• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Official statement from Google regarding the Cyanogen controvery

Search This thread

NSGJDAWG

Aug 27, 2009
Akron
Ok so this is what I'm understanding is. We cannot download any new roms from cyan correct?

But if we have the zip files we can still update the phone?

So basically we can do everything ourselves just can't host it on the web for others?

So what I'm trying to say is everything would have to be underground right?

tr.slate

Jan 26, 2009
Austin
Ok so this is what I'm understanding is. We cannot download any new roms from cyan correct?

So basically we can do everything ourselves just can't host it on the web for others?

But it shouldnt have to be underground. Thats the point.

prince.siraj

Feb 18, 2009
Loma Linda

yahoo groups? or email... but that's far-fetched and ridiculous, let alone impossible

Last edited:

G1-evolve

Mar 13, 2009
Chicago

Exactly. Cyan dont give up... ill donate... hell we will ALL donate.. >_<

redmdc

Jul 15, 2009
Trust me I work in I.T in a law society and there's is no way if you distribute an open source rom with a script which could then download these free google apps and give directions to the donut extras its not possible to ever be prosecuted for this as ur not providing these apps with ur download and as to the leaked dohnut material u could easily bypass this by not hosting this urself as a developer and just using word of mouthwhere u could obtain this from. Then its up to the user not the dev

Z҉A҉L҉G҉O̚̕̚

Jul 3, 2009
www.last.fm

Seems like it.
Time to start posting torrents on The Pirate Bay, Demonoid. And links to Rapidshare, and Megaupload.

bradycl_84043

Sep 24, 2009
Maybe this is naive, or the powers that be would just find another way to call it illegal, but how about instead of distributing the closed source apps, the installer could copy them to the SD card then copy them back after installing the ROM.

Instead of redistributing the apps, just copy out and then copy back in the apps that we all received legally from Google in the first place?

Tomrade

Sep 26, 2009
The N900 looks mighty good right now, so do Limo phones( remember they looked to battle it out with android but googles branding won) Maemo should be much more open as its based on existing gnu/linux, including GTK/QT gnome etc

and also mobile firefox!

prince.siraj

Feb 18, 2009
Loma Linda
Yeah, nothing from any of those will ever be flashed onto my phone. god only know what sort of infectious crapper-ware it would load you with.

I still think a boycott for one day would go a long way...

i've downloaded from there... and destroyed everything i ever used from it... but the downloads were safe and didn't have malware unless an unknown user/developer put it on, so if someone trusted like cyanogen, drizzy, haykuro, jesusfreke, put uploads there it should be fine...

commandar

Jun 17, 2009
I know one thing, I personally feel let down by Google. As such, I'll be using alternatives for anything and everything I can. Bing has become default, I just signed up for a Zoho account and hope to integrate my custom domain into that rather than Google Docs. My employees have nipped at me constantly for Microsoft Exchange, so I just got us an account with 1&1 for mail. And IT just blocked YouTube at our workplace. I'm sure I'll think of other things necessary to remove Google from our stable or resources.

I've read their stance. I understand the licensing of the Google apps. I even see where they are coming from (to a point). I still feel betrayed.

And that's really the best thing you can do. If you're in a position that you are an IT decision maker for a business, let Google know that this kind of behavior has a direct, negative impact on your use of their other products.

sasa3791

Aug 8, 2009
Novo Naselje
Cyanogen / Google Update - Waiting for lawyers

this is Simon Walker's Print E-mail (friend of Cy)

I just spoke briefly with Cyaongen and he said:

"I don’t really want to talk about it much right now.. I’m talking with their PR counsel and hopefully we can sort this out.
The issues raised was that I specifically target google-experienced devices, and asked it if was considered redistribution since these devices are already licensed for the apps.
Yeah, lawyers are taking their time, they said it’s being discussed internally and I should have an answer soon
."

Hope all goes well Cyanogen. We are all with ya!

Z҉A҉L҉G҉O̚̕̚

Jul 3, 2009
www.last.fm
Yeah, nothing from any of those will ever be flashed onto my phone. god only know what sort of infectious crapper-ware it would load you with.

I still think a boycott for one day would go a long way...

Word from someone who actually uses torrets: There's probably a 1% of actually getting a trojan, virus, etc from a torrent. And besides if Cyanogen creates a TPB/Demonoid account only his files will be posted under his account.

zomgfast

Sep 22, 2009
Everyone, right now, go and turn off the function that shares information with Google on your G1. That is a step in the direction of really making Android not worth it for them. Because right now as it stands, Android will not be worth it for me.

Yeah, I think google will notice if 30,000 people all do this at once. :p

Also, be sure to call tmo and tell them that even if you are not canceling service, that you will be telling everyone you know to stay as far away from their android devices as possible.

tmobilewinguser

Jul 14, 2007
Long Live CyanogenMod

this is a turn for the worse in the android community wouldnt this cease and desist eventualy catch up to the rest of the devs since there roms also include apps like gmail google talk and im. correct me if im wrong cuz i dont wanna see the android community go down hill just because google.

markimar

Apr 18, 2009
Maybe google ought to look inside instead of outside thier company. Since they have an employee who is breaching thier contract with thier own company by leaking source codes.....

NSGJDAWG

Aug 27, 2009
Akron
Seems like it.
Time to start posting torrents on The Pirate Bay, Demonoid. And links to Rapidshare, and Megaupload.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I mean I bout this phone and signed a 2 year contract just so I could tether. But then I found out everything else I could do. Its crazy lol. But I'm not about to stop modding my phone. They got me messed up!

But if someone uploaded all things how are they gonna stop people from downloading? Its just like downloading music. Yes I no its illegal... but its the same concept lol

prince.siraj

Feb 18, 2009
Loma Linda
this is a turn for the worse in the android community wouldnt this cease and desist eventualy catch up to the rest of the devs since there roms also include apps like gmail google talk and im. correct me if im wrong cuz i dont wanna see the android community go down hill just because google.

It will also catch up to Google because they got lots of developers on board and users like me who sure wouldn't mind giving feedback and making Android good... because when my phone was unrooted i sure wanted my cousin's iphone... but then the Hero builds got good and my G1 just shot straight up past the iphone... but yes it's only the loss for Google in the end because users make software popular, makes companies look good so if they don't have those users, especially XDA's kind of users, to use their software and also give feedback, they won't be winning.