[OFFICIAL][ROM][PAYTON]LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

AtomTZW

• Apr 5, 2021
    Hi! I am new on this thread, recently I have flashed my MOTO X4 with Lineage Os 18.1 (come from PE+ 10), But I am facing an issue with GPS, It seems not working. When I open G Maps, and find my location it not work. If anyone has solution about this bug, please refer me. Thanks guys to be part of LineageOs ✌️
    Same thing. How did you fix it? :(
    Edit: wipe data and install the previous rom until solution is found. That fixes the location problem for now.

Last edited:

AtomTZW

• Apr 5, 2021
    I'm coming from stock ROM and a feature I miss a lot is locking device with a long press on fingerprint sensor. Is there any way to get this for LOS18.1? Or maybe is it available on previous LOS versions?
    Moto actions (fingerprint gestures) in general like enhanced screenshot, quick screenshot (with 3 fingers), or one button nav for example aren't in this ROM. I miss those functions so much...

spiral777

Oct 21, 2011
    Chicago
    Nexus 6
    Google Pixel
    Heyyo, a new test build is up! The link can be found on the first post under the unofficial test builds link. lineage-18.1-20210119-UNOFFICIAL-payton contains some audio tweaks for echo-reference, speaker volume boost as well, so please test all voice call and audio recording functions.

Heyyo, a new test build is up! The link can be found on the first post under the unofficial test builds link. lineage-18.1-20210119-UNOFFICIAL-payton contains some audio tweaks for echo-reference, speaker volume boost as well, so please test all voice call and audio recording functions.
    Rom installed and works fine (official Los 18.1) :)... But I ran into some trouble installing magisk 22(.1)...so I flashed 21.4 and that's doing the trick for now so I can get Viper4android to work...

*I formatted data before installing and got almost 10gb of usable storage space back 🙌

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wn5c3o6hl8gpnhn/magisk-v21.4.zip?dl=0

Last edited:
    Reactions: ThE_MarD

buttens

Apr 27, 2021
    First post here so please be kind.

XT1900-1 [Payton] 64gb Android One variant that I just installed 18.1 on and have updated twice now over the last two weeks. No Gapps, just bare lineage via TWRP.

I'm attempting swapping in my Verizon SIM and found VoLTE is not working nor present in the network menu as it is on my XT1962-1 [River] running 17.1. Looking at SIM status it shows voice network type is 1x.

Is this a known issue or non-feature? Something obvious that I'm missing?

st0nedpenguin

Jun 13, 2011
    Updated to 18.1 from 17.1 following the instructions and everything went great. Thanks for all your work. My phone feels noticeably snappier than it did on Android 10.

flieswithhawks

Feb 25, 2016
    Moto X4
    Moto G Stylus
    First post here so please be kind.

XT1900-1 [Payton] 64gb Android One variant that I just installed 18.1 on and have updated twice now over the last two weeks. No Gapps, just bare lineage via TWRP.

I'm attempting swapping in my Verizon SIM and found VoLTE is not working nor present in the network menu as it is on my XT1962-1 [River] running 17.1. Looking at SIM status it shows voice network type is 1x.

Is this a known issue or non-feature? Something obvious that I'm missing?
    I too lost VoLTE when upgrading a custom ROM with this phone before. You will probably need to restore to stock by manually installing with the correct commands and then verify that it's present in the stock ROM settings. Then you can reinstall Lineage and VoLTE should be present again.

That's what worked for me anyways...

buttens

Apr 27, 2021
    Thanks for the reply. I was about to return to stock and/or try the last 17.1 version.

So you are saying that reinstalling the stock image, inserting SIM / reboot / verify VoLTE in settings, then re-installing 18.1 may do the trick? This all assumes that the stock ROM works (which it should afaik)..

PS Everything else seems to work very well. It's very snappy and all the sensors and features work that I've tried. The only thing that is disappointing is the speaker volume is pretty lousy. Full volume is about half or 2/3 of what I'd expect.

Reactions: flieswithhawks

JimDandy68

I too lost VoLTE when upgrading a custom ROM with this phone before
    Hi, all. I've been watching this thread and am tempted to upgrade from the solid 17.1, but want to figure out the best way to go. It looks like the standard procedure is basically wiping cache and sideloading 18.1, but are others doing more than that, like factory reset or wiping data?

And have others found that it's necessary to go back to stock first to retain VoLTE? I can't tell from this quote whether it's a reference to LOS or other ROMs, and I believe I read that GPS works fine if you go the suggested upgrade route (not wiping data, e.g.).

Guess I'm just confused. Thanks for any advice.

Rephrasing my question: Has anyone upgraded directly from 17.1 to 18.1, using the recommended cache-clear/adb sideload -- without first going back to stock -- and retained VoLTE, WiFi calling, GPS, etc? Thanks

Last edited:

BraneGenius

May 1, 2021
    Thanks for the reply. I was about to return to stock and/or try the last 17.1 version.

So you are saying that reinstalling the stock image, inserting SIM / reboot / verify VoLTE in settings, then re-installing 18.1 may do the trick? This all assumes that the stock ROM works (which it should afaik)..

PS Everything else seems to work very well. It's very snappy and all the sensors and features work that I've tried. The only thing that is disappointing is the speaker volume is pretty lousy. Full volume is about half or 2/3 of what I'd expect.
    Hey, first time poster here, but I had the same issue as you: LOS 18.1 installed on payton X1900-1, everything seemed copacetic, but VoLTE and WiFi Calling weren't working in practice. Inspired by your conversation with flieswithhawks, I attempted to do exactly as you inferred: reinstall the stock image, confirm that VoLTE/WFC work, then re-install LOS 18.1. I'm happy to report that it worked! Here are some notes I'm hoping can help out:

• Like you, I'm using a 64GB AndroidOne Moto X4. However, I'm using a Mint Mobile sim card, which others have reported as working . I'm not sure if there are additional considerations for a Verizon SIM.
    • I recently returned to this device after using another phone as my daily driver, so it was already unlocked and running an old version of Pixel Experience. I suspect I caused the issue when I installed PE, but it could have happened while installing LOS 18.1.
    • I flashed the stock firmware using munchy_cool's guide here on XDA (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...sh-official-factory-firmware-moto-x4.3808348/).
      • At first, I used the Android One Android 9.0 Pie firmware link in the thread's first post. It flashed without issue, but on start up none of the modems were working (no LTE, WiFi, nothing).
      • Trying again with the most recent firmware (XT1900-1_PAYTON_FI_9.0_PPWS29.69-39-6-13_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC) yielded positive results. The stock image booted, all modems worked and connected, and VoLTE and WiFi both worked without issue.
    • Once everything was confirmed working on stock android, I reinstalled LOS 18.1 following the guide on the LOS website (all steps, including the copy-partitions.zip part) and everything is still working. IMS registration looks good, VoLTE and WFC work, it looks like the problem is totally solved!

ThE_MarD

• Dec 10, 2014
    Grande Prairie
    Heyyo, a new test build is going up! Link as always in the first post. I'm uploading now so it might take up to 30 minutes to appear. lineage-18.1-20210430-UNOFFICIAL-payton contains a flickering screen fix that @Sujanth reported to me

ferrazrafael

• Feb 3, 2013
    Moto actions (fingerprint gestures) in general like enhanced screenshot, quick screenshot (with 3 fingers), or one button nav for example aren't in this ROM. I miss those functions so much...
    You can enable fingerprint gestures and disable onscreen navigation bar at Settings -> System -> Buttons

ferrazrafael

• Feb 3, 2013
    There is any way to enable that feature that tracks if you are looking at the screen and holds the screen on while you don't get your eyes out of it?

jeremywh7

Sep 16, 2013
    Indy
    Heyyo, a new test build is going up! Link as always in the first post. I'm uploading now so it might take up to 30 minutes to appear. lineage-18.1-20210430-UNOFFICIAL-payton contains a flickering screen fix that @Sujanth reported to me
    Fwiw, I installed this (was on the 0406 unofficial) and works fine; though I never noticed a screen flicker issue before anyway. :) While I'm here, can the official build be installed over the unofficial? I recall in other/older devices using a 'migration.zip' for such purposes. Or clean flash only? Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      @maelopam
      If you type "free" in a terminal, for example termux it should show you swap space if you have ZRAM, for me it didn't.
      I guess the fstab entry is just some leftover thing but ZRAM isn't enabled.
      I just used Francos Kernel Manager for testing, you can also set it up to activate it on boot. I'll probably make it for permanent when I'm sure that it "fixes" the problem.
      @ThE_MarD Its possible to turn on the adoptable storage (format SD Card as internal storage) feature in this rom? And enable the zRam swap?

I enabled zRam and it seems to be a positive impact in system responsiveness.

Edit: I looked in another moto x4 3gb with stock ROM and the zram swap feature is on by default. It seems that this phone is supposed to have this feature.
      My phone's mic seems to be very quiet. People can't hear me very well on phone calls, but if I use a headset they can hear me fine. I'm on official RQ2A.210405.005.

@ferrazrafael Because the system kills apps very aggressively if there's 3GB RAM it seems. So even if you stil have free RAM, it will pro-actively kill apps that are not currently in foreground. In addition, even foreground apps can be quite unresponsive (e.g. google maps was super slow), making the phone almost unusable. Adding zram seems to fix these issues.
      @freed_de

It's really easy, you don't need to be afraid.

Kernel Settings --> Memory --> Set zRAM size to 1024 and the switch to on --> Set switch for zRAM sate to on

That's it.
      @maelopam
      I had/have the same problem, do you have the 3GB version as well? I never saw anybody mention it here, so I guessed it may be that most people have the 4GB version and that the Low Memory Killer parameters are optimized for that version.

I "solved" it by using ZRAM 1GB in size, but I have to keep my eye on it because I'm not 100% sure if there aren't still scenarios where it will happen.
      2okPze5.png

Code:
      /*

* Your warranty is now void.

* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,

* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please

* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM

* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if

* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

*/

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Introduction

This is the official Lineage OS thread for the Motorola Moto X4, codename payton.

We support all the T-Mobile, International, and Project Fi variants, as their bootloaders are unlockable, while we can't support the Verizon and AT&T variants, as their bootloaders are permanently locked.

How to install via Lineage Recovery

Please follow the official instructions

How to install via TWRP

1. Boot the newest TWRP .img from the Official TWRP Project Site.
      2. IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
      3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", "Format Data", then type "yes" as prompted.
      4. ADB sideload the newest weekly
      5. (Optionally) You can flash the newest TWRP Installer also found at the Official TWRP Project Site if you wish to maintain TWRP, though the pre-installed Lineage Recovery instance will do everything you need it to in most cases. We don't recommend or support the use of the TWRP installer, as it is overwritten on every update (will need to be re-installed every update), and has no addon.d-v2 persistence.
      6. Click "Reboot", then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
      7. (Optionally) Flash GApps
      8. Reboot

How to upgrade from 17.1 via Lineage Recovery

Please follow the official instructions

How to upgrade from 17.1 via TWRP

1. Boot the newest TWRP .img from the Official TWRP Project Site.
      2. IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
      3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", then select "advanced" and select "cache" and wipe.
      4. ADB sideload the newest weekly build or copy it to your device and install the zip
      5. (Optionally) You can flash the newest TWRP Installer also found at the Official TWRP Project Site if you wish to maintain TWRP, though the pre-installed Lineage Recovery instance will do everything you need it to in most cases. We don't recommend or support the use of the TWRP installer, as it is overwritten on every update (will need to be re-installed every update), and has no addon.d-v2 persistence.
      6. Click "Reboot", then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
      7. (Optionally) Flash GApps
      8. Reboot

Notes

Official Lineage OS builds will not pass CTS/SafetyNet -- due to the AVB flag's "red" status. (Magisk works fine, though is not supported.)
      Official Lineage OS builds ship with full treble compatibility, with VNDK runtime enforcement! This means that unlike most "ported treble" you'll see, ours is just as it would be from the OEM, and can run any GSI (yes, even Pie!) without need for hacks or additional flashable zips. We relabeled /oem as /vendor (as /oem isn't used in custom ROM's anyway). To use a GSI, flash official Lineage, then flash your GSI, it's that simple! Flashing a factory image will likely write over /oem and remove the mock vendor image. Please don't report GSI bugs here, report them instead to the GSI's maker.

Download

Official:

Unofficial test builds:

Google Apps (GApps)

MindTheGapps:

GCam Mods

XDA:DevDB Information

Lineage OS 18.1, ROM for the Moto X4

Contributors

erfanoabdi, ThE_MarD, Lineage Team

Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM Firmware Required: Official Pie
      Heyyo @doug.passerini , I asked other Motorola maintainers and they said that the provided fingerprint kernel drivers are very bare, so it isn't something that would be simple to do as we would need to entirely recreate the driver from scratch and tbh it's well beyond my skill level... o_O
      Heyyo, can anyone with quick charging issues please submit logcat? It's working fine for me, so I'm unsure if maybe your charging blocks are different? We haven't changed anything to do with chargers since 17.1 so it should just work the same as 17.1 did.

@ferrazrafael , that has to do with SafetyNet. Netflix won't natively install on any device that SafetyNet fials on. You will need to either sideload the apk from somewhere or use Magisk Hide and maybe other stuff (I dunno, I don't install any root on my devices as it weakens security as root itself is a security bypass).
      Heyyo @akillenb , reboot options are now under Settings > System > Gestures > Power Menu > Advanced Restart

@WackyDoo the wipe options are for TWRP. Lineage Recovery has Factory Reset options

Also, since official 18.1 builds kicked off? I updated the thread title and first post to include upgrade from 17.1 instructions (y)
      Heyyo, so it turns out Google changed the way attestation works, so Topjohnwu confirmed he needs to update Magisk so that Magisk Hide works again. No point reporting SafetyNet bugs in this thread and just wait for Magisk to be updated.