• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

[OFFICIAL][TWRP][J710X] OrangeFox Recovery Project [R11.0]

Astrako

Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2015
Badajoz

DISCLAIMER
  • I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

FEATURES
  • J710X supported
  • Built with lastest OrangeFox sources and my own device tree
  • Vendor partition supported
  • f2fs supported
  • and many more!

INSTALLATION
  • Flash OrangeFox recovery zip in your current recovery

DOWNLOAD

SUPPORT

SOURCES

CREDITS
  • Me, for infinite hours spent with this project
  • Special thanks to @Valera1978
  • @stricted and 7870 dev team for his work in exynos source code
  • OrangeFox Recovery team

DONATIONS
  • I don't need them, I don't need coffees or beers. I really hate see here people with high end devices asking for donations, but you can still donate money to charity. Donate money or simply help people that is really needed. If you like this rom you can make me very happy just pushing THANKS

XDA:DevDB Information
OrangeFox Recovery Project, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy J7

Contributors
Astrako
Source Code: https://gitlab.com/OrangeFox

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 11.0
Stable Release Date: 2020-08-04
Current Beta Version: 10.1
Beta Release Date: 2020-03-09

Created 2020-03-09
Last Updated 2020-08-04

Attachments

TRalperenTR

Jul 15, 2018
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE BRINGING ORANGEFOX RECOVERY FOR OUR DEVICE. YOU'RE AWESOME DEVELOPER!
I finally tested it in first time. I highly recommend it!
And a question, is this works on treble?

The OrangeFox Recovery is flashed successfully on J7 2016 (SM-J710FQ)

Attachments

Last edited:

Aleks Skuber

Sep 13, 2019
Kamnik
I have never heard of the OrangeFox Recovery Project but I might try it out since I appreciate all the development given into it and I generally like the overall design. I'm just a little scared that I might lose all my data.

EDIT: Decided to install it. Looks really nice. Great work developer. The only issue I have is that it says my ROM isn't Treble when it clearly is and that it spends like 10 seconds on the splash screen rather than like 3 seconds when I try to go into recovery. But overall I'd say that this recovery is very well made, has a beautiful and easy to navigate UI, tons of features like Magisk Manager and the App Manager which I know I'll look into at some point.

Last edited:

SirDoz

Feb 24, 2020
Great recovery. Loved the advanced UI and amazingly I can backup EFS partition which I previously couldn't do on TWRP. Its awesome that it can extract compressed files (useful for those who forgot to extract GSI before flashing lol) and it can edit text files because the recovery has nano (a CLI text editor that's popular on Linux). Lots of customizability which I wouldn't expect a recovery to have. And for those who wants to make sure no one picks up your phone and factory reset it for laughs, you can apply security for your recovery (password etc).

This recovery might take a little longer to boot as compared to other recoveries but its definitely worth trying.

Reactions: Astrako

TRalperenTR

Jul 15, 2018
Hi again. The OrangeFox is very beautiful recovery I've ever had. I have the some issues in this build.

Bugs:
- The OrangeFox recovery launching time is longer than TWRP (10-15 seconds on bootlogo, 6-8 seconds on recovery bootlogo)
- The Power Off button doesn't power off my device lol :p (It's just rebooting back)
- The "/vendor" partition isn't hidden in non-treble device. (It's hidden on TWRP. Idk why. I don't even using non-treble rom. Maybe the creator of OrangeFox's fault?)

That's all for now. Thank you dev for building this for j7 2016.

IMRAN QAZI

Nov 1, 2016
It is a very good recovery. It solved my issue of internal storage unable to mount on twrp.
It still need some improvements. Bit overall it is a good one. I m waiting for future updates.

gofur.my

Jun 12, 2019
Thanks for your great work....
I have installed some of your treble rom with this orangefox. everything fine but when i try to restore the backup rom, process on restoring always fail on restore system image. can you explain this? when i try restore with TWRP 3.4 it goes well

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone