[OFFICIAL][WEEKLY][7.1.2] LineageOS 14.1 for i9300

Search This thread

SRainheart

Feb 25, 2019
Hi. After some searching the thread i can't find answer for the problem i have. I've successfully installed LOS from TWRP.
I have over 10 GiB free internal space and 32 Gib Transcend class 10 external SD.
Formatting External SD as Internal had no success - as i understand - it is SD card problem (but i tried 2 cards same type). So External SD now as a portable.
First problem i've met - after launching Camera app i've got error "insert SD card.." and so on.
Ok, it is not problem - just installed another Camera app and set photo directory on External SD - without the path i cann't save photo/video from camera.
Next - Viber - after successfully installation - i can chat (but cann't see all media recieved), i can do video/audio call, but i can't do photo/video from viber while trying to send photo/video - there is an error - "low storage space". The same error appears when viber automatically tries to download stickers.
I've a root access.
Any advice?
Thanks

No More Official LineageOS 14.1 for S3 i9300 - Support Dropped!

Well it has been a good run but the LineageOS Team stopped building new Official LineageOS 14.1 for all devices including the S3 i9300. :crying:

LineageOS Gerrit commit 242408: Prepare for 16.0 was merged on February 24, 2019: "14.1 is now deprecated. 15.1 is now weekly."

All builds older than 5 weeks will be removed from the LineageOS servers eventually.

Expand lineage-build-targets on that page to see the devices affected.

If your device like the S3 i9300 is not in the right side of the LineageOS Gerrit 241918: hudson: The real lineage-16.0 ship commit & expanding > lineage-build-targets then no more new Official LineageOS for you.

Note that in the top left of the commit page it says @ the present "Active" which means it's still under review. It will say Merged when approved.

Again: Unless the LineageOS Team change their policy, all builds older than 5 weeks will be removed from the LineageOS servers eventually so backup now the ones you want to preserve for possible future use: https://download.lineageos.org/i9300

Edit: you can find the last 2 official LineageOS 14.1 for S3 i9300 builds in this archive: https://files.moskvich.xyz/LineageOS/14.1/i9300/ Most recent unofficial compiled by @NZedPred which include security patches: https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=290848&sort_by=date&sort_dir=DESC

Looking at https://stats.lineageos.org/ there is 42,000 active i9300 LineageOS users as of today. Clicking on i9300 you can see the breakdown of the builds in use currently: https://stats.lineageos.org/model/i9300

Last edited:

sonvegeta

Feb 22, 2015
Jundiaí
Well it has been a good run but the LineageOS Team stopped building new Official LineageOS 14.1 for all devices including the S3 i9300. :crying:

LineageOS Gerrit commit 242408: Prepare for 16.0 was merged on February 24, 2019: "14.1 is now deprecated. 15.1 is now weekly."

All builds older than 5 weeks will be removed from the LineageOS servers eventually.

Expand lineage-build-targets on that page to see the devices affected.

If your device like the S3 i9300 is not in the right side of the LineageOS Gerrit 241918: hudson: The real lineage-16.0 ship commit & expanding > lineage-build-targets then no more new Official LineageOS for you.

Note that in the top left of the commit page it says @ the present "Active" which means it's still under review. It will say Merged when approved.

Again: Unless the LineageOS Team change their policy, all builds older than 5 weeks will be removed from the LineageOS servers eventually so backup now the ones you want to preserve for possible future use: https://download.lineageos.org/i9300

Looking at https://stats.lineageos.org/ there is 42,000 active i9300 LineageOS users as of today. Clicking on i9300 you can see the breakdown of the builds in use currently: https://stats.lineageos.org/model/i9300

Quite bad. However, those buids (Los 15.1 unnoficial betas) are very good, which means the thing is on its way.

Reactions: N-Gage4ever
Hi. After some searching the thread i can't find answer for the problem i have. I've successfully installed LOS from TWRP.
I have over 10 GiB free internal space and 32 Gib Transcend class 10 external SD.
Formatting External SD as Internal had no success - as i understand - it is SD card problem (but i tried 2 cards same type). So External SD now as a portable.
First problem i've met - after launching Camera app i've got error "insert SD card.." and so on.
Ok, it is not problem - just installed another Camera app and set photo directory on External SD - without the path i cann't save photo/video from camera.
Next - Viber - after successfully installation - i can chat (but cann't see all media recieved), i can do video/audio call, but i can't do photo/video from viber while trying to send photo/video - there is an error - "low storage space". The same error appears when viber automatically tries to download stickers.
I've a root access.
Any advice?
Thanks

You should get asked for storage access and if you granted it, you have to close the app and open it again to get the permissions inside the app working.
This is a bug but not a big deal if you know the workaround.
If it didn't ask for the permission, you may grant it manually for each app in settings.

About the internal storage formated sd card i can't help you, it worked just fine back when I used my galaxy s3 as daily driver and now it is running unoffical 15.1 so testing on that won't help you anyways.

Good luck

SRainheart

Feb 25, 2019
You should get asked for storage access and if you granted it, you have to close the app and open it again to get the permissions inside the app working.
This is a bug but not a big deal if you know the workaround.
If it didn't ask for the permission, you may grant it manually for each app in settings.

About the internal storage formated sd card i can't help you, it worked just fine back when I used my galaxy s3 as daily driver and now it is running unoffical 15.1 so testing on that won't help you anyways.

Good luck
Hmmm.
Thanks for reply.
I don't get it.
I have grant on it.
Is it on Settings-Apps-NameOfApplication-Permitions-Storage (Checked on) ??
If it is - so i have it. Trying stop Viber, uncheck, start, stop, check, start.
Didn't try to clear data during operations.
Or is there any other access settings?

Hmmm.
Thanks for reply.
I don't get it.
I have grant on it.
Is it on Settings-Apps-NameOfApplication-Permitions-Storage (Checked on) ??
If it is - so i have it. Trying stop Viber, uncheck, start, stop, check, start.
Didn't try to clear data during operations.
Or is there any other access settings?
Hmm this is strange and no there isn´t anything else that is related to the storage.
Can you access your internal storage using the built in file manager?

Maybe the build is broken, try an older build if avaiable.

SRainheart

Feb 25, 2019
Hmm this is strange and no there isn´t anything else that is related to the storage.
Can you access your internal storage using the built in file manager?

Maybe the build is broken, try an older build if avaiable.
Yes - i'll try.
That is strange - i see chapter sdcard1 (my external) and GT-I9300 with 0B free on it (selecting it gives me no result)
-
update
strange but older release works fine

Last edited:

Feb 16, 2019
Yes the phone app is slow on the S3 i9300. Check Incoming Call Screen On Lag.

"baseband: i9300xxugna8" - That's "30.01.14" according to this post.

I attached the most recent S3 i9300 modem I9300XXUGOK1 (2015-Nov-25) and the one I am using in Costa Rica I9300UBUGNK1 (2014-Nov-6) as TWRP flashable files to this post. In the OP of that thread you can find NEUGOA1 (2015-Jan-26). That's the 3 most recent modems for the S3 i9300. The higher the last 4 alphanumeric characters, the more recent the modem is.

btw i did try the modems you suggested, it didnt do anything to solve my "unknown" outgoing calls problem, and since i think my other problem was related to the Google Phone app it didnt really make much of a difference for me, with these new modems.

Edit: i managed to fix the "unknown" calls problem by installing xposed and this module, https://repo.xposed.info/module/ru.timjosten.unknownnumberfix

Last edited:

N-Gage4ever

While I thank you for the pointer about enabling Google Assistant if Google search app is installed, I can't thank your post @ the present because of these things bugging me. Sorry to be critical but there are hundreds of people reading this thread with all different level of knowledge & precautions are important:

1- You can't suggest to blindly flash your zip which modifies the very important system/build.prop file without describing exactly what it does and why. :eek: In your previous post here which you deleted you had this & several other explanations:

# Enable Google Assistant on low RAM devices
ro.opa.eligible_device=true

2- If you make a flashable zip that modifies a critical system file, you should describe how to backup the original one & for people without root: make a flashable return to stock. I used the ZIPme app to make a return to stock TWRP recovery flashable build.prop valid only for LineageOS 14.1 for S3 i9300 build 2018-07-26 and attached it to this post.

3- Be clear like in your other post that your zip is valid only for build 2018-07-26 and no other one because it contains specific info for that build.

4- Maybe describe how to use a build prop editor app so people don't have to download & flash a new zip every time they update Lineage? (that app has auto-backup option in Settings) Just replace ro.opa.eligible_device=true with false & reboot to disable Assistant for example.

5- Maybe separate the Assistant enabling from the other unrelated tweaking stuff?

6- Maybe change your OS language to English before making screenshots as not many XDA users understand German?

While I dislike Google Assistant because it's contrary to my DIY, privacy & lean system philosophy it was interesting to try so thanks again. (Assistant is using 80~125MB RAM on my S3)

Food for thought; a search: google assistant privacy concerns and from Google Support: Choose what to share with your Google Assistant

The worst was saying No Thanks to sharing Web & App activity with Google Assistant & it kept nagging me with the same request again & again after a few minutes. :eek:
Hey can we flash it to the latest version of the Rom to get activated Google Assistant?

NZedPred

Mar 16, 2016
Wellington
Samsung Galaxy A72 4G
Unofficial build - Feb 2019 security patches

And so someone must fill the void...

I currently do unofficial Lineage Nougat builds for another device, so it's not a big deal for me to do builds for this one as well. As long as the repos are still getting commits (it looks as if this will continue as long as others in the community continue to contribute in this way, much like how the Marshmallow repos are being maintained with security patches - they have Jan 2019 security), I can do builds.

So, first up, a build done as of now, which will have the February 2019 security patches.
lineage-14.1-20190302-UNOFFICIAL-i9300.zip

I'll also keep some copies of any builds I do in this folder in Dropbox
i9300 Lineage Nougat

Hit thanks if you want me to keep contributing by doing builds moving forwards.

joesnose

Dec 5, 2009
A little Oreo update for you all...

Linux 4.17 will have support for the S3/Note 2. (So with a little bit of modification, you could install a regular Linux distro and use it on your phone!). I'm working on getting the notification LED driver submitted upstream - it should land for 4.18, probably along with support for the back/menu keys.

I've gotten audio working, but it's in need of more testing. I also manages to test the camera:
Yq7qXCO.jpg

I've managed to successfully load the firmware onto i9300/n7100's modem. Currently I'm working on rewriting the kernel driver that RIL communicates with - Samsung's old implementation was unnecessarily complex, and they made some interesting design decisions in the way the driver behaves... Hopefully that will be done relatively soon - you can watch the progress here

Hello , this is great news. I have a note 2 and would like to be able to run linux natively. Do you have a link to a guide as to how to accomplish this? Thanks

PACMAN456

May 8, 2015
I'm getting an error when installing this rom on twrp. it says "error executing updater binary in zip". Do you know what the problem is ? thanks

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

And so someone must fill the void...

I currently do unofficial Lineage Nougat builds for another device, so it's not a big deal for me to do builds for this one as well. As long as the repos are still getting commits (it looks as if this will continue as long as others in the community continue to contribute in this way, much like how the Marshmallow repos are being maintained with security patches - they have Jan 2019 security), I can do builds.

So, first up, a build done as of now, which will have the February 2019 security patches.
lineage-14.1-20190302-UNOFFICIAL-i9300.zip

I'll also keep some copies of any builds I do in this folder in Dropbox
i9300 Lineage Nougat

Hit thanks if you want me to keep contributing by doing builds moving forwards.

I'm getting an error when installing this rom on twrp. it says "error executing updater binary in zip". Do you know what the problem is ? thanks

underdoq

Jul 28, 2015
Thanks

Is this rom more safer to use than those other available one's that i've found also to be most popular(oreo beta and pie alpha). I guess 500+ replies on this thread say something. Pls share you opinion. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    zYkSW7S.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 7.1 (Nougat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include "std_disclaimer.h"
    /*
     * Your warranty is void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

Wiki
    Official LineageOS Wiki: http://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/i9300

Known issues
    @curiousrom has a list of known issues/workarounds. You can see them here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76224958&postcount=4419

Installation
    (NOTE: if you experience robotic voice during calls: see the FAQ for a fix)
    Upgrading from CyanogenMod/unofficial LineageOS without wiping

First time LineageOS 14.1 installation on your Galaxy S III:
    • Read the official Wiki page
    • Flash a custom recovery via Heimdall or Odin
    • Push GApps (arm) and the Lineage 14.1 zip to your device
    • Boot into Recovery
    • Perform factory reset
    • Flash the Lineage 14.1 zip from SD card
    • Flash GApps from SD card
    • Reboot

Upgrading from earlier version of LineageOS:
    • Update your recovery - Lineage Recovery will be done automatically, TWRP can be downloaded from here (NOTE: you need 3.0.2-2 or higher to automatically install updates in Lineage 14.1)
    • Push the new Lineage 14.1 zip to your SD card
    • Boot into Recovery
    • Flash the Lineage 14.1 zip from SD card
    • Flash the most recent GApps for 7.1 if you are upgrading from earlier android version
    • Reboot

Downloads

Reporting bugs

Bug reports belong on JIRA. See our wiki for more information on using JIRA.

I do not check this thread regularly for bug reports. Using JIRA makes tracking down & debugging bugs a lot easier. Feel free to use this thread to discuss bugs, though :)

• DO NOT report bugs if you're running a custom kernel
    • DO NOT report bugs if you've modified system files
    • DO NOT report bugs if you've installed xposed and/or other mods
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • See how to submit a bug report for the appropriate place to report your bug (NOTE: the majority of bugs need to go in the BUGBASH tracker, which is only open on weekends).
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues or bugs already reported on JIRA. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    Phone Informations
    * Lineage version
    * Gapps version
    What you did:
    * Wipe data: y/n
    * Upgrade from previous official cm build: y/n
    * Restore with titanium backup: y/n
    You're using (if yes write which one) :
    * Task killer
    * Phone cleaner / Battery enhancer apps
    * Non-stock kernel
    * Modified kernel settings
    * Other mods
    Bug info:
    * Last version it worked on
    * Repro steps

Getting help

You can ask for help on our subreddit, on IRC: #LineageOS on Freenode

F.A.Q.
    Root?
    Flashable zips to install/uninstall root can be found here. Download the "arm" variants.

Robotic voice during calls?
    Try using the I9300XXUGMK6 modem. Instructions are here.

GPS Issues?
    Probably a hardware issue. Try tightening the screws on the back of the device, or see this video for more information (thanks to @baltics for the link)

The LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 14.1 for i9300, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S III I9300

Contributors
    forkbomb444
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information

Created 2017-01-25
    Last Updated 2018-04-30
    A little Oreo update for you all...

Linux 4.17 will have support for the S3/Note 2. (So with a little bit of modification, you could install a regular Linux distro and use it on your phone!). I'm working on getting the notification LED driver submitted upstream - it should land for 4.18, probably along with support for the back/menu keys.

I've gotten audio working, but it's in need of more testing. I also manages to test the camera:
    Yq7qXCO.jpg

I've managed to successfully load the firmware onto i9300/n7100's modem. Currently I'm working on rewriting the kernel driver that RIL communicates with - Samsung's old implementation was unnecessarily complex, and they made some interesting design decisions in the way the driver behaves... Hopefully that will be done relatively soon - you can watch the progress here
    I've got a few updates for you all :)

The bad news:
    A few things are broken with the HWC (Video recording is the main one at the moment). I've been quite busy recently IRL, so haven't had much time to work on this.
    Android 7.1.2 doesn't boot, something's super weird during very early boot (it hangs waiting for threads to finish before starting the system server). Fixing this is my priority for the moment.

The good news:
    I understand a little better how the camera HAL works, hopefully I'll be able to properly fix video recording (instead of using a hack in frameworks like we do now).
    I may even have some more free time in the next few weeks (no promises...)
    Hi!

Android O has a lot of changes, including to the kernel. Google supports as far back as 3.10 (five years old!). Backporting these changes to Linux 3.0 (seven years old!) might be possible, but no matter how hard I try, the kernel will have huge numbers of vulnerabilities. Going forward, more and more effort will be required to continue maintaining it.

So, before working on Oreo I've decided to port i9300/i9305/n7100/t0lte to mainline Linux. This is going to take a while - I started working on this in earnest at the end of last year. Currently, there's no OpenGL support - so instead I've been using a traditional Linux distribution to develop on.

Currently, there's a pretty neat list of things working (keep in mind, I haven't even attempted to boot Android on this yet...):
    • Display + panel brightness (on S3 and Note 2)
    • USB
    • Capacitive keys
    • Hardware keys
    • Sensors (on S3 only)
    • Wifi
    • Notification LED
    • HDMI (untested)
    • Cameras (untested)
    • Touchscreen (on S3 and Note 2)
    • Charging

Fortunately, the lima project exists for OpenGL on Mali 400. So far, it can render spinning cubes - but I don't think it's quite far enough to handle Android yet...

That leaves the main things left to figure out:
    • GPS (will require a lot of work - reversing the protocol used...)
    • Modem (I've started working on i9300/n7100, but it's not yet booting fully)
    • BT (should be super easy)
    • Audio
    • Note 2 sensors
    • Note 2 S-Pen support

You can see my progress in my github repository.
    Reserved

Builds are up! :)