[OFFICIAL][RECOVERY][12/13]OrangeFox Recovery Project [R11.1]

Search This thread

Trakost

Feb 19, 2013
Hi, I just tried to update my OF recovery from v11 to v.11.1_2 stable. Unfortunately, now my data are encrypted and I can't do anything in recovery, because I can't mount storage (luckily I can normally boot and use my phone). Is there any way to fix this problem without formatting data?

edit: I have miui.eu 12.5, android 10

DenisCZ

Mar 2, 2018
Hi, I just tried to update my OF recovery from v11 to v.11.1_2 stable. Unfortunately, now my data are encrypted and I can't do anything in recovery, because I can't mount storage (luckily I can normally boot and use my phone). Is there any way to fix this problem without formatting data?

edit: I have miui.eu 12.5, android 10
Read the Change Logs and Build Notes...

No support for FDE decryption: must only be used with Android 11 or higher; do NOT use with MIUI, or any Android 9/10 ROM

- This release must only be used with Android 11 or higher; do NOT use with MIUI, or any Android 9/10 ROM

Trakost

Feb 19, 2013
Thanks! I flashed via adb the old v11.1 again and now everything works! I disabled lockscreen protection before flashing, I don't know if it matters or not

Marcyvee

Oct 9, 2015
I dirty flashed the update of awaken OS. Now I'm stuck in a boot loop into recovery (11.1.3). I tried to restore the backup of boot and system partition but nothing has changed. Any suggestion?
Ps. I had to remove the pattern even with this last release to take a backup and flash the update.

DenisCZ

Mar 2, 2018
I dirty flashed the update of awaken OS. Now I'm stuck in a boot loop into recovery (11.1.3). I tried to restore the backup of boot and system partition but nothing has changed. Any suggestion?
Ps. I had to remove the pattern even with this last release to take a backup and flash the update.
Update to latest AwakenOS needs Clean Flash...
("Clean Flash is Mandatory")
========
13-07-2022 - Soon
========

Source Changelog:

||- New features

• Bring back drawables for statusbar icon toggles
• Gmscompat upstream
• Introduced GameSpace & nuked google game dashboard
• Introduced our own wallpapers in styles and wallpapers
• Introduced Oppo Sans & HarmonyOS Sans fonts
• Introduced P404 Volume Panel
• Updated APN from LineageOS
• Update themed icons

||- Fixed issues

• Fixed bluetooth crash with battery widget
• Fixed issue with linked notification volume
• Fixed QS mobile icon disappearing on theme switch
• Fixed suspicious spaces around mobile icons
• Fixed some NPE

Device Changelog:

• DT Clean UP;
• Add OpenGL ES and Vulkan dEQP feature flags
• Modify Vulkan and OpenGL version to 2020-03-01
• init: Drop no longer necessary libbase include dir
• sepolicy: address surfaceflinger denials
• Build all extra VNDK versions
• sepolicy: Allow system server to getpgid zygote
• overlay: Use CarrierConfig CSP boolean
• Disable debug.sf.recomputecrop
• Delete /data/system/package_cache after updates
• sepolicy: Address iorap denials
• Don't warn user about FC in Google TTS
• Disable Chimera.GmsIntentOperationService
• Enable HWUI_COMPILE_FOR_PERF
• prop: Disable SDM Scalar
• overlay: Enable UI touch haptic feedback by default
• overlay: Disable bluetooth by default
• overlay: Set the automatic brightness mode off by default
• overlay: Disable UI touch sounds by default
• Disable ART debug
• wifi: Disable TDLS offchannel
• prop: Disable ahardware buffer
• rootdir: Get back to default from long-standing VM tweaks
• Drop unused msm_irqbalance_sdm630.conf files
• powerhint: Tune powerhint
• Tune dalvik heapminfree for devices with 3gb ram
• powerhint: Correct some audio hints
• rootdir: Force use lz4 for zram compression
• Kill IMS logspam with fire
• prop: Enable usage of dex2oat64
• Configure cpusets for dex2oat
• Switch to full dexpreopt
• prop: Use threaded GLES render engine
• sepolicy: Dontaudit untrusted_app to open ashmem_device
• prop: Fix display animation while AOD on/off screen
• Drop useless camera packages
• powerhint: Remove schedboost in powerhint.json
• Add kpti=off to boot command line
• BoardConfig: set 'TARGET_COMPILE_WITH_MSM_KERNEL' to true
• overlay: ignore RSSNR signal level
• Enable blur related's
• gps: Update GPS config for S
• overlay: Unpin updatable-media from memory
• prop: Enable Video Distribution Profile (VDP) on IMS
• Drop deprecated overlay

Notes:

• Clean Flash Mandatory
• Use recommended recovery (Orangefox Beta R12.1)
• This is User/Enforcing release build
• Included Nexus EAS-CAF QTI kernel
• Found any bug? Report it with a proper logcat

And read this...
Creating and Restoring backups

Backing up and restoring can be very problematic if not done properly. Since you will be relying on the backups, this needs to be done with great care. So, I am devoting a separate post to this topic.

Here, I will explain what works for me (your mileage may vary). But, first of all, read this: https://twrp.me/faq/whattobackup.html (and note especially the recommendations concerning "system" versus "system_image", and "vendor" versus "vendor_image").

1. In my opinion, only your data partition (and perhaps the internal storage) should be backed up via a Recovery. While this may seem a bit unusual, you really should always keep a copy of your full ROM's zip installer.

By keeping a copy of your ROM's zip installer, restoring the ROM would be a simple matter of formatting data, clean-flashing the ROM, booting up the newly flashed ROM (to make sure that it actually boots, and to let it encrypt the storage in its own way), and then rebooting to recovery mode. This would give you a working device, and a fresh copy of the boot, system, and vendor partitions. Then you only need restore the backed up data (and internal storage), and you have your system again.

2. For full backups in recovery mode (if you must), the safest option would normally consist of:
  • Boot
  • Data
  • System_Image
  • Vendor_image
  • Internal storage
3. Do not rely entirely on a nandroid (ie, Recovery) backup of your internal storage (ie, your user data, photos, etc). It is wise to have copies in the cloud, and/or on your PC.

4. Do not rely entirely on a nandroid (ie, Recovery) backup of your data partition. It is wise to let your ROM backup your settings and apps data to the cloud (eg, google drive), or use an app to do the same. This provides a second line of defence. The reason for this advice is the dreaded "extractTarFork() error 255" which can sometimes (and randomly) occur when backing up, or (more devastatingly) when restoring a /data partition backup. Nandroid backups of the /data partition are potentially unreliable, and that is just the way it is. You might also want to read this.

5. Always take a backup of your user data (to an external storage device or the cloud) every time you want to flash something (anything - ROM, recovery, mods, OTA updates, or whatever else). Particularly, with a device like lavender (with very flaky encryption), flashing or updating anything at all can potentially lead to your needing to format your data partition to get rid of broken encryption (this is especially the case with regard to moving from any ROM to any other ROM). Ignore this advice at your own peril.

6. Creating backups of encrypted data is fraught with risks. If you want to backup the data partition of an encrypted device, you would be very well advised to first delete the lockscreen password/pin in the ROM before booting to recovery to create the backup. If you don't do this, you must accept the invitation to delete the ROM password (also available in the OrangeFox add ons menu) immediately after restoring the backup. Note - with lavender, if you have any of those new Android 10 custom ROMs that use FBE, you will have to work out for yourself what works for you ...

7. Do not try to restore a backed-up data partition from one ROM to another ROM.

8. Do not try to restore a backup of an encrypted device to a device that is not encrypted, or to a device that is encrypted with a different encryption protocol.

9. Watch this space for more stuff to be added in the future.
For example, you forgot to make a backup:
Data
System_Image (not System)
Vendor_image
Internal storage

So if you don't mind losing data, just do Clean Flash...
If you don't want to lose your data, try waiting for a reply from DarthJabba9...

Reactions: Marcyvee

DarthJabba9

Recognized Developer
May 5, 2014
Greater London
As has already been said, a dirty flash won't cut it. You need to follow the instructions of your ROM's dev to the letter, and the instructions say that you should format data (ie, a clean flash).

Restoring a backup of system will not solve the problem, because it is an encryption problem. Encryption problems are solved by formatting the data partition.

Marcyvee

Oct 9, 2015
Actually, I solved with a factory reset and a clean flash. Then, I flash Magisk and restore data partition, and now it seems everything works fine...
I haven't read the instruction for awaken os... Thanks guys.

DarthJabba9

Recognized Developer
May 5, 2014
Greater London
OrangeFox R11.1_3_2_A12 Beta released

I have released OrangeFox 11.1_3_2_A12 Beta.

Changes:
* Update for Android 13 decryption
* Update to the latest upstream commits

NOTES:
* This is an Android 12 (and higher) only release. Do NOT use with Android 11 or earlier
* Make a FULL backup of your data and internal storage BEFORE flashing this release
* After restoring backups that include encrypted data, and booting to Android, you should reboot the ROM once or twice, using the power button, even if all you see is a blank screen
* This is beta software. Treat it as such
* Report problems in the "OrangeFox Recovery Beta testing" chat on Telegram. You should make a FULL report, and you MUST include the recovery log

Downloads:
OrangeFox download site: https://orangefox.download/device/lavender

FAQ and Guides: https://wiki.orangefox.tech/en/guides

Donations:
Support the OrangeFox Project by donating at our OpenCollective page.

AlobarN

Aug 8, 2011

Changes:

NOTES:
* This is an Android 12 (and higher) only release. Do NOT use with Android 11 or earlier
* Make a FULL backup of your data and internal storage BEFORE flashing this release
* After restoring backups that include encrypted data, and booting to Android, you should reboot the ROM once or twice, using the power button, even if all you see is a blank screen
* Report problems in the "OrangeFox Recovery Beta testing" chat on Telegram. You should make a FULL report, and you MUST include the recovery log

Downloads:

Donations:
Just installed. Fixed an issue I had with previous build that zip files were not imminently recognised as flashable and I had to choose the action from the "open as" menu.
Now it works as expected. I'm just waiting for the first A13 ROM now... thank you very much for the update!

oyabun324

Sep 28, 2019

Changes:

NOTES:

Downloads:

Donations:
is there any bug or something if im already use android 12 but haven't update my orangefox to this?

AlobarN

Aug 8, 2011
Hi. I'm on latest beta and want to change recovery to TWRP for testing purposes but when I click on the new zip, I don't get the recovery partition option. I only get:

boot
cust(image)
dtbo
firmware image
keymaster
persist

What should I choose to flash TWRP recovery?

DarthJabba9

Recognized Developer
May 5, 2014
Greater London
Hi. I'm on latest beta and want to change recovery to TWRP for testing purposes but when I click on the new zip, I don't get the recovery partition option. I only get:

boot
cust(image)
dtbo
firmware image
keymaster
persist

What should I choose to flash TWRP recovery?
Edit: there is a scroll bar - scroll down, and you will see the recovery partition.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    View attachment 5706737
    Would a format data solve this "Unable to mount data/media/Fox/ .foxs"?
    No. The release notes are very clear as to why: "This is an Android 12 (and higher) only release. Do NOT use with Android 11 or earlier".
    OrangeFox R11.1 _3 Stable released

I have released OrangeFox R11.1_3 Stable (A12).

Changelog:
    * Support Android 12 and Android 13 encryption only
    * Update the Magisk addon to v25.2
    * New 4.4 kernel
    * Remove obsolete addons
    * Lots of other enhancements

NOTES:
    * This is an Android 12 (and higher) release. Do NOT use with Android 11 or earlier.
    * Make a FULL backup of your data and internal storage BEFORE flashing.
    * After restoring backups that include encrypted data, and booting to Android, you should reboot the ROM once or twice, using the power button.

Downloads:

Donations:
    hello, i am currently on miui 12.5 global (orangefox r11.1 stable) can i flash custom roms with android 12+ or do i need to update my orangefox?
    For Android 12 decryption support, you need to upgrade to an A12 beta.
    OrangeFox Recovery Project
    logo.jpg
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We're not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */
    OrangeFox is FREE SOFTWARE

Downloads:

Notes:
    Read very carefully the contents of post #2 below.

INSTALLATION:
    0. Backup your ROM, your data, your internal storage, and your settings/apps, to an external device
    1. Download the OrangeFox zip file to your device
    2. Reboot to your custom TWRP-based Recovery
    3. Install the OrangeFox zip file as a normal zip
    4. The device will automatically reboot into OrangeFox recovery after installation (allow this to happen)
    5. Enjoy!

Guides; Frequently Asked Questions; Installation; Troubleshooting; Sundry Information:
    * See https://wiki.orangefox.tech/en/guides

Credits
    * TeamWin - for TWRP
    * The OrangeFox Team - for your hard work
    * All our testers - for your patience and help

FEATURES:
    * Built-in support for installing Magisk
    * AromaFM
    * Flashlight
    * Password, torch, led
    * Superb new UI and themes
    * OrangeFox theme engine:
    - choice of theme (black, dark, etc)
    - choice of color scheme
    - choice of splash screen
    * Alternative lockscreen
    * And many more!

Other useful information - see below

XDA:DevDB Information
    OrangeFox Recovery Project, Tool/Utility for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7

Contributors
    DarthJabba9, MrYacha
    Source Code: https://gitlab.com/OrangeFox

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: R11.1_3_A12
    Stable Release Date: 2022-09-18

Created 2019-06-21
    Last Updated 2022-09-19
    OrangeFox R11.1_3_A12 Stable released

Downloads:

Changelog
    * Support for Android 12 and Android 13 decryption only
    * New kernel
    * Update the Magisk addon to v25.2
    * Remove obsolete addons
    * Lots of other enhancements

Notes:
    * This is an Android 12 (and higher) release. Do NOT use with Android 11 or earlier
    * Make a FULL backup of your data and internal storage BEFORE flashing.
    * After restoring backups that include encrypted data, and booting to Android, you should reboot the ROM once or twice, using the power button

------------------:
    Our channel - https://t.me/OrangeFoxChat
    Download - https://orangefox.download/device/lavender
    The OrangeFox App - App Downloads | App Discussions
    ------------------:
    Creating and Restoring backups

Backing up and restoring can be very problematic if not done properly. Since you will be relying on the backups, this needs to be done with great care. So, I am devoting a separate post to this topic.

Here, I will explain what works for me (your mileage may vary). But, first of all, read this: https://twrp.me/faq/whattobackup.html (and note especially the recommendations concerning "system" versus "system_image", and "vendor" versus "vendor_image").

1. In my opinion, only your data partition (and perhaps the internal storage) should be backed up via a Recovery. While this may seem a bit unusual, you really should always keep a copy of your full ROM's zip installer.

By keeping a copy of your ROM's zip installer, restoring the ROM would be a simple matter of formatting data, clean-flashing the ROM, booting up the newly flashed ROM (to make sure that it actually boots, and to let it encrypt the storage in its own way), and then rebooting to recovery mode. This would give you a working device, and a fresh copy of the boot, system, and vendor partitions. Then you only need restore the backed up data (and internal storage), and you have your system again.

2. For full backups in recovery mode (if you must), the safest option would normally consist of:
    • Boot
    • Data
    • System_Image
    • Vendor_image
    • Internal storage
    3. Do not rely entirely on a nandroid (ie, Recovery) backup of your internal storage (ie, your user data, photos, etc). It is wise to have copies in the cloud, and/or on your PC.

4. Do not rely entirely on a nandroid (ie, Recovery) backup of your data partition. It is wise to let your ROM backup your settings and apps data to the cloud (eg, google drive), or use an app to do the same. This provides a second line of defence. The reason for this advice is the dreaded "extractTarFork() error 255" which can sometimes (and randomly) occur when backing up, or (more devastatingly) when restoring a /data partition backup. Nandroid backups of the /data partition are potentially unreliable, and that is just the way it is. You might also want to read this.

5. Always take a backup of your user data (to an external storage device or the cloud) every time you want to flash something (anything - ROM, recovery, mods, OTA updates, or whatever else). Particularly, with a device like lavender (with very flaky encryption), flashing or updating anything at all can potentially lead to your needing to format your data partition to get rid of broken encryption (this is especially the case with regard to moving from any ROM to any other ROM). Ignore this advice at your own peril.

6. Creating backups of encrypted data is fraught with risks. If you want to backup the data partition of an encrypted device, you would be very well advised to first delete the lockscreen password/pin in the ROM before booting to recovery to create the backup. If you don't do this, you must accept the invitation to delete the ROM password (also available in the OrangeFox add ons menu) immediately after restoring the backup. Note - with lavender, if you have any of those new Android 10 custom ROMs that use FBE, you will have to work out for yourself what works for you ...

7. Do not try to restore a backed-up data partition from one ROM to another ROM.

8. Do not try to restore a backup of an encrypted device to a device that is not encrypted, or to a device that is encrypted with a different encryption protocol.

9. Watch this space for more stuff to be added in the future.
    OrangeFox R10.0_2 released

I have released OrangeFox R10.0_2 Stable (OrangeFox-R10.0_2-Stable-lavender.zip)

Changes: Supports Android 10 encryption (tested on Pixel Experience)

Downloads:
    1. OrangeFox download site: https://files.orangefox.website/OrangeFox-Stable/lavender/
    2. SourceForge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/orangefox/files/lavender/
    OrangeFox R10.1_3 Stable released

I have released OrangeFox R10.1_3 Stable.

Downloads:
    OrangeFox download site: https://files.orangefox.tech/OrangeFox-Stable/lavender/
    Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/orangefox/files/lavender/

Changelog (General for R10.1): https://wiki.orangefox.tech/en/changelog#orangefox-r101

Device-specific changes:
    - New kernel
    - Several optimisations and fixes
    - Release date: 05 June 2020