[OFFICIAL&TESTS]TWRP for the Asus Zenfone 5z (zs620kl)

Search This thread

ThE_MarD

Recognized Developer
Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
TWRP-Feature-Image-810x298_c.png
Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about doing this to your device
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch-driven user interface, with no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML-driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
Onscreen keyboard
Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. This engine will be put to use immediately in the GooManager app. GooManager will be able to install recoveries automatically for most supported devices. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open-source project.

Source Code:

GitHub - https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery

Gerrit Instance - http://gerrit.twrp.me

If you have made your own TWRP build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of unofficial builds. Bear in mind that we are working hard to add more devices and we may add your device to our official build list later.

This is for OFFICIAL and BETA builds of TWRP for the Asus Zenfone 5z (Z01RD, zs620kl)

Device Config:

Stable Downloads:

Test Downloads:

Installation:
  1. Backup everything important off of your device
  2. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked
  3. Download the recovery image (and optionally the TWRP installer zip) from above
  4. Reboot into bootloader
  5. Run this command (Change the .img to whatever the name of the file is you downloaded):
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot twrp-3.7.0_12-0-Z01RD.img
  6. NOTE, If you're coming from stock ROM to custom ROM? You MUST format data (wiping data won't work) to remove stock ROM encryption. Wipe > "Format Data" Button > Type "yes" > Keyboard checkbox
  7. (Optional instructions from this point on) Wipe cache and system and then Install the ROM of your choice
  8. Install TWRP installer zip
  9. Reboot to recovery
  10. Install GApps
  11. Reboot to system

Upgrade / Reinstall TWRP instructions
  1. Download desired TWRP installer zip version
  2. Reboot to recovery
  3. Select Install
  4. Tap on install and select the TWRP installer zip you downloaded from step one
  5. Reboot to recovery and confirm that the updated version of TWRP is installed

Nandroid backup/restore
  1. Have an available microSD Card or USB OTG drive
  2. Backup boot, dtbo, system image, vendor image and data (optionally any other partitions you want a backup of) to your external storage device of choice
  3. Once you wish to restore? Reboot to TWRP and format data (Wipe > "format data" button > type yes > keyboard checkbox)
  4. Reboot to TWRP
  5. Restore boot, dtbo, system image and vendor image
  6. Reboot to system
  7. Once it boots to the system without issues? Do not set any lockscreen security and reboot to TWRP
  8. Restore data
  9. Reboot to system
  10. After it finishes boot? Your data and ROM will be restored but sometimes the UI might be incorrect, so reboot to the system again

For the TEST builds of TWRP? Please let me know if this works. If so? I will submit it to Gerrit for official updates.

Credits:
  • bigbiff for helping me get set up on gerrit.twrp.me for official status and updating official TWRP
  • JackEage for working on TWRP for this device
  • All the users who tested my builds of TWRP
  • Anyone who worked on the open-source kernel of this device

Last edited:

ThE_MarD

Recognized Developer
Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
So the next build of official TWRP for Z01RD will include vendor wiping since it seems that the modified prebuilt vendor image flashing can sometimes break the vendor partition for future flashing.

Last edited:

fastrespawn

Sep 19, 2021
Installation:
  1. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked
  2. Download the recovery image (and optionally the TWRP installer zip) from above
  3. Reboot into bootloader
  4. Run this command (Change the .img to whatever the name of the file is you downloaded):
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot twrp-3.5.2_10-1-Z01RD.img
  5. (Optional instructions from this point on) Install ROM of choice
  6. Install TWRP installer zip
  7. Reboot to recovery
  8. Install GApps
  9. Reboot to system

I did steps 1-4 in an unlocked bootloader zenfone 5z. After flashing TWRP, my phone is stuck in either TWRP or fastboot; and TWRP can't mount any storage so adb loading firmware isn't possible.
Is there a way to recover from this?
Phone can only receive fasboot commands and TWRP non storage commands

ThE_MarD

Recognized Developer
Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
Heyyo @fastrespawn , you will need to format data in TWRP as stock ROM uses Full Disk Encryption and on custom ROMs like LineageOS we use the newer File-Based Encryption.

Wipe > "Format Data" Button > Type "yes" > Keyboard checkbox

Then wipe Cache and system and reboot to recovery and you're ready to flash a custom ROM.

I've expanded the instructions to mention this

fastrespawn

Sep 19, 2021
Heyyo @fastrespawn , you will need to format data in TWRP as stock ROM uses Full Disk Encryption and on custom ROMs like LineageOS we use the newer File-Based Encryption.

Then wipe Cache and system and reboot to recovery and you're ready to flash a custom ROM.

Thank you!

Reactions: ThE_MarD

ThE_MarD

Recognized Developer
Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
Heyyo @JuanTamqd21 , there is a bug in the touchscreen firmware updater in the kernel, so on LineageOS tbh I just disabled it as I've heard zero touchscreen complaints from any Z01R user that came to LOS from ZenUI Q .123 build as that is the last device firmware for Z01R. You can try rebooting to TWRP again or wait a few minutes then tap the power button a few times and sometimes that will get the touchscreen working. Otherwise? Ask the maintainer of that ROM to also do the same thing I did.

JuanTamqd21

Account currently disabled
Heyyo @JuanTamqd21 , there is a bug in the touchscreen firmware updater in the kernel, so on LineageOS tbh I just disabled it as I've heard zero touchscreen complaints from any Z01R user that came to LOS from ZenUI Q .123 build as that is the last device firmware for Z01R. You can try rebooting to TWRP again or wait a few minutes then tap the power button a few times and sometimes that will get the touchscreen working. Otherwise? Ask the maintainer of that ROM to also do the same thing I did.

thanks for the guide. I will try it now

Reactions: ThE_MarD

ThE_MarD

Recognized Developer
Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWRP-Feature-Image-810x298_c.png
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about doing this to your device
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch-driven user interface, with no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML-driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
    XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
    Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
    Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
    Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
    Onscreen keyboard
    Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. This engine will be put to use immediately in the GooManager app. GooManager will be able to install recoveries automatically for most supported devices. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open-source project.

Source Code:

GitHub - https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery

Gerrit Instance - http://gerrit.twrp.me

If you have made your own TWRP build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of unofficial builds. Bear in mind that we are working hard to add more devices and we may add your device to our official build list later.

This is for OFFICIAL and BETA builds of TWRP for the Asus Zenfone 5z (Z01RD, zs620kl)

Device Config:

Stable Downloads:

Test Downloads:

Installation:
    1. Backup everything important off of your device
    2. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked
    3. Download the recovery image (and optionally the TWRP installer zip) from above
    4. Reboot into bootloader
    5. Run this command (Change the .img to whatever the name of the file is you downloaded):
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot twrp-3.7.0_12-0-Z01RD.img
    6. NOTE, If you're coming from stock ROM to custom ROM? You MUST format data (wiping data won't work) to remove stock ROM encryption. Wipe > "Format Data" Button > Type "yes" > Keyboard checkbox
    7. (Optional instructions from this point on) Wipe cache and system and then Install the ROM of your choice
    8. Install TWRP installer zip
    9. Reboot to recovery
    10. Install GApps
    11. Reboot to system

Upgrade / Reinstall TWRP instructions
    1. Download desired TWRP installer zip version
    2. Reboot to recovery
    3. Select Install
    4. Tap on install and select the TWRP installer zip you downloaded from step one
    5. Reboot to recovery and confirm that the updated version of TWRP is installed

Nandroid backup/restore
    1. Have an available microSD Card or USB OTG drive
    2. Backup boot, dtbo, system image, vendor image and data (optionally any other partitions you want a backup of) to your external storage device of choice
    3. Once you wish to restore? Reboot to TWRP and format data (Wipe > "format data" button > type yes > keyboard checkbox)
    4. Reboot to TWRP
    5. Restore boot, dtbo, system image and vendor image
    6. Reboot to system
    7. Once it boots to the system without issues? Do not set any lockscreen security and reboot to TWRP
    8. Restore data
    9. Reboot to system
    10. After it finishes boot? Your data and ROM will be restored but sometimes the UI might be incorrect, so reboot to the system again

For the TEST builds of TWRP? Please let me know if this works. If so? I will submit it to Gerrit for official updates.

Credits:
    • bigbiff for helping me get set up on gerrit.twrp.me for official status and updating official TWRP
    • JackEage for working on TWRP for this device
    • All the users who tested my builds of TWRP
    • Anyone who worked on the open-source kernel of this device
    twrp-3.6.0_11.0-Z01RD-test18-UNOFFICIAL is up! Contains fixes for the Boot Control HAL so that flashing ROM images will work correctly and properly switch to inactive partition upon reboot plus the decryption and other updates from test17

Thank you!

thanks for the guide. I will try it now