** OFFICIAL ** What's The Best ROM, Kernel, Etc Thread

Search This thread

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Ok folks, this is the only OFFICIAL "What's the best rom, kernel, etc" thread.

This thread will be closely watched by Moderators.

Generally XDA frowns upon threads posted by users asking the same question. It clogs the threads, and makes it more difficult to search.

Please do not abuse this thread.

This IS NOT an off topic thread.

RULES

* Follow XDA rules on posting (abusive, profanity, etc)
* Do not flame other roms and such. Show respect for the people who do the work.
* Opinions are subjective. What you like, others may not. Respect choices.

Enjoy.

MD

Last edited:

Shreps

Recognized Developer
Feb 13, 2012
Paris
moto.shreps.fr
Nice thread, maybe you can list what's available (making difference between A700 & A510) splitting by 2 categories : Acer ROM based, AOSP ROM based :)
Cheers

boringest

May 15, 2012
new user here, so what's the best ROM for A700s? alot of people seem to be on the iconian but it seems the developer is gone, so I guess it should be the cm10.1 version by pawitp?

don't plan to do alot of gaming on it, mainly for magazine reading & web browsing since i've amassed a whole lot of unread zinio magazines which I've subscribed using the free codes they've been generously giving me over the last year.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
new user here, so what's the best ROM for A700s? alot of people seem to be on the iconian but it seems the developer is gone, so I guess it should be the cm10.1 version by pawitp?

don't plan to do alot of gaming on it, mainly for magazine reading & web browsing since i've amassed a whole lot of unread zinio magazines which I've subscribed using the free codes they've been generously giving me over the last year.

Not sure what happened to vorbeth and iconian. Most of the roms have been around for awhile, and not a lot of issues.

pawitp has the CM which gets updates.

There,s a rootbox version, and Iconian. Iconian runs Acer build.

As with running Acer builds, we're dependant on Acer to push updates, which unfortunately doesn't happen often. However, in my opinion, there's less incompatibility issues with games. Just my opinion. This is why you don't see a lot of updates on the roms. Example, I'll push my first update since release. Audio improvements for folks that appreciate good audio. A little theming, and custom Acer ring.

I'd say flash them all, and see what works best for you. You usually know within a day or so, if you like the rom.

Reactions: boringest

boringest

May 15, 2012
You are right, I flashed them all. Somehow stock is faster than CM & Iconian but your ROM is the best :D Thanks

Stable Distortion

Sep 12, 2013
I flashed CM10.1.3 RC2 to my A700. Has been working well and I really enjoy the new features I gained coming from stock. Most importantly for me CM gave me a higher touch sensitivity which drastically improved my user experience and was the main reason I switched to CM. It can have some lag tho.

I was thinking about flashing the kiteman V4.1 kernel to see if it helps with the lag, but I need to verify if the "Very High" touch sensitivity option will still be available. If anyone can advise it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I was thinking about flashing the latest Evil Alex ROM because I have read good reviews. Again, most importantly I need to verify whether touch sensitivity will be increased comparable to CM10.1. Perhaps Moscow Desire or boringest you can inform me?

mrzottel

Feb 22, 2011
Dortmund
I would say pawtips' CM 10.2 worked best for me so far. The performance is great and feels far less sluggish than stock, which I had before. Also not having all the branding stuff from Acer also improved the device a lot ;)

m.arief

Sep 6, 2012
I would say pawtips' CM 10.2 worked best for me so far. The performance is great and feels far less sluggish than stock, which I had before. Also not having all the branding stuff from Acer also improved the device a lot ;)

hi thanks for acer A701 CM 3G enabled ROM..
first i'm installed your rom, mrzottel 10.2 CM Build1 before CM 11 3G enabled.. work great on my acerA701..
then install with pawitp CM 11 after 3G enabled,

my problem after install CM 11..

sometimes my Acer A701 can not wake up from sleep by power button, it must be hardreset with power button.
just like android black screen of death syndrome
Not really sure, but this problem happen after receive automatic update from play store.. downloading apps never finish then A701 frozen when screen off.

(i'm not install fresh apps from playstore, just restore some user apps+data from titanium backup. is it problem?)

dont know what to do. three time or more, try reinstall CM11 rom and gapps, wipe data from CWM 6.0.4.4 and do factory reset
but problem still there..

now i'm back with Build1 atm

Edit:

my acer A701 screen off problem, after install CM 11 with ROM
cm-11-20140112-UNOFFICIAL-3G-a700.zip
MD5-SUM : 26FD6B17954AFE7852C5755871EC4964

today try reinstall ROM with latest Build CM 11 for A700/A701 3G from pawitp thread
cm-11-20140118-NIGHTLY-a700.zip
MD-5SUM : 4265BF680C510DE08C4654A7F1D28DCA

seems my Acer A701 screen off problem fix.. :D

Thanks

Last edited:

m.arief

Sep 6, 2012
i've got the same problem on my A701 i try 2 roms

cm-11-20140121-NIGHTLY-a700

cm-11-20140123-NIGHTLY-a700

any ideas?

i just do some experiment,
replace CM 11 /system/bin/rild with CM 10.2 rild

adding build.prop line with:
rild.libpath=/system/lib/libhuawei-ril.so
rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyUSB2

one hours trying A701 playing rock music album from Apollo, check on off powerbutton every
5minutes ,
Screen-off problem not occurs yet

but another problem with 3G

*A701 can see network, but 3G Data not connected (3G icon signal bar full)
*set DNS > No network DNS: blank , ip : blank
*wifi works fine

hope someone check CM11 rild file for us A701 users

mdkathon

Nov 21, 2010
Seattle
Ok folks, this is the only OFFICIAL "What's the best rom, kernel, etc" thread.

This thread will be closely watched by Moderators.

Generally XDA frowns upon threads posted by users asking the same question. It clogs the threads, and makes it more difficult to search.

Please do not abuse this thread.

This IS NOT an off topic thread.

RULES

* Follow XDA rules on posting (abusive, profanity, etc)
* Do not flame other roms and such. Show respect for the people who do the work.
* Opinions are subjective. What you like, others may not. Respect choices.

Enjoy.

MD
Hey A700 users. I'm helping a friend and offered to patch up his A700 from what appears to be stock Android 4.1.1 Build Acer_AV051_A700_1.052.00_PA_CUS1. This does not appear to be the 3G model. I don't see anything in the ROM for mobile networks, and what appears to be the SIM slot next to Micro SD looks like it has a glued in plastic tab in it, not user removable without a bit of force.

So, looks like I need to unlock bootloader, install TWRP/CWM, and choose a ROM which is where my question is aimed. I'm wanting to choose a ROM that is mostly up to date, but also does not have any hardware issues. It appears that CM 12.1 has issues with HDMI which I would like to avoid.

I'm looking for in priority:

1) All hardware working (no workarounds, or other things I need to add as a "if this happens go here and do that" kind of stuff)
2) Stable
3) Up to date.

It appears a lot of ROMs are not seeing much activity which is understandable due to the age of the tablet. I'm keen to just flash this once onto something that is a good daily driver and be done.

After some additional digging I'm thinking about CM11: https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_a700

It's strait forward, I know CM well enough....

Last edited:

monacoo

Jan 30, 2006
I still have my old A510 wall mounted for home automation on CM11 4.4.4 . But the problem is that I can not install newer applications. Any way to get newer version of android on it?

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
FYI, I just installed our last Android 6 build (https://builds.unlegacy-android.org/aosp-6.0/picasso2/) to my A700 that I'm giving to a relative, as I believe it is rather stable. It's the last stable Android version for this device (Android 7+ has various graphics issues), and it uses kernel 3.4. It can be used with an up-to-date TWRP, such as: https://xdaforums.com/t/a51x-a70x-aka-picasso-2-recovery-twrp-3-1-1-0.2678284/.

I'm sure there was a thread for it here, but I just can't find it now...

supergonzo74

Aug 13, 2019
I upgraded my A700 from latest official CM11 to above mentioned unlegacy build. Unfortunately since then I'm experiencing massive audio distortion so that I had to revert back. Is there anything I missed or anyone with same experience?

bullet157

Dec 8, 2020
FYI, I just installed our last Android 6 build (https://builds.unlegacy-android.org/aosp-6.0/picasso2/) to my A700 that I'm giving to a relative, as I believe it is rather stable. It's the last stable Android version for this device (Android 7+ has various graphics issues), and it uses kernel 3.4. It can be used with an up-to-date TWRP, such as: https://xdaforums.com/t/a51x-a70x-aka-picasso-2-recovery-twrp-3-1-1-0.2678284/.

I'm sure there was a thread for it here, but I just can't find it now...
I think you should post this on the front page. This is the most up to date rom i can see in the forum. I have installed and its like i have a new device. But your post is hidden away here and i came across is by accident.

bullet157

Dec 8, 2020
I didn't realise i could upload files🙈 hopefully it works.

Attachments

• ua_picasso2-6.0.1-20180630-0851.zip
    189.2 MB · Views: 61
Reactions: Sgt-Obst

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Not sure what happened to vorbeth and iconian. Most of the roms have been around for awhile, and not a lot of issues.

pawitp has the CM which gets updates.

There,s a rootbox version, and Iconian. Iconian runs Acer build.

As with running Acer builds, we're dependant on Acer to push updates, which unfortunately doesn't happen often. However, in my opinion, there's less incompatibility issues with games. Just my opinion. This is why you don't see a lot of updates on the roms. Example, I'll push my first update since release. Audio improvements for folks that appreciate good audio. A little theming, and custom Acer ring.

I'd say flash them all, and see what works best for you. You usually know within a day or so, if you like the rom.
    I think you should post this on the front page. This is the most up to date rom i can see in the forum. I have installed and its like i have a new device. But your post is hidden away here and i came across is by accident.
    Hi,
    Can you share the rom file? The download link is broken ...
    I didn't realise i could upload files🙈 hopefully it works.