[OFFICIAL] [NIGHTLIES] LineageOS 17.1

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
I am having an issue with the jactivelte build regarding WiFi - it does not activate upon initial start and later restart of the device after installing the latest 17.1 build. Similar has been reported before for 16.0 (I haven't tried the bypass - it is no solution - via GAPPS) but the ticket has been closed. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?
Odd enough, issue disappeared without any action but leaving it powered off for 10 days in the drawer due to lack of time to look further into it. Latest build installed only afterwards - downloaded via WiFi ...

moreorless

Jan 23, 2021
I have the same issue with the pink-black-screen outage and even the weird reboots

What I found out and I can reproduce it (not always but most of the the time) by going through the following steps:

1. at the homescreen swipe from down to up to get the list of app
2. then press the home button (middle hardware button)
3. Do these 2 steps round about 6-8 times! (swipe up and home button press)
4. press the power button short to put your phone on standby
5. then press the home button to wake it up
6. give your code (I use a pin code for screenlock)
7. after unlock do the procedure 1 and 2
=> it will go pink and black

Sometimes if you press the power button during this procedure or after this procedure the device "freezes" then it shows a black screen with 3 white bars and reboots.

Sometimes the pink-black-screen happens on steps 1 + 2 after doing it 6-8 times.

And most of the time it happens during typing - doesn't matter if SMS or messenger or just the searchbar of a browser or something else. It doesn't relly matter - it happens randomly.

But my reproduceable way is the way which I found to reproduce it most of the time thand finding out on which app and what task it happens.

It is sad that the developers are not able to find, reproduce and fix this annoying problem.
The ROM is very good as such. Sure it lacks a lot of nice features but at least it has the necessary features and is somehow solid - but this weird bug or should I say "feature" :D

And the very battery drain which got worse since somewhere October/November build - but sadly I can't remember exactly from which one this happened. I bought a brand new original Samsung but I still have to load it up every day.

May be I could help on investigating this issue with the screen problem.

Last edited:

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
screen blink pink and after that screen goes black. i have lock and unlocked my phone to bring screen back.
I have the same issue with the pink-black-screen outage and even the weird reboots

What I found out and I can reproduce it (not always but most of the the time) by going through the following steps:

1. at the homescreen swipe from down to up to get the list of app
2. then press the home button (middle hardware button)
3. Do these 2 steps round about 6-8 times! (swipe up and home button press)
4. press the power button short to put your phone on standby
5. then press the home button to wake it up
6. give your code (I use a pin code for screenlock)
7. after unlock do the procedure 1 and 2
=> it will go pink and black

Sometimes if you press the power button during this procedure or after this procedure the device "freezes" then it shows a black screen with 3 white bars and reboots.

Sometimes the pink-black-screen happens on steps 1 + 2 after doing it 6-8 times.

And most of the time it happens during typing - doesn't matter if SMS or messenger or just the searchbar of a browser or something else. It doesn't relly matter - it happens randomly.

But my reproduceable way is the way which I found to reproduce it most of the time thand finding out on which app and what task it happens.

It is sad that the developers are not able to find, reproduce and fix this annoying problem.
The ROM is very good as such. Sure it lacks a lot of nice features but at least it has the necessary features and is somehow solid - but this weird bug or should I say "feature" :D

And the very battery drain which got worse since somewhere October/November build - but sadly I can't remember exactly from which one this happened. I bought a brand new original Samsung but I still have to load it up every day.

May be I could help on investigating this issue with the screen problem.
I haven't observed the mentioned issues so far. I tried the procedure described by @moreorless both on S4 (GT-I9505) and S4 active (GT-I9295) with latest build (210121), no GAPPS, no Magisk or alike and no PIN/lock pattern (test devices) and could not reproduce. Which build are you using and which model? That could help the developers to narrow down.

moreorless

Jan 23, 2021
That's true! My bad.

I have an i9505 version with 16 GB
Lineage Version: 17.1.-20210121-NIGHTLY-jftlexx version
Build-Nummer: lineage_jftlexx-userdebug 10 QQ3A.200805.001 6b2bd6982c
Kernel-Version: 3.4.112-gfc1bc1f
Baseband: I9505XXUHPK2

Installed APPS are:
- AFWall+
- K9 Mail
- Magisk 20.4(20400)
- Googlemaps
- NewPipe
- Telegram

I have another S4 around. Could make a fresh install on that and try if I could reproduce it there too on a "naked" fresh installation.

On my main phone I am not able to get any information on the logs! Logcat is so useless imho.
I was looking at the logs and reproduced the issue but NO log entry :confused: as it is something mysterious.

I hope the other who are affected should also mention their installed apps etc. to get as many samples as possible for the DEVs. Hope it will help them to help us :)

2013Paco

May 20, 2013
Approx. since Xmas 2020 every updated version results occasionally in these two faults:
* Wifi watchdog triggered -> needs to restart
* SIM card not found -> needs to restart, too

My device is i9515 VE. Did everyone has same issues? Is there a workaround?
Thanx for help!!

moreorless

Jan 23, 2021
Pink-Black-Screen-Crash Topic:

OK guys I think I got good news for you. I could reproduce the issue on another S4 i9505 which is absolutely fresh installed. I spent the whole day on testing and I can now narrow it down almost exactly to the following:
- just activate developer mode (by pressing build number several times) and the adjust:
> deactivate game-driver settings
> the animation settings to "off"
- in the battery setting set the performance profile to efficiency (or lower)
- reboot!
- after system boot up and you're in the home screen press power button to go to standby
- let it for round about 5-10 minutes
- then unlock it
- just do fast the swipe up (to get the app list) and then home button (to go back to home screen)
- if you do it fast after 6-9 times it will occur!!!!
- if not lock the phone and repeat it

If you are successfull and the problem occurs ONCE then it will appear most of the times if you try it from now on.

What the hell is this kind of bug? :D

I deactivate the game driver setting and set the performance profile to low and deactivate animation in order to have a snappy system and preserver some battery juice.

I guess I did my best to help to identify this issue. Hope now the DEVs have some hints for investigation :)

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
I ... set the performance profile to low ... to .... preserver some battery juice.
to be checked !

give a dedicated task for a CPU to do.
1. with an CPU with limited frequency it needs longer to complete the task, that maybe means a longer time juice [at a low(er) level] is sucked.
2. with an CPU which is able to run at max. frequency the same task is completed in a shorter time, that maybe means lesser juice [at a high(er) level] is sucked.

which case really saves the most power ???

moreorless

Jan 23, 2021
to be checked !

give a dedicated task for a CPU to do.
1. with an CPU with limited frequency it needs longer to complete the task, that maybe means a longer time juice [at a low(er) level] is sucked.
2. with an CPU which is able to run at max. frequency the same task is completed in a shorter time, that maybe means lesser juice [at a high(er) level] is sucked.

which case really saves the most power ???
Sorry but for some odd reason my brain throws error logs on your argument :)

I think I should test your logic today whith my car. I will rev high and drive fast as I can and will report back if consumed less gasoil compared to reving low and driving slow for the exact same way.

And I should from now adjust my jogging style accordingly. Just sprint like Usain Bolt so that I have consumed less energy to the next 20km.

May be I am wrong but if something (enginge, cpu, body muscle etc.) has to go full burst it has to generate the power and generating max power equals to consuming a lot of power.

I am not an electrical expert or engineer to explain scientificly my point but my daily observation and daily life experience shows me something else compared to your point. May be your experience is something else and that is ok too.

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
Sorry but for some odd reason my brain throws error logs on your argument :)
care to load that error log's up :cool:

serious:
well, I was arguing with two extreme points to make it clear.
the question remains: what's more costly ?
a short run with high frequency versus a long run with low frequency both for an identical task.
And of course thinks all the points between both extremes.

btw I was mention the sense of an statement made moons ago by an kernel developer who is working at power polices of Intel CPU's. IIRIR (not sure) it was about turbo modes of Intel CPU and the whole (!) costs not power consumption only.
anyway, I guess that thoughts and measurements were the starting point to invent the power profiles "Efficiency" and "Balanced"

to sum up and regarding your statement in #587 "low" means neither "snappy" and nor necessarily "powersaving".
that's my point.

Last edited:

therob2

Jun 17, 2020
I also have random reboots once-twice a day (but just reboots after some secons of laggy UI, but without pink).
Are there any suggestions which settings should be checked/set for a workaround? Thus are there any SAFE settings to avoid/reduces random reboots or is it until now completely unclear by what it is triggered?

1) Above I read e.g. about the performance profile - are there any other "safe settings" I could try to improve situation until any change in ROM itself could be applied once narrowed down successfully?
Thanks for any hints!

I have an S4 GT-I9505 with 20210114-nightly and without Gaaps - and I think things get worse with an update in December (but don't know if this is true and when exactly - it's more a a feeling). Mostly reboots seem connected with any keyboard/typing-actions, but also after pressing "back" or "power" button it occurs - I could not find any real pattern.
4 other devices around in the family (I9505 and I9515) are running without any reboots.

2) And maybe here anybody knows: could it work (although not recommended I know) to dirty-flash 17.1-optimized over 17.1-nightly without loosing data/apps/settings? Maybe reboot-things are imrpoved there this way?

moreorless

Jan 23, 2021
@therob2
The issue is that most people install a rom and use it and if it has issue they just change the rom but don't help on make it better and help the DEVs. And to be hones - I was one of this kind of person too :)

But I changed my mind and I said to my self: "Why not give them a chance and help as good as you can and let's see if it's realy worth it and if not at least I tried"

So if more peope report back and state their issue and in a logical reproduceable way where the DEVs can go through it see what is going on - the ROM might get better!

I can confirm your issue because my phone reboots too by pressing the power button and most of the time pink-black-screen-crash occurs if I press the "recent apps" button or the "back" button or by typing in a app. But this was and is not easy reproduceable that I can say "do this and this and will occure" that's why I not dig deeper in it and didn't mention it in detail but I can confirm it fully!

As a workaround for the reboot I can just say: AVOID the powerbutton for putting the device in sleep and wakeup. Change to double-tapp the upper-taskbar and just the home-button for wakup. With this I am able to work with the phone without reboot. There is no other help or workaround as far as I checked.

therob2

Jun 17, 2020
@therob2
As a workaround for the reboot I can just say: AVOID the powerbutton for putting the device in sleep and wakeup. Change to double-tapp the upper-taskbar and just the home-button for wakup. With this I am able to work with the phone without reboot. There is no other help or workaround as far as I checked.
Thanks, will try.

So if more peope report back and state their issue and in a logical reproduceable way where the DEVs can go through it see what is going on - the ROM might get better!
I fully agree and normally also try helping to fix issues. But as this is the daily device of my mom and I have no physically access very often and she don't have the skills to help here much it is hard to make this here .... thas the sad situation....

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
2) And maybe here anybody knows: could it work (although not recommended I know) to dirty-flash 17.1-optimized over 17.1-nightly without loosing data/apps/settings? ...
maybe with an backup before ?
but be aware:
somewhere (here ?) I've read something about "restore doesn't not work (flawless)" if something goes wrong.

But I changed my mind and I said to my self: "Why not give them a chance and help as good as you can and let's see if it's realy worth it and if not at least I tried"

yup, I've changed my mind too.
But temporally the other way around, cause - for my taste - the maintainer is not very responsive (maybe to much involved with releasing 18.1 - don't know - ), so *I* temporally moved to unofficial 18.1 (clean flash), cause this ROM here became and stayed that long unusable.

my bug report is some sides back ... (comment #547)

Last edited:

xperanto

Jan 22, 2017
Could someone please tell me if he is capable of making VoLTE calls with jftexx?
...and tell me, if there is a switch in the networksettings?
To invoke networksettings simply dial
Code:
*#*#4636#*#*
in your dialpad.
Some carriers in my country think it`s a good idea, that every customer should ask for VoLTE individually, even if it is for free (depending on dataplan), so i can`t tell,if this is ROM-related or if the carrier didn`t activate it yet...

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Could someone please tell me if he is capable of making VoLTE calls with jftexx?
...and tell me, if there is a switch in the networksettings?
To invoke networksettings simply dial
Code:
*#*#4636#*#*
in your dialpad.
Some carriers in my country think it`s a good idea, that every customer should ask for VoLTE individually, even if it is for free (depending on dataplan), so i can`t tell,if this is ROM-related or if the carrier didn`t activate it yet...
There is no VoLTE for any Samsung phone in lineageOS.

vip5912

Jun 20, 2017
I had reboots regularly, almost every day: blocking, horizontal lines and rebooting.

I did the "correct" dirty update:
Code:
1. Make a full nandroid backup, just in case something goes wrong. You can use TWRP to do that. (TWRP > Backup > Select everything) [Optional]
2. Remove Magisk root with Magisk Uninstaller. (TWRP > Flash the uninstaller)
3. Reboot to TWRP and Wipe Dalvik / ART Cache, System and Cache.
4. Flash the ROM > GApps > Magisk Root Solution.
5. Reboot and Enjoy!
See:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/s4-unified-collection-guides.4224933/
Now I have 3 days without rebooting.
Code:
lineage 17.1 20210204
opengapps arm 10.0 pico 20210205
Magisk 21407 (canary)