Recognized Developer
lineage-os-logo.png

Samsung Galaxy S4

Code:
- Your warranty is now void.
- You have been warned.
- Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
This is the Official Lineage OS 17.1 thread for all Galaxy S4 variants.

Downloads:
Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.

If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party addons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
  • None.

You're also welcome to use my personal builds, but these are experimental, and likely to destroy your data. These builds include GApps, and Pixel-Goodies, among other things -- you'll find no support for these, so don't discuss them here.

XDA:DevDB Information
[OFFICIAL] [NIGHTLIES] LineageOS 17.1, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S4

Contributors
npjohnson, arco68, side
Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 10
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
ROM Firmware Required: Newest firmware available for your variant
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2020-04-01
Last Updated 2020-04-15

Gitanitos

Jan 30, 2013
Valladolid
Samsung Galaxy S10
First at all, THANKS for your work and time.
For me it had been impossible to flash the last firmware.
I tried a clean install and also a dirty one only to test...
I used the last TWRP for S4 (I9505).
I finally restored the backup I've done before.
20200401_221554.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G9730 mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: joam280

joam280

Nov 7, 2010
Malaga
First at all, THANKS for your work and time.
For me it had been impossible to flash the last firmware.
I tried a clean install and also a dirty one only to test...
I used the last TWRP for S4 (I9505).
I finally restored the backup I've done before.
View attachment 4983885

if i have the same error on my galaxy s4 i9505

Enviado desde mi Nexus 9 mediante Tapatalk

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
also from my side a BIG THANKS to the dev's and all the others !

for those who fight with installation:
I did it on an 9505 via sideload command following this instruction
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/jfltexx/install
see "Installing LineageOS from recovery"

and under JDCTeam Recovery from here:
https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/i9505-orig-develop/jdcteam-optimized-lineageos17-0-v1-0-t4020687
see "TWRP"

I guess it should do with the recommanded official recovery too (alas it lacks a backup function):
https://download.lineageos.org/jfltexx

P.S.
ping @npjohnson
your link to your "personal builds" is (currently) dead

Last edited:

dibbie666

Jul 6, 2016
try to instal on i9515 but gets stuck on boot or gets pinkscreen. But stil thanks for keeping de device alive cheers

Reactions: NewIdenty

Gitanitos

Jan 30, 2013
Valladolid
Samsung Galaxy S10
also from my side a BIG THANKS to the dev's and all the others !

for those who fight with installation:
I did it on an 9505 via sideload command following this instruction
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/jfltexx/install
see "Installing LineageOS from recovery"

and under JDCTeam Recovery from here:
https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/i9505-orig-develop/jdcteam-optimized-lineageos17-0-v1-0-t4020687
see "TWRP"

I guess it should do with the recommanded official recovery too (alas it lacks a backup function):
https://download.lineageos.org/jfltexx

P.S.
ping @npjohnson
your link to your "personal builds" is (currently) dead
Do you know if is it possible to flash LOS recovery through Odin-3.14.4 or lower?

I'm not very habituated to use ADB commands [emoji28]

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Do you know if is it possible to flash LOS recovery through Odin-3.14.4 or lower?

I'm not very habituated to use ADB commands [emoji28]

I answer myself... it's not possible because Odin needs "recovery.img.tar" to flash correctly.
So waiting to a build that works with TWRP

Reactions: johnmaster

joam280

Nov 7, 2010
Malaga
can someone make a video with the instructions? thanks

Enviado desde mi SM-M205FN mediante Tapatalk

joam280

Nov 7, 2010
Malaga
they removed the rom, it's not available For i9505 [emoji848]

Enviado desde mi SM-G973F mediante Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Instruction for what? Why not do the step as mentioned in wiki?
Ok I'll try [emoji106]

Enviado desde mi SM-G973F mediante Tapatalk

rw_on_xda

Jun 24, 2013
Berlin
I answer myself... it's not possible because Odin needs "recovery.img.tar" to flash correctly.
So waiting to a build that works with TWRP....

If would have followed the links I provided you would have learned that you might install the JDCTeam Recovery through your current TWRP recovery.
JDCTeam Recovery is just a patched version of TWRP (to my understanding patched regarding settings), see:

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/i9505-orig-develop/jdcteam-twrp-3-3-0-0-custom-builds-t3925619
=>
cit.:
"...
How to install:
From your recovery -> Install -> install image -> select the .img -> Press home -> Reboot -> Recovery
..."

in JDCTeam Recovery you'll find the button "Advanced" and there "ADB Sideload"

I guess this is also present in the TWRP recovery.
- I couldn't prove it, cause I'm on JDC -

If you are there, "adb sideload <our-shiny-new-17.1-ROM-here>" or the heimdall commands aren't that rocket science ...

P.S.
the JDCTeam Recovery download link leads to a *.tar file and that contains a "recovery.img" !

Hrmph ... :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Gitanitos

Gitanitos

Jan 30, 2013
Valladolid
Samsung Galaxy S10
If would have followed the links I provided you would have learned that you might install the JDCTeam Recovery through your current TWRP recovery.
JDCTeam Recovery is just a patched version of TWRP (to my understanding patched regarding settings), see:

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/i9505-orig-develop/jdcteam-twrp-3-3-0-0-custom-builds-t3925619
=>
cit.:
"...
How to install:
From your recovery -> Install -> install image -> select the .img -> Press home -> Reboot -> Recovery
..."

in JDCTeam Recovery you'll find the button "Advanced" and there "ADB Sideload"

I guess this is also present in the TWRP recovery.
- I couldn't prove it, cause I'm on JDC -

If you are there, "adb sideload <our-shiny-new-17.1-ROM-here>" or the heimdall commands aren't that rocket science ...

P.S.
the JDCTeam Recovery download link leads to a *.tar file and that contains a "recovery.img" !

Hrmph ... :p
Hi @rw_on_xda I'm agree with your comments... I didn't followed the links because I downloaded directly from Lineage web. Also I always had the habit to use the TWRP process since LOS14 (on my Galaxy S4 and S5).
This evening after work I'll flash the recovery image then the rest.

Thanks again for your work.

3miel

Mar 21, 2012
For i9505 there is missing version 17 to download from official site download.lineageos.org/jfltexx
Each others version from post #1 got nighty version 17 what happens ? I9505 is so popular but without build of v17, strange. Got other build from other topic: JDCTeam got some optimized lineageOS17.1 v.3.0 ( android 10 )

Gitanitos

Jan 30, 2013
Valladolid
Samsung Galaxy S10
I had finally flashed succesfully the rom but....
Since the previous post (same error with JDCTeam Recovery), I flashed again the LOS Recovery and flashed again the firm. With this recovery I succesfully flashed the firm but NOT the OpenGapps "nano", having a new error.
Ok...then I flashed again JDCTeam recovery and again LOS17 firm + OpenGapps succesfully.
I restarted (very fast...) and the start up has been correct. The only issue is that I don't have or see the Play Store or google aplication inside my phone...strange.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Samsung Galaxy S4

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 17.1 thread for all Galaxy S4 variants.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.

If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party addons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • None.

You're also welcome to use my personal builds, but these are experimental, and likely to destroy your data. These builds include GApps, and Pixel-Goodies, among other things -- you'll find no support for these, so don't discuss them here.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [OFFICIAL] [NIGHTLIES] LineageOS 17.1, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S4

Contributors
    npjohnson, arco68, side
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Newest firmware available for your variant
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2020-04-01
    Last Updated 2020-04-15
    LineageOS servers hacked

As stated on their twitter-account https://twitter.com/LineageAndroid/status/1256821056100163584, LineageOS-servers were hacked on may 2nd.

Around 8PM PST on May 2nd, 2020 an attacker used a CVE in our saltstack master to gain access to our infrastructure.

We are able to verify that:
    - Signing keys are unaffected.
    - Builds are unaffected.
    - Source code is unaffected.

On https://status.lineageos.org/ you can check wether or when and which part of the infrastructure is back and online.
    Older builds are not affected and downloadable.

So please be patient and stay tuned, until the buildservers are re-set up checked. Safty first ;).
    Today's build won't allow gapps to be flashed due to an issue on the signing server, tomorrows will work fine.
    Nothing I could do to prevent the phone from running slow after installing this los 17.1 and I was cooking vegitables and mutton on my over heated phone. And battery was draining with the speed of Lamborghini...
    And finally the best decision was to install the optimised lineage Pie of team JDC.
    EXCELLENT BATTERY timing even more than stock rom's.

Smooth

Phone runs fast

Under control temperature of device

Best for daily driven

You do realize its bad etiquette to come into a developers thread and advertise someone else's rom , right ? For your information my s4 on this pie rom gets great battery life and runs fast and cool. This developer works hard to provide this rom so show a little respect and advertise somewhere else please.
    ... chances to see LOS18/Android 11 runnung on the S4 ... it is worth to have an refurbished S4 + LOS as a basic, low-price and eco-friendly smartphone also for a couple of years ...

As there's no LineageOS 18 atm, even no announcement for it, it will take for sure at least half a year until there - might be - a version for the galaxy s4. As Google is crippling each new version by implementing new "security" features, I'm not very eager to see a new LineageOS version as I have been in the past.

And as the main development for the device is done by 2 developers you can't demand they will port the new version, because - as you've stated correctly - to get the update running on that old device, many system and kernel tweaks are neccessary. That's quite a lot of work without proper appreciation (instead some user complaining something's not working or taking too long to implement).

But: Even if there won't be a LineageOS version 18 for the Galaxy S4, you'll get at least official updates for about 1,5 years as LineageOS provides regular updates for the current and the version next to last. So, you can expect an official LineageOS-Version as long as there's no official LineageOS 19. And even if the device is not supported anymore, you could continue to build the rom yourself, as the sources are updated even for outdated versions. There are build instructions e.g. for jfltexx which you can find here: https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/jfltexx/build

So if you try to push it to the limits, you could have an up to date LineageOS 17 for at least 3-4 years from now on. The key point is though: Do you really want to buy such an ancient device for daily use for the next years? I'm quite impressed by the current performance of it, but of course, you regularly recognize, that the galaxy s4 is a very old device now. For me, it's ok, I use it as daily driver and don't have ambitions to change soon, but especially 2 GB ram is almost a bit insufficient nowadays - even for non gaming purposes.