• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL][ROM][PAYTON]LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

zerolam

May 1, 2015
After some testing it seems indeed to be a faulty card issue. A replacement card works well now. So the update was not the culprit.
I recently reboot my Moto X4 (build 23 November 2021),
notification shows "Issue with SD card, Tap to fix"

This should be the first reboot after the update (23 Nov 2021)
not sure whether the issuer is related to sd card or OS.

this situation likes I removed the SD card directly from the phone without any decryption.

Reactions: ThE_MarD

aczlan

Nov 17, 2014
I had issues when I was on AT&T, but I'm currently running the latest build of Lineage 18.1 and I found that after I switched over to T-Mobile both VoLTE and WIFI Calling have been working just fine.
I have had a few call quality/dropping issues, but I think they are due to cell data connectivity issues as it is not keeping the APN that I have selected (keeps switching to TRACFONE.VZWENTP when it should be using VZWINTERNET).

Aaron Z

ThE_MarD

Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
Heyyo, a new test build is going up! lineage-18.1-20211112-UNOFFICIAL-payton contains a different way to fix the automatic brightness that restores the old values and just fixes the brightness slider via status bar bug. It also has some tweaks for testing adoptable storage.

Heyyo, anyone got feedback on this build? Automatic brightness is fine for me, same with adoptable storage but I'd like a community member to also confirm.

Update: a Beckham maintainer tested both and they said it works fine for them so I merged both the automatic brightness fix and the adoptable storage. The next official build for Payton will include both. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Francesco Libera

jtnc

Dec 4, 2012
Hey @ThE_MarD, a question on the auto brightness issue. Is this trying to fix the brightness to not reset to minimumafter you have set it to a non-min setting? If so I don't think it is fixed in The 12/5 build which I thought had the fix.

To be clear.here is an example. I set brightness to non-min as shown below
Screenshot_20211228-205740_Nova7_1_1.png

And then sometime later I see it dim too much and it is back to the following.

Screenshot_20211228-205703_Settings_1-crop.png

It will typically hold the modified brightness for a while, but eventually some light to dark transition will flip it back to the min setting.

Thanks, and thanks for the device builds!

Reactions: Francesco Libera

jeremywh7

Sep 16, 2013
Indy
Motorola Atrix 4G
Moto X
And then sometime later I see it dim too much and it is back to the following.
[...]
It will typically hold the modified brightness for a while, but eventually some light to dark transition will flip it back to the min setting.
I had this happen a couple times last weekend; first time I'd ever seen it. I didn't know there had been an auto-brightness issue... mine was always fine. :)

aczlan

Nov 17, 2014
Anyone else seeing issues with the microphone in calls using the built in mic?
I am constantly told that they cant hear me unless I am almost yelling into the phone and them my audio comes and goes faintly.
Doesn't seem to matter of I am in "regular" or "speakerphone" mode, but if I switch to a Bluetooth headset or the car handsfree and its fine.
Talk to text seems to work fine, audio quality via the "Recorder" app might be a little quiet, but its decent..
Has been this way since I switched to Lineageos, before that on the stock OS it wasn't an issue.
I have the 21 Dec build installed with the Opengapps Nano package.

Aaron Z

Last edited:

ThE_MarD

Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
@jtnc I'll try to get time to check it on my Payton then. When I was trying it out, it did work on mine on my test builds and tbh I posted test builds here and never got any feedback...

@aczlan, I'd recommend using a clean electric toothbrush to clean your microphone ports. It's probably the noise cancelling mic is blocked if you're saying only calls are affected. There's been other users in this thread reporting that same issue and saying this resolved it for them. Same for your speaker as it could be clogged causing the volume to be weaker too

aczlan

Nov 17, 2014
@aczlan, I'd recommend using a clean electric toothbrush to clean your microphone ports. It's probably the noise cancelling mic is blocked if you're saying only calls are affected. There's been other users in this thread reporting that same issue and saying this resolved it for them. Same for your speaker as it could be clogged causing the volume to be weaker too
Interesting, it looks clean, I will see if there is anything plugging it up.

Aaron Z

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
@jtnc I'd recommend using a clean electric toothbrush to clean your microphone ports. It's probably the noise cancelling mic is blocked if you're saying only calls are affected. There's been other users in this thread reporting that same issue and saying this resolved it for them. Same for your speaker as it could be clogged causing the volume to be weaker too

I second that notion, and this device is prone to such issues. In fact I would be active in this thread had I not ruined the bottom mic with a toothpick while cleaning it. That microphone facing toward the front of the phone exposes it to everything leaving a person's mouth in addition to their voice and exposes it to dust and detritus when the phone is placed face down while the microphones on the bottom edge don't have that problem. Phone calls were affected but apps which used the top microphone were able to pick up sound. Anyhow, that's just a long winded +1 for gently cleaning the microphone.

Reactions: aczlan and ThE_MarD

aczlan

Nov 17, 2014
I second that notion, and this device is prone to such issues. In fact I would be active in this thread had I not ruined the bottom mic with a toothpick while cleaning it. That microphone facing toward the front of the phone exposes it to everything leaving a person's mouth in addition to their voice and exposes it to dust and detritus when the phone is placed face down while the microphones on the bottom edge don't have that problem. Phone calls were affected but apps which used the top microphone were able to pick up sound. Anyhow, that's just a long winded +1 for gently cleaning the microphone.
Well, I took it out to the garage and blew across the mic hole with compressed air and it seems to be working much better now.
Weird that it worked fine with the stock OS but to be fair, it sat on my desk for a few months since it was last used, so who knows how much crud it picked up there.

Aaron Z

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Heyyo @IronTechmonkey, my condolences on your mic, Is microphones expensive for Payton in your country?

Not particularly expensive but I wasn't ambitious about that because I had also broken the glass back which I was never fond of. It would though be a perfect device on which to practice replacing a microphone so maybe I will do that. It's a very nice device and I'm glad there is still some interest in development for it.

Reactions: ThE_MarD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @IronTechmonkey there definitely is interest since my payton is still ok. I plan on LOS 19 for it once I get it to boot on at least one of my devices and then use that knowledge to get the rest to boot including payton lol...
    @jtnc I'll try to get time to check it on my Payton then. When I was trying it out, it did work on mine on my test builds and tbh I posted test builds here and never got any feedback...

@jtnc I'd recommend using a clean electric toothbrush to clean your microphone ports. It's probably the noise cancelling mic is blocked if you're saying only calls are affected. There's been other users in this thread reporting that same issue and saying this resolved it for them. Same for your speaker as it could be clogged causing the volume to be weaker too

Well, I took it out to the garage and blew across the mic hole with compressed air and it seems to be working much better now.
    Weird that it worked fine with the stock OS but to be fair, it sat on my desk for a few months since it was last used, so who knows how much crud it picked up there.

Aaron Z
    Heyyo @IronTechmonkey, my condolences on your mic, Is microphones expensive for Payton in your country?
    2okPze5.png

Code:
    /*

* Your warranty is now void.

* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,

* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please

* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM

* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if

* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

*/

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Introduction

This is the official Lineage OS thread for the Motorola Moto X4, codename payton.

We support all the T-Mobile, International, and Project Fi variants, as their bootloaders are unlockable, while we can't support the Verizon and AT&T variants, as their bootloaders are permanently locked.

How to install via Lineage Recovery

Please follow the official instructions

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS WITH LINEAGE RECOVERY

Please follow the official LineageOS Wiki instructions for our device

How to install via TWRP

1. Boot the newest TWRP .img from the Official TWRP Project Site.
    2. IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
    3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", "Format Data", then type "yes" as prompted.
    4. ADB sideload the newest weekly
    5. (Optionally) You can flash the newest TWRP Installer also found at the Official TWRP Project Site if you wish to maintain TWRP, though the pre-installed Lineage Recovery instance will do everything you need it to in most cases. We don't recommend or support the use of the TWRP installer, as it is overwritten on every update (will need to be re-installed every update), and has no addon.d-v2 persistence.
    6. Click "Reboot", then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
    7. (Optionally) Flash GApps
    8. Reboot

How to upgrade from 17.1 via Lineage Recovery

Please follow the official instructions

How to upgrade from 17.1 via TWRP

1. Boot the newest TWRP .img from the Official TWRP Project Site.
    2. IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
    3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", then select "advanced" and select "cache" and wipe.
    4. ADB sideload the newest weekly build or copy it to your device and install the zip
    5. (Optionally) You can flash the newest TWRP Installer also found at the Official TWRP Project Site if you wish to maintain TWRP, though the pre-installed Lineage Recovery instance will do everything you need it to in most cases. We don't recommend or support the use of the TWRP installer, as it is overwritten on every update (will need to be re-installed every update), and has no addon.d-v2 persistence.
    6. Click "Reboot", then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
    7. (Optionally) Flash GApps
    8. Reboot

Notes

Official Lineage OS builds will not pass CTS/SafetyNet -- due to the AVB flag's "red" status. (Magisk works fine, though is not supported.)
    Official Lineage OS builds ship with full treble compatibility, with VNDK runtime enforcement! This means that unlike most "ported treble" you'll see, ours is just as it would be from the OEM, and can run any GSI (yes, even Pie!) without need for hacks or additional flashable zips. We relabeled /oem as /vendor (as /oem isn't used in custom ROM's anyway). To use a GSI, flash official Lineage, then flash your GSI, it's that simple! Flashing a factory image will likely write over /oem and remove the mock vendor image. Please don't report GSI bugs here, report them instead to the GSI's maker.

Download

Official:

Unofficial test builds:

Google Apps (GApps)

MindTheGapps:

GCam Mods

XDA:DevDB Information

Lineage OS 18.1, ROM for the Moto X4

Contributors

erfanoabdi, ThE_MarD, Lineage Team

Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM Firmware Required: Official Pie
    Heyyo, a new test build is up! lineage-18.1-20211022-UNOFFICIAL-payton contains tweaks to the brightness during always on display and also some blob updates from the latest Lake build released.

Mainly need automatic brightness tested in all scenarios (AOD, in light areas, dark areas, while charging in dark areas, etc)

As for LineageOS 19.0? I have it synced on my PC meow, I just need time to start building it for all my devices
    Heyyo @doug.passerini , I asked other Motorola maintainers and they said that the provided fingerprint kernel drivers are very bare, so it isn't something that would be simple to do as we would need to entirely recreate the driver from scratch and tbh it's well beyond my skill level... o_O
    I'm on a May version of the build and have been having this issue since the beginning. I use a headset because of this, or I have to talk loudly.
    @maelopam @ThE_MarD

I finally found the solution to the Mic issue. It was dust inside the tiny Mic hole (along side the finger printer) in the front of the smartphone. Also cleaned the tiny hole in the back side of the phone. Used isopropyl alcohol on both hole and vouila! Problem fixed!

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX4/comments/83cwss/_/dvhjaf3
    Heyyo @akillenb , reboot options are now under Settings > System > Gestures > Power Menu > Advanced Restart

@WackyDoo the wipe options are for TWRP. Lineage Recovery has Factory Reset options

Also, since official 18.1 builds kicked off? I updated the thread title and first post to include upgrade from 17.1 instructions (y)