• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL][ROM][PAYTON]LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread
Oct 26, 2016
i think you are missing the install of the Mindthegapps (google apps) after you flash the LOS build and before the first start.
Hi, I thought the Google apps are optional, that is, LOS will run smoothly without the installed Google apps? Therefore I did not install them!

If anybody is installing LOS on Payton from scratch, please check with my listing (see above) of the required steps, and if it works with another device, than maybe my device has a defect? But I never noticed any strange behaviour with stock rom!

ThE_MarD

Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
Heyyo folks! I just got back from a family camping trip so I'll try to catch up on this thread hehe

@Wolf.Kuerschner , the steps I did before on my payton was...

1. reboot to bootloader
  2. fastboot --set-active=a
  3. fastboot reboot bootloader
  4. flash fastboot payton ROM (I did the last Google Fi build since mine is a Google Fi unit, but up to you which one you wish to do as long as it is based on pie. The last Google Fi build was XT1900-1_PAYTON_FI_9.0_PPWS29.69-39-6-13_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC)
  5. fastboot flash boot with Lineage Recovery image
  6. reboot to recovery
  7. adb sideload copy-partitions-20210323_1922.zip
  8. Factory Reset > Format data/factory reset
  9. adb sideload latest LineageOS build for payton
  10. reboot to recovery
  11. (optional, but I did this) adb sideload MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210412_124247.zip
  12. reboot to system
Those instructions are pretty much the same as the LineageOS Wiki install instructions for payton, except I explicitly mentioned that fastboot stuff for the first four instructions.

The GApps is definitely optional as you can use LineageOS (or any AOSP based custom ROM should be the same too) without any GApps.

Just as the wiki mentions for payton that the adb sideload 47% thing is an AOSP bug. Then it will usually say something like "failed to read command: success" even though it does succeed.

Sometimes LOS Recovery will show failed to read data/media/0 but that's usually only after a factory reset where it formats the userdata partition and if you reboot to recovery before rebooting to system so the partition isn't set up for use.

@payton_fischer1227 glad to hear it's working good for you! Tbh for Digital Welbeing I'm unsure of sorry... if that is important to you, you can always reboot to recovery and try to flash a different GApps package such as Open GApps using arm64 nano or micro

I also re-double-checked the LOS wiki install instructions for payton and they are correct. I didn't notice the "adb reboot sideload" command which tells LOS recovery to reboot and instantly go into sideload for sideloading GApps so the instructions are safe to use there

Last edited:

patomovil

Dec 29, 2017
Moto X4
Google Pixel 2
Hi folks, thanks @ThE_MarD for this ROM! I used LOS 16 and then LOS 17 as a daily driver on this phone in 2019 and 2020. They both seemed very stable and functional to me. I read through this LOS 18 thread back in April and saw that things were still a bit rough around the edges for LOS 18. But I see that there haven't been any LOS 17 releases since March, and security updates are important to me. So, what's the summary of the LOS 18 situation right now? What's still rough around the edges? Volume, calls dropped, small details that amount to a few paper cuts? I want to set up the phone for someone who has little patience for things not working, so I'm trying to avoid giving them the phone and then finding out it has rough spots.

Reactions: ThE_MarD

ThE_MarD

Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
Heyyo @patomovil , thank you for the kind words! For 16.0 and most of the work on 17.1 was due to other Motorola sdm660 maintainers as I joined payton right around when 18.1 bring up was happening

For 18.1 bugs? The only big bug is that Wifi Display (Miracast) is broken on official builds. There's a test build with an experimental fix that works but it isn't merged.

As for carrier issues? That tends to depend on APN settings or carrier overlays. If there is any incorrect or missing APN settings or carrier overlays? They can always be submitted to LineageOS Gerrit

Reactions: Francesco Libera

ferrazrafael

Feb 3, 2013
@ThE_MarD Magisk is working fine with LOS 18.1.

Im having a problem that in every update the new rom is downloaded and installed but when Im supposed to receive a notification asking me to reboot the device, nothing happens and if I enter on to the update app again it tells me to download the rom all over again. But if I just reboot after that, rom installation will complete normally. I think this is some kind of bug on the update app. You can look in to it? Or I need to report this elsewhere?

htsmi

Jul 15, 2016
So, I am looking at upgrading to this from an older version of 17.1, it looks promising but a few questions:

I assume that there is no adoptable storage right? In the past I had to build custom with FDE to get this working, just seeing if I will have to attempt that again. I download lots of offline maps and music on Spotify so this is pretty essential for me.

Anyone used this with microG?

Does magisk su work as expected since that seems to be the only option anymore?

ferrazrafael

Feb 3, 2013
So, I am looking at upgrading to this from an older version of 17.1, it looks promising but a few questions:

I assume that there is no adoptable storage right? In the past I had to build custom with FDE to get this working, just seeing if I will have to attempt that again. I download lots of offline maps and music on Spotify so this is pretty essential for me.

Anyone used this with microG?

Does magisk su work as expected since that seems to be the only option anymore?

Magisk SU works. What is FDE? I coudnt make sd cards work properly with Moto X4 and this ROM. It seams that adoptable storage wasnt supported by the stock rom and maybe that is why it isn't supported in LOS. Link2SD didn't worked as well.

htsmi

Jul 15, 2016
Full disk encryption. Officially deprecated by Google but it still can be built for legacy devices, at least up to pie. The issue with this device is that the kernel is too old to support adoptable storage with the new file-based encryption. I have a working build of 17.1 from last December with FDE and adoptable storage but it suffers from this bug so I can't really encrypt it securely. I'll share my build if I get it working here.

ThE_MarD

Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
@ferrazrafael , you can check logcat to see if there's any errors, otherwise you can check your notification settings just in case maybe it is muted?

@htsmi since Payton is stuck on 4.4 kernel, it is still an issue afaik. You might be able to force FDE on only the sdcard like beryllium (Poco F1) does?

There could be more changes required tbh, maybe BoardConfig includes?

zerolam

May 1, 2015
I can use google pay with magisk + magiskhide props config

Updated: installing mindthegapps will install gpay but you can't find the app of gpay (mind thegapps). you can install gpay from play store.

If you want to config gpay pre-instaled with mindthegapp without installing gpay from play store, you have to long press power button for few seconds > 3 dot near your card> view all

This is the only way i can find to config gpay without installing gpay from play store.

If some one finds another way please let me know.

Thank you so much

Last edited:

dashingdon

Mar 13, 2009
Bay Area
Thanks for all the hardwork on the port. I flashed on to my google fi android one variant . Except outgoing calls and SMS on cellular everything else is working.

What are the APN settings I need to apply ? If anyone can guide that would be awesome. I am in the US , google fi. thanks in advance.

zerolam

May 1, 2015
I tried gcam by Wichaya and others

Real time google lens suggestion doesn't wok
I have to use Google Lens after taking a photo
how to fix this?

thank you so much

dashingdon

Mar 13, 2009
Bay Area
Thanks for all the hardwork on the port. I flashed on to my google fi android one variant . Except outgoing calls and SMS on cellular everything else is working.

What are the APN settings I need to apply ? If anyone can guide that would be awesome. I am in the US , google fi. thanks in advance.

Just posting an update on my own request.

For some reason, (New) SIM did not get activated properly on Moto X4. I reactivated FI SIM in Nexus 5X and re-inserted back into MOTO X4. Everything is working flawlessly. Thanks.

Reactions: ThE_MarD

zerolam

May 1, 2015
@ThE_MarD

issue report

Brightness Control issue with video and log
brightness goes up to the highest when I slide to the end of the left

---------------------------------------------------------
another issue:
setting > system > buttons > when [enable on-screen nav bar] is disable >
home button (fingerprint)
"double tap action" works including "turn screen off"
"long press action" doesn't work

thank you so much

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 0

andyrtr

Aug 24, 2011
Magdeburg
I'm running into a minor but annoying issue since 18.1 update: Auto-brightness drops to a much too low value from time to time. It works at "day time" but when the redshift kicks in at sundown it shift to a minimum brightness even at relative bright ambient light. And the minimum seems to be much lower than on 17.1 so I have to lift it up to aprox. one 3rd of the slider but it sets it back to minimum from time to time again.

st0nedpenguin

Jun 13, 2011
I'm running into a minor but annoying issue since 18.1 update: Auto-brightness drops to a much too low value from time to time. It works at "day time" but when the redshift kicks in at sundown it shift to a minimum brightness even at relative bright ambient light. And the minimum seems to be much lower than on 17.1 so I have to lift it up to aprox. one 3rd of the slider but it sets it back to minimum from time to time again.
Yeah this has been happening with every 18.1 build for me. Small problem but still kinda annoying.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm on a May version of the build and have been having this issue since the beginning. I use a headset because of this, or I have to talk loudly.
    @maelopam @ThE_MarD

I finally found the solution to the Mic issue. It was dust inside the tiny Mic hole (along side the finger printer) in the front of the smartphone. Also cleaned the tiny hole in the back side of the phone. Used isopropyl alcohol on both hole and vouila! Problem fixed!

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX4/comments/83cwss/_/dvhjaf3
    @H0ss1 @maelopam The volume issues were fixed in a release in early August. Try an update.

Best regards Freed
    Heyyo @451plus , the AOSP email app was dropped since Google neglects it and I believe there's security flaws with it anyways. There's plenty of great email apps on the Play store which work fine with exchange email servers

@H0ss1 , hmm, which device firmware are you using by chance? I'm on XT1900-1_PAYTON_FI_9.0_PPWS29.69-39-6-13_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC and I don't have any audio issues when calling when using earpiece of loudspeaker.

@zerolam , sorry for the late reply but I can replicate that super weird bug, so I'll try to figure out what is causing it as it is very very odd
    @H0ss1 , that's great news! Glad to hear your mic is fixed and you posted the solution here for others to see
    @maelopam @ThE_MarD

I finally found the solution to the Mic issue. It was dust inside the tiny Mic hole (along side the finger printer) in the front of the smartphone. Also cleaned the tiny hole in the back side of the phone. Used isopropyl alcohol on both hole and vouila! Problem fixed!

Something similar happened to my X4 Within a month of purchasing it but I damaged the microphone by attempting to clean it with a toothpick. Thanks for sharing a more sensible solution than what I tried. The alcohol I might have guessed but not the sonic toothbrush.
    2okPze5.png

Code:
    /*

* Your warranty is now void.

* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,

* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please

* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM

* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if

* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

*/

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Introduction

This is the official Lineage OS thread for the Motorola Moto X4, codename payton.

We support all the T-Mobile, International, and Project Fi variants, as their bootloaders are unlockable, while we can't support the Verizon and AT&T variants, as their bootloaders are permanently locked.

How to install via Lineage Recovery

Please follow the official instructions

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS WITH LINEAGE RECOVERY

Please follow the official LineageOS Wiki instructions for our device

How to install via TWRP

1. Boot the newest TWRP .img from the Official TWRP Project Site.
    2. IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
    3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", "Format Data", then type "yes" as prompted.
    4. ADB sideload the newest weekly
    5. (Optionally) You can flash the newest TWRP Installer also found at the Official TWRP Project Site if you wish to maintain TWRP, though the pre-installed Lineage Recovery instance will do everything you need it to in most cases. We don't recommend or support the use of the TWRP installer, as it is overwritten on every update (will need to be re-installed every update), and has no addon.d-v2 persistence.
    6. Click "Reboot", then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
    7. (Optionally) Flash GApps
    8. Reboot

How to upgrade from 17.1 via Lineage Recovery

Please follow the official instructions

How to upgrade from 17.1 via TWRP

1. Boot the newest TWRP .img from the Official TWRP Project Site.
    2. IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
    3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", then select "advanced" and select "cache" and wipe.
    4. ADB sideload the newest weekly build or copy it to your device and install the zip
    5. (Optionally) You can flash the newest TWRP Installer also found at the Official TWRP Project Site if you wish to maintain TWRP, though the pre-installed Lineage Recovery instance will do everything you need it to in most cases. We don't recommend or support the use of the TWRP installer, as it is overwritten on every update (will need to be re-installed every update), and has no addon.d-v2 persistence.
    6. Click "Reboot", then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
    7. (Optionally) Flash GApps
    8. Reboot

Notes

Official Lineage OS builds will not pass CTS/SafetyNet -- due to the AVB flag's "red" status. (Magisk works fine, though is not supported.)
    Official Lineage OS builds ship with full treble compatibility, with VNDK runtime enforcement! This means that unlike most "ported treble" you'll see, ours is just as it would be from the OEM, and can run any GSI (yes, even Pie!) without need for hacks or additional flashable zips. We relabeled /oem as /vendor (as /oem isn't used in custom ROM's anyway). To use a GSI, flash official Lineage, then flash your GSI, it's that simple! Flashing a factory image will likely write over /oem and remove the mock vendor image. Please don't report GSI bugs here, report them instead to the GSI's maker.

Download

Official:

Unofficial test builds:

Google Apps (GApps)

MindTheGapps:

GCam Mods

XDA:DevDB Information

Lineage OS 18.1, ROM for the Moto X4

Contributors

erfanoabdi, ThE_MarD, Lineage Team

Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM Firmware Required: Official Pie
    Heyyo @doug.passerini , I asked other Motorola maintainers and they said that the provided fingerprint kernel drivers are very bare, so it isn't something that would be simple to do as we would need to entirely recreate the driver from scratch and tbh it's well beyond my skill level... o_O
    I'm on a May version of the build and have been having this issue since the beginning. I use a headset because of this, or I have to talk loudly.
    @maelopam @ThE_MarD

Heyyo, can anyone with quick charging issues please submit logcat? It's working fine for me, so I'm unsure if maybe your charging blocks are different? We haven't changed anything to do with chargers since 17.1 so it should just work the same as 17.1 did.

@ferrazrafael , that has to do with SafetyNet. Netflix won't natively install on any device that SafetyNet fials on. You will need to either sideload the apk from somewhere or use Magisk Hide and maybe other stuff (I dunno, I don't install any root on my devices as it weakens security as root itself is a security bypass).
    Heyyo @akillenb , reboot options are now under Settings > System > Gestures > Power Menu > Advanced Restart

@WackyDoo the wipe options are for TWRP. Lineage Recovery has Factory Reset options

Also, since official 18.1 builds kicked off? I updated the thread title and first post to include upgrade from 17.1 instructions (y)