionality due to Reports that application doesn't work at all in free mode anymore. All Wear applications were abandoned by Dev back in 2021. However, most still work. The only issue is 2FA being outdated with Google's security restrictions barring cloud account access.​

Other Wear Apps
    Google Cloud Access Disabled
    USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
    Wear Messages
    Wear Photos
    Wear Videos
    Wear Calendar

Wear Documents
    Spotify MOL (Google Drive): A modded Spotify Lite version. I've tried several modded Spotify apps and this is the best one I've found. It can play anything from your Spotify premium account directly from your watch as a standalone.
    Here's a link I found on XDA of a Spotify version modded and adapted specifically for Wear OS Click Here

GW4 Remap (Github): Button remapping for Galaxy Watches using Logcat. It can Remap both hardware keys to launch any application you want. There's a short delay between pressing and launching however. See link below for guide on using this. Despite the name, it does work on Galaxy Watch 5. Older version will launch over Samsung Pay (For bottom button) or Power Menu (Top Button) instead of using logcat for button press which is instant but requires Samsung Pay remain installed and enabled while top button is setup to launch power menu. For watches without Samsung Pay pre-installed, see below for alternative.
    INSTALL GUIDE
    Source: XDA / Github
    SPayToGPay (XDA / Github): If you live in a region that doesn't have Samsung Pay, use this version to launch Google Pay using hardware key long press.​
    Discord v89.11 (ApkMirror): Not the best UI for round screens due to Discord's side swiping layout. However, works pretty good and I was able to access all elements and features from my watch screen.
    NOTE: If you run into captcha or other login issues, check out the workaround HERE. To summarize, while your watch and phone are connected, log into Discord on the web to trigger captcha using phone. After verifying with phone, you should be able to log into Discord on watch without triggering a captcha verification.​

Instagram Lite v200+ (ApkMirror): Old versions crash. It doesn't look the greatest but it's fully functional. The problem is that the bottom status bar covers 20-25% of the display with white padding.

Custom Font Guide
    We can use zFont 3 just to convert font files to APK format. All other steps for Android phones such as Samsung Cloud backup/restore can be ignored.
    NOTE: Google Fonts is a giant open source option for custom fonts that can be downloaded in TTF or OTF format.​
    1. Download and install zFont 3 on phone HERE. We will only be using zFont to convert a TTF or OTF font file to an APK.
    2. Import your font file into zFont using their custom font wizard.
    3. Start at the step that has you uninstall Galaxy Store Font (ex. Samsung Sans) and install CustomFontName(zFont 3).apk, and STOP! You're done with the zFont application.
    4. (OPTIONAL) Use a third party application or ADB command (GUIDE) to extract the font.apk file to device storage to make it easier to locate.
    5. Sideload and install the .apk custom font directly to your watch through any method you prefer. GeminiMan for Wear OS (see below) can extract the APK, sideload, and install directly to your watch.
    6. Once sideloaded, on your watch navigate to Settings > Display > Font. Your custom font should now be listed under whichever alias you chose (ex. Samsung Sans).
    NOTE: To have multiple custom fonts installed at the same time, make sure you use different alias fonts, otherwise you'll get duplicate install errors.​

Sideload Ready Fonts
    Google Sans Regular - DOWNLOAD
    Google Sans Bold - DOWNLOAD
    Product Sans Black - DOWNLOAD
    • The Google Sans fonts are both listed under the alias CircleRounded, so you can only have one installed at a time.
    • Product Sans is installed under the alias SamsungSans.
    User Recommendations
    Google Voice
    Google Chat
    WhatsApp - GUIDE
    Alexa Assistant -
    HERE
    Google Calculator - HERE

Side Loading Applications
    • GeminiMan Wear OS Manager (Play Store): This is a feature rich and easy to use ADB app by @Dante63 for Wear OS exclusively. It's essentially an app that streamlines ADB related functions between your phone and smart watch. You can sideload or debloat any application by simply selecting it from a list of installed apps or APK files on your phone. Includes support for custom command execution with an option to save commands. Also can debloat and rebloat apps by simply choosing them from a list of installed or previously uninstalled system apps on your smart watch. This is my recommended choice for most users.
    NOTE: All features within this application are free but an option to subscribe or donate is available within the app to show gratitude and appreciation for the time and effort @Dante63 put into this and for his continued support.​
    Wear Installer 2 (Play Store): A simpler option for users, this app requires no experience or knowledge of ADB whatsoever. There isn't a command interface included for custom commands. However, it does include the ability to adjust the screen density (DPI) by simply inputting the number so that you can get past the initial setup for some sideloaded apps. Best option for people who aren't tech savvy.
    Bugjaeger (Play Store): This app isn't specific to Wear OS like the 2 above, but is an excellent wireless debugging application for Android devices. I'm including this here for users who are looking for more advanced features and control over their Android devices. Knowledge of ADB and Wireless Debugging is needed to use this app.

ADB COMMANDS
    Change Display Density (DPI)
    wm density xxx
    Display Display Density (DPI)
    wm density
    Reset Display Density (DPI)
    wm density reset

Disable Application
    pm disable-user <package_name>
    Enable Application
    pm enable <package_name>
    Uninstall Application
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 <package_name>
    Reinstall System Application
    pm install-existing <package_name>
    Change Font Size
    settings put system font_scale x.xx

APK Version Selection
    The best place to download various unmodified versions of any application is ApkMirror. Some APK versions have multiple variants available. Only architecture (Arch) "armeabi-v7a" is compatible with Galaxy Watches. If it's listed as "Universal" then the manifest includes support for all architectures but uses up more storage to compensate. The more modern "armabi-v8a" is NOT COMPATIBLE with Galaxy Watches and will crash if you try to launch it. Older application versions typically look and run better on smart watches due to less processing and background memory usage as well as interface clutter. Older versions were designed for v7a 32-bit arch before the 64-bit v8a ARM option became mainstream in Android phones (2019) and developers started including support for it in their apps, making older apps more compatible overall for Wear OS.
    DISCLAIMER: As the author of this post, I have no connection to any of the apps or developers listed. I'm just a Galaxy Watch enthusiast who tried to find the best apps and versions for my own watch. With all my testing, I decided to share my findings in this thread and continue to update it with the continued support of others. The smart watch space has been lacking in custom and third party options, so it's great to have a place people can come to share solutions that makes it more viable for everyone.

Last updated on 1/25/2024
    List of additional APKs that can be Sideloaded to your watch by Appfour developer (Extracted from the phone app version). These apps are wear apps but were removed from the wear side of the play store.

Wear Messages: Syncs to Default sms and Facebook messenger.

Wear Mail: Provides standalone or companion access to Gmail and various other emails. Full email functionality.

Calendar for Wear or Calendar W: 2 of them included. Both can link to Google or Samsung calendar account. I prefer Calendar W.

Wear Photos: Standalone or linked app that can view all the images from your phone.

Wear Video: Standalone or linked that can view all the videos from your phone.

Wear WiFi: Great Standalone Wi-Fi manager. (This app is available on both play stores, no need to sideload).

Those are all the appfour apps that I have installed that WORK. All the other ones don't work so I didn't include them like the YouTube or Document viewer.

I highly recommend the Email if nothing else.

Note: Wear Mail was too big to import at 7mb so I had to zip it first.

Also: I attached the old Facebook messenger addon that wear OS used to have installed. It can't open messenger directly but when you receive a messenger notification on your watch, there's an option to "open app" which will then open a messenger interface that is designed for wear OS with full functionality.
    I had to get an account for XDA because I could not go without thanking everyone here for making my galaxy watch 4 something I am satisfied with. I love the hardware of this watch, but the lack of some applications left some to be desired. I really appreciate you all!
    Excellent!! Your tools make GWs livable especially for those who do not have Samsung phones! Many thanks!
    Update is out 4.5.0, let me know what you think...
    I honestly did not expect this thread to become as big as it did. Thank you everyone for the kind words and it's comforting to know that the hours of work I put into this wasn't in vain.

If the file doesn't work then it's probably no longer compatible or similar. I will not be updating this thread with new files or new content unless it's really noteworthy. Please drop any compatibility tips in a comment for other users.

A lot of helpful material and FAQ in the comments of this thread. Please check comments before asking your question to reduce bloat.