[CLOSED][OFFICIAL] TWRP 3.4.0-0 | Team Win Recovery Project | Nokia 7.2 | Daredevil |

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
Apr 13, 2016
twrp installed but cannot use via touchscreen

Hello. I have a TA-1196 and installed twrp. I boot into it but the touch screen does not respond to any command. Othewise the phone boot normally. I need help.

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Hi, I tried to flash this TWRP 2 times, and in all cases the touch does not work. Nokia 7.2 TA-1196. Any ideas how to fix this?

Same happens to me. Same model. Did you solve it?

overclockA

Jan 28, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm stuck at using TWRP on my nokia 7.2 with version TA-1196 (firmware 00WW_1_400) because of the following issues:

• I can't boot the TWRP-image directly, the device simply restarts at every time.

• There is no "recovery" partition, so I flashed the image to the boot-partition (which actually works, but no chance of booting android again.

• If I try to "install" via TWRP, I get the error "unable to mount storage" but I can access the files on /system by browsing via the file manager - still the used place on my internal storage is shown.

So I read the discussion here, but I don't know how to handle the Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_08.18.2019.zip? Do I have do adb sideload or fastboot for these?

CGarz

Aug 14, 2011
I can't boot the TWRP-image directly, the device simply restarts at every time.

That doesn't work. I'm not sure what the reason is though. Flashing is the only way to get into twrp.

There is no "recovery" partition, so I flashed the image to the boot-partition

Recovery is inside boot on A/B devices.

(which actually works, but no chance of booting android again.

This should not be the case. It should still boot fine. Did you make sure to flash the correct version based on Android security patch date?

If I try to "install" via TWRP, I get the error "unable to mount storage" but I can access the files on /system by browsing via the file manager - still the used place on my internal storage is shown.

Decryption of data partition does not work. It's mentioned in op. Access to the contents of /sdcard and /data/data is therefore not possible.

So I read the discussion here, but I don't know how to handle the Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_08.18.2019.zip? Do I have do adb sideload or fastboot for these?

That will disable encryption. Your data will be accessible to anyone if you use that. Though twrp should be able to access internal data with it. Up to you what is worth more.

To install zips, use an external sdcard or use adb sideload.

overclockA

Jan 28, 2020
That doesn't work. I'm not sure what the reason is though. Flashing is the only way to get into twrp.
So it's quite normal that I have to flash into the boot partition.
Recovery is inside boot on A/B devices.
OK.
This should not be the case. It should still boot fine. Did you make sure to flash the correct version based on Android security patch date?
Yes I did, but I had to downgrade to a earlier version. But how do we boot the original android if the boot-partition is overwritten by TWRP? Or do I need to change to slot B before?

Decryption of data partition does not work. It's mentioned in op. Access to the contents of /sdcard and /data/data is therefore not possible.
Don't I need the /system partition in order to flash the custom roms? Isn't this an asset?
That will disable encryption. Your data will be accessible to anyone if you use that. Though twrp should be able to access internal data with it. Up to you what is worth more.
Well I can't install from zip because of "unable to mount" - so nothing is done after flashing lineage.
To install zips, use an external sdcard or use adb sideload.
.. which don't work - but I didn't test with a sdcard. I'll try again.

Thanks

CGarz

Aug 14, 2011
So it's quite normal that I have to flash into the boot partition.
Yea things changed up a bit with the new A/B partition style.

Yes I did, but I had to downgrade to a earlier version. But how do we boot the original android if the boot-partition is overwritten by TWRP? Or do I need to change to slot B before?
The twrp boot image that is flashed contains everything needed to boot, in addition to trwp. So it should work just fine. It's possible to get the original boot backup with a bit of messing about. But ONLY when first flashing. Once its been overwritten its gone forever without some other persons backup or a stock firmware package.

So if its the first time before any flashing you could:
change slot to the unused slot
flash and start twrp
change slot back
backup boot
then optionally flash twrp to that slot's boot partition as well

Don't I need the /system partition in order to flash the custom roms? Isn't this an asset?
The system partition doesn't have anything to do with just installing the custom twrp recovery. But if you flash a custom rom then it will get changed.

Lineage OS issues should probably go into the Lineage thread but I don't think its recovery has a way to decrypt the data partition either. So it will be unable to mount the internal storage or data either. Disabling encryption could maybe give them access. But I haven't tested.

k-ninja

Jul 27, 2011
Melbourne
Just got my 7.2 today and managed to unlock bootloader. Planning to stay on stock FW for now but I want to install Magisk for Xprivacylua. I've read this whole thread and it seems like there are a few issues so I wanted to clarify a couple of things before I take the plunge:
  1. Regarding issues with WiFi / touchscreen not working, is it simply a matter of ensuring to flash the right TWRP for your security patch level? Based on earlier comments this seems likely to me, as hardware drivers won't load when signed for different kernel versions....?
  2. Regarding decryption not working - is it possible to access the /sdcard if there is no pin/pattern/etc set on the device? On previous devices I have seen issues where decryption would only work with default key (i.e. no pin set)...?
  3. Also regarding encryption - is this going to be (and/or able to be) added/fixed? Or is the lack of support for this feature due to source not being available?
  4. Regarding kernel sources - anyone know if Nokia is planning to release these at some point? Or are we stuck doing things the hard way?

I have the TA-1196 model which it seems like a few people here have had issues with so I am hesitant to overwrite the stock boot.img if it means possibly irreparably bricking the device ...

Thanks for any insight you can provide

overclockA

Jan 28, 2020
Thanks a lot for the given informations - that seems logical to me now.
Well, I didn't recover my boot image after it was gone - but I was able to flash an older stock firmware with the nokia tool (for flashing firmwares), this helped to boot the stock image and this worked fine for me.

Lineage OS issues should probably go into the Lineage thread but I don't think its recovery has a way to decrypt the data partition either. So it will be unable to mount the internal storage or data either. Disabling encryption could maybe give them access. But I haven't tested.
Well I don't think this is related to LineageOS exclusivly, I also have the same problem by flashing the Magisk image (message "unable to mount"). Under /system I saw crypted folders - maybe I have to decrypt before flashing and I would activate it later after the installation of the custom rom?

Regards,

CGarz

Aug 14, 2011
Regarding decryption not working - is it possible to access the /sdcard if there is no pin/pattern/etc set on the device? On previous devices I have seen issues where decryption would only work with default key (i.e. no pin set)...?

From what I can tell, decryption isn't working at all. Even with the decryption command in the twrp console. I was unable to access my broken 7.2's data at all via recovery. It is mentioned in the op though and force decryption would probably allow access. But unfortionatley then anyone has access. Hopefully support will eventually get added.

I have the TA-1196 model which it seems like a few people here have had issues with so I am hesitant to overwrite the stock boot.img if it means possibly irreparably bricking the device ...

It's possible to get a backup of your active slot's boot before flashing twrp to it by flashing instead to the other slot's boot and then switching and backing up. I mentioned it above.

k-ninja

Jul 27, 2011
Melbourne
From what I can tell, decryption isn't working at all. Even with the decryption command in the twrp console. I was unable to access my broken 7.2's data at all via recovery. It is mentioned in the op though and force decryption would probably allow access. But unfortionatley then anyone has access. Hopefully support will eventually get added.

I guess not having decryption working isn't a show stopper - you can always sideload instead.

CGarz

Aug 14, 2011
I also have the same problem by flashing the Magisk image (message "unable to mount"). Under /system I saw crypted folders - maybe I have to decrypt before flashing and I would activate it later after the installation of the custom rom?

Sorry I missed your message. I only saw the latest post since I was distracted. I havn't tested Xposed but have been looking into getting it. From what I can tell EdXposed is the way to go on Pie. Vanilla Xposed is said to either be deprecated or have issues.

I guess not having decryption working isn't a show stopper - you can always sideload instead.

Indeed. External SD also works fine. It's /sdcard1 in twrp if I remember right. I tend to use that since mine is much bigger than internal which lets me do a bunch of backups without space issues.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, for internal sd and /data, manual backup of the data partition with dd also works. It needs to be split before 4GiB with a pipe to the split command though. Gzip also helps. Its pretty slow though. Setting the block size larger can help with that though, slightly.

Last edited:

k-ninja

Jul 27, 2011
Melbourne
You have to flash twrp According to your security patch

For example September security patch download from 2019-09-19
For example August security patch download from
2019-08-19l

What happened to the folder for August, doesn't seem to be on sourceforge anymore? Will the recovery from the 2019-09-05 folder work on firmware 130 (august 5 security patch)?

Lordxhelmchen

Mar 21, 2016
Hamburg
Remember!

Nokia 7.2 have a A and B Partition.
Normaly it boots from the A Partition.
For a boot loop, for example, you must also flash the system.img (possibly from stock rom) to system_b.

So it works for me.

Peace/H

k-ninja

Jul 27, 2011
Melbourne
Today I have tried installing TWRP on my TA-1196 model and I can confirm that WiFi does not work. I have updated to latest firmware (400 - January security patch) and I have used the most recent TWRP available on the download link - 20200129 (I also tried 20200126 from same directory). The phone boots to Android fine (still running stock) but the WiFi will not enable. I have tried reflashing my original boot image, then repeating the process to be sure with the same result. I don't know the cause - maybe the wifi module is slightly different in the 1196? @Raghu varma any chance you could look into this or suggest a fix?

TBH I could live without TWRP on the active slot as long as I could install Magisk, but the flash installer will only install into the active slot from within TWRP. I tried setting the active slot from the reboot menu but that has no effect. Is there anyway to force TWRP to flash a zip to the inactive slot?

Last edited:

k-ninja

Jul 27, 2011
Melbourne
UPDATE - I managed to get Magisk installed using a patched boot image, but the process was very convoluted and I don't look forward to having to repeat it when the next firmware update comes down:
1. Install OTA update - slot B is now active.
2. Install TWRP to boot_a then boot to recovery
3. From TWRP, take a backup of boot_b partition and save to external SD card (make sure to set the right slot)
4. Reboot back to slot from TWRP
5. Install Magisk Manager
6. make a copy of the boot.emmc.win file made by TWRP, call it boot.img
7. From magisk manager, select install then patch file, select boot.img
8. when the patch process is complete, download the patch file to your computer (mine was about 20mb - be careful, first time I tried something screwed up and I ended up with a file only 3mb large)
9. Reboot to fastboot and install patched image - fastboot flash boot /path/to/magisk_patched.img

Yes that is basically the steps from the Magisk doco. The annoying part is having to extract a new boot image and repatch every time there's an OTA (or you flash a new update, assuming you use LOS).

Would still be keen to get a working TWRP (i.e. wifi) for TA-1196 if anyone has any ideas

Lordxhelmchen

Mar 21, 2016
Hamburg
Thought I had it.
After unlocking bootloader, I successfully installed TWRP.
Then I installed the STOCK ROM from January.
(DDV-00WW_1_400-9.0-HB.zip)
Magisk flashed with the TRWP sideload.
Everything works now, except the WLAN and the Bluetooth.

I now have the MAC address problem.
The MAC address is now 02:00:00:00:00.
Bluethooth and WLAN cannot be activated.

Or do I have to wait for the next security update?
Nokia 7.2 will probably get Android 10 in mid-February?

Does anyone have any idea how I can get out of this?

k-ninja

Jul 27, 2011
Melbourne
Thought I had it.
After unlocking bootloader, I successfully installed TWRP.
Then I installed the STOCK ROM from January.
(DDV-00WW_1_400-9.0-HB.zip)
Magisk flashed with the TRWP sideload.
Everything works now, except the WLAN and the Bluetooth.

I now have the MAC address problem.
The MAC address is now 02:00:00:00:00.
Bluethooth and WLAN cannot be activated.

Or do I have to wait for the next security update?
Nokia 7.2 will probably get Android 10 in mid-February?

Does anyone have any idea how I can get out of this?

Broken wifi is a known issue, mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Basically the Wifi driver won't load because the module is signed with a different key to the binary kernel TWRP is using (extracted from OTAs rather than being compiled from source because Nokia haven't released the code yet - I opened a ticket with them but they haven't been very helpful so far). Seems like some people have been able to get it working no problems, but I couldn't. What model is your phone - mine is TA-1196 which a few others here reported the same problem with. I think the TA-1198 seems to be ok though.

Reactions: Lordxhelmchen

Lordxhelmchen

Mar 21, 2016
Hamburg
Broken wifi is a known issue, mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Basically the Wifi driver won't load because the module is signed with a different key to the binary kernel TWRP is using (extracted from OTAs rather than being compiled from source because Nokia haven't released the code yet - I opened a ticket with them but they haven't been very helpful so far). Seems like some people have been able to get it working no problems, but I couldn't. What model is your phone - mine is TA-1196 which a few others here reported the same problem with. I think the TA-1198 seems to be ok though.

Thanks a lot k-ninja.

Yes I have read everything here in the forum about the wlan problem.
I will wait for the Nokia February patch.
That might help.

Have you ever tried a Costum-ROM?

By the way I also have the TA-1196.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

Note - Iam Not Responsible for bricked devices

About Team win recovery project

TWRP is an open source, community project. TWRP development is done by roughly 4 people at this point. We also have a large support community with many people who are willing to answer questions and help people with their devices either through our IRC channel or on forums like xda-developers.

Team Win was originally formed to work on porting WiMAX to CM7 for the HTC EVO 4G. After our work on the EVO 4G we wanted to work on a project that would work on more devices than just the EVO 4G and we settled on working on a recovery. Today TWRP is the leading custom recovery for Android phones.

Installation procedure

Note - download twrp according to your phone security patch

1 . Download twrp-3.4.0-0-DDV_sprout_sprout.img copy in one folder
    2. connect phone to pc boot your phone to bootloader mode
    3. open cmd in that folder
    4. type fastboot devices
    5. type fastboot flash boot twrp-3.4.0-0-DDV_sprout.img
    6. now get back to phone select recovery mode and now your phone boots in to twrp
    7. now flash magisk or what ever your wish and press reboot system

bugs- none

well still you people can flash magisk.zip using sideload

just download magisk.zip & and click on sideload in twrp and open cmd and type adb sideload magisk.zip and after completion reboot system

Download Android 9 Twrp-3.3.1-0 From Here

Download Android 10 Twrp-3.4.0-0 From Here

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP 3.4.0-0 , for the Nokia 7.2

Contributors
    Raghu varma
    My build script: https://github.com/RaghuVarma331/scripts
    Source Code: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery
    Device Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_nokia_DDV_sprout.git

Version Information
    beta

Created 2019-11-07
    Last Updated 2020-06-25
    Changelog 21-05-20

* Fixed decryption
    * Always use latest twrp.img files accordingly to your respective rom security patch

Changelog Sat Apr 3 08:41:31 UTC 2020
    ===================================

* Initial android 10 Twrp builds are up

2. We need to have proper kernel sources

Hopefully we will get sources soon. Does Ghoulgle not require that vendors eventually release them? I think I heard that somewhere.

So, a couple of things: Linux kernel license is GPLv2. In theory, anyone who uses it is required by the terms to also publish any code they derive from it under the GPL, but the problem is that the only way to enforce this against a non-compliant vendor is court action by the owner of the IP, and in the case of Linux even establishing that in court is difficult due to the open source nature of the project. In short, if Nokia says "we're not going to release the source code, you can't make us" they are for all intents and purposes, correct.

Secondly, Nokia DO publish GPL Linux kernel code for *SOME* of their devices - downloadable here: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/opensource - you will notice immediately however that the 7.2 is missing from that list (as is the 6.2). I have logged a support ticket with their helpdesk about this, their first response was "we don't release source code for their devices", when I pointed out their GPL obligations they referred me to the open source link, and when I pointed out that the 7.2 is missing from that page they said they would release it "when it is ready". My most recent communication with them was to note that the Nokia 7.2 is over 6 months old and has had several firmware updates since release so there is no logical reason they can claim the code isn't ready for release. So far they have not responded to this latest message, but I am not hopeful. I expect what has happened inside HMD is that when they realised that the 7.2 was accidentally released with an unlockable bootloader, they have decided to withhold source the source code to prevent modders from making custom roms for the device.

Thirdly, even assuming HMD do release the code as per the 7.1 and other devices, it's not clear if that would be sufficient to build a full kernel. The subject of whether kernel modules are derivative works is a grey area and Nokia would likely claim that in fact they are proprietary code that is exempt from the GPL because they developed them independently of the kernel.

So in short, for the forseeable future the only work around we have is to build a TWRP for each security patch with a kernel extracted from the corresponding OTA. That is a non-trivial task and I expect probably too time consuming to lump onto a single person such as Raghu (thanks for all your work so far by the way). Probably the most achievable middle ground would be if someone (or multiple someones) can create a repository of OTA kernels for each security patch/firmware update, and then people can compile their own TWRP (and share here if they like), though I expect it would take some good written instructions as there will be many people who try and fail.
    All right it's been long time to read some quotes and mentions and reports especially I observed one thing wifi broken for many users

Intresting thank you all for your valuable feedback

All right it's time to open up and want to share few lines about Nokia 7.2 and the upcoming future

1. We don't have proper kernel source code from Nokia which contains Device specific drivers and without that its impossible to boot it on our Nokia 7.2

2. Well what next? I used kernel from Ota.zip and used that kernel in twrp device code

3. So what exactly the twrp does?

When we built twrp using device tree with prebuilt kernel ( which get signed with Nokia keys along with wlan.ko module ( this module is actually related to wifi ) )which present inside vendor

So here I used August kernel and did monthly twrp builds for every security patch.

So here these all twrp builds contains August security patch kernel means twrp will not broke your wifi on August security patch

But if we flash twrp after August security patch wifi module will not load from vendor it's because every security patch contains same kernel with same wlan module to load wifi. but the module and kernel will get signed with different keys . So twrp kernel and your rom wlan module should get signed with same signature to get wifi work by loading wlan module

So to solve these all things

Two ways are there

1. I should update kernel every month in my twrp device tree to load wlan module of that particular signature ( It's impossible to update kernel Every month because I used to do development for 6 Nokia devices )

2. We need to have proper kernel sources