Official Nokia 8 Bootloader Unlock Method from HMD Global

Search This thread

HarpingOn

Oct 20, 2010
Google Play Services is not available

I was on 9 on my TA-1012

I downgraded to 8.1 following the guide posted here, this was successful (I think it was - the "About" screen tells me I'm on 8.1)

When I run the HMD Bootloader Unlock app, I can enter an email and confirm the warranty screen, then it says

Code:
Error messages

GooglePlayServices is not available on this device.    OK

I've installed a few things from the play store, so that works.

What is this referring to please, and what do I do to fix it so I can continue with the unlock?

Thanks

Edit: I upgraded play services through play store, and got my unlock key, the next problem is below ....

Last edited:

HarpingOn

Oct 20, 2010
fastboot hangs "waiting for any device"

trying to flash my unlock key:

Code:
C:\adb\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
NBxxxxxxxxxxxx        device

C:\adb\platform-tools>adb reboot bootloader
(devices boots to Download mode)

C:\adb\platform-tools>fastboot flash unlock unlock.key
< waiting for any device >

It never gets past waiting for any device when using fastboot flash :(

I've tried using vol-down key to boot to download mode, instead of "reboot bootloader", and it does not help. I illustrated the use of 'adb reboot' to show that the USB connection / tools are installed and appear to be working.

I've got platform-tools r29.0.1 for windows installed.

seems like this is hitting a bump in the road for me at every stage, lol

Any ideas, please?

Edit: solved. Abandoned attempts with Windows, and used fastboot on Linux, worked first time and would have saved much messing around.

Last edited:

volkantekcan

Aug 24, 2007
enable OEM UNLOCKING in developer options! please add this in the top
How to Allow Developer Options in NOKIA 8 - OEM Unlock |HardReset.info
watch the youtube video

Delvinci

Nov 18, 2019
Re: Unlock bootloader for nokia 8

You must also update your phone to the latest September 2018 update.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Done unlocking, flashed twrp and rooting.

Followed all the steps but List of devices attached is empty in download mode. Am on November 2018 update. Could this be the problem??

JinbrianZ

Aug 18, 2013
CEBU
is anyone could share me ur unlock key s/n and imei. so i could unlock my bootloader using nb1 collision for nokia 6. pm me thanks.

Last edited:

mjihadislami

Oct 2, 2013
Cibitung
XDA News:https://www.xda-developers.com/nokia-8-bootloader-unlock/

Link to Official Method https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/bootloader

You must register an account within HMD website, then download the bootloaderunlocker.apk and get an validation code. Then put the phone in download mode by shutting it down and pressing volume down and connecting it to the computer. Use the fastboot binary to run
Code:
fastboot flash unlock unlock.key
and
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
and
Code:
fastboot reboot
then its done!

Please be aware that when you unlock it, all of your data will be erased, so make a full backup before unlocking!

Note about voided warranty: https://www.piana.eu/root/

i try those but doesnt work as on NOST, still not in critical
solved by trying
Code:
fastboot flash unlock_critical unlock.key
and
Code:
fastboot oem unlock_critical

KostasDgr

Jun 16, 2018
Drama
Does it still works May 2020

Does it still work because few weeks ago rumors said that the servers where not responding. I also tried and it was saying to check my internet connection.

F. J.

Jun 13, 2020
It unlocked my Bootloader

Hello. Thank you for the post. I managed to get my UBL by carefully following the step. Well, Im here to show that by today, this method is still working. I have a story to tell, just in case people need to know how I unlocked my UBL. I bought this phone and it has Pie. Like most people, I cannot even install UBL app from nokia. The Oem unlocking was also grey. After doing some searchign around, I figured out that I need to downgrade my OS version ( I followed another thread). After that, I acesss Nokia UBL site and followed the step like registering an email and inputing my imei. Right after I submited what the webpage ask me for, I got an email with my UBL key. I dont remember doing it in the bootloader unlocker app.
Anyway, this is just a small post to let people know that by today, I got my UBL key and I managed to unlock my bootloader.:D

hawwin88

Oct 18, 2017
Hello. Thank you for the post. I managed to get my UBL by carefully following the step. Well, Im here to show that by today, this method is still working. I have a story to tell, just in case people need to know how I unlocked my UBL. I bought this phone and it has Pie. Like most people, I cannot even install UBL app from nokia. The Oem unlocking was also grey. After doing some searchign around, I figured out that I need to downgrade my OS version ( I followed another thread). After that, I acesss Nokia UBL site and followed the step like registering an email and inputing my imei. Right after I submited what the webpage ask me for, I got an email with my UBL key. I dont remember doing it in the bootloader unlocker app.
Anyway, this is just a small post to let people know that by today, I got my UBL key and I managed to unlock my bootloader.:D

Nice info brother, and can u tell us? Any special method to flash unlock.key ? Or you are success flash with this thread method ?

Sep 24, 2017
When i Go to Download Mode and write command 'fastboot flash unlock unlock.key' and it says 'Waiting for devices'
Can someone help?
Im in Android 9

Top Liked Posts