[OFFICIAL][RECOVERY] [TWRP] TWRP for OnePlus 5T

Search This thread

simonsickle

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 25, 2012
Maryville
simonsickle.com
Official will be updated and maintained with proper, non hacked together support. To do that, everything must be tested and understood before throwing things and seeing what sticks.

USB OTG currently isn’t working due to the kernel not sending power. I’m continuing to investigate the best solution, wether it be a kernel fix to always enable it or to use the built in functionality.

As for the theme, please don’t ask here. You can easily install any theme you wish through the built in functionality. Ask the creator of whatever theme to make the proper zip file.

This is due to the ID in the usb init. There was no reason to change it since it is working.

Restores work on both the official and blue spark versions. the warning is there so that users are aware their data can be lost.

Finally, this is not the place to tell users what to use and what not to. This is a development thread that I’m welcoming specific support questions in. The choice of which build to use is ultimately up to the user; please do not debate builds etc. support issues are the only thing that should be posted in this thread. Create a thread in general for anything else.

mad-murdock

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
Detmold
When doing a backup of boot, system, data, I get an error

createTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255

It happens at the very end. When I got to restore, I only can restore system and data, boot is gone.

I had the same issue with the older and unofficial recovery versions for the 5T. Never figured out the cause of it. And I never dared to restore such backup and never had to.

Any idea what the cause? Is my backup working nonetheless?

Bradl79

May 25, 2008
J'Ville

It happens at the very end. When I got to restore, I only can restore system and data, boot is gone.

I had the same issue with the older and unofficial recovery versions for the 5T. Never figured out the cause of it. And I never dared to restore such backup and never had to.

I have the same issues it's ur data, u will be able to restore boot and system just not data, no one has fixed issue yet, still not sure

Fraught

Jan 6, 2014
It means when you flash stock firmware zip throughout twrp, it will be replaced with stock recovery.
...huh. Doesn't that happen with all custom recoveries, though? I thought "on boot" meant it would reset to stock recovery every time you just booted up the phone (which seemed...inconvenient).

ilulale

Sep 20, 2017
I am currently on the unofficial TWRP recovery and I want to flash this official one,is there a way to do it directly through the recovery such as flashing the official twrp zip in the unofficial recovery or do I have to use a pc and ADB?

slaya811

Apr 10, 2011
Pasadena,Tx
I am currently on the unofficial TWRP recovery and I want to flash this official one,is there a way to do it directly through the recovery such as flashing the official twrp zip in the unofficial recovery or do I have to use a pc and ADB?

I'm pretty sure you can just flash the zip then just reboot in recovery to make sure it flashed right

kgs1992

May 8, 2012
Bangalore

I have the same issues it's ur data, u will be able to restore boot and system just not data, no one has fixed issue yet, still not sure

Either you're using multi user mode or the parallel apps feature. Either way, take a look at /tmp/recovery.log and remove any folders that are causing backup to fail.
Worked for me, ymmv.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is a bug or TWRP just doesn't support multi user mode, but shouldn't the backup process just warn that the files for other users are not being backed up and simply ignore any users other than 0?

Last edited:

Bradl79

May 25, 2008
J'Ville
Either you're using multi user mode or the parallel apps feature. Either way, take a look at /tmp/recovery.log and remove any folders that are causing backup to fail.
Worked for me, ymmv.

using neither, no parrallel or multi, i got the error for my clean stock 4.2.0 before setting up and still got error restoring it

Reactions: slaya811

konman21

Apr 19, 2011

Why don't you download the app from the play store and flash it through the application.

kgs1992

May 8, 2012
Bangalore
here is the back recovery.log for my very 1st backup, when i did the back no errors, just when i tried to restore

recovery.log

It looks like you backed up using blu_spark. Can you try using that same recovery to restore data?
Generally with unofficial builds, it's hard to tell what might be different from the official build, considering it was ported from the OP5 to the OP5T.

EDIT: If that doesn't work, I'd advice posting your recovery.log while restoring. Post in the blu_spark recovery thread, and mention me so I see it. If it does work, I'd suggest flashing official TWRP and creating a fresh backup from which restore will be supported even when the recovery is updated.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWRP for the OnePlus 5T with File Based Encryption support. Everything is working as expected! Unlock your device with fastboot oem unlock and then fastboot flash the recovery. The stock rom WILL reset your recovery on boot!

Not working / issues
    Restoring data partition from backups will lead to boot issues if FBE-encrypted. It's not a TWRP issue but rather a side effect on how FBE works.

Download

SOURCE
    Device Tree
    Kernel
    Patch for FBE
    Manifest For Omni-7.1

Credits:
    Code:
    rhcp011235 - General help, testing, whatnot
    xdevs23 - pointing us at the patch for FBE

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP, Tool/Utility for the OnePlus 5T

Contributors
    simonsickle, Dees_Troy, bigbiff
    Source Code: https://github.com/SimonSickle/android_device_oneplus_dumpling

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.2.0
    Stable Release Date: 2017-12-01

Created 2017-12-07
    Last Updated 2017-12-07
    Updated to 3.2.0. Enjoy!

Also, this is now official: https://twrp.me/oneplus/oneplus5t.html
    Official will be updated and maintained with proper, non hacked together support. To do that, everything must be tested and understood before throwing things and seeing what sticks.

USB OTG currently isn’t working due to the kernel not sending power. I’m continuing to investigate the best solution, wether it be a kernel fix to always enable it or to use the built in functionality.

As for the theme, please don’t ask here. You can easily install any theme you wish through the built in functionality. Ask the creator of whatever theme to make the proper zip file.

This is due to the ID in the usb init. There was no reason to change it since it is working.

Restores work on both the official and blue spark versions. the warning is there so that users are aware their data can be lost.

Finally, this is not the place to tell users what to use and what not to. This is a development thread that I’m welcoming specific support questions in. The choice of which build to use is ultimately up to the user; please do not debate builds etc. support issues are the only thing that should be posted in this thread. Create a thread in general for anything else.
    OTG and DT2W are coming to the next build of TWRP. Stay tuned to the TWRP app for new IMG
    Dont use it for now!

5T users are advised to stay on TWRP by ibe or bluspark as official twrp has issues with data restore, I have tested restore on ibe and bluspark and both work fine for now. Looking at the past track of OnePlus devices official for dumpling would also not be maintained and further updated so it's best to stay on unofficial for now which would be frequently maintained and updated.

Thanks to @FuNkWizard for his tests and heads up.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone