I downloaded the latest build (20200530) and did a clean flash (as clean as possible: formatted data, cache, dalvik and system), put the images as well as gapps on SD card and flashed from TWRP (first ROM then gapps without rebooting). The reboot after flash is showing the MI logo for a few seconds then the device reboots and enters eventually recovery again. BTW, the same is true if I go for another ROM (like crdroid v6.6, while 6.5 works fine)
Any hints how to debug this? There is not much running so far to pull log files - or is it somewhere (thinking of a boot log or log file from boot loader) I've heard about different HW versions of the device - is that true and yes where is the actual difference?
I did it in a few steps.
1. Format data. Wipe system, vendor, and caches. Install lineage and boot.
2. Set pin for data encryption.
3. Back into twrp using pin to decrypt data.
4. Wipe data (not format) and caches.
5. Install gapps. I used stock. Reboot.
6. Setup Google.
I haven't installed magisk yet.