• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL][RECOVERY][ginkgo/willow] OrangeFox Recovery Project

Search This thread

loopypalm

Jul 8, 2016
Osaka
Hello everyone,

is it mandatory to have installed twrp first before the first flash of orangefox on a ginkgo?

I don't get installed orangefox persistent.

On my ginkgo I have already:

1) unlocked bootloader (successfully)
2) booted ginkgo via Power+VolumenUp in recovery mode
3) then flashed orangefox via fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (with success confirmation on screen)
4) then holding power-off and after starting VolumeUp+Power to get instantly into recovery instead android-gui
5) Orangefox showed up > sliding for performing changes
6) then rebooted into android-gui
7) then rebooted into recovery and realized, that orangefox is gone > instead of orangefox there is the xiaomi-recovery

So how do I make sure that orangefox will get installed persistent?
you forget "vbmeta"
flash it first using
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
you can find it in any A10 rom
then flash the recovery

Reactions: pnin

Jerri1240

Oct 27, 2015
Need some help if possible, I used orangefox a few weeks ago to flash pixel experience to my Xiaomi Note 8T, All fine, no issues at all.

Downloaded a few more roms to try as don't really enjoy pixel. So tried to boot into orange fox the same way I did before, turn off, hold volume up and power. But I just get stuck in a loop of the orange fox logo.

Can't even boot into pixel experience now, it's either fast boot or a loop of orange fox logo.

How do I get my phone up and running again?

loopypalm

Jul 8, 2016
Osaka
Need some help if possible, I used orangefox a few weeks ago to flash pixel experience to my Xiaomi Note 8T, All fine, no issues at all.

Downloaded a few more roms to try as don't really enjoy pixel. So tried to boot into orange fox the same way I did before, turn off, hold volume up and power. But I just get stuck in a loop of the orange fox logo.

Can't even boot into pixel experience now, it's either fast boot or a loop of orange fox logo.

How do I get my phone up and running again?
A11 encryption problem
and t's still not fixed in latest Ofox (i think)
reflash vbmeta and the recovery using fastboot
boot to recovery and flash DFE

mzcl-mn

--NEW--
Beta
R11.1_1

* Now supports encryption on all MIUI
Notes:
* Doesn't support Android 11's metadata encryption for now. It will stuck at OrangeFox's splash image

Hello, @Teguhpunya .

Thank you for your work.

Since Android 11 (forcefully, c.f.: Look here at AOSP doc site) implements metadata encryption, is it fair to conclude that this Beta Orange Fox recovery of yours R11.1_1 should not be installed if one is to flash/use an Android 11 ROM on Redmi Note 8T (Willow), for instance?

Thank you beforehand and my apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere).

🌞

mzcl-mn

Hello, @Teguhpunya .

Thank you for your work.

Since Android 11 (forcefully, c.f.: Look here at AOSP doc site) implements metadata encryption, is it fair to conclude that this Beta Orange Fox recovery of yours R11.1_1 should not be installed if one is to flash/use an Android 11 ROM on Redmi Note 8T (Willow), for instance?

Thank you beforehand and my apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere).

🌞
Answering my own "lazy bones" question 😂😛, next time, I should take a look at the whole thread. Particularly the latest posts.

Please, disregard my previous post.

Cheers.

TheCrowX

Feb 11, 2014
hi everyone i updated my RN8 to A11 and now can t root my phone i tried all the recoveries including this one but with same message unable de decrypt fbe
i even formatted data still nothing
directories have alphanumeric names
can anyone help me please

bomberb17

Aug 6, 2013
Redmi Note 10
hi everyone i updated my RN8 to A11 and now can t root my phone i tried all the recoveries including this one but with same message unable de decrypt fbe
i even formatted data still nothing
directories have alphanumeric names
can anyone help me please

I have the same problem when updating to A11 with stock ROM V12.0.2.0.RCOMIXM.
Latest version of OF.
In Settings->OTA&ROM -> Patch ROM -> Disable DM-Verity, Disable Forced Encryption and Aggresive stock recovery deactivation all enabled.
I flash the stock recovery rom, I get a message at beginning "Error making /sdcard/Fox directory: Required key not available"
Flashing completes.
Reboots normally.
Then I go to recovery again, install magisk23.zip, and it gets stuck on "MIUI" icon, then bootloops into recovery again with alphanumeric directory names.
All I can do is to flash the rom again, but seems that root breaks everything.
Any ideas?

loopypalm

Jul 8, 2016
Osaka
Thanks, but I would prefer a more conservative solution without formatting data and having to setup my phone and all my apps from scratch.
you can't
your only option is make a recovery bkp of data and try to restore app data using titanium backup (restore from nandroid)
or copy app data manually to the correct folders

bomberb17

Aug 6, 2013
Redmi Note 10
you can't
your only option is make a recovery bkp of data and try to restore app data using titanium backup (restore from nandroid)
or copy app data manually to the correct folders
By "bkp" you mean backup the data partition using twrp/OF recovery? Then restore it after I wipe data? Wouldn't that get me to the same problem?

(I know about titanium backup but there are apps like banking apps etc. which somehow do not work after restoring with titanium)

loopypalm

Jul 8, 2016
Osaka
By "bkp" you mean backup the data partition using twrp/OF recovery?
yes

Wouldn't that get me to the same problem?
yes, but i didn't say restore it
i said use the option to restore from a nandroid or copy app data manually from the backup to your actual data (recovery bkp can be opened with 7z)

(I know about titanium backup but there are apps like banking apps etc. which somehow do not work after restoring with titanium)
are you aware that you have no other choice ? right ?

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy A6
Redmi Note 8
By "bkp" you mean backup the data partition using twrp/OF recovery? Then restore it after I wipe data? Wouldn't that get me to the same problem?

Since I had some issues with titanium backup in A11 I recommend to have also a backup with Migrate (NG). Don't forget to move the files to your ext. SD-card before formatting data and to move it then back to the internal memory for trying to restore the apps etc.

bomberb17

Aug 6, 2013
Redmi Note 10
are you aware that you have no other choice ? right ?

Ok I guess I will have to take this pill then. But why did this happened? Is this because of upgrading from A10->A11?
Will I get the same issue when Xiaomi rolls out the next update? (hope not because formatting data and restoring all apps is hugely painful and time consuming).

Since I had some issues with titanium backup in A11 I recommend to have also a backup with Migrate (NG). Don't forget to move the files to your ext. SD-card before formatting data and to move it then back to the internal memory for trying to restore the apps etc.
Thanks for the info!

ru_ttb

May 30, 2013
I'm using CrDroid official A11. Recovery suddenly stop asking password and lose access to /data and storage. Is it possible to restore access without losing data?

Top Liked Posts

I'm under Resurection Remix and I'm planning to change my OS because RR is abandoned.

-the rom is fluid/perfect and has literally everything
    -updates were already minimal and android is a really secure OS so you don't really need security updates ...

for Rom makers that is their thing to play with new sources and stuff everytime a new android released ...
    but i'm not gonna switch just because the majority of people did for 3 reasons :
    1-A11 and A12 are resource hungry (worst performance and bad battery life)
    2-updates on A11 and A12 are not gonne benefit me in any way (in fact no rom until now have features like RROS so i'm gonna lose things ...)
    3-what if people are idiots ?
    My question is... ¿Orange Fox Recovery suports android 12 roms like "Arrow OS"?
    nowdays rom makers release pre decrypted roms to prevent recovery problems
    if not flash DFE and format data
    hopefully OFox devs will fix this ...
    I'm under Resurection Remix and I'm planning to change my OS because RR is abandoned.

-the rom is fluid/perfect and has literally everything
    -updates were already minimal and android is a really secure OS so you don't really need security updates ...

for Rom makers that is their thing to play with new sources and stuff everytime a new android released ...
    but i'm not gonna switch just because the majority of people did for 3 reasons :
    1-A11 and A12 are resource hungry (worst performance and bad battery life)
    2-updates on A11 and A12 are not gonne benefit me in any way (in fact no rom until now have features like RROS so i'm gonna lose things ...)
    3-what if people are idiots ?
    My question is... ¿Orange Fox Recovery suports android 12 roms like "Arrow OS"?
    nowdays rom makers release pre decrypted roms to prevent recovery problems
    if not flash DFE and format data
    hopefully OFox devs will fix this ...
    OrangeFox Recovery Project

1623774345761.png

Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We're not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */

INSTALLATION:
    0. Backup your ROM, your data, your internal storage, and your settings/apps, to an external device
    1. Download the OrangeFox zip file to your device
    2. Reboot to your custom TWRP-based Recovery
    3. Install the OrangeFox zip file as a normal zip
    4. The device will automatically reboot into OrangeFox recovery after installation (allow this to happen)
    5. Enjoy!

Frequently Asked Questions; Installation from stock recovery; MIUI OTA; Troubleshooting; Sundry Information:
    * See
    Guides and FAQ: https://wiki.orangefox.tech/en/guides
    Setup OTA: https://wiki.orangefox.tech/en/guides/ota
    Discussion about MIUI OTA for our device: https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-8/how-to/guide-flashing-miui-ota-rom-recovery-t4041591

Credits
    * TeamWin - for TWRP
    * The OrangeFox Team - for your hard work
    * mauronofrio - for bring up ginkgo device tree
    * All our testers - for your patience and help

Features
    * Updated with latest TWRP commits
    * Built-in support for installing init.d functionality
    * Built-in support for installing Magisk
    * Built-in Magisk Manager
    * Flashlight
    * Password, torch, led
    * Support for Miui and Custom ROMs
    * Superb new UI and themes
    * OrangeFox theme engine:
    - choice of theme (black, dark, etc)
    - choice of color scheme
    - choice of splash screen
    * Alternative lockscreen
    * And many more!

DOWNLOADS
    https://orangefox.download/en/device/ginkgo

Screenshots
    See https://files.orangefox.tech/Screenshots/R10/

Contact Us
    Telegram: https://t.me/OrangeFoxChat

XDA:DevDB Information
    OrangeFox Recovery Project, Tool/Utility for the Redmi Note 8

Contributors
    Teguhpunya, DarthJabba9, MrYacha, mauronofrio
    Source Code: https://gitlab.com/OrangeFox
    Device Tree: https://gitlab.com/OrangeFox/device/ginkgo

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: R11.0_1
    Stable Release Date: 2021-02-22
    Current Beta Version: R11.1_1
    Beta Release Date: 2021-08-09

Created 2020-03-04
    Last Updated 2021-08-21
    Changelog

--NEW--
    Beta
    R11.1_1

* Now supports encryption on all MIUI
    Notes:
    * Doesn't support Android 11's metadata encryption for now. It will stuck at OrangeFox's splash image

Stable
    R11.0_1
    * Fixed decryption in Android 11 and some MIUI
    * Enabled turn off screen feature

--OLD--
    Stable
    R11.0
    * Initial stable R11.0 build
    * Manage a new Willow version (commit from mauronofrio)

R10.1_4

* Allow backup Persist image
    * Add support for metadata encryption
    * Fix status bar padding
    * Fix problem with queueing zip for flashing
    * Fix some issues related to backup
    * Add support for block-based incremental OTA updates in AOSP ROMs that support this
    * Fix issue "boot to fastboot" after successfully decrypted data from mount menu
    * Update OrangeFox codebase to 2020.05.29

R10.1_3
    * Prevent backup error caused by /data/per_boot
    * Deal with backup issues relating to Dual-Apps (/data/vendor_ce/999)
    * Reduced brightness values to reduce chance to get image retention
    * Move status bar up behind notch

R10.1_2
    * Updated Magiskboot to 20.2 stable
    * Updated DM-verity and forceencrypt disabler (Menu - Gear icon - MIUI OTA - Patch ROM)
    * Updated initd addon to anykernel3 version
    * Fix languange translations
    * many more

R10.1_1
    * Initial R10.1 stable build.
    * Fixed format partition problem.
    * Added support for willow (Not tested).
    * Updated magisk to 20.1.
    * Enabled Nano editor.

Beta

R11.1_0
    * Updated to R11.1 ( See Changelogs at https://wiki.orangefox.tech/en/changelog/ )
    * Added support for willow hwversion 18.31.0
    * Changed max screen brightness

R10.1_4
    - Continuation from R10.1_3 Stable
    - Add support for metadata encryption (need more test)
    - Fix reading device name (ginkgo as willow or vice versa) (need more test)
    - Fix status bar padding
    - Fix problem with queueing zip for flashing
    - Update Magisk to 20.3 in Fox addons
    - Update magiskboot
    - Update languange translations
    - and more…
    R10.1_4 Stable

Changelog:
    * Allow backup Persist image
    * Add support for metadata encryption
    * Fix status bar padding
    * Fix problem with queueing zip for flashing
    * Fix some issues related to backup
    * Add support for block-based incremental OTA updates in AOSP ROMs that support this
    * Fix issue "boot to fastboot" after successfully decrypted data from mount menu
    * Update OrangeFox codebase to 2020.05.29
    New update available.
    R11.0_1
    * Fixed decryption in Android 11 and some MIUI
    * Enabled turn off screen feature