[OFFICIAL][WEEKLY][7.1.2] LineageOS 14.1 for i9300

Search This thread

mont99

Jan 17, 2018
Use latest TWRP Recovery and Magisk Root.

I am not exactly sure what you mean but rooting doesn't affect your data.
It won't factory reset your phone.
thank you for replying. I was first using archidroid but after incurring problems with it, i upgraded to the OS. I used CWM for the recovery, and hence is the recover i am using. Now...........

Quite stupid of me....it was disabled in the dev. options menu. I didnt realize that until now.

As i mentioned, its working. A few issues are as follows:-
1)Repeated MTP manager "stopped working" error occurs when i connect it to the computer (although not all the time)
2)It must be just me and my eyes, but the colors seem to be abit off. Must be something in the settings
3)It takes over a second to unlock or switch off the phone.

...havnt tried calling or messaging, but everything else seems fine

Recovery & LineageOS Update

...I used CWM for the recovery, and hence is the recover i am using. Now...........

1)Repeated MTP manager "stopped working" error...
2)...colors seem to be abit off. Must be something in the settings..

You need TWRP for the LineageOS automatic updates installing feature in Settings > About phone > LineageOS updates to work.

I suggest a clean install as described in TWRP Recovery Update, Clean Install. Just disregard the APN part. Follow steps 1, 3, 4 & 7.

Might as well install the brand new Lineage 14-1 2018-01-17 i9300-signed.zip that just came out today which includes a new security patch & several changes. https://download.lineageos.org/i9300

You can install TWRP by copying TWRP....img to external SD card & flash using your current CWM.

It also includes an explanation & workaround for the MTP host known issue.

"...colors seem to be abit off. Must be something in the settings" - Many options for fine tuning in Settings > Display > LiveDisplay.

Last edited:

NewbieToo

Jan 11, 2018
Your network may install more than one APN & automatically select one as default. Do not delete all the others related to T-Mobile.

Settings > Wireless & networks > More > Cellular networks > Access Point Names > APNs > press unwanted APN > Edit access point panel > scroll down > APN enable/disable toggle. If grayed out, leave it alone. Do not use Edit access point panel > 3 dots > delete. See screenshot attached.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2090 > Android APN settings > 3. Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN. > ...Turn APN on/off: Grayed out unless there are multiple APNs. As seen in attachment.
Swollen Battery?

Yes, swollen battery. Should have a new one by Friday. Sadly, the S3's too unstable to test further until then.

The APN's that are being utilized by the phone are NOT T-Mobile APNs. I'll choose the custom T-Mobile APN I created, then the phone will switch to Net10, or others if Net10, etc. are deleted. The phone only switched to a true T-Mobile alternate (StraightTalk) after all others were eliminated. I'll investigate your enable/disable toggle in these Non-TMobile APNs when I'm back up and running and post the results. I know it was greyed out in the T-Mobile APN's. We'll see then how much the battery has been a factor overall.

Android-Banjarmasin

Dec 13, 2013
Banjarmasin
The annoying issue now is the "Silent Factory Reset"
Its factory reset system data itself if you restarted your device without pressing power button 2 times or more, you cant pull the statusbar and system apps data gone, its like you bypasses the setup wizard

BTW the HWC Working fine on MoKee, only in MoKee or LOS has a fixed HWC

Last edited:

forkbomb444

Aug 22, 2013
Sydney
Hi!

Android O has a lot of changes, including to the kernel. Google supports as far back as 3.10 (five years old!). Backporting these changes to Linux 3.0 (seven years old!) might be possible, but no matter how hard I try, the kernel will have huge numbers of vulnerabilities. Going forward, more and more effort will be required to continue maintaining it.

So, before working on Oreo I've decided to port i9300/i9305/n7100/t0lte to mainline Linux. This is going to take a while - I started working on this in earnest at the end of last year. Currently, there's no OpenGL support - so instead I've been using a traditional Linux distribution to develop on.

Currently, there's a pretty neat list of things working (keep in mind, I haven't even attempted to boot Android on this yet...):
  • Display + panel brightness (on S3 and Note 2)
  • USB
  • Capacitive keys
  • Hardware keys
  • Sensors (on S3 only)
  • Wifi
  • Notification LED
  • HDMI (untested)
  • Cameras (untested)
  • Touchscreen (on S3 and Note 2)
  • Charging

Fortunately, the lima project exists for OpenGL on Mali 400. So far, it can render spinning cubes - but I don't think it's quite far enough to handle Android yet...

That leaves the main things left to figure out:
  • GPS (will require a lot of work - reversing the protocol used...)
  • Modem (I've started working on i9300/n7100, but it's not yet booting fully)
  • BT (should be super easy)
  • Audio
  • Note 2 sensors
  • Note 2 S-Pen support

You can see my progress in my github repository.

Android-Banjarmasin

Dec 13, 2013
Banjarmasin
Hi!

Android O has a lot of changes, including to the kernel. Google supports as far back as 3.10 (five years old!). Backporting these changes to Linux 3.0 (seven years old!) might be possible, but no matter how hard I try, the kernel will have huge numbers of vulnerabilities. Going forward, more and more effort will be required to continue maintaining it.

So, before working on Oreo I've decided to port i9300/i9305/n7100/t0lte to mainline Linux. This is going to take a while - I started working on this in earnest at the end of last year. Currently, there's no OpenGL support - so instead I've been using a traditional Linux distribution to develop on.

Currently, there's a pretty neat list of things working (keep in mind, I haven't even attempted to boot Android on this yet...):
  • USB
  • Capacitive keys
  • Hardware keys
  • Sensors (on S3 only)
  • Wifi
  • Notification LED
  • HDMI (untested)
  • Cameras (untested)
  • Charging

Fortunately, the lima project exists for OpenGL on Mali 400. So far, it can render spinning cubes - but I don't think it's quite far enough to handle Android yet...

• Audio
  • Note 2 sensors
  • Note 2 S-Pen support

Whoa thank you very much dev, you are awesome

LuciferIII

Feb 26, 2016
Prizren
Its factory reset system data itself if you restarted your device without pressing power button 2 times or more, you cant pull the statusbar and system apps data gone, its like you bypasses the setup wizard

You are the 4th to report this.(it happend 2 times for me)
Still, we don't know why this is happening.

aser_elhbayeb

Account currently disabled
Sep 13, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
Hi!

Display + panel brightness (on S3 and Note 2)
USB
Capacitive keys
Hardware keys
Sensors (on S3 only)
Wifi
Notification LED
HDMI (untested)
Cameras (untested)
Touchscreen (on S3 and Note 2)
Charging

GPS (will require a lot of work - reversing the protocol used...)
Modem (I've started working on i9300/n7100, but it's not yet booting fully)
BT (should be super easy)
Audio
Note 2 sensors
Note 2 S-Pen support

About HWC?

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

I guess I'm having kind of this issue too, one of the effects is the WiFi networks key, I have to enter the key after each reboot for certain network. The other thing, some apps behave as if it's the first launch though it's not.

fir1996

Oct 24, 2013
Xiaomi 12T Pro
Hi!

• USB
  • Capacitive keys
  • Hardware keys
  • Sensors (on S3 only)
  • Wifi
  • Notification LED
  • HDMI (untested)
  • Cameras (untested)
  • Charging

• Audio
  • Note 2 sensors
  • Note 2 S-Pen support

Woohoo awesome great to here that from you, we appreciete all the hard work thanks for listening our great dev. :highfive:

DiskDumper

Jun 8, 2017
Random Reboot Problem

hi.the phone is rebooting itself.several times a day.what would be the reason?? thanks

Hi Seri1618,

I had a similar issue: since a few month my i9300 was rebooting a few times per day. I didn't find out the cause, but after doing a complete factory reset (including system, data and internal sd card) and installing the LinageOS version 20180110 + pico gapps + fdroid extenion + root the phone runs fine again :)

I haven't installed all apps yet again I was using, but I plan to add more apps on a weekly basis so if one of my apps was responsible for the reboots I will find out eventually.

Reactions: 239 and curiousrom

FaserF

Oct 23, 2014
Munich
www.youtube.com
Hi!

• USB
  • Capacitive keys
  • Hardware keys
  • Sensors (on S3 only)
  • Wifi
  • Notification LED
  • HDMI (untested)
  • Cameras (untested)
  • Charging

• Audio
  • Note 2 sensors
  • Note 2 S-Pen support

Thank you so much!
I have one question, are you thinking about including Android Go into Android O for our S3 / the other devices?

Hello,is there any way to install samsung music player on this rom?:confused:

No, there is no option

qb74

Dec 2, 2016
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hi!

• USB
  • Capacitive keys
  • Hardware keys
  • Sensors (on S3 only)
  • Wifi
  • Notification LED
  • HDMI (untested)
  • Cameras (untested)
  • Charging

• Audio
  • Note 2 sensors
  • Note 2 S-Pen support

what about a new 14.1 experimental build? did ya' switch to working on oreo only now? :(

mont99

Jan 17, 2018
Welcome to the XDA forum!

"i am not able to root the device" - You did not say what you tried.

I don't understand this "tried CWM's root option too". You did not install the most recent TWRP Recovery as recommended in post #1 of this thread?

1- Settings > About phone > click on Build number until a pop up written "Developer options enabled" appears.

2- Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging > Toggle On.

3- Settings > Developer options > Root access > enable Apps and ADB.

Done! You don't need Magisk or anything else.

"So is it possible to move the zip file to a sd card and directly flash it through recovery without deleting anything?" - Which zip are you talking about?

"my phone is working sorta fine" - My S3 is working awesome on LOS 14.1. What's wrong with yours?

Without precise info it's impossible to give precise advice. :eek:

sorry mate, its working perfectly, aside of the time it takes to show me the lock screen. I meant the zip of the new version of lineage OS

Dev's Road Map, Trimming, Forced Factory Reset & SIM APN?

...So, before working on Oreo I've decided to port i9300/i9305/n7100/t0lte to mainline Linux. This is going to take a while - I started working on this in earnest at the end of last year... You can see my progress in my github repository.

Thank you for the continuous support of our S3 devices & sharing your road map with us. :good: Hope you are having fun doing this otherwise what's the point? ;)

Hopefully we won't get some Oreo for S3 "are we there yet" posts in this thread for a couple of weeks...

Trim Your Quotes!

Guys, why quote over and over full long posts? Can't you just delete some content between
said:
and [ /QUOTE] thus keeping the reference, relevant content & embedded link to the post you are replying to like the examples above & below? :silly:

Forced Factory Reset

The annoying issue now is the "Silent Factory Reset"... Its factory reset system data itself if you restarted your device without pressing power button 2 times or more...

How do you restart it? By removing the battery to get out of a freeze or bootloop instead of a Force Reset by pressing the Power Button for 8-10 seconds? To me that's like being in a car @ 50 km/h and turning off the engine without a clutch.

I shutdown, rebooted & other stuff more than 50 times in the last 2 months using Tile Root for Nougat (Power menu: shutdown, reboot, recovery, bootloader) and the Spartan microscopic 164 kb & no background services Power Menu (Reboot, Recovery, Download mode, Bootloader, Hot Boot (requires busybox which I don't have), Safe Boot (Safe Mode) & Shutdown - with toggle to enable/disable annoying confirmation dialog) because I want to extend the life expectancy of my flaky power button and I got zero "Forced Factory Reset". (screenshots attachments)

...(it happend 2 times for me) Still, we don't know why this is happening.

I think you guys are referring to BUGBASH-834 Forced factory reset and can contribute there but include a description of the system mods you did & some logs if you can.

My device keeps freezing while shutting it down... I have to remove the battery or boot into twrp and shut it down through recovery... Doesn't matter which kernel (stock aosp/boeffla)...

The Tile & app above may be a workaround for you.

Looking at the post history of all you 3 guys, you flash ROMs often, tweak custom kernels & some use Magisk.

If you don't TWRP clean Format Data once in a while and just wipe & dirty flash, you may carry some corrupted files & incomplete wipes which may explain your problems.

I had zero of those problems in 2 months running on my S3 100% stock LOS 14.1 + Gapps Nano + Lineage su addon with a super clean install.

SIM Prepaid & APN?

Yes, swollen battery... The APN's that are being utilized by the phone are NOT T-Mobile APNs..the phone will switch to Net10... a true T-Mobile alternate (StraightTalk)...these Non-TMobile APNs....

Oh My Gosh! I searched for "fun" with Net10 TracFone Straight Talk and found this page: "TracFONE Wireless, Inc. is a prepaid mobile virtual network operator... América Móvil... under multiple brands which include TracFone, NET10 Wireless, Total Wireless, Straight Talk..".

So my guess is you don't have a true T-Mobile SIM card which may explain all your APN problems. Remove your SIM and check the logo on it. These links may be useful:
  1. US database of operators using beginning of phone number: https://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-detail
  2. APN Settings and Instructions https://www.net10wireless.com/apn
  3. https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/help/apn
  4. https://www.tracfone.com/apn
  5. Apps: Phone and SIM Info (screenshot attachment: shows both SIM & Network operators which can be different but not in my case)
  6. ICCID of your SIM
sorry mate, its working perfectly, aside of the time it takes to show me the lock screen. I meant the zip of the new version of lineage OS

Good for you! Yes you can copy Lineage update...zip to external SD card & flash via TWRP without any loss of data.

Attachments

• Tile_Root_App_S3.jpg
    Tile_Root_App_S3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 419
  • Power_Menu_App_S3.png
    Power_Menu_App_S3.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 412
  • Phone_and_SIM_Info_App_S3_Blackout.png
    Phone_and_SIM_Info_App_S3_Blackout.png
    109.5 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    zYkSW7S.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 7.1 (Nougat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include "std_disclaimer.h"
    /*
     * Your warranty is void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

Wiki
    Official LineageOS Wiki: http://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/i9300

Known issues
    @curiousrom has a list of known issues/workarounds. You can see them here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76224958&postcount=4419

Installation
    (NOTE: if you experience robotic voice during calls: see the FAQ for a fix)
    Upgrading from CyanogenMod/unofficial LineageOS without wiping

First time LineageOS 14.1 installation on your Galaxy S III:
    • Read the official Wiki page
    • Flash a custom recovery via Heimdall or Odin
    • Push GApps (arm) and the Lineage 14.1 zip to your device
    • Boot into Recovery
    • Perform factory reset
    • Flash the Lineage 14.1 zip from SD card
    • Flash GApps from SD card
    • Reboot

Upgrading from earlier version of LineageOS:
    • Update your recovery - Lineage Recovery will be done automatically, TWRP can be downloaded from here (NOTE: you need 3.0.2-2 or higher to automatically install updates in Lineage 14.1)
    • Push the new Lineage 14.1 zip to your SD card
    • Boot into Recovery
    • Flash the Lineage 14.1 zip from SD card
    • Flash the most recent GApps for 7.1 if you are upgrading from earlier android version
    • Reboot

Downloads

Reporting bugs

Bug reports belong on JIRA. See our wiki for more information on using JIRA.

I do not check this thread regularly for bug reports. Using JIRA makes tracking down & debugging bugs a lot easier. Feel free to use this thread to discuss bugs, though :)

• DO NOT report bugs if you're running a custom kernel
    • DO NOT report bugs if you've modified system files
    • DO NOT report bugs if you've installed xposed and/or other mods
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • See how to submit a bug report for the appropriate place to report your bug (NOTE: the majority of bugs need to go in the BUGBASH tracker, which is only open on weekends).
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues or bugs already reported on JIRA. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    Phone Informations
    * Lineage version
    * Gapps version
    What you did:
    * Wipe data: y/n
    * Upgrade from previous official cm build: y/n
    * Restore with titanium backup: y/n
    You're using (if yes write which one) :
    * Task killer
    * Phone cleaner / Battery enhancer apps
    * Non-stock kernel
    * Modified kernel settings
    * Other mods
    Bug info:
    * Last version it worked on
    * Repro steps

Getting help

You can ask for help on our subreddit, on IRC: #LineageOS on Freenode

F.A.Q.
    Root?
    Flashable zips to install/uninstall root can be found here. Download the "arm" variants.

Robotic voice during calls?
    Try using the I9300XXUGMK6 modem. Instructions are here.

GPS Issues?
    Probably a hardware issue. Try tightening the screws on the back of the device, or see this video for more information (thanks to @baltics for the link)

The LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 14.1 for i9300, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S III I9300

Contributors
    forkbomb444
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information

Created 2017-01-25
    Last Updated 2018-04-30
    A little Oreo update for you all...

Linux 4.17 will have support for the S3/Note 2. (So with a little bit of modification, you could install a regular Linux distro and use it on your phone!). I'm working on getting the notification LED driver submitted upstream - it should land for 4.18, probably along with support for the back/menu keys.

I've gotten audio working, but it's in need of more testing. I also manages to test the camera:
    Yq7qXCO.jpg

I've managed to successfully load the firmware onto i9300/n7100's modem. Currently I'm working on rewriting the kernel driver that RIL communicates with - Samsung's old implementation was unnecessarily complex, and they made some interesting design decisions in the way the driver behaves... Hopefully that will be done relatively soon - you can watch the progress here
    I've got a few updates for you all :)

The bad news:
    A few things are broken with the HWC (Video recording is the main one at the moment). I've been quite busy recently IRL, so haven't had much time to work on this.
    Android 7.1.2 doesn't boot, something's super weird during very early boot (it hangs waiting for threads to finish before starting the system server). Fixing this is my priority for the moment.

The good news:
    I understand a little better how the camera HAL works, hopefully I'll be able to properly fix video recording (instead of using a hack in frameworks like we do now).
    I may even have some more free time in the next few weeks (no promises...)
    Hi!

• USB
    • Capacitive keys
    • Hardware keys
    • Sensors (on S3 only)
    • Wifi
    • Notification LED
    • HDMI (untested)
    • Cameras (untested)
    • Charging

• Audio
    • Note 2 sensors
    • Note 2 S-Pen support

Reserved

Builds are up! :)