• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] [WEEKLIES] Lineage OS 15.1 TV

Search This thread

ticky33

Apr 3, 2012
Bordeaux
Any updates on this Nexus player lineageos rom ? I'm very satisfied with this nexus payer, the hardware still looks good... I don't want to replace it ! Thanks for all the devellopers

Sep 19, 2010
Well, I wouldn't completely take it out of the equation yet. The dev hasn't officially discontinued the ROM, so as far as we know he's still working on it. The ROM works but there seems to be some weird stuff that need to be ironed out before a public release. Here's hoping he skipped 16 and just decided to work on the latest version of LOS at this point. But who knows. the limited RAM might be an obstacle for the dev. Or the fact the the chip isnt arm based.

May 19, 2015
Fulton, MS
Hi all! Glad to see that there are still people using this device. This week, I started playing with mine again for the first time in years. I have been on some 7.1.2 build for years now, and finally decided to try to update. Latest TWRP installed without issue. I determined that the links in the OP are indeed the latest (and most recommended) packages to use for Oreo. So I got everything ready, and realized that I couldn't find my OTG adapter.... So I learned about ADB sideloading along the way too :p

After all that, I'm booting up after a full wipe and flash of 15.1+gapps from the OP, everything is going well....and it gets stuck at "updating google play services". I rebooted several times, still stuck. Left over night and through the next day (today) and it had not moved when I got in from work. So I repeated the full wipe, flash, reboot...same thing....for just a few seconds, and then it goes through to the next screen, prompting for a google login. Victory!....not. Click the "sign in" button, and the next screen freezes >;(

So thats where I am now. I've skimmed this entire thread, and read most of it at this point, and still can't come up with anything I'm doing wrong. I did test a "pure" boot with no GApps, and that worked fine. Its only when I add the GApps (again, the correct one) that I can't get anywhere.

Any help would be much appreciated. And I would like to also say thank you @npjohnson for your work on this device (and the others that I see that you work on as well!)

May 19, 2015
Fulton, MS
Not sure man. You can try a modern open apps package, just make sure to use tvmini
Thanks for the quick reply!

I did also try the latest open_gapps with similar results, along with a few other things... I even flashed back to stock 8.0 (system only) and then dirty-flashed the lineage-based 8.1 atop it, thinking I could bypass setup in this way, since I was able to complete setup under stock 8.0. And that worked, until I tried gapps again. After flashing the gapps package, it would crash during boot and then reboot to recovery automatically.

This is kinda bizarre honestly. While I'm no expert by any stretch, I have been tinkering with android for 10+ years at this point and I've never had something like this where I couldn't find some kind of work-around. I even tried to disable setup through build.prop, which strangely had no effect whatsoever...

May 19, 2015
Fulton, MS
Update:

For a long while, no matter what I tried, I would always get stuck at the screen with the spinny loading circle after the google "sign in" screen. The next screen simply refused to load, and would freeze after 2-5 seconds. Additionally, using a mouse to interact with this screen caused some interesting behavior - it would hard crash and return to the "sign in", and would do it indefinitely...not that any of that matters. Moving on...

After trying a dirty flash atop stock 8.0 (unsuccessfully), I got a little more daring and decided to dirty flash 8.1 onto 7.1.2, which I was using previously. Turns out I had been using an npjohnson 7.1.2 build forever before now :p So returning to that build worked as well as it always did, and then after flashing 8.1+GApps, I just walked away for a while, assuming it wouldn't work, almost afraid of what horror I would find upon returning. Came back an hour later and to my surprise, it was working! And before anyone starts shouting, to be clear - I DON'T RECOMMEND DIRTY FLASHING unless you are alright with the potential for screwey behavior afterward, or simply don't care.

Moving on, I used the device for streaming for several hours after this, and most things work as intended. I only have three known issues at this point.

-First - the occasional stuttering that videos experience, namely netflix, but I've noticed youtube having some weird similar issues that I've never had before on the NP. I guess I'll just deal with it, as I haven't been able to fix it all these years. Happened on stock too, so I'm not expecting a fix.

-Second - Amazon Prime Video launches and immediately crashes as Netflix used to do on 7.1.2. I've not investigated it yet, but I'm guessing maybe some weird app data thing, as I did download the app before flashing to 8.1 and I suppose the app version could be different..? We'll see.

-Lastly - No true "issues" with this, more of a preference thing, but am I the only one who thinks the newer Leanback launcher is a downgrade in style and possibly performance from the previous version? I much prefer the one that shipped with 7.1.2, and I notice that it is the default in 8.1 before GApps too. Pretty sure I can figure out how to get it back with a custom flash package or something.

I'm going to keep testing things, and report back if I find any solutions, both to the above issues, and the original issue of simply not being able to get through the setup.

Thanks again @npjohnson for your hard work on maintaining this device.

easy_mac

Jan 22, 2015
-Second - Amazon Prime Video launches and immediately crashes as Netflix used to do on 7.1.2. I've not investigated it yet, but I'm guessing maybe some weird app data thing, as I did download the app before flashing to 8.1 and I suppose the app version could be different..? We'll see.

-Lastly - No true "issues" with this, more of a preference thing, but am I the only one who thinks the newer Leanback launcher is a downgrade in style and possibly performance from the previous version? I much prefer the one that shipped with 7.1.2, and I notice that it is the default in 8.1 before GApps too. Pretty sure I can figure out how to get it back with a custom flash package or something.
Prime video doesn't work here either, not sure if it's the SOC or something but it won't work :/

For the last issue, try uninstalling updates to Google TV Home and disabling auto updates. Then you can install this (it's the most recent version without ads) and just not update that app again

Reactions: benthecomputerguy93

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Prime video doesn't work here either, not sure if it's the SOC or something but it won't work :/

For the last issue, try uninstalling updates to Google TV Home and disabling auto updates. Then you can install this (it's the most recent version without ads) and just not update that app again

It's because L1 isn't working - I /think/ fugu had it's L1 certificate revoked recently. Not sure, I know shamu got revoked :/

Reactions: benthecomputerguy93
May 19, 2015
Fulton, MS

Thanks for that, I'll check it out!

It's because L1 isn't working - I /think/ fugu had it's L1 certificate revoked recently. Not sure, I know shamu got revoked :/

What is L1 exactly? Prime Video works fine on 7.1.2 btw, or at least it did a month ago when I was messing with it. My poor Shamu, they keep taking things from it. VoLTE and now this? Haha. Sucks how shamu (and fugu) are such amazing devices that will both be victim to planned obsolescence...

Anyway, I came here to post a small update:

Its been one month, and I've been using this thing for streaming at least two hours most evenings during the week. Netflix and Youtube are what I use primarily, and I have no complaints there. The system does need to be restarted every so often, due to a very sudden and noticeable change that seems to happen at random - basically the whole system becomes very sluggish and unstable, but is fine for ~10ish days again after a restart. I'm totally fine with that, its not like I'm using it as a PC and have a risk of data loss or something.

The HDMI-CEC works very well too. I have a new Samsung TV (not a smart TV actually) and being able to use a single remote 90% of the time is very convenient. It doesn't like the Pandora app (impossible to exit!), but whatever :p

I'm pretty happy with it overall. The only thing that I really wish I could get working is the Prime Video app. Maybe I'll figure something out.

Thanks again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Google Nexus Player

Code:
    - Your warrenty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 16.0 thread for the (Asus) Google Nexus Player , codename fugu.

How to Install:
    Please follow the instructions on our Official LineageOS Wiki page here.

If you don't follow these instructions, please don't expect support here. We also don't support 3rd party addons (Magisk/XPosed/Dolby/Viper/etc.), so please don't seek support if you use these.

Known Bugs:
    • None!

Notes:
    • We pass SafetyNet without any 3^rd party addons. AddonSU, and other addons will likely change this.
    • Because Lineage 15.1 is AOSP based as opposed to Lineage 14.1 which used a hybrid AOSP/CAF base, the in-remote Microphone works!
    • Neither OpenGApp's nor MindTheGApp's ATV packages currently fit on the Nexus Player's small system partition! Use the GApps Iink if you want them -- if you use these, Google apps will crash, and Developer Settings will not open. Use *only* the ATV GApps I link below if you wish to use GApps.

Download:

• LineageOS Updater
    • Custom ATV OpenGApps TVStock Build (thanks to @msg01 for discovering the root of this problem and building this package!) -- You will want to either sideload or install the Google Webview from the Play Store (or the one in that Google Drive folder, as it was excluded in this GApps build to make it fit in fugu's small system partition.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage OS, ROM for the Nexus Player

Contributors
    npjohnson, Steel01 , ciwrl
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS/

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: 8.0.0 (OPR2.170623.027, Nov 2017)
    Based On: Lineage OS (previously CyanogenMod) - Based on AOSP/CAF

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: Newest Weekly

Created 2018-03-20
    Last Updated 2019-03-04
    Man this is awesome!

The Nexus player on stock 8.0 was not the best experience, but I didn't want to downgrade to 7.1.2 as per many recommendations. Found this ROM after finally getting back on XDA to do something about it. Reflashed the latest factory image, installed TWRP, 4/16 ROM, GApps in the post, and lastly Magisk for Adaway support mainly. Things are working great. Every app and major feature I tried worked, including Netflix and Google Home support.

I noticed some very minor hiccups. Not sure if any have been reported before. If you double tap home on the Nexus remote it opens recents, but I haven't found a way to use the clear all button or close any of the apps. I guess you're not supposed to close them anyway. If you enable advanced reboot in Dev options, doesn't actually seem to come up. Moonlight for some reason flickers in the game selection menu but doesn't flicker ingame so that's not a big deal and very well could be moonlights fault itself. And lastly, so minor, when you click the microphone search button in the play store, it plays the audio cue ding twice before listening to your voice.

Overall, fantastic fantastic ROM. It's been a long time since I needed to root any device after getting a pixel, but when your TV is 2 years out of date almost, it's thanks to people like you for keeping it alive.

Edit: To my surprise, remote control with HDMI-CEC works way better than it did with stock. Bravo.

Fun fact, some CEC features/sepolicy are not present on stock, so CEC seemed to be hit and miss on stock ;p

Also, another fun fact -- Lineage OS 16.0 now boots. Needs a lot of work, but boots :)
    16.0 development update:

All progress can be tracked here, and this chain alone will get you building what I am building:

https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:fugu-p

Right now you need to either run setup-makefiles.sh or use: https://github.com/npjohnson/proprietary_vendor_asus/tree/lineage-16.0

Right now it boots, and all works except Wi-Fi (should be an easy fix), Audio (going to need some real work here), and in-remote Microphone (no clue if I can get this working again).

But other than that it runs better than Oreo frame-rate/dropped-frames wise in my opinion!

Hope to have more to say soon.

Donations welcome, have some tuition payments coming up, haha.
    Update: Everything works on 16.0... except Audio lol - when I figure that out, it will ship. Should be before 17.0 drops, then onto getting fugu up to 17.0. :)
    L1, Netflix 1080p, Screen Cast, and Android TV Remote app are all fixed.

No bugs remain on fugu 15.1 - enjoy.