Official O2UK I9000 JM1 Firmware update now available via Kies

Search This thread
This morning Kies was telling me my device could not be updated, but I happened to check this evening and a new notification appeared saying that the JM1 update mentioned in a previous thread was now available - I was on the stock O2UK JF1.

Having installed the update, the GPS button in the pull down task bar is a new thing plus the new Samsung task manager, although these have been mentioned in the other thread already. The task amanger shows how much RAM you've used out of 326MB, but early signs are that it's no more efficient in freeing up RAM than was the situation on the JF1 ROM I had previously. Still I'll see how things go tomorrow. Having said that, the task manager widget is quite nice.

The Samsung App store also seems to be working now, as it kept giving me error messages on the old ROM. There's a 70MB full and free version of Asphalt on there which I'll download tomorrow. Another definite improvement is the music player, which previously couldn't handle the 1000+ artists in my digital audio collection. In fact it used to force itself to close when I pressed 'Artists' before. Now it's listing all the artists and grouping all albums/tunes for each artist correctly.

Apart from that I haven't noticed anything else so far, although the phone's reception might be a bit better, but I can't confirm that yet.

hi are you on O2 contract?
Yeah, I'm on a full 24 month contract with O2UK, and I bought the phone directly from them.

As an update to what I said at the start of this thread, I now realise I had test mode activated when I used Kies to update my phone, so this may not have been an 'official' O2UK update after all. It seems test mode doesn't turn off when you close Kies: CTRL+U+P is in fact an on/off toggle for test mode. Nonetheless, the JM1 update I got has all the O2 stuff I had before and settings, so I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's on an O2UK contract with an older stock ROM as it's better for all the reasons I mentioned previously.

I've also noticed that the new stock task manager in the Kies JM1 update doesn't seem to allow the phone's RAM to drop below approx 50MB (or 275MB/326MB). On my previous stock JF1, Advance Task Killer often showed that free RAM had got down to approx 30MB on some occasions, which was when things really started getting noticeably laggy. Now when I leave open 10+ applications, the RAM used won't go beyond 275MB/326MB, which suggests the system is closing background application/services automatically at around this mark to maintain performance. I might be wrong on this, but so far I haven't seen the same lag issues I had before with black screens lasting 5 seconds or more, but others might need to confirm that

The only thing I don't quite understand is what the coloured green/yellow bar is for in the new Program Monitor widget, although the active applications count in this widget is really useful.

endisforever

Oct 8, 2009
i just upgraded to this jm1 from stock jf1 i had to also do it in test mode as it wouldnt allow me to update otherwise

i have since used gps test and it locked on to sats much quicker and also more of them this was also done whilst indoors

so i dont if this update helps gps.

i dont know how to full test the gps but if someone gives me a how to i will post the results.

so you all to decifer

but it seems better to me with this update.

padlad

Jan 23, 2005
i just upgraded to this jm1 from stock jf1 i had to also do it in test mode as it wouldnt allow me to update otherwise.

Same here, mine came up with the "this phone cannot be updated" crap. I'm still going to install the lag fix though, it made a huge difference with the jf1 firmware.