[OFFICIAL] [NIGHTLIES] LineageOS 17.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Ph3ar.

Apr 16, 2016
While I can say the JFLTESPR pretty much works perfectly it does have one serious issue . There is a direct fault between data and location . In other words LTE mobile data is fine until you turn on location and use an app such as google maps. As soon as you do it knocks out LTE so then you can't use maps for directions as you have no data. Turn off location and data instantly works again. If someone such as @npjohnson or @arco68 is willing to take a look I'll log it for you. I think the issue goes back to a few months ago when the reboot problem and data was fixed a commit that fixed it or one that was taken out . It's been like this ever since that fix was applied . It's not a new problem .Location and data have a direct conflict . It's not just maps but any app that accesses location. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Frost

xperanto

Jan 22, 2017
There is no VoLTE for any Samsung phone in lineageOS.
I`m so sorry that I asked. Now that I have read more about the issue... bah who the **** implements such feature with multiple apis/confs and not just with a simple config.
And Samsung even implemented it proprietary...

Is there any way to check if arm-wb (dynamic from 6 to to 24kbps) is used for calls at least? I don`t mind that while calling it switches to a lower (e.g. gsm) band, but calling others sounds like "a call from the 80ties".

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
OnePlus 7T
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (jactivelte (GT-I9295)) "Recovery is not seandroid enforcing"

No actual question - rather for documentation if someone else runs into the same issue. Using TWRP as default recovery for all devices, I had with both 3.4.0 and 3.5.0 the issue that the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active was stating "Recovery is not seandroid enforcing" upon boot to recovery. Common recommendation is to check whether the latest firmware incl. baseband etc. is installed - yes, it is. Observed impact was that it was not possible to use the automated OTA update installation but I had to export them via the updater GUI within LineageOS and install them manually using TWRP. Tested the LineageOS recovery today and this one runs without the error message. To be seen whether automated OTA update installation script works - will update post then.

Update 26.02.2021: OTA update installation functioning without issues as well. As a side aspect, I am realizing also the really nice design of the LineageOS recovery - less technical details visible during OTA update flashing and factory reset than with TWRP but more comforting for non-technical users.

Last edited:
Reactions: pocketrule

simonegalfano

Sep 7, 2014
marsala
hai riscontrato problemi con le app Google? Uso quelli di agosto da molti mesi perché non completa la configurazione dell'assistente Google (voice match), mi da l'errore "problemi di connessione, riprova"

Zisshan Zens

Jul 30, 2015
So After using couple of lineage OS roms and some other custom roms, Always on Vpn and block Connection without vpn doesn't seem to work after some searching I found out that other lineage users have the same problem.

I have tried a few different apps that have similar kill switch functionality but same problem presists

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or is not significant enough but I felt like putting it here.

therob2

Jun 17, 2020
Is there any thread where we can follow/support/test the LOS18.1 for the S4 (for me: i9515) or does it not exist yet?
Is there any rough guess when it could go live (weeks or months?) - if there is already some work going on? Cheers, Robert

kurtn

Is there any thread where we can follow/support/test the LOS18.1 for the S4 (for me: i9515) or does it not exist yet?
Is there any rough guess when it could go live (weeks or months?) - if there is already some work going on? Cheers, Robert
S4 will be among the first batch oft devices when 18.1 is released. You can watch them work in review.lineageOS.org

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
And I am not sure if LOS18.1 will be really better if such issues like those I mentioned are not fixed till today ....

I was long suffering on the same issues and switched therefore to Optimized LOS 18.1 and the issues were gone.

IFAIK, Optimized LOS 18.1 and (what will be) official LOS 18.1 are nearly the same, so I guess the issues are also away.

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
OnePlus 7T
got an s4 today is this the best rom out there

From own experience and running several S4 on LineageOS 17.1 with and without OpenGAPPS Pico, I can say it works for me. Whether it is the best, I can't judge.

[...] this is truely not the best rom! The devs have not figure out the pink-black-screen issue and random reboots with black-bars-screen till now. [...]

Please don't get me wrong - I understand fully your frustration. But it seems also to be an issue limited to certain circumstances. I haven't experienced either - tried several of the pointed out options to reproduce and can't so far on I9505s. So, this lack of reproducibility might contribute to the situation?

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
OnePlus 7T
[...]
So if YOU are not able to reproduce it - there should be investigation what would be de difference between your device and installation and my devices (both!!!!) ?
[...]

Indeed good to look at the differences - which have been posted before:

I haven't observed the mentioned issues so far. I tried the procedure described by @moreorless both on S4 (GT-I9505) and S4 active (GT-I9295) with latest build (210121), no GAPPS, no Magisk or alike and no PIN/lock pattern (test devices) and could not reproduce. Which build are you using and which model? That could help the developers to narrow down.

Adding for the S4 (GT-I9505), baseband is I9505XXUHOJ2.

[...]
I have an i9505 version with 16 GB
Lineage Version: 17.1.-20210121-NIGHTLY-jftlexx version
Build-Nummer: lineage_jftlexx-userdebug 10 QQ3A.200805.001 6b2bd6982c
Kernel-Version: 3.4.112-gfc1bc1f
Baseband: I9505XXUHPK2

Installed APPS are:
- AFWall+
- K9 Mail
- Magisk 20.4(20400)
- Googlemaps
- NewPipe
- Telegram
[...]

Main difference I see is Magisk and GApps (assuming that you have them installed if using GoogleMaps) besides slightly different region/country version of baseband and the - now - more recent kernel etc. - have you tried on your devices without Magisk or GApps?

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
OnePlus 7T
As I said before. I have 2 S4! One is my daily driver which has magisk etc. installed and the other is without any additional apps! just fresh installed LOS and everything related is posted Jan 23, 2021 at 7:13 PM
[...]

Sorry, missed that part on testing it with fresh installed LOS in the mentioned post indeed. Thank you for pointing out. Strange and would mean also chances of a hardware defect causing it are extremely slim. Just to be sure, I tested your step-by-step instruction once again right now with a factory reset S4 active (I9252) with 210225 LOS 17.1 build (plain without anything, using 210218 LOS recovery) and can't reproduce still. Same as when trying before also with an S4 (I9505). Not drawing any conclusions - just sharing observation on an issue that I haven't run into so far at all and trying to help.

arco68

Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
The most sad fact is that the DEVs for all different variants of LOS are able to fix stupid issues and inplement great features and the MAIN DEVs of LOS are not able to do any of that :unsure: ... I don't know ... it doesn't add up for me.
You're aware that all other variants of Lineage are heavily based on the official one? Without the official Lineage and all the work we've put into it, both platform and kernel wise, they wouldn't even have half working roms. If they have some fixes that we misses, we do have an open gerrit were they can submit them for inclusion in official builds. Give back, and not just take I guess is what I'm trying to say. It benefits everyone.

Now, regarding the particular issue you're complaining about. I've spent countless hours and days looking into it, but just can't reproduce it here. If I could easily reproduce it, things would have been a lot easier to debug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Samsung Galaxy S4

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 17.1 thread for all Galaxy S4 variants.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.

If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party addons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • None.

You're also welcome to use my personal builds, but these are experimental, and likely to destroy your data. These builds include GApps, and Pixel-Goodies, among other things -- you'll find no support for these, so don't discuss them here.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [OFFICIAL] [NIGHTLIES] LineageOS 17.1, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S4

Contributors
    npjohnson, arco68, side
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Newest firmware available for your variant
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2020-04-01
    Last Updated 2020-04-15
    LineageOS servers hacked

As stated on their twitter-account https://twitter.com/LineageAndroid/status/1256821056100163584, LineageOS-servers were hacked on may 2nd.

Around 8PM PST on May 2nd, 2020 an attacker used a CVE in our saltstack master to gain access to our infrastructure.

We are able to verify that:
    - Signing keys are unaffected.
    - Builds are unaffected.
    - Source code is unaffected.

On https://status.lineageos.org/ you can check wether or when and which part of the infrastructure is back and online.
    Older builds are not affected and downloadable.

So please be patient and stay tuned, until the buildservers are re-set up checked. Safty first ;).
    Today's build won't allow gapps to be flashed due to an issue on the signing server, tomorrows will work fine.
    Nothing I could do to prevent the phone from running slow after installing this los 17.1 and I was cooking vegitables and mutton on my over heated phone. And battery was draining with the speed of Lamborghini...
    And finally the best decision was to install the optimised lineage Pie of team JDC.
    EXCELLENT BATTERY timing even more than stock rom's.

Smooth

Phone runs fast

Under control temperature of device

Best for daily driven

You do realize its bad etiquette to come into a developers thread and advertise someone else's rom , right ? For your information my s4 on this pie rom gets great battery life and runs fast and cool. This developer works hard to provide this rom so show a little respect and advertise somewhere else please.
    ... chances to see LOS18/Android 11 runnung on the S4 ... it is worth to have an refurbished S4 + LOS as a basic, low-price and eco-friendly smartphone also for a couple of years ...

As there's no LineageOS 18 atm, even no announcement for it, it will take for sure at least half a year until there - might be - a version for the galaxy s4. As Google is crippling each new version by implementing new "security" features, I'm not very eager to see a new LineageOS version as I have been in the past.

And as the main development for the device is done by 2 developers you can't demand they will port the new version, because - as you've stated correctly - to get the update running on that old device, many system and kernel tweaks are neccessary. That's quite a lot of work without proper appreciation (instead some user complaining something's not working or taking too long to implement).

But: Even if there won't be a LineageOS version 18 for the Galaxy S4, you'll get at least official updates for about 1,5 years as LineageOS provides regular updates for the current and the version next to last. So, you can expect an official LineageOS-Version as long as there's no official LineageOS 19. And even if the device is not supported anymore, you could continue to build the rom yourself, as the sources are updated even for outdated versions. There are build instructions e.g. for jfltexx which you can find here: https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/jfltexx/build

So if you try to push it to the limits, you could have an up to date LineageOS 17 for at least 3-4 years from now on. The key point is though: Do you really want to buy such an ancient device for daily use for the next years? I'm quite impressed by the current performance of it, but of course, you regularly recognize, that the galaxy s4 is a very old device now. For me, it's ok, I use it as daily driver and don't have ambitions to change soon, but especially 2 GB ram is almost a bit insufficient nowadays - even for non gaming purposes.