[OFFICIAL][ROM][PAYTON]LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

ferrazrafael

Feb 3, 2013
@ThE_MarD Its possible to turn on the adoptable storage (format SD Card as internal storage) feature in this rom? And enable the zRam swap?

I enabled zRam and it seems to be a positive impact in system responsiveness.

Edit: I looked in another moto x4 3gb with stock ROM and the zram swap feature is on by default. It seems that this phone is supposed to have this feature.

Attachments

• IMG-20210531-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210531-WA0000.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Sayueri

May 19, 2018
I'm using the latest LOS nightly on a Moto X4 XT1900-1. Also flashed NikGapps Core in TWRP. Came from stock Pie. Process wasn't as complicated as I originally thought it would be. I've installed/used custom roms before but not on the Moto X4. Rom seems stable and haven't noticed any issues so far. Moto X4 is being used as a wifi device so can't comment on volte and others things related to sim.

Reactions: ThE_MarD
D

Deleted member 9129634

My phone's mic seems to be very quiet. People can't hear me very well on phone calls, but if I use a headset they can hear me fine. I'm on official RQ2A.210405.005.

@ferrazrafael Because the system kills apps very aggressively if there's 3GB RAM it seems. So even if you stil have free RAM, it will pro-actively kill apps that are not currently in foreground. In addition, even foreground apps can be quite unresponsive (e.g. google maps was super slow), making the phone almost unusable. Adding zram seems to fix these issues.
I have also the issue that when i call via stock dialer, that the others can't hear me clearly. Temporary fix it to not enable the loudspeaker.

jeremywh7

Sep 16, 2013
Indy
Motorola Atrix 4G
Moto X
Anyone used the FM Radio app? It scans channels fine and has expected results, but if I try to play one, it seems to only feed the microphone input to the output (causing major feedback in most cases).

Update: I was on the 20210511 build and tried updating to 0601 which failed to boot (after ~5min it would reboot into recovery). Also tried 0525; same thing, so I eventually did a clean install of 0601 and (after a forced reboot) got it to boot, and now the FM Radio app works. That was fun... :-|

Last edited:

freed_de

Jul 24, 2018
Hello everybody,

@ThE_MarD Its possible to [...] enable the zRam swap? I enabled zRam and it seems to be a positive impact in system responsiveness.

That would actually pretty perfect. In any case, I can fully confirm the performance difficulties mentioned above.

I just used Francos Kernel Manager for testing, you can also set it up to activate it on boot.

I have too little experience and therefore I don't dare to use such system related apps. Maybe @D1G174L 4C1D can share a detailed description of the correct settings :unsure:

Thanks a lot.
freed_de

EpicGnome

Jun 10, 2021
Just a heads up that casting is totally broken in 18.1-20210608-nightly. I can't cast to my TV or to my Chromecast dongle from any app whatsoever. Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, YouTube, general screen casting. Fairly important feature and I've seen people putting some reports in on Reddit that it may be an overall 18.1 problem. I know there was casting issues in the past but I assumed those were resolved.

It appears there is something wonky with AFWall+ even though I don't have anything casting blocked. When I turn it off casting returns to normal. Weird.

Last edited:

godlessfather

Dec 12, 2013
Anyone used the FM Radio app? It scans channels fine and has expected results, but if I try to play one, it seems to only feed the microphone input to the output (causing major feedback in most cases).

Update: I was on the 20210511 build and tried updating to 0601 which failed to boot (after ~5min it would reboot into recovery). Also tried 0525; same thing, so I eventually did a clean install of 0601 and (after a forced reboot) got it to boot, and now the FM Radio app works. That was fun... :-|
I've never been able to get the FM Radio app to work. If there were a way to make it work, I'd love to know how.

Online Gravy

May 25, 2018
Is there any way to make the navbar hide when an app is open? Similar to extended desktop before it was depreciated. For instance, snapchat is basically unusable with the navbar in the way

freed_de

Jul 24, 2018
@maelopam
I had/have the same problem, do you have the 3GB version as well? I never saw anybody mention it here, so I guessed it may be that most people have the 4GB version and that the Low Memory Killer parameters are optimized for that version.

I "solved" it by using ZRAM 1GB in size, but I have to keep my eye on it because I'm not 100% sure if there aren't still scenarios where it will happen.
The increase in performance is really impressive on my 3GB device.
@ThE_MarD, is there a chance to import the setting into the official branch?

@D1G174L 4C1D, thanks again for that hint. Best regards!

Reactions: Francesco Libera

jeremywh7

Sep 16, 2013
Indy
Motorola Atrix 4G
Moto X
That's all I've ever done. All I get is an echo. I've had the same experience on three Moto X4s coming from stock.
That's the same issue I had until I tried updating to 0601 which failed to boot so had to (finally) do a clean install. It has worked fine ever since, including after updating to 0615 and (just) now 0622. :) Prior to the clean install, I had been switching between (via dirty flashing) several different A11 ROMs for months. The clean install actually fixed a few issues I'd had. Go figure... /facepaw

Online Gravy

May 25, 2018
after flashing 18.1 the mobile network name is "Home" instead of "verizon". it also gets stuck on roaming. not sure whats causing this. ill try to clean flash the system again to see if that fixes it

Last edited:

BERA1985

May 29, 2019
Moto X4
Can someone tell me what's the best option to a light and fast ROM to use on Moto X4?

I'm on Havoc OS, it's a great ROM, but getting slow (and since it's a big OS, I am constantly without memory...)

Is this Lineage 18 a good option?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heyyo, a new test build of LineageOS 18.1 is going up! The upload will be done within 15 minutes and as always, link is in the first post. lineage-18.1-20210709-UNOFFICIAL-payton contains boosts to the speaker in both handpiece and loudspeaker modes and also boosts to the mics as well. It also includes test commits for WFD

Update: I had to lower the speaker volume as I've already gotten reports at max volume there is distortion that wasn't there prior to this test. lineage-18.1-20210709-UNOFFICIAL-payton-test2 has it slightly lowered
    @Tom_Scott , you cannot directly upgrade from 16.1 to 18.1 as that is not supported. You must do a factory reset, flash 18.1, reboot to recovery, flash GApps (arm64) and then reboot to system.

You do not need to flash copy-parititons again if you already did when you installed 16.1 as both slots would already have matching firmware.

Heyyo @payton_fischer1227 :) I just double-checked the official install instructions and it is missing a step after flashing LineageOS ROM you must reboot to recovery and then you can install add-ons like GApps and then reboot to system.

The reason is our device is A/B partitioned, so it always flashes the ROM to the inactive slot and then it tells the bootloader to switch to that slot upon reboot. It is only at that point that it is safe to install add-ons.

I'll have to review the wiki page for Payton installation instructions though, so thanks for the heads up!

Sim card definitely works (or we wouldn't be allowed to go official if we had major bugs like that ;) ) but for uninstalling stock ROM apps? Tbh I wouldn't recommend that as installing ROM updates would reinstall them and also the stock ROM looks for those apps sometimes which can cause issues. It would be safer to install other apps and then set those as your default app for telephone/messenger/etc and then just disable the stock ROM app.

As for systemizer? I have no idea what that mod is, sorry. Hopefully someone else can comment on that
    Heyyo folks! I just got back from a family camping trip so I'll try to catch up on this thread hehe

@Wolf.Kuerschner , the steps I did before on my payton was...

1. reboot to bootloader
    2. fastboot --set-active=a
    3. fastboot reboot bootloader
    4. flash fastboot payton ROM (I did the last Google Fi build since mine is a Google Fi unit, but up to you which one you wish to do as long as it is based on pie. The last Google Fi build was XT1900-1_PAYTON_FI_9.0_PPWS29.69-39-6-13_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC)
    5. fastboot flash boot with Lineage Recovery image
    6. reboot to recovery
    7. adb sideload copy-partitions-20210323_1922.zip
    8. Factory Reset > Format data/factory reset
    9. adb sideload latest LineageOS build for payton
    10. reboot to recovery
    11. (optional, but I did this) adb sideload MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210412_124247.zip
    12. reboot to system
    Those instructions are pretty much the same as the LineageOS Wiki install instructions for payton, except I explicitly mentioned that fastboot stuff for the first four instructions.

The GApps is definitely optional as you can use LineageOS (or any AOSP based custom ROM should be the same too) without any GApps.

Just as the wiki mentions for payton that the adb sideload 47% thing is an AOSP bug. Then it will usually say something like "failed to read command: success" even though it does succeed.

Sometimes LOS Recovery will show failed to read data/media/0 but that's usually only after a factory reset where it formats the userdata partition and if you reboot to recovery before rebooting to system so the partition isn't set up for use.

@payton_fischer1227 glad to hear it's working good for you! Tbh for Digital Welbeing I'm unsure of sorry... if that is important to you, you can always reboot to recovery and try to flash a different GApps package such as Open GApps using arm64 nano or micro

I also re-double-checked the LOS wiki install instructions for payton and they are correct. I didn't notice the "adb reboot sideload" command which tells LOS recovery to reboot and instantly go into sideload for sideloading GApps so the instructions are safe to use there
    How can I determe the slot I am currently booting?
    fastboot getvar current-slot

if you want to switch slots:
    Fastboot set_active a
    or
    Fastboot set_active b

(fastboot reboot)
    Heyyo, a new test build is up! Link as always is in the first post. lineage-18.1-20210724-UNOFFICIAL-payton has more mic boost and speaker boosts to check for any distortion issues or if they're good
    2okPze5.png

Code:
    /*

* Your warranty is now void.

* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,

* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please

* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM

* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if

* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

*/

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Introduction

This is the official Lineage OS thread for the Motorola Moto X4, codename payton.

We support all the T-Mobile, International, and Project Fi variants, as their bootloaders are unlockable, while we can't support the Verizon and AT&T variants, as their bootloaders are permanently locked.

How to install via Lineage Recovery

Please follow the official instructions

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS WITH LINEAGE RECOVERY

Please follow the official LineageOS Wiki instructions for our device

How to install via TWRP

1. Boot the newest TWRP .img from the Official TWRP Project Site.
    2. IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
    3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", "Format Data", then type "yes" as prompted.
    4. ADB sideload the newest weekly
    5. (Optionally) You can flash the newest TWRP Installer also found at the Official TWRP Project Site if you wish to maintain TWRP, though the pre-installed Lineage Recovery instance will do everything you need it to in most cases. We don't recommend or support the use of the TWRP installer, as it is overwritten on every update (will need to be re-installed every update), and has no addon.d-v2 persistence.
    6. Click "Reboot", then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
    7. (Optionally) Flash GApps
    8. Reboot

How to upgrade from 17.1 via Lineage Recovery

Please follow the official instructions

How to upgrade from 17.1 via TWRP

1. Boot the newest TWRP .img from the Official TWRP Project Site.
    2. IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
    3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", then select "advanced" and select "cache" and wipe.
    4. ADB sideload the newest weekly build or copy it to your device and install the zip
    5. (Optionally) You can flash the newest TWRP Installer also found at the Official TWRP Project Site if you wish to maintain TWRP, though the pre-installed Lineage Recovery instance will do everything you need it to in most cases. We don't recommend or support the use of the TWRP installer, as it is overwritten on every update (will need to be re-installed every update), and has no addon.d-v2 persistence.
    6. Click "Reboot", then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
    7. (Optionally) Flash GApps
    8. Reboot

Notes

Official Lineage OS builds will not pass CTS/SafetyNet -- due to the AVB flag's "red" status. (Magisk works fine, though is not supported.)
    Official Lineage OS builds ship with full treble compatibility, with VNDK runtime enforcement! This means that unlike most "ported treble" you'll see, ours is just as it would be from the OEM, and can run any GSI (yes, even Pie!) without need for hacks or additional flashable zips. We relabeled /oem as /vendor (as /oem isn't used in custom ROM's anyway). To use a GSI, flash official Lineage, then flash your GSI, it's that simple! Flashing a factory image will likely write over /oem and remove the mock vendor image. Please don't report GSI bugs here, report them instead to the GSI's maker.

Download

Official:

Unofficial test builds:

Google Apps (GApps)

MindTheGapps:

GCam Mods

XDA:DevDB Information

Lineage OS 18.1, ROM for the Moto X4

Contributors

erfanoabdi, ThE_MarD, Lineage Team

Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM Firmware Required: Official Pie
    Heyyo @doug.passerini , I asked other Motorola maintainers and they said that the provided fingerprint kernel drivers are very bare, so it isn't something that would be simple to do as we would need to entirely recreate the driver from scratch and tbh it's well beyond my skill level... o_O
    Heyyo, can anyone with quick charging issues please submit logcat? It's working fine for me, so I'm unsure if maybe your charging blocks are different? We haven't changed anything to do with chargers since 17.1 so it should just work the same as 17.1 did.

@ferrazrafael , that has to do with SafetyNet. Netflix won't natively install on any device that SafetyNet fials on. You will need to either sideload the apk from somewhere or use Magisk Hide and maybe other stuff (I dunno, I don't install any root on my devices as it weakens security as root itself is a security bypass).
    Heyyo @akillenb , reboot options are now under Settings > System > Gestures > Power Menu > Advanced Restart

@WackyDoo the wipe options are for TWRP. Lineage Recovery has Factory Reset options

Also, since official 18.1 builds kicked off? I updated the thread title and first post to include upgrade from 17.1 instructions (y)
    Heyyo, so it turns out Google changed the way attestation works, so Topjohnwu confirmed he needs to update Magisk so that Magisk Hide works again. No point reporting SafetyNet bugs in this thread and just wait for Magisk to be updated.