May 3, 2014
St. Augustine, FL

Google Nexus Player

Code:
- Your warrenty is now void.
- You have been warned.
- Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
This is the Official Lineage OS 16.0 thread for the (Asus) Google Nexus Player , codename fugu.

How to Install:
Please follow the instructions on our Official LineageOS Wiki page here.

If you don't follow these instructions, please don't expect support here. We also don't support 3rd party addons (Magisk/XPosed/Dolby/Viper/etc.), so please don't seek support if you use these.

Known Bugs:
  • None!

Notes:
  • We pass SafetyNet without any 3^rd party addons. AddonSU, and other addons will likely change this.
  • Because Lineage 15.1 is AOSP based as opposed to Lineage 14.1 which used a hybrid AOSP/CAF base, the in-remote Microphone works!
  • Neither OpenGApp's nor MindTheGApp's ATV packages currently fit on the Nexus Player's small system partition! Use the GApps Iink if you want them -- if you use these, Google apps will crash, and Developer Settings will not open. Use *only* the ATV GApps I link below if you wish to use GApps.

Download:

• LineageOS Updater
  • Custom ATV OpenGApps TVStock Build (thanks to @msg01 for discovering the root of this problem and building this package!) -- You will want to either sideload or install the Google Webview from the Play Store (or the one in that Google Drive folder, as it was excluded in this GApps build to make it fit in fugu's small system partition.

XDA:DevDB Information
Lineage OS, ROM for the Nexus Player

Contributors
npjohnson, Steel01 , ciwrl
Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS/

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
ROM Firmware Required: 8.0.0 (OPR2.170623.027, Nov 2017)
Based On: Lineage OS (previously CyanogenMod) - Based on AOSP/CAF

Version Information
Current Stable Version: Newest Weekly

Created 2018-03-20
Last Updated 2019-03-04

Last edited:

AusX10

Nov 3, 2010
Hobart
Working great so far. Only one small issue to report, using another device to sign in resulted in a loop of the setup wizard. Using the normal method worked fine.

Thanks!

Last edited:

skiwong20

Nov 29, 2011
hi thanks for work, i have clean install with your gapps. play store auto updates to a new version. so i can't install any apps..just sits at pending and i looks like you disabled develeper section as well so i couldn't touch android debuging

gregfrankenstein

Oct 15, 2015
hi thanks for work, i have clean install with your gapps. play store auto updates to a new version. so i can't install any apps..just sits at pending and i looks like you disabled develeper section as well so i couldn't touch android debuging
Same. Tried force quitting and clearing data for the Play Store. Didn't help. It just sits at "install pending" forever for any app.

EDIT: I tried again from scratch but with the javelinanddart build of "MindTheGapps-8.1.0-atv-x86-20180320_010247.zip". Same issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: -lukin-

npjohnson

May 3, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
The same thing is happening to me. All applications remain in Pending Installation.
Same. Tried force quitting and clearing data for the Play Store. Didn't help. It just sits at "install pending" forever for any app.

EDIT: I tried again from scratch but with the javelinanddart build of "MindTheGapps-8.1.0-atv-x86-20180320_010247.zip". Same issue.
Yeah, its a stupid Google bug. Let the play store do its thing and update, don't try to install/update anything.

What is happening is Google Play is updating, then Google Play service is doing like a 150mb update in the background at a turtle's pace.

Then reboot from in the settings app. Should solve it.

Also, I didn't block development settings? You need to click the build # a ton of times as always. They work great here.

Reactions: xonelith

ericcl

Oct 8, 2010
Is there a way to operate TWRP other than a mouse on the USB port with an OTG cable?

My OTG cables have a right angle bend that overlaps the HDMI and I can't get them to both fit. I even took a Dremel to a cheap HDMI cable and can't get it to fit. Forcing it will put torque on the USB connector and I don't want to break it internally. I suppose I'll order a straight OTG cable from Amazon, but it will take a couple days to get here.

npjohnson

May 3, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Can someone please post some screenshots? I'm dying of curiosity as to what LineageOS for Android TV is
Try it then? ;p Honestly though, right now we don't have Customizer updated, so if you sue the O launcher, it'll look the same as stock, with extra OS features.
Is there a way to operate TWRP other than a mouse on the USB port with an OTG cable?

My OTG cables have a right angle bend that overlaps the HDMI and I can't get them to both fit. I even took a Dremel to a cheap HDMI cable and can't get it to fit. Forcing it will put torque on the USB connector and I don't want to break it internally. I suppose I'll order a straight OTG cable from Amazon, but it will take a couple days to get here.
Yeah, TWRP is a pain on this device. I use an AirMouse via OTG.

I should have Lineage Recovery (navigable with the bottom button like the fastboot mode on fugu), ready in a bit here.

compnird

Mar 5, 2009
Seattle, WA
Great work! As soon as Netflix is fixed I will start using this. The only purpose my Nexus Player serves is to run OpenVPN and Netflix UK to watch certain shows I can't get here in the states.

Looking forward to trying this, will be checking in frequently.

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Great work! As soon as Netflix is fixed I will start using this. The only purpose my Nexus Player serves is to run OpenVPN and Netflix UK to watch certain shows I can't get here in the states.

Looking forward to trying this, will be checking in frequently.

martinedu

Dec 18, 2010
After re-installing everything from scratch I will be able to download applications from the Play Store. Unfortunately, Netflix does not work (reports error ui-800-3). Another program that does not work is MX-Player.

chives3300

Mar 24, 2018
stuck with google play store

Hey guys,

any suggestions?
- From TWRP:
- Wipe Data/Cache/System
- Install Lineage
- Install mindthegapps OR opengapps
- clear cache
- reboot

With mindthegapps, it seems like lineage doesn't install as this looks like the stock oreo os, google play store is there, but I'm stuck with all of my apps pending installation issue - even when left overnight. unable to sideload
With opengapps - lineage seems to successfully install, but then there is no google play store, so im unable to download anything - i thought maybe i could workaround by downloading the apk through the web browser, but their is no file explorer so im unable to browse to the apk file.

I'm stuck - would greatly appreciate any / all help!