[OFFICIAL] [NIGHTLIES] LineageOS 17.1

Search This thread

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
Now, regarding the particular issue you're complaining about. I've spent countless hours and days looking into it, but just can't reproduce it here. If I could easily reproduce it, things would have been a lot easier to debug.

thanks for clarification and thanks for your work (over years, I need to mention).

it's the first time that *I* read that an involved developer is aware/working or was working on the issue.
I didn't really believe the issue was undergone, but no one really knew that, until now.

maybe former communication would have lowered the complains/frustrations.

some pages back you will find my bug report regarding that issue and also my offer helping to nail the bug down, but I got no response.

Okay, I said to myself - with an slightly feel of being ignored [1] - : the dev's might be overloaded releasing 18.1 ... -

anyway, I've tested @side's Optimized 18.1 for some days and it seems the issue doesn't exist there and so I'm confident it won't in your upcoming Official 18.1.

[1]
and here is the key where the harshness of warrantable complains starts to grow.

unable to reproduce the bug and unable to fix the bug are both the same frustration on different sides (dev, user).

Last edited:

arco68

Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
thanks for clarification and thanks for your work (over years, I need to mention).

it's the first time that *I* read that an involved developer is aware/working or was working on the issue.
I didn't really believe the issue was undergone, but no one really knew that, until now.

maybe former communication would have lowered the complains/frustrations.

some pages back you will find my bug report regarding that issue and also my offer helping to nail the bug down, but I got no response.

Okay, I said to myself - with an slightly feel of being ignored [1] - : the dev's might be overloaded releasing 18.1 ... -

anyway, I've tested @side's Optimized 18.1 for some days and it seems the issue doesn't exist there and so I'm confident it won't in your upcoming Official 18.1.

[1]
and here is the key where the harshness of warrantable complains starts to grow.

unable to reproduce the bug and unable to fix the bug are both the same frustration on different sides (dev, user).
I'm pretty sure I wrote about it somewhere, or maybe I just forgot to. I do read all bug reports though, and tries to the best of my abilities to reproduce and fix them. But yeah, for 17.1 and 18.1 there has been quite a lot of work involved with backporting features and support to the kernel, to even have a bootable and working rom. This is not an easy task and requries quite some work, but since I make this work public, it also benefits other similar devices with the same kernel version.

This particular issue I think is caused by some bug deep inside the Android source, and somehow it affects the s4 devices. I do have hopes that in 18.1 it won't happen.

therob2

Jun 17, 2020
Very very weird....I whish more people with this issue would try to help here with informations regarding their devices, configs and tests and how they can reproduce the issue.

I want to help to track this reboot-issue - here are details of my one affected device:
  • Model: Samsung Galaxy S4 / GT-I9505 / jfltexx / 16GB
  • Baseband-Version: I9505XXUHPK2
  • Kernel-Version: 3.4.112-g98a1e59 (2020-12-17)
  • Build-Number: lineage_jfltexx-userdebug 10 QQ3A.200805.001 3af21a1b2e
  • LOS-Version: 17.1-2020-12-17-NIGHTLY-jfltexx /TWRP 3.2.3-0
  • several reboots per week, sometimes several a day
    • sometimes only black screen which recovers after 5 min
    • sometimes complete reboot
    • mostly during/after typing something in SMS/Messages, but not always.
    • Not reproducable AFAI found
  • The suggested workaround "don't use the power button" reduced the reboot frequency to once every 2-3 days.
    Making several LOS-updates since August doesn't changed situation noteworthy
  • I don't use a PIN, just "swipe away". No root/magisk, no gapps or other add-ons during flashing etc. Pure LOS17.1. Using SIM-Card of Fonic with LTE activated. Developer settings activated. Battery setting profile = efficiency
  • Trying to reproducable trigger reboot by this how-to by @moreoreless was not successfull for me (tested with swipe to top and PIN). I did not changed any game-driver etc.
  • Becaue it was the daily driver of my mom several apps are installed (e.g. WhatsApp, Conversations, OSMAnd, F-Droid, Aurora-Store, Firefox Klar/Focus, OpenCamera (buggy), etc etc), and I did not tested as fresh installed.
I have one GT-I9505 (jfltexx) with reboot problems (see above) -- and four GT-I9515 (jfvelte) with similar settings/software and also LOS17.1-official which do NOT show reboot prolematic (or at least way less - maybe once a month). I now replaced I9505 with a I9515 as daily driver and hope the best with LOS17.1 (or 18.1 in some time). Will give I9505 with optimized-LOS18.1 a try and gave my best to give some more information before changing ROM with this post (and this less detailed before).

Cheers, Robert

Edit 1: After I gave my mum a GT-I9515 (with jfvelte 17.1) I have her "rebooting" GT-I9505 (with jfltexx/17.1) at my hands and did not encounter any reboot in playing around with it. Only hardware difference is: no SIM, no SD-Card. I of course used it now differently (instead of daily driver=messages, calls, WiFi/mobile Data I now just played in fligth mode and had no reboot/crash for 2 weeks grabbing sometimes a day and typing in editor)....although I tried hard to follow "wild tapping instructions in this thread" of @moreoreless.....not one reboot :-/ Will now test mit Wifi enabled .... strange. But anyway it is non reproduceable .... but it puzzles me.

Last edited:

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
I'm pretty sure I wrote about it somewhere, or maybe I just forgot to. I do read all bug reports though, and tries to the best of my abilities to reproduce and fix them. But yeah, for 17.1 and 18.1 there has been quite a lot of work involved with backporting features and support to the kernel, to even have a bootable and working rom. This is not an easy task and requries quite some work, but since I make this work public, it also benefits other similar devices with the same kernel version.

This particular issue I think is caused by some bug deep inside the Android source, and somehow it affects the s4 devices. I do have hopes that in 18.1 it won't happen.

I know you're an very active person, otherwise we wouldn't have an so old device with current OS.
Thanks again.

how could I give an donation without having an paypal account ?
I'm living in germany, so I guess an currency exchange is involved.
Having relations in US maybe there is a way.
Is USA your country ?

Regarding the bug:
I would suggest to let 17.1 die, best with an warning about the bug on the first page, and concentrate on 18.1, cause I guess after it's released no one will further run 17.1.
it will lower your workload.

IIRC, crash happens - additional to @moreorless finding - when I
- have tapped with the finger half on the bottom bar and half on the screen
- dito, half on the right device frame and half on the screen
- just slided the status bar down

all were not producable

Reactions: pocketrule

xperanto

Jan 22, 2017
May be that is a way. Not the best but if the DEVs would like to put more power and work on 18.1 why not? I guess then 18.1 might be really better than 17.1

But besides that:

I think I found a littlebit better way to provike the pink-black-screen issue and I know it might sound a bit weird at first but it works so far and I tried it many times and it works.

And you really think this "procedure" is a normal way to use your phone?
Of course by overloading your system with infinite inputs, especially with peformance settings to low, you can crash ANY system.
I`d suggest to set the performance up, use your phone in a normal way and see, if it occures again.

Beside your procedure, if you read other threads the pink screen mostly indicates a "slowly dying" hardware.

There are also so many other circumstances which can lead to such behavior.
e.g.
Do you really know, if your screens aren`t replacement screens ("original" or third party doesn`t matter) ?
Have they been "refurbished" ones?
did you buy them used and you don`t know their "curriculum vitae"?
Third party batteries which don`t meet the specifications?
I could go on and on...
Did you flash any experimental/unofficial or other custom ROMs beforehand? I had similar issues with the screen of an other handset of a different manufacturer, because a customrom changed values in nv-ram the official LOS didn`t even touch. Solution in my case on this specific device was to "pre-flash" an official rom and LOS was good again. Even if it`s anecdotic it shows there is more to that than your, sorry for the strong words, demanding arrogation.

Please always keep in mind: arco68 and the LOS team are doing all of this hard work for us all, for free, and google and the manufacturers have abandond your/our devices the moment we purchased them. with all the consequences their misbehaviour implies: be it artificial planned adolesence by software, security risks, enviromental damage due to their "throw old away, buy new mentality" and last but not least your purse.

So please, don`t be that demanding and keep down your huffy feelings. Be polite and at least thankfull in a constructive way e.g. at least post some logs...

Dear LOS-Team and @arco68,
thank you for the work you are donig. Without you, i wouldn`t even have/use a smartphone!

Reactions: cauch_y

moreorless

Jan 23, 2021
Of course by overloading your system with infinite inputs, especially with peformance settings to low, you can crash ANY system.

Of course not but I tried to find a method to provoke it in order to help the DEVs that may be they will find something in the logs which could give a hint. The issue occures just by normal usage and as I mentioned in my posts before which you obviously didn't read - that it will just happen if switch between apps (recent button) or just by typing or just a simple swipe-up of app menu. So it has nothing to do with overloading there is a bug in my opinion.

I`d suggest to set the performance up, use your phone in a normal way and see, if it occures again.

Beside your procedure, if you read other threads the pink screen mostly indicates a "slowly dying" hardware.

e.g.
Do you really know, if your screens aren`t replacement screens ("original" or third party doesn`t matter) ?
I could go on and on...
Did you flash any experimental/unofficial or other custom ROMs beforehand? I had similar issues with the screen of an other handset of a different manufacturer, because a customrom changed values in nv-ram the official LOS didn`t even touch. Solution in my case on this specific device was to "pre-flash" an official rom and LOS was good again. Even if it`s anecdotic it shows there is more to that than your, sorry for the strong words, demanding arrogation.

Please always keep in mind: arco68 and the LOS team are doing all of this hard work for us all, for free, and google and the manufacturers have abandond your/our devices the moment we purchased them. with all the consequences their misbehaviour implies: be it artificial planned adolesence by software, security risks, enviromental damage due to their "throw old away, buy new mentality" and last but not least your purse.

So please, don`t be that demanding and keep down your huffy feelings. Be polite and at least thankfull in a constructive way e.g. at least post some logs...

e.g.
I could go on and on...

And as I said before if there is way to find it out I would be glad to check it and as you followed the entire thread you know that I have 2 devices with the exact same issue which might be the rarest coincidence but not entirely impossible. There is a possibility.

Even if it`s anecdotic it shows there is more to that than your, sorry for the strong words, demanding arrogation.

Really? That is what you come up with? well I guess there is nothing that I want say to that point.

Absolutely true but who denied it? Who said something else? If I wouldn't be thankfull why would I waste my time and write here and give infos regarding an issue? I could easly ignore it and just use it and dump it like most users do and I think improvement comes when there is feedback! You can only get better if some tells you what you can do better. Software can get better if bugs are figured out etc. there is always room for improvement but is it desired? that is the question.

Huffy feelings? I don't know where you found that but I can say there was never huffy feelings toward anyone here. Not even towards you.

But you know what? NOW I fully understand why others not participate and you now what - as you mentioned huffy feelings: I will now creates just for this time huffy feelings and go out of this entire thread and will not participate in any kind anymore. bye

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
e.g.
I could go on and on...
Did you flash any experimental/unofficial or other custom ROMs beforehand? I had similar issues with the screen of an other handset of a different manufacturer, because a customrom changed values in nv-ram the official LOS didn`t even touch. ...
.... at least post some logs...

log is already there: comment #547

btw. my phone was completely new, bought 2013 in one german big electro market.
KNOX was untouched. Installed Stock was one release back.
the device only saw stock, CM (since 2013) and LOS, OPT-LOS.
always flashed according the ROM maintainers instruction
1st battery was exchanged ~Nov./Dec. 2020.
crash happend also with the new battery.

Last edited:

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
I want to help to track this reboot-issue - here are details of my one affected device:
  • Model: Samsung Galaxy S4 / GT-I9505 / jfltexx / 16GB
  • Baseband-Version: I9505XXUHPK2
  • Kernel-Version: 3.4.112-g98a1e59 (2020-12-17)
  • Build-Number: lineage_jfltexx-userdebug 10 QQ3A.200805.001 3af21a1b2e
  • LOS-Version: 17.1-2020-12-17-NIGHTLY-jfltexx /TWRP 3.2.3-0...

my varying parts:
baseband/BL: XXUHQK1
LOS: 17.1-20210211
Kernel: 3.4.112-g02796ea
recovery: TWRP-JDCTeam-3.3.1.0-build2

- EDIT -
setup the phone with last LOS 17.1 via clean flash under recovery
before install: wiped Dalvik, System, Cache, Data, Internal Storage
after install: left Dalvik as is
no gapps, just the pure LOS.

adjusted some setting (sound, display, dev. options,..., network)

last actions I did:
in "Network & internet" => Mobile network:
"Preferred network type" => 2G
"Data warning & limit":
- "Set data warning": ON
- "Data warning": GB => MB
- "Set data limit": ON
- "Data limit": GB => MB
back
"Data Saver": ON

suddenly the screen got unresponsive (no action while tapping on "<--- Network & internet") and ~5 seconds later the screen crashed (3 horizontal white bar's on an black screen (black/white alternating) for ~3 seconds) and then an reboot.

2. attempt.
again same setup.
without other adjustments the same Network settings as above.

no crash...

Last edited:

Mike_Zen

Mar 2, 2021
Good Day! Very Nice ROM and it's working fine. I have the SPH-L720 model and I seem to have lost my sound after flashing LOS 17.1. Is there any patch that can fix this?

I have another question, what magisk is best to root this device? Thank you! Have a nice day!

simonegalfano

Sep 7, 2014
marsala
have I encountered any problems with the Googleapps Nano? I have been using those of August for many months because with the updated ones the configuration of the Google assistant (voice match) does not complete, it gives me the error "connection problems, try again" which Google app do you use?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    can I install edxposed in this room?
    Can someone give me information
    please don't quote the OP, I have no clue, and can't support XPosed due to the fact it changes system behavior.
    Do you know if is it possible to flash LOS recovery through Odin-3.14.4 or lower?

I'm not very habituated to use ADB commands [emoji28]

Enviado desde mi SM-G9730 mediante Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

I answer myself... it's not possible because Odin needs "recovery.img.tar" to flash correctly.
    So waiting to a build that works with TWRP

Enviado desde mi SM-G9730 mediante Tapatalk
    Old man now I am the one who will get you out of doubt. I have a recovery compatible with all the s4 that is installed by odin, I will leave it in the description, but I will also teach you how to convert the recovery.img that are only installed behind a recovery; for you to install it from Odin. The name of the program is: (Tar tool). Okay

Steps:

1) download Tar tool

2) the recovery that you have TWRP whatever, you will rename it to: recovery.img

3) now the recovery.img already renamed, it will move it into all the program files (tar tool)

4) already moved, it will touch the tar tool file called: imgToTar.MD5 and it will automatically create a recovery.tar ready to be flash by odin.

A copy of the original recovery will also be created called: recovery.back

To get it back to how it was, just rename it (back) to .img, it will look like recovery.img.

Ready I hope it works for you
    lineage-os-logo.png

Samsung Galaxy S4

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 17.1 thread for all Galaxy S4 variants.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.

If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party addons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • None.

You're also welcome to use my personal builds, but these are experimental, and likely to destroy your data. These builds include GApps, and Pixel-Goodies, among other things -- you'll find no support for these, so don't discuss them here.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [OFFICIAL] [NIGHTLIES] LineageOS 17.1, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S4

Contributors
    npjohnson, arco68, side
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Newest firmware available for your variant
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2020-04-01
    Last Updated 2020-04-15
    LineageOS servers hacked

No more builds?
    As stated on their twitter-account https://twitter.com/LineageAndroid/status/1256821056100163584, LineageOS-servers were hacked on may 2nd.

Around 8PM PST on May 2nd, 2020 an attacker used a CVE in our saltstack master to gain access to our infrastructure.

We are able to verify that:
    - Signing keys are unaffected.
    - Builds are unaffected.
    - Source code is unaffected.

On https://status.lineageos.org/ you can check wether or when and which part of the infrastructure is back and online.
    Older builds are not affected and downloadable.

So please be patient and stay tuned, until the buildservers are re-set up checked. Safty first ;).
    Today's build won't allow gapps to be flashed due to an issue on the signing server, tomorrows will work fine.
    Nothing I could do to prevent the phone from running slow after installing this los 17.1 and I was cooking vegitables and mutton on my over heated phone. And battery was draining with the speed of Lamborghini...
    And finally the best decision was to install the optimised lineage Pie of team JDC.
    EXCELLENT BATTERY timing even more than stock rom's.

Smooth

Phone runs fast

Under control temperature of device

Best for daily driven

You do realize its bad etiquette to come into a developers thread and advertise someone else's rom , right ? For your information my s4 on this pie rom gets great battery life and runs fast and cool. This developer works hard to provide this rom so show a little respect and advertise somewhere else please.
    ... chances to see LOS18/Android 11 runnung on the S4 ... it is worth to have an refurbished S4 + LOS as a basic, low-price and eco-friendly smartphone also for a couple of years ...

As there's no LineageOS 18 atm, even no announcement for it, it will take for sure at least half a year until there - might be - a version for the galaxy s4. As Google is crippling each new version by implementing new "security" features, I'm not very eager to see a new LineageOS version as I have been in the past.

And as the main development for the device is done by 2 developers you can't demand they will port the new version, because - as you've stated correctly - to get the update running on that old device, many system and kernel tweaks are neccessary. That's quite a lot of work without proper appreciation (instead some user complaining something's not working or taking too long to implement).

But: Even if there won't be a LineageOS version 18 for the Galaxy S4, you'll get at least official updates for about 1,5 years as LineageOS provides regular updates for the current and the version next to last. So, you can expect an official LineageOS-Version as long as there's no official LineageOS 19. And even if the device is not supported anymore, you could continue to build the rom yourself, as the sources are updated even for outdated versions. There are build instructions e.g. for jfltexx which you can find here: https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/jfltexx/build

So if you try to push it to the limits, you could have an up to date LineageOS 17 for at least 3-4 years from now on. The key point is though: Do you really want to buy such an ancient device for daily use for the next years? I'm quite impressed by the current performance of it, but of course, you regularly recognize, that the galaxy s4 is a very old device now. For me, it's ok, I use it as daily driver and don't have ambitions to change soon, but especially 2 GB ram is almost a bit insufficient nowadays - even for non gaming purposes.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone