[OFFICIAL][ROM][PAYTON]LineageOS 19.1 (Android 12.1)

Search This thread

ThE_MarD

Recognized Developer
Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
2okPze5.png

Code:
/*

* Your warranty is now void.

* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,

* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please

* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM

* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if

* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

*/

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Introduction

This is the official Lineage OS thread for the Motorola Moto X4, codename payton.

We support all the T-Mobile, International, and Project Fi variants, as their bootloaders are unlockable, while we can't support the Verizon and AT&T variants, as their bootloaders are permanently locked.

How to install via Lineage Recovery

Please follow the official instructions

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS WITH LINEAGE RECOVERY

Please follow the official LineageOS Wiki instructions for our device

How to install via TWRP

1. Boot the newest TWRP .img from the Official TWRP Project Site.
  2. IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
  3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", "Format Data", then type "yes" as prompted.
  4. ADB sideload the newest weekly
  5. (Optionally) You can flash the newest TWRP Installer also found at the Official TWRP Project Site if you wish to maintain TWRP, though the pre-installed Lineage Recovery instance will do everything you need it to in most cases. We don't recommend or support the use of the TWRP installer, as it is overwritten on every update (will need to be re-installed every update), and has no addon.d-v2 persistence.
  6. Click "Reboot", then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
  7. (Optionally) Flash GApps
  8. Reboot

How to upgrade from the previous version via Lineage Recovery

How to upgrade from the previous version via TWRP

2. IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
  3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", then select "advanced" and select "cache" and wipe.
  4. ADB sideload the newest weekly build or copy it to your device and install the zip
  5. (Optionally) You can flash the newest TWRP Installer also found at the Official TWRP Project Site if you wish to maintain TWRP, though the pre-installed Lineage Recovery instance will do everything you need it to in most cases. We don't recommend or support the use of the TWRP installer, as it is overwritten on every update (will need to be re-installed every update), and has no addon.d-v2 persistence.
  6. Click "Reboot", then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
  8. Reboot

Notes

Official Lineage OS builds will not pass CTS/SafetyNet -- due to the AVB flag's "red" status. (Magisk works fine, though is not supported.)
Official Lineage OS builds ship with full treble compatibility, with VNDK runtime enforcement! This means that unlike most "ported treble" you'll see, ours is just as it would be from the OEM, and can run any GSI (yes, even Pie!) without need for hacks or additional flashable zips. We relabeled /oem as /vendor (as /oem isn't used in custom ROM's anyway). To use a GSI, flash official Lineage, then flash your GSI, it's that simple! Flashing a factory image will likely write over /oem and remove the mock vendor image. Please don't report GSI bugs here, report them instead to the GSI's maker.

Download

Official:

Unofficial test builds:

Google Apps (GApps)

MindTheGapps:

GCam Mods

Contributors

erfanoabdi, SevenRock, ThE_MarD, Moto sdm660 devs, the Lineage Team

Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM Firmware Required: Official Pie

Last edited:

ThE_MarD

Recognized Developer
Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
Last edited:

ThE_MarD

Recognized Developer
Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4

jtnc

Dec 4, 2012
I decided to take the plunge tonight, waste a few hours and try out the 20220416 test build. So far so good, though I'll grant you I've only had it running for a couple hours. The install going from 18.1 to 19.1 went smooth. I'm not sure if audio will end up a little weak when calling someone. When I did a Voice call from my google number to my phone number, and then played back the message, my voice sounded a bit weak vs the voice mail prompts. I need to try it with a real phone call and see if others think I sound weak.

Apps seem to be running fine so far, though I'm a fairly light user. The only issue I've seen is TWRP 3.5 seems to get stuck in a boot loop when rebooting to recovery from lineageOS 19.1 but didn't when rebooting from TWRP. My new laptop doesn't seem to like fastboot, so I need to try lineage recovery install from another computer and see if that fixes it. I know TWRP isn't officially supporting Android 12 yet, and suspect this isn't an issue with your build. This did prevent me from trying Magisk, so that will need to wait too.

Can't say I'm a fan of the new "Material You" theme. The new quick tiles are annoyingly large. I need to figure out how to get a sound toggle tile to work right. But again, those are general OS issues and nothing to do with the build you did!

I'll see how it fairs over the next couple days and let you know, but so far seems good. Thanks for the build!

jeremywh7

Sep 16, 2013
Indy
Motorola Atrix 4G
Moto X
I installed the 16 Apr build Sun night using NikGapps 13 Apr stock (excluding Pixel Launcher since I'd had issues with it on the prev build) and the Fi add-on. Other than having to clear storage/cache for Conn Services and Fi, everything has been working really well. Setup was much smoother this time, MotoCam2 is really nice, and also no random reboots like on the 22 Mar build.

When upgrading from the 22 Mar to 16 Apr build though, I got a boot loop and had to clean install. I'd had the same issue in the past back when I used the unofficial 18.1. Is this a known issue? Official 18.1 builds never had this problem. I guess next time I'll first try disabling security unlock.

Btw, is this really 12.1 and not 12.0? The phone settings only indicate '12'. :) I used the 'S' gapps and not 'SL', fwiw. Thanks!

jtnc

Dec 4, 2012
The 4/16 build has been running fine for me the last few days. I may need to decrypt to get a working recovery it seems. Other than that the couple things that look like they're missing from settings are:
  • I don't see anywhere to adjust the color palette. It's purely based on wallpaper derived colors. Sounds like stock 12 supports modifying, does lineageOS not? I really don't like having my colors dictated by the wallpaper.
  • Accesibility/Vibration & Haptic strength -- this menu has no haptic strength control despite the name. It'd be nice if it did. I know this has existed in at least some of the past ROMs, though can't recall if that was Havoc or LineageOS.
Otherwise bluetooth, wifi, calling, messaging all seem good as does interaction.

I also ended up using NikGapps 13 simply because that was what I had good luck with on 18.1.

I'm not sure about the bootloop jeremywh7 saw as I went directly from 18.1 to the 0416 19.1 build with a clean install. If there's another test build and once I get a recovery working, I can try doing a dirty flash for an upgrade. I know on 18.1 I was able to dirty flash w/o a problem.

ThE_MarD

Recognized Developer
Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
Heyyo @jeremywh7, LineageOS 19.1 is Android 12.1 so you must use Android 12.1 (12L) GApps which might be your bootloop issue.

The color palette is indeed picked by the wallpaper which is annoying... It thinks my background of my family should mean my color is a skin-colored pink... oof lol

jtnc

Dec 4, 2012
The color palette is indeed picked by the wallpaper which is annoying... It thinks my background of my family should mean my color is a skin-colored pink... oof lol

Yeah, I'd agree that's not a great choice on it's part! So I take it that for LineageOS 19.1 at least it's expected to have no control of this? I was under the impression that with stock Android 12 you could disable the automated picker and manually choose a color which I don't see in 19.1. If true that sounds like going with a 3rd party tool do do so

wkn000

Jan 19, 2017
@ThE_MarD

Congrats!!! First official Lineage OS 19.1 payton build from the roaster :)

My question: Is it safe to dirty flash 19.1 as upgrade from an (last) official build of 18.1 (No GApps installed)? Wait for TWRP 3.6.1_11 or latest 3.6.1_9 is working for that?

Reactions: ThE_MarD

WackyDoo

Mar 29, 2012
Ottawa
I did a factory reset and have flashed the first official build of LOS 19.1. I then immediately sideloaded NikGapps-core-arm64-12.1 before the first boot but I only got the LOS startup dialog, and there doesn't seem to be any Gapps.

I also tried the same proceedure but using MindTheGapps-12.1.0 (20220416), but no still no Gapps.

Are there any tricks for loading Gapps using adb and lineage recovery, or does this only work with TWRP.

WackyDoo

Mar 29, 2012
Ottawa
Immediately, w/o a reboot? You have to reboot into recovery after flashing an A/B ROM (to switch to the newly flashed ROM - #6 in the install steps) before flashing Gapps/etc. ;-)
I was following the upgrade instructions ( https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/payton/upgrade ) since I was coming from the previous version of LineageOS?? The upgrade instructions specifically mention that we should not reboot before flashing extra addons like gapps.

I will try the install instructions linked in the OP later, skipping the unlocking and, I guess, not running the copy_partitions script since I already ran than with the previous ROM.

Last edited:

Whoops!

Feb 2, 2012
Lancashire
I followed the same instructions and got the same result coming from the previous lineage version. I went back into the lineage recovery, reflashed the GAPPS and rebooted. Had a little trouble signing into my Google account as the 2 step authentication notification struggled to come through on the phone. I got around this by setting myself up as another user rather than the "owner". Everything seems to be working OK except the bluetooth connection to my car. The phone is connected and contacts appear on the car dashboard along with the battery and signal strength indicators- but calls don't come through the car - only to the phone's own speaker and microphone.

skiwarz

Jan 31, 2018
I followed the instructions and it updated to 19.1 without issue. Now, though, about every 5 minutes or so I get a "popup" or whatever it's called that says "Intent Filter Verification Service keeps stopping". Somewhat annoying. If I "force stop" the Intent Filter Verification Service app, it stops doing it, obviously. But upon reboot it starts right back up again. I don't have any of the gapps installed, but I do have microg, unsure if that's related. Overall though, it works pretty well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kaidelorenzo

Finway

Mar 17, 2022
To avoid boot loops,
Keep in mind to reboot to recovery between each sideload

Sideload lineage 19
Reboot to recovery
Sideload gapps
Reboot to recovery
Sideload Magisk
Power Off

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Tres_Tigers Yes, the Moto gestures are there. About 5 or 6, most defaulted to Off.

On the bricking: very doubtful. You may get more experience with ADB and Fastboot than you wanted if you do something wrong, but it shouldn't brick.
    Question, are the Moto Gestures still possible after installation of this rom?
    If not, then is there a way for me to add back the shake to activate flashlight?
    It's my favorite moto feature of them all.

And..

Is there any huge risk of bricking like there was with an older Lineage Version for this device?
    I don't want to risk this phone becoming a large unusable paper weight when it could have been used for other things.
    I just did this and can confirm that the shake to turn flashlight on option does work with this.
    Heyyo, thanks fellas! As they said, all Moto actions including the handy chop-chop for flashlight works. ;)

Just follow the installation guides and you'll be safe.

Worst case Ontario and you somehow brick your payton? It's always possible to recover it via blankflash (Motorola's method of QFIL). I've accidentally bricked my payton testing some stuff during the LOS 18.1 bringup for it but I did blankflash and it works again. (y)
    Question for either of you: what was the last build you can remember when Wifi Calling was working normally? Apparently pre-August, but how near? It would also be interesting to hear from anyone using it on an unrelated carrier to see if that ties in somehow.
    [...]
    [...] I do know this device cannot make a call on any AT&T network at all. AT&T doesn't recognize it as having VoLTE, but of course MotoX4 does have VoLTE.
    That's why I switched to Google Fi from ATT last Dec. My wifi calling works fine; sometimes I get a call that isn't wifi (when I'm on wifi), but it does most of the time.
    Edit: forgot to mention - I'm currently on the Aug 23 build.
    P.S. Just to be sure, I can flash update packages while having skipped some update packages in between right?
    Skipping updates works fine for me.
    2okPze5.png

Code:
    /*

* Your warranty is now void.

* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,

* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please

* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM

* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if

* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

*/

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Introduction

This is the official Lineage OS thread for the Motorola Moto X4, codename payton.

We support all the T-Mobile, International, and Project Fi variants, as their bootloaders are unlockable, while we can't support the Verizon and AT&T variants, as their bootloaders are permanently locked.

How to install via Lineage Recovery

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS WITH LINEAGE RECOVERY

Please follow the official LineageOS Wiki instructions for our device

How to install via TWRP

3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", "Format Data", then type "yes" as prompted.
    4. ADB sideload the newest weekly
    8. Reboot

How to upgrade from the previous version via Lineage Recovery

How to upgrade from the previous version via TWRP

3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", then select "advanced" and select "cache" and wipe.
    4. ADB sideload the newest weekly build or copy it to your device and install the zip
    8. Reboot

Notes

Official Lineage OS builds will not pass CTS/SafetyNet -- due to the AVB flag's "red" status. (Magisk works fine, though is not supported.)
    Official Lineage OS builds ship with full treble compatibility, with VNDK runtime enforcement! This means that unlike most "ported treble" you'll see, ours is just as it would be from the OEM, and can run any GSI (yes, even Pie!) without need for hacks or additional flashable zips. We relabeled /oem as /vendor (as /oem isn't used in custom ROM's anyway). To use a GSI, flash official Lineage, then flash your GSI, it's that simple! Flashing a factory image will likely write over /oem and remove the mock vendor image. Please don't report GSI bugs here, report them instead to the GSI's maker.

Download

Official:

Unofficial test builds:

Google Apps (GApps)

MindTheGapps:

GCam Mods

Contributors

erfanoabdi, SevenRock, ThE_MarD, Moto sdm660 devs, the Lineage Team

Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM Firmware Required: Official Pie
    Important extra links

Payton Stock firmware:

Copy partitions link for download can be found on the LineageOS Wiki install instructions for Payton page here:
    Heyyo, a new test build is going up! lineage-19.1-20220416-UNOFFICIAL-payton contains Moto Camera 2 app and fixes for offline charging as well

VERY special thanks to SevenRock for doing the majority of the LOS 19.1 trees for Moto sdm660 and payton (y)
    I only boot to TWRP temporary for "some" operations. Usually, Lineage recovery is installed permanent and has no issues at all with OTA updates done with System Updater. Reboot after update and everything is fine, no thinking about slots and so on.
    @Knuxyl , system_b is flashed with system_other which is just a basic partition flash to prepare it for OTA is all. It isn't a full flash. You'll see in that script that system_a flashes multiple sparse images as Motorola breaks up their system image into multiple files. System_other is 67MB so it's definitely not a full system image. The sparse system images for partition a adds up to 3.31GB.

It's too late in Payton's lifecycle to change a flashall file and expect all users to always use it if they flash fbrom. Besides, copy partitions script works without issues on other A/B partitioned devices so I don't see how it could break payton as I haven't heard of anyone else losing an LTE band by flashing it.

Anyways, I don't see how copy partitions would break any LTE band as those are usually hardware locked, not software locked. You can always try a different region of stock ROM and then run copy partitions and see if something changes?
    Had the same problem losing LTE on my XT1900-7. Flashed to stock with this ROM, which I kept for this purpose: XT1900-7_PAYTON_RETEU_DS_9.0_PPWS29.69-37-2_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip
    I realized that there was still no LTE. Used this one instead: PAYTON_RETAIL_9.0_PPW29.69-40-4_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip
    Now it worked again and I could flash copy partitions and LOS and everything works fine...