[OFFICIAL][RECOVERY] TWRP 3.5.2_9 for Galaxy J5 (2016)

Search This thread

Bogdans29

Jun 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Were you able to encrypt Jenslody's BlissRoms 14.0? I ask because on the homepage says that one of the ROM bug is encryption and I would like to install an encrypted rom on my phone for security reasons.
Idk whan i go in TWRP im going to encrypt and select
Were you able to encrypt Jenslody's BlissRoms 14.0? I ask because on the homepage says that one of the ROM bug is encryption and I would like to install an encrypted rom on my phone for security reasons.
Oh s.... i doing it wrong.. I will try whan i charche my phone to 100% and report results

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
I see what you mean. My j5 is broken, i can't do any testing, but i have an idea on why.

Android 11 brought in new encryption/decryption protocol. Roms were building fine, as was aosp based recovery. Twrp and ofox builds were viewing things as encrypted (file names all jumbled up).

The fix was merged on or about december 16, when the twrp source code was 3.4.0 (later updated to 3.5.0 on dec 28).

Jens's twrp build is 3.3.1, and built on feb 15, 2020, while mine is 3.5.0, and built after the encryption fix was merged.

Bogdans29

Jun 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I see what you mean. My j5 is broken, i can't do any testing, but i have an idea on why.

Android 11 brought in new encryption/decryption protocol. Roms were building fine, as was aosp based recovery. Twrp and ofox builds were viewing things as encrypted (file names all jumbled up).

The fix was merged on or about december 16, when the twrp source code was 3.4.0 (later updated to 3.5.0 on dec 28).

Jens's twrp build is 3.3.1, and built on feb 15, 2020, while mine is 3.5.0, and built after the encryption fix was merged.
Encryption does not work bootloop using lastest bliss build and twrp

Reactions: Ex novo

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
Unfortunately the encryption of the crDroid ROM did not work. The device went into bootloop.
I'm tracing things back, its possible keymaster 4.0 is the issue, as it is not in the official release, but present in my personal test builds. Can anyone confirm if keymaster 4.0 is present on the roms in sbin, either on system, product, or vendor

daywalk3r666

I'm tracing things back, its possible keymaster 4.0 is the issue, as it is not in the official release, but present in my personal test builds. Can anyone confirm if keymaster 4.0 is present on the roms in sbin, either on system, product, or vendor
do you mean this files?
Screenshot_20210212-054815_MiXplorer.png

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
Unfortunately the encryption of the crDroid ROM did not work. The device went into bootloop.
I'm tracing things back, its possible keymaster 4.0 is the issue, as it is not in the official release, but present in my personal test builds. Can anyone confirm if keymaster 4.0 is present
Yes that one. For some reason test builds on here have it, and official builds do not. Also, was there any mtp/adb issues?

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
mtp and adb works without any problems. but i'm not encrypted
Ok, just checking. I had a report come in on mtp failing and i wanted to check around before i did anything major. I do think that its keymaster 4.0 thats causing the issue with encryption. Going back to the test build prior to the screenshots showing encrypted, its present there, but not present in official build.

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
You publishing recovery that is for J5 2015 instead for 2016.
J500 is 2015
J510 is 2016
Your lastest recovery 3.5.1 have error that image is larger than targeted davice..
Agree with @daywalk3r666 it was an automatic build. I didn't even know that they had released an update until the 18th, 4 days after that build was released. I'm looking into it now. also, seems to be a 2016 device issue.

Last edited:

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
Nice, thats good news. I have no idea why 2015 models were normal and 2016 models became bloated, but i'm glad to see that its working now. On a side note, other added changes were made, and i *think* that the encryption issue may be fixed now. But making sure the recovery was the right size was more important.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWRP 3.5.2_9 FOR GALAXY J5 (2016)

DISCLAIMER : I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE VOIDING YOUR WARRANTY OR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR DEVICE

FEATURES
    -Standard TWRP 3.5.2 features
    **-Nano and bash removed for now
    -Built with Android 9.0 sources
    -Backup/restore/format/mount:
    -IMEI 1, IMEI 2, FRP PARTITION, EFS, APNHLOS, RPM, MODEM, HIDDEN, QSEE, QHEE, PERSDATA, USB OTG
    -Android 11 compatible
    -Encryption
    -J510H support dropped due to lack of feedback from users

BUGS/KNOWN ISSUES
    -None so far

***Backup and restore info***

Some have reported having issues backing up and restoring beginning with Android 10, where upon restoring, a bootloop/stalled boot up occurs. A root fix flashable zip was referenced as the fix to this.
    The official solution to this, per TWRP managerial staff, is when backing up the system partition, use the system image instead of system. Its more reliable and efficient.

INSTALLATION
    1. Download TWRP image to your device
    2. Reboot to Recovery
    3. Install
    -a. via TWRP by selecting Install, Install Image, then select the image.​
    -b. via OrangeFox as a normal install.​
    4. Reboot to recovery.
    5. Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD

J5XNLTE/J5XLTE
    https://twrp.me/samsung/j5xnlte.html

J5XLTECMCC
    https://twrp.me/samsung/j5xltecmcc.html

Credits
    TWRP Team
    Zakaryan2004 for his assistance

Sources
    TWRP source: https://github.com/minimal-manifest-twrp/platform_manifest_twrp_omni
    Device and Kernel trees: https://github.com/teamwin

XDA:DevDB Information
    [RECOVERY] TWRP 3.5.2_9 for Galaxy J5 (2016), Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy J5

Contributors
    palmbeach05

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 3.5.2_9
    Stable Release Date: 2021-04-19

Created 2019-10-01
    Last Updated 2021-04-19
    Update
    3.3.1-1
    Changelog
    - TWRP repo sync
    - Fix FBE error message
    - Android 10 compatible
    - Add/ensure flashable boot, system, and recovery partitions
    - Add internal storage backup/restore
    - Add boardconfig flag for backwards compatibility with non-sar setups (compatibility implemented/will be implemented in the future
    - Possible j510h support added (untested, no one seems to want to test)
    Builds are now up
    what do you mean by this? does your phone still fast as it was? my j5 is already lagging when i open 10 tabs of chrome. Even playing coc can be laggy sometimes
    Maybe you have a bad battery, it is not providing enough power to the phone so this result in this behaviour, and 10 tabs of chrome!!! This is a lot if you ask me, the phone have only 2 GB of RAM, it's a normal behaviour then.

I use the stock ROM for now, I think it's better in some ways, the screen is very good, the camera too, ultimate battery saver, and many other things that I miss in custom ROMs. I use some tools to debloat the stock ROM, some developer settings too, and black theme to save more battery.

Not only that, but I just love this phone, I have an iPhone SE 1st generation, but I keep coming back to my J5 2016.
    Mtp, adb, mounting, encryption, should all be working. New naming scheme per commit by twrp team. I just threw it in a zip (non flashable zip). Don't encrypt with android 11 yet