[DISCONTINUED][ROM][PAYTON]LineageOS 19.1 (Android 12.1)

Search This thread

Dukenukemx

Jul 24, 2008
Jersey
Anyone experiencing slow downs with this rom after a while? This happened with LineageOS 18 but not as badly. After a week or two of running my Moto X4 starts to get less and less responsive until I reboot it, and then it's fast again.

andyrtr

Aug 24, 2011
Magdeburg
No slowdowns for me.

But I have seen trebuchet kinda hanging in recent app switcher being no more able to open apps. Any then reopened app becomes unresponsive. Forces a hard reboot and happened a few times here so far but is not reproducible.

Finway

Mar 17, 2022
Am I the only one struggling with USB tethering ?
Computers fail to get IP configuration here :/

Knuxyl

May 20, 2009
Google Pixel 5
This does not work with Verizon LTE Band 13. I am able to get 3G connection, but that's all. I used this phone for years with Verizon on stock firmware and no problems, so it's not a compatibility issue.

The rom will not save the selected APN. There are 3, StraightTalk Verizon, Verizon, and XFINITY Mobile. Selecting the correct one, Verizon, shows it is selected, until I close settings and go back into it.

I have also tried changing Preferred network type to many different options. I either get no data or 3G.

I have had this problem before with another Motorola phone. Something about the way Lineage implements this in Motorola phones is broken when it comes to Verizon.

Too bad, I was looking forward to Android 12.

Other than that, rom seems stable for daily use. But the phone cannot be used as a phone with Verizon considering they are switching everything over calls and texts to LTE.

Reactions: Tiggam

skiwarz

Jan 31, 2018
This does not work with Verizon LTE Band 13. I am able to get 3G connection, but that's all. I used this phone for years with Verizon on stock firmware and no problems, so it's not a compatibility issue.

The rom will not save the selected APN. There are 3, StraightTalk Verizon, Verizon, and XFINITY Mobile. Selecting the correct one, Verizon, shows it is selected, until I close settings and go back into it.

I have also tried changing Preferred network type to many different options. I either get no data or 3G.

I have had this problem before with another Motorola phone. Something about the way Lineage implements this in Motorola phones is broken when it comes to Verizon.

Too bad, I was looking forward to Android 12.

Other than that, rom seems stable for daily use. But the phone cannot be used as a phone with Verizon considering they are switching everything over calls and texts to LTE.
I've been having issues on verizon as well, though not sure if it's the same band. Mine will switch networks to an invalid network when I have a poor signal, then not switch back until I manually select the right apn. Have you tried messing with the apns-conf.xml file at all? I'm playing around with it with varying degrees of success... If I find one that works I'll post it

Knuxyl

May 20, 2009
Google Pixel 5
I've been having issues on verizon as well, though not sure if it's the same band. Mine will switch networks to an invalid network when I have a poor signal, then not switch back until I manually select the right apn. Have you tried messing with the apns-conf.xml file at all? I'm playing around with it with varying degrees of success... If I find one that works I'll post it
No, messing with system stuff has been a pita for like the last 3-4 android revisions so i dont mess with it.
The APN looks fine but I didnt dig into it. Considering the phone refuses to save the selected APN leads me to believe it's broken in the use of the APN, not the APN itself. There's not much to an APN anyways. For regular verizon, it should be VZWINTERNET. I had this problem with a ZTE Axon 7 and an earlier Moto E series phone.
There is an option in my account to activate the phone, but it is my backup phone and I've never needed to do that when switching phones, which I've done a lot.
From what you are saying, I would guess ur connecting to the 41/66? band and 13 isnt working. The phone supports it on other roms, so it's not a hardware issue. I have no idea how they couldve broken a specific LTE band but that seems to be what is happening, which would explain the screwy APN stuff for me. Even after updating Carrier Services from the play store it doesn't work. It's not behaving like it can't properly communicate through the LTE, it's behaving as though the phone doesn't support LTE, seemingly just band 13.

The best thing to do is probably get the latest modem firmware from the stock packages and flash that because Lineage might be bundling in some global firmware that doesnt support our bands. The file is NON-HLOS.bin. Might be best to grab the VZW one too because iirc they are the same phone, just bootloader locked.
I might do this later and let you know how it goes.

rseiler

Jun 24, 2012
The APN looks fine but I didnt dig into it. Considering the phone refuses to save the selected APN leads me to believe it's broken in the use of the APN, not the APN itself.

I don't have Verizon, but the one I do use (in Canada) requires an APN. I'm hoping what you're saying about the APN is some kind of fluke and not a general problem with the use of any APN on this ROM, because if you can't save them I could save myself a lot of trouble and stay on the OEM ROM.

Does anyone know?

Knuxyl

May 20, 2009
Google Pixel 5
@rseiler @skiwarz

I tested flashing NON-HLOS.bin and it did not work. And I was wrong, there is no VZW variant of this phone.

However I did fix my issue. There was something wrong with the system_b or oem partition, I'm guessing it was outdated. Or there is something wrong with the copy-partitions zip that is linked in official lineageos guide. Because it's a possibility I didn't even use it because the stock firmware occupied system_b and oem.

These are the steps I took to restore LTE to the device on LOS 19.1
1) Download "PAYTON_RETAIL_9.0_PPW29.69-40-4_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip"
note - this is the latest release for any version of the phone and is interchangeable with other versions like fi/android one. so flash this file specifically because no other version has this latest version of the firmware
https://mirrors-obs-2.lolinet.com/firmware/motorola/2017/payton/official/RETAIL/
2) Boot the phone to bootloader/fastboot and flash this firmware
note - if you still insist on using a different firmware you will need to check the flashfile.xml for what commands to run, filenames and partitions may be different than below.
Code:
fastboot.exe getvar max-sparse-size
fastboot.exe oem fb_mode_set
fastboot.exe flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot.exe flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot.exe flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot.exe flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot.exe flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
fastboot.exe flash dsp dspso.bin
fastboot.exe flash logo logo.bin
fastboot.exe flash boot boot.img
fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
fastboot.exe flash system_b system_other.img
fastboot.exe flash oem oem.img
fastboot.exe erase carrier
fastboot.exe erase userdata
fastboot.exe erase ddr
fastboot.exe oem fb_mode_clear
fastboot.exe reboot bootloader
3) Boot the phone and get past initial setup. Signing into Google is not required.
note - This may not be required. I tested without booting it and went straight to flash LOS and it worked but I didn't test mobile connectivity/didnt use sim car
4) Turn off phone and boot into bootloader/fastboot
5) Flash the lineage recovery
Code:
fastboot flash boot lineage-19.1-20220517-recovery-payton.img
6) Reboot directly into recovery either by the bootloader menu menu or fasboot
note - i havent test doing it by fasboot, but should work
Code:
fastboot reboot recovery
7) Perform Factory Reset
8) Apply Update, From ADB, and flash the lineageos system image
note - DO NOT flash the copy-partitions zip from the documentation. This file can cause a lot of issues with modem drivers or mobile network connectivity
Code:
adb sideload lineage-19.1-20220517-nightly-payton-signed.zip
[OPTIONAL] Reboot phone to recovery to flash gapps and magisk BEFORE booting lineage for the first time. You need a reboot before flashing anything else so that recovery can initialize/load the new LOS data.

Now the phone will be able to connect to the VZW LTE networks. After initial setup, lineage disables mobile data automatically. You need to go into settings and re-enable mobile data.

Last edited:

rseiler

Jun 24, 2012
@rseiler @skiwarz

However I did fix my issue. There was something wrong with the oem partition, I'm guessing it was outdated. Or there is something wrong with the copy-partitions zip that is linked in official lineageos guide. Because it's a possibility I didn't even use it because the stock firmware occupied system_b and oem

note - DO NOT flash the copy-partitions zip from the documentation

The purpose of that small (and over year-old) archive file is:

"In some cases, the inactive slot can be unpopulated or contain much older firmware than the active slot, leading to various issues including a potential hard-brick. We can ensure none of that will happen by copying the contents of the active slot to the inactive slot."

But using it might prevent you from saving an APN. That would seem to make for a bit of a rock and a hard place for others who come along. Not doing it worked for you, but I'm not sure that's a risk many will take. Is there maybe a way to examine whatever these slots are ahead of time to determine if the conditions they're talking about exist? If so, how?

Reactions: jmichael2497

Knuxyl

May 20, 2009
Google Pixel 5
The purpose of that small (and over year-old) archive file is:

"In some cases, the inactive slot can be unpopulated or contain much older firmware than the active slot, leading to various issues including a potential hard-brick. We can ensure none of that will happen by copying the contents of the active slot to the inactive slot."

But using it might prevent you from saving an APN. That would seem to make for a bit of a rock and a hard place for others who come along. Not doing it worked for you, but I'm not sure that's a risk many will take. Is there maybe a way to examine whatever these slots are ahead of time to determine if the conditions they're talking about exist? If so, how?
The problem I'm assuming is if someone had come from an older stock Android version that did not have the system_b or oem partition setup. This isn't needed when using a new stock image, and you can verify that by looking at the flashfile.xml that comes with the firmware and see if it flashes these two partitions.
I know of no way of checking if it is populated except successfully flashing it.
And the reason I believe it is causing issues is because I have flashed my X4 with stock firmware that did flash those partitions, so technically the only difference between what I did prior and this time was not flashing the copy partition. I think it might actually cause more problems than it fixes when used against an older lineage version, or it just isn't copying correctly for compatibility with Android 12.
The best thing to do would be to follow the steps I took.

And I don't think the problem is it not letting you save the APN, the problem is it just isn't communicating with the modem correctly due to invalid drivers copied from the copy partition zip., so it doesn't save an APN. I believe that's just the effect, not the cause.

There is no risk not flashing the copy partition zip. I know what the zip is supposed to be doing and why. It just isn't working properly, the reason is irrelevant. As long as the stock firmware flashes the system_b and oem partition, and you followed the steps above, then it will work just fine. I'm not sure where you are getting this idea of a "risk", it makes no sense. If you're already flashing the phone, then no harm could be done?

@Dukenukemx
Yes VoLTE works. but I suggest following my steps above for flashing because the steps in the lineage wiki can cause issues, specifically related to this. Only difference is flashing a stock firmware first and not flashing their copy partitions zip

Last edited:
Reactions: Dukenukemx

rseiler

Jun 24, 2012
And I don't think the problem is it not letting you save the APN, the problem is it just isn't communicating with the modem correctly due to invalid drivers copied from the copy partition zip., so it doesn't save an APN. I believe that's just the effect, not the cause.

There is no risk not flashing the copy partition zip. I know what the zip is supposed to be doing and why. It just isn't working properly, the reason is irrelevant. As long as the stock firmware flashes the system_b and oem partition, and you followed the steps above, then it will work just fine. I'm not sure where you are getting this idea of a "risk", it makes no sense. If you're already flashing the phone, then no harm could be done?

Appreciate the explanation. By risk I was just thinking of the scenario of not taking the extra step that you did of flashing stock but also not doing copy-partitions (the procedure mentioned of the possibility of hard-brick in that case). It's too bad there isn't an easy way to check the partition status, because doing stock is a significant detour and is one that few will know since it's not part of the Lineage page. If copy-partitions is broadly problematic these days for whatever reason, it would be important to know that there's an alternative. Especially if having had older versions on the phone at one time is involved.

With the X4, I think we all came from older stock Android, either v7 or v8, and that the phone was never shipped with v9--everyone upgraded to it. And I imagine most did it the automatic way, which wouldn't change the partition situation. I see now the purpose of what you're doing: to remove all doubt about the partitions.

kcv_earner

Apr 25, 2019
21st Century
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto X4
I learned in the U.S. that ATT has blocked receivng/making phone calls on this device. However, T-Mobile does currently allow voice calls. I had the experience with the same MVNO, they shipped me a sim card for both networks and only the TM sim works for phone calls. I have LOS 19.1 installed on the moto x4 and no apparent problems. Party on!

rseiler

Jun 24, 2012
I flashed lineage 12.1 released today.
The only issue I have is that some apps have been blocked in Play Store:
Star+ / Netflix
This happened to me in android 11, but just when I flashed magisk.
This time I just flashed lineage + mindthegapps

What you're saying seems to read as Magisk causing that problem in 11 ("just when I flashed magisk"), when it's supposed to be the solution to the problem. Maybe I'm misreading you, but I don't think that not using it now with 12.1 and seeing the problem is a surprise, since the SafetyNet feature is a fact of life with some apps.

The question becomes is it possible to try Magisk with 12.1 after you've already booted 12.1. The install instructions for our ROM only call out Gapps specifically, so I'm not sure, but a post just a couple up from here makes me think that you can't (or at least shouldn't).

woodpe

Jan 2, 2022
I'm using 12.1. After the first boot I installed magisk.apk , renamed it to magisk.zip and installed it in Lineagerecovery (Apply update) ....
Everything works fine.

Reactions: rseiler

rseiler

Jun 24, 2012
@rseiler @skiwarz

However I did fix my issue. There was something wrong with the system_b or oem partition, I'm guessing it was outdated. Or there is something wrong with the copy-partitions zip that is linked in official lineageos guide. Because it's a possibility I didn't even use it because the stock firmware occupied system_b and oem.

I wasn't looking for this but happened across it and thought it worth bringing up since it mentions _b:

This is an issue when using LineageOS recovery on the X4. It can’t find the vendor_b partition when coming from stock. You need to use TWRP recovery on the initial install.

I have to wonder now if TWRP is or isn't the way to go in general despite the official instructions, since that answer seems pretty definitive, though this was in the 18.1 era and maybe something pertaining to this has changed since.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

Code:
    /*

* Your warranty is now void.

* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,

* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please

* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM

* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if

* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

*/

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Introduction

This is the official Lineage OS thread for the Motorola Moto X4, codename payton.

We support all the T-Mobile, International, and Project Fi variants, as their bootloaders are unlockable, while we can't support the Verizon and AT&T variants, as their bootloaders are permanently locked.

How to install via Lineage Recovery

Please follow the official instructions

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS WITH LINEAGE RECOVERY

Please follow the official LineageOS Wiki instructions for our device

How to install via TWRP

1. Boot the newest TWRP .img from the Official TWRP Project Site.
    2. IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
    3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", "Format Data", then type "yes" as prompted.
    4. ADB sideload the newest weekly
    5. (Optionally) You can flash the newest TWRP Installer also found at the Official TWRP Project Site if you wish to maintain TWRP, though the pre-installed Lineage Recovery instance will do everything you need it to in most cases. We don't recommend or support the use of the TWRP installer, as it is overwritten on every update (will need to be re-installed every update), and has no addon.d-v2 persistence.
    6. Click "Reboot", then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
    7. (Optionally) Flash GApps
    8. Reboot

How to upgrade from the previous version via Lineage Recovery

Please follow the official instructions

How to upgrade from the previous version via TWRP

1. Boot the newest TWRP .img from the Official TWRP Project Site.
    2. IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
    3. In TWRP, click "Wipe", then select "advanced" and select "cache" and wipe.
    4. ADB sideload the newest weekly build or copy it to your device and install the zip
    5. (Optionally) You can flash the newest TWRP Installer also found at the Official TWRP Project Site if you wish to maintain TWRP, though the pre-installed Lineage Recovery instance will do everything you need it to in most cases. We don't recommend or support the use of the TWRP installer, as it is overwritten on every update (will need to be re-installed every update), and has no addon.d-v2 persistence.
    6. Click "Reboot", then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
    7. (Optionally) Flash GApps
    8. Reboot

Notes

Official Lineage OS builds will not pass CTS/SafetyNet -- due to the AVB flag's "red" status. (Magisk works fine, though is not supported.)
    Official Lineage OS builds ship with full treble compatibility, with VNDK runtime enforcement! This means that unlike most "ported treble" you'll see, ours is just as it would be from the OEM, and can run any GSI (yes, even Pie!) without need for hacks or additional flashable zips. We relabeled /oem as /vendor (as /oem isn't used in custom ROM's anyway). To use a GSI, flash official Lineage, then flash your GSI, it's that simple! Flashing a factory image will likely write over /oem and remove the mock vendor image. Please don't report GSI bugs here, report them instead to the GSI's maker.

Download

Official:

Unofficial test builds:

Google Apps (GApps)

MindTheGapps:

GCam Mods

Contributors

erfanoabdi, SevenRock, ThE_MarD, Moto sdm660 devs, the Lineage Team

Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM Firmware Required: Official Pie
    Important extra links

Payton Stock firmware:

Copy partitions link for download can be found on the LineageOS Wiki install instructions for Payton page here:
    Heyyo, a new test build is going up! lineage-19.1-20220416-UNOFFICIAL-payton contains Moto Camera 2 app and fixes for offline charging as well

VERY special thanks to SevenRock for doing the majority of the LOS 19.1 trees for Moto sdm660 and payton (y)
    @rseiler @skiwarz

I tested flashing NON-HLOS.bin and it did not work. And I was wrong, there is no VZW variant of this phone.

These are the steps I took to restore LTE to the device on LOS 19.1
    1) Download "PAYTON_RETAIL_9.0_PPW29.69-40-4_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip"
    note - this is the latest release for any version of the phone and is interchangeable with other versions like fi/android one. so flash this file specifically because no other version has this latest version of the firmware
    https://mirrors-obs-2.lolinet.com/firmware/motorola/2017/payton/official/RETAIL/
    2) Boot the phone to bootloader/fastboot and flash this firmware
    note - if you still insist on using a different firmware you will need to check the flashfile.xml for what commands to run, filenames and partitions may be different than below.
    Code:
    fastboot.exe getvar max-sparse-size
    fastboot.exe oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot.exe flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot.exe flash bootloader bootloader.img
    fastboot.exe flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot.exe flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot.exe flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
    fastboot.exe flash dsp dspso.bin
    fastboot.exe flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot.exe flash boot boot.img
    fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
    fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
    fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
    fastboot.exe flash system_b system_other.img
    fastboot.exe flash oem oem.img
    fastboot.exe erase carrier
    fastboot.exe erase userdata
    fastboot.exe erase ddr
    fastboot.exe oem fb_mode_clear
    fastboot.exe reboot bootloader
    3) Boot the phone and get past initial setup. Signing into Google is not required.
    note - This may not be required. I tested without booting it and went straight to flash LOS and it worked but I didn't test mobile connectivity/didnt use sim car
    4) Turn off phone and boot into bootloader/fastboot
    5) Flash the lineage recovery
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot lineage-19.1-20220517-recovery-payton.img
    6) Reboot directly into recovery either by the bootloader menu menu or fasboot
    note - i havent test doing it by fasboot, but should work
    Code:
    fastboot reboot recovery
    7) Perform Factory Reset
    8) Apply Update, From ADB, and flash the lineageos system image
    note - DO NOT flash the copy-partitions zip from the documentation. This file can cause a lot of issues with modem drivers or mobile network connectivity
    Code:
    adb sideload lineage-19.1-20220517-nightly-payton-signed.zip
    [OPTIONAL] Reboot phone to recovery to flash gapps and magisk BEFORE booting lineage for the first time. You need a reboot before flashing anything else so that recovery can initialize/load the new LOS data.

Now the phone will be able to connect to the VZW LTE networks. After initial setup, lineage disables mobile data automatically. You need to go into settings and re-enable mobile data.
    I only boot to TWRP temporary for "some" operations. Usually, Lineage recovery is installed permanent and has no issues at all with OTA updates done with System Updater. Reboot after update and everything is fine, no thinking about slots and so on.