• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. To discuss, report bugs and other issues, use this thread.

[OFFICIAL XDA][BETA][MAR 19]XDA Labs: Forum App + App Installer + Xposed Repo

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto

Hi everyone,

We (at XDA) have been working on something. :eek:

This is XDA Labs. The name isn't final, and this is not the "official" launch... but we are (quietly) giving you guys a chance to try it out so we can get some feedback. So....what is it?

First and foremost, it's a speedy way to access the forums (ad-free!). You'll see a lot that's familiar with XDA One, because we merged the code into Labs and made a handful of much-needed improvements.

Second, it's a new way to access all the Xposed modules you love.

And third, it's a way to distribute apps-- and eventually all sorts of stuff that people upload to XDA. It is 100% pro-developer in that 1) we allow all types of apps (including stuff not allowed on Play), 2) we don't remove apps without warning and without communication to the developer, 3) we enable developers to sell apps, receiving 100% of the proceeds directly, 4) we accept Bitcoin payment, which is fast, easy, and low cost, and 5) we utilize alpha, beta and stable release channels so devs can have control in how they distribute apps to users. :highfive:

If you are a developer and want to add your app, go here: https://labs.xda-developers.com/

Otherwise...use the app, and tell us what you think! Again, Labs is very much Beta right now so keep your expectations in check! :D

XDA:DevDB Information
XDA Labs, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
blk_jack, svetius, bitpushr, rwestergren

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 1.1.6
Beta Release Date: 2018-03-19

Created 2015-11-05
Last Updated 2018-03-19

Last edited:

Customyyy

Sep 4, 2020
Hi, I need help to install bliss Rom because I can't, someone could help me, please, Thanks
xiaomi Redmi 8a de 2gb ram y 32 internal memory

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
I wanted to mention a minor issue with the labs app.
at some point the htc evo 3d forums were all combined into the lowest level forum. the general, q&a, cdma/gsm development forums (and any others I forgot to mention) have all vanished and their threads are now all in the base htc evo 3d forum only organized by date of last post.
the issue with the app is that all the now-nonexistent subforums are still listed in the app, and they're all dead links that either don't work at all or lead to other forums unrelated to the evo 3d.
if that could be cleaned up, it'd look better, and also stop reminding me that all the previous organization that made it easier to search things for that device is gone.
running the labs 1.1.6b.
reproduce the issue by searching for htc evo 3d and look at the crazy number of results that don't lead anywhere relevant anymore. the only forum link that works from those search results is the top result.

Last edited:

A.Almograby

Dec 22, 2013
I had this issue a few times. The only way I found that worked for me is to change my password in this manner:

1. Clear cache and data then force close XDA Labs

2. Open your browser and go to XDA website and sign in with just your user name. Then select 'forgot password'.

3. When you receive your XDA generated password, go thru the steps to reset your password, sign in then out of XDA via your browser, then sign in to XDA Labs app.

I kept the XDA generated password the third time it happened. I did not change it as I had the same issue happen again when I inadvertently cleared data for Labs. Went thru the above mentioned steps again it has not occured again in a few months. I can't say for sure if this will remedy any one elses log in issue. Hope this may help someone.
Any update on this? I'm getting frustrated with thit. No matter what I try the app won't let me sign in. Even though I'm signed in just fine on my desktop.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Any update on this? I'm getting frustrated with thit. No matter what I try the app won't let me sign in. Even though I'm signed in just fine on my desktop.
This may not be much help or solace but, I suspect that the focus focus might be now be on larger scale back-end and other improvements. Also, for what it's worth; today is not a good day to test stuff. I'm seeing odd things in web browser such as profile page rearranged and or missing components and expand thanks button going to blank page. That's the web side rather than the Labs side but something (a break or a fix) is going on today.

Last edited:

golden7

Apr 30, 2016
Same problem, reported here also Cloudflare block if using VPN (overcome by using obfuscated VPN connectio). The sign in problem is separate from VPN block - Login and PW entered correctly, but denied. Have to restore data backup from Titanium to get logged back in.

coal686

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee / Develope
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
The plan is to roll the new site and mobile app out in October so for a few weeks, it might be better to just use a mobile browser. They don't want to waste resources on an app that is being deprecated.
We should get a public beta of this
Sent from my LM-V600 using XDA Labs
It's been beta tested for a while privately so at this point, I think instead of delaying further with a public beta, they're just rolling it out and then dealing with (hopefully minor) issues as they come up.

A.Almograby

Dec 22, 2013
The plan is to roll the new site and mobile app out in October so for a few weeks, it might be better to just use a mobile browser. They don't want to waste resources on an app that is being deprecated.

It's been beta tested for a while privately so at this point, I think instead of delaying further with a public beta, they're just rolling it out and then dealing with (hopefully minor) issues as they come up.
I'd totally do that. However, my problem is I'm forced to use the app since I'm trying to purchase some apps which the mobile browser doesn't support and redirects me to xda lap app every single time.

Chaternet

Dec 31, 2011
Zahedan
www.And-Roid.ir
A great app that I'd like to see updated with more features and more up-to-go and a problem for people in countries sanctioned by Google and others that sends network error messages on the app's home page and the search field.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Please pardon some ambient rage but on one side of me is the labs app where the quickest way to interact in a thread is to keep the app properties open and force close it as soon as a spinner seems too persistent (2-3 seconds) then reopen app, re navigate, and post. That's a terrible way to treat a database but it takes 1/3 the time to post something. On the other side is the website which, this time with no scripts being blocked, is requesting captcha then going to a bad request error.

Gaaaaah! I'm certainly not the only one who feels that the new iteration of interface cannot arrive soon enough.

[EDIT] I can edit this post in the Labs thread but not this pst in the MiX FAQ thread where I am asked for non-functional captha.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=65157363&postcount=6

Is that captha [email protected] a byproduct of the post being too long or containing invalid characters or certain types of links?. I have no way to edit that material even when obligated to make changes. Again pardon my frustration but if anyone know a way to work around CRAPtcha I'm all ears.

[EDIT2] In one of the seemingly failed edits the changes were posted which is ironic because in a previous iteration of this problem things went the other way and a big post was lost (to be later recovered). I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead today.

Last edited:

woodman

Senior Moderator / Mod & RC-RT Cmtes / MC Lead
Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
@IronTechmonkey

My understanding is reCAPTCHA can be avoided by having to maintain smaller posts (trust me, I have to deal with big posts in the private moderator forum). I suggest you to split your posts and it should be fine. If you need assistance to do this by adding reserved posts for you in your thread, please PM me, I would be happy to help, me or any other Moderator.

Months/(years?) ago I think this reCAPTCHA thingie was not implemented on he site... If I remember correctly, it was set after heavy and repetitive DDoS attacks that were ruining the site for days... Our huge XDA based on vbulletin is/was very hard to maintain and it has been running like this until now.

Hopefully the new XDA based on XenForo will be live before end of October and those issues will be gone.

Last edited:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
My understanding is reCAPTCHA can be avoided by having to maintain smaller posts (trust me, I have to deal with big posts in the private moderator forum). I suggest you to split your posts and it should be fine. If you need assistance to do this by adding reserved posts for you in your thread, please PM me, I would be happy to help, me or any other Moderator.
Thanks for the explanation. That's consistent with what I've seen as the issue occurs with long FAQ OPs and not with other shorter posts. I appreciate the offer to split posts and might take you up on that but for now I should be okay since I was already doing something like that for different reasons (using OPs as index for many posts within the thread).

Months/(years?) ago I think this reCAPTCHA thingie was not implemented on he site... If I remember correctly, it was set after heavy and repetitive DDoS attacks that were ruining the site for days... Our huge XDA based on vbulletin is/was very hard to maintain and it has been running like this until now.
That's also consistent with what I've seen, and coincides with the beggining of my ranting in this thread about cloudflare and other scripts.

Hopefully the new XDA based on XenForo will be live before end of October and those issues will be gone.
Indeed
Thanks again.

Last edited:

svetius

User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Will the new app be open source?
No, it will not. The new app is made by development firm Audentio and they own the code, however they're also very diligent about providing updates and support (we're paying them on a retainer to make sure we have their full attention). So whereas Labs was mostly worked on by one guy, blk_jack, with the new forum app we get a team :highfive:

That said, as mentioned in this portal announcement post, we might be willing to open source Labs if we can get a group of devs together to take over the development and planning of it. We've already gotten a few people to express interest and we're working to coordinate a group.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
[MENTION=5119654]... reCAPTCHA...
Your proper representation of the term reCAPTCHA juxtaposed with my accidental and intentional abuse of the word as craptcha reminds me of a silly old word-game joke for children.

Q: Two birds, PETE and his twin brother rePETE, were sitting on a fence when Pete flew away, so who was left?

A: rePETE

Q: Two birds, PETE and ...

That's a pre-technology bootloop!

:silly:

Last edited:

andy356

Jul 5, 2016
That said, as mentioned in this portal announcement post, we might be willing to open source Labs if we can get a group of devs together to take over the development and planning of it. We've already gotten a few people to express interest and we're working to coordinate a group.
What will happen to the API? Will you wait for the Labs team to be ready before the forum is updated so that the app doesn't stop working?

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Will the app get the new xda logo icon in an update?

There will be a new XDA forum for browser/PC soon and also another mobile app.
This XDA labs app will only survive if there will be enough people to develop it. Feel free to offer your cooperation.

No, it will not. The new app is made by development firm Audentio and they own the code, however they're also very diligent about providing updates and support (we're paying them on a retainer to make sure we have their full attention). So whereas Labs was mostly worked on by one guy, blk_jack, with the new forum app we get a team :highfive:

Sent from my Mi 9T using XDA Labs

G

GuestD4220

hi, i can not login, i had buy an app and now i can reinstall it.
when i can try to login labs says password user wrong but i i have also used the option to recover password

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
hi, i can not login, i had buy an app and now i can reinstall it.
when i can try to login labs says password user wrong but i i have also used the option to recover password
FYI, XDA is moving to a new infrastructure and a new app so there may not be much purpose to troubleshooting app problems at the moment. You can review recent pages of this thread for some information about the upcoming changes. Meanwhile I would suggest that you use a regular desktop web browser to make sure your credentials and login are OK or reset them. Then after you have your login working OK in web browser you could continue troubleshooting the app... But keep in mind that this will change in the next few weeks when the update occurs.

jhedfors

Oct 16, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Feature request:
Mark "Quotes/Mentions" as "Read" if viewed via the thread. Currently, it stays as unread unless I access it through the "Quotes/Mentions" link.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
Feature request:
Mark "Quotes/Mentions" as "Read" if viewed via the thread. Currently, it stays as unread unless I access it through the "Quotes/Mentions" link.
As just said by @sd_shadow we will soon have a new XDA forum app, so feature requests on the current forum app make no sense now, sorry but thanks anyway.
The issue you are reporting here is known and has been reported already but if you are still curious to know why the quotes/mentions counters are not automatically set to 0, you should read this:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/labs-t3241866/post78547983

Have a good day!

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Hi guys

I can't login to the forum section of the app any more

The blue login screen keeps saying invalid username / password though I'm using the right credentials

Version 1.1.6b

Any idea what's going on?

Thx
I've had that issue using express vpn.
Disabling vpn then logging in works.
Once logged in on app vpn can be enabled.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
On a related issue,
A couple of banking apps I use will not let me sign in un less I select a different country in express vpn.
Simply disabling the vpn didn't fix the signin issue.

Sent from my payton using XDA Labs

thkgop001

Jan 6, 2015
I've had that issue using express vpn.
Disabling vpn then logging in works.
Once logged in on app vpn can be enabled.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Thanks
Using Blokada here (and always have with no XDA login issues) with no other VPN

Tried disabling Blokada completely
Adding XDA as an exception

Still not able to login

Logged out from the XDA web completely
Cleaned the XDA app cache
Reinstalled the XDA app

Still not working :(

Super weird! Any ideas as to what to try next?

thkgop001

Jan 6, 2015
Thanks
Using Blokada here (and always have with no XDA login issues) with no other VPN

Tried disabling Blokada completely
Adding XDA as an exception

Still not able to login

Logged out from the XDA web completely
Cleaned the XDA app cache
Reinstalled the XDA app

Still not working :(

Super weird! Any ideas as to what to try next?
Hey guys
The app mysteriously started working just fine with my login today...no changes made to my setup.
Not complaining here... Fingers crossed that it keeps going!
Cheers!

andy356

Jul 5, 2016
Sorry guys, bit of a rant ahead regarding recent developments.

We'll be opening up github shortly! Beware that every time somebody asks we build the wall 10 feet higher though.
I can't help but look at this line and feel that XDA has been quite hypocritical here. XDA prides itself on hosting custom ROM development communities, and repeatedly calls out companies which don't release kernel sources for their devices on time. The 'name and shame' technique.

Yet you guys promised to open source your OWN app and didn't do so for FIVE WHOLE YEARS. What was the point? Why not just say it was closed source and be done with it? Why mislead users into thinking the app was going to be open sourced "shortly", for an increasingly ludicrous definition of "shortly"?

And now this app is being abandoned for what looks to be half a year, to be replaced by yet another proprietary app.

I refuse to use the new app. I will be uninstalling XDA Labs in 10 days and will use my browser to access the website instead.

Thank you, and again, sorry for the rant.

@Setialpha I recommend you remove XDA Labs from the list of FOSS apps installed using NanoDroid. It will stop working in 10 days, and was never FOSS to begin with, anyway.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Sorry guys, bit of a rant ahead regarding recent developments.

I can't help but look at this line and feel that XDA has been quite hypocritical here. XDA prides itself on hosting custom ROM development communities, and repeatedly calls out companies which don't release kernel sources for their devices on time. The 'name and shame' technique.

Yet you guys promised to open source your OWN app and didn't do so for FIVE WHOLE YEARS. What was the point? Why not just say it was closed source and be done with it? Why mislead users into thinking the app was going to be open sourced "shortly", for an increasingly ludicrous definition of "shortly"?

And now this app is being abandoned for what looks to be half a year, to be replaced by yet another proprietary app.

I refuse to use the new app. I will be uninstalling XDA Labs in 10 days and will use my browser to access the website instead.

Thank you, and again, sorry for the rant.

@Setialpha I recommend you remove XDA Labs from the list of FOSS apps installed using NanoDroid. It will stop working in 10 days, and was never FOSS to begin with, anyway.
What started as a reasonable (albeit ranty) observation quickly devolved into personal retribution :rolleyes:

92millmac

Apr 19, 2017
Is anybody else experiencing problems accessing Forums and Labs sections in the Labs app over the past few days? Interface seems to be authenticated and awaiting content but then reports network connection error. After logging out, then attempts to login report bad credentials. Forums is accessible through web browsers.
I'm also having trouble with this particular issue... I'm logged in Labs, but when the drawer opens, under my username it shows "network connectivity issues", although the news threads load fine. When I go to the apps screen all the images load but when I select any app, it doesn't load descriptions, no screenshots load or reviews either. I was using adguard as vpn and I saw where it and similar apps were causing issues so I reset all the settings in adguard back to default and uninstalled it, but the issue remained. I've tried uninstalling Labs, wiping cache and reinstalling but to no avail.... thanks in advance, and a huge thanks to all the dev's on XDA, you guys have been super helpful every since I joined the community, you guys are awesome! :)

jwarrior319

Aug 22, 2015
Black Creek, wi
I'm also having trouble with this particular issue... I'm logged in Labs, but when the drawer opens, under my username it shows "network connectivity issues", although the news threads load fine. When I go to the apps screen all the images load but when I select any app, it doesn't load descriptions, no screenshots load or reviews either. I was using adguard as vpn and I saw where it and similar apps were causing issues so I reset all the settings in adguard back to default and uninstalled it, but the issue remained. I've tried uninstalling Labs, wiping cache and reinstalling but to no avail.... thanks in advance, and a huge thanks to all the dev's on XDA, you guys have been super helpful every since I joined the community, you guys are awesome! :)
I believe its a result of the ongoing transition to the new system. They did say labs will be somewhat active/supported yet but they also need to find a dev team willing to keep working on it so i guess it may be down until then.

Sent from my OnePlus8T using XDA Labs

ChiDi9901

Sep 20, 2012
Wien
Just when I was curious why XDA Labs has been abandoned for over 2 years already (after revisiting the app that I haven't touched for a long time), I find out that there is going to be a big update soon. Man, I remember my nerdy days when I was browsing about hacky stuff for my past devices...
Nice to read that it's going to be revived I guess.

david72262

Jul 3, 2013
Oregon
There will be a new app, but it's currently in beta and so not released publicly yet.
Hopefully you guys will mention it here and post a Link in this thread to the new one. Labs app is only half working for me the last couple days I figure I know why after reading a few posts. Hopefully the new one will be all Labs was and better.

Davy49

Aug 3, 2011
Brandon
Hi,
I've enjoyed participating in the xda forum's for quite a while now, I recently installed the xda labs option on my android tablet. I'm having an issue with seeing a notification in the menu on the left side of the page that says: ' Network Connectivity Issue', so far I haven't found anyway to get rid of that notification. Has anyone else experienced that issue & if so how did you fix it ?
Thanks

pendragon666

May 31, 2012
Hi,
I've enjoyed participating in the xda forum's for quite a while now, I recently installed the xda labs option on my android tablet. I'm having an issue with seeing a notification in the menu on the left side of the page that says: ' Network Connectivity Issue', so far I haven't found anyway to get rid of that notification. Has anyone else experienced that issue & if so how did you fix it ?
Thanks
Same here.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

I was askimg about the app. The beta hasn't been updated for 2 years.

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Same here.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

I was askimg about the app. The beta hasn't been updated for 2 years.

To make things a little bit clearer: XDA Labs won't continue by itself. One main problem has ever been the fact that labs is almost a one man project with a little help.

So just complaining about an app everyone gets for free and that someone has made in his free time doesn't help at all and XDA labs will only exist, being supported and updated if some developers are willing to work on it.

Quoted from the XDA article ( https://www.xda-developers.com/big-changes-to-xda-forums-are-coming-soon/ ).

Support for XDA Labs is tentatively ending at the end of this year, but we’re exploring options to keep it going, because we know that a small handful of developers use Labs to distribute their app.We’re hoping to open source and find a team to take the reins and continue development, and if you’re a developer that wants to work on Labs, send a PM to svetius. We’d be delighted if Labs could continue, but as a small technical team and we don’t have the resources to maintain it.
So there's a forum update on the way also a new mobile app.
If XDA labs will exist beyond 2020 depends on the willingness of people to help.

Last edited:

Oswald Boelcke

Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Staff member
Apr 13, 2016
Preserving Air Supremacy over XDA
en.wikipedia.org
There haven't been any updates, but the site is scheduled to shutdown today and be down for sometime.
XDA Forum entering read-only starting 0400 GMT Dec 1st - or as I'd call it 20201201 0400 UTC!
The announcement is only visible in style XDA 2015 but please refer to attached screenshot.

coal686

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee / Develope
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
Hopefully you guys will mention it here and post a Link in this thread to the new one. Labs app is only half working for me the last couple days I figure I know why after reading a few posts. Hopefully the new one will be all Labs was and better.
I'm not sure if the plan was to mention it here, but once it's released, I'll try to remember personally. Although with all the great people that follow this thread, I'm sure someone will beat me to it.

As for the new app being better than Labs, it will be regarding using the forum. I think the goal is to have parity with the website as far as post features which Labs doesn't have. As for the other features of Labs, some might not make it over, but they are thinking of trying to find developers to continue those features.

Raiz

Jan 25, 2017
Your local skatepark
So for the time being we have to use XDA via Browser? As i read correctly.
XDA works fine when using the app from the Playstore. This post was posted using the Playstore app. But remember that 0400 GMT on the 1st of December XDA will go on read-only mode, so you won't be able to post with your browser either

david72262

Jul 3, 2013
Oregon
Thanks for the information guys yeah I never use a browser always use the labs app. and with all the admins and moderators in this thread I usually get my information here too

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Known Issues
  • Multiple embedded quotes can break/rearrange incorrectly
  • Multi-quote is limited to current page
  • Chipset/architecture specific app builds unavailable (arm64/intel/etc)
  • If your account name has been manually changed on XDA it also needs to be changed in Labs and can only be done by an admin
  • Additional glitches, quirks and other bugs listed here (maintained by @Wood Man)

General Limitations
  • / forum tags aren't rendered
    [*]Attachments can't be added when editing posts
    [*]Files can't be removed once attached (user must start post over)

Support Your Device!
If your device isn't being identified correctly, please take a look at the Android Device Names Registry. This is a community maintained repo you can contribute to so Labs (and other apps) can rightfully identify your device.​

Community Chat
Want to chat with the team or other Labs users? Want to help debug an issue?
Join us on Telegram in the XDA Labs group!

Help translate! Aide Ã?* traduire! Aiutare a tradurre!
Head on over to our page on thee mighty CrowdIn to join in the fun!​

FAQ
Q: Where's the source!?!?
Not available and no ETA. It's not up to us (the team behind Labs), so please don't ask as we're not the ones to answer.

Q: Notifications seem a bit inconsistent or delayed! What gives?!
Labs uses a very light-weight notification service that uses MQTT instead of Google Play Services. Due to the changes first found in M, Android has made Google Play Services the only way for apps to reliably get notifications. You can get around this by manually adding Labs to the "Don't Optimize" list in Settings -> Apps -> Special Access -> Battery optimization -> All apps. The term "Don't Optimize" is misleading, Labs won't drain your battery and you'll get notifications properly. Read more about it here.

Q: How do I disable the Apps/Xposed part of the app? I only want forums!
Right now you can't! We're looking into letting the user disable parts of the app, but in the meantime you can enable the XDA Forums launcher icon. When loading directly into the Forums none of the App/Xposed sections will be loaded into memory. See this post for more info.

Q: Since this app is part-store and it won't be allowed on Play, how do I get updates?!
Good question! Labs has OTA self-updates that will notify you when a new version is available.

Q: I'm getting a Parse error when installing apps, what gives?
This is a Package Installer issue. Check out a workaround here.

Q: I have updates from GroovyAPKs/GoogleAPKs for apps I haven't even installed via Labs! What gives?!
From the explanation in the app itself:
In addition to indie apps, Labs also contains staged roll-out versions of popular big-name apps. This means you can get the latest release of Hangouts before it's available on Play for your device or country. Updating via Labs still lets you get future updates. You just get the newer version sooner. Yay!

These staged roll-outs are snatched as soon as the roll-out begins and made available immediately in Labs. They're hand-picked by cyborgs at XDA (GroovyAPKs/GoogleAPKs) and are identical to the versions eventually pushed out on Google Play..
You can block apps by clicking on the circle with a / slash through it above the Apps tab.

Q: Can you change the paged layout of threads to endlessly scroll instead?
Sorry, this change requires a substantial amount of backend work done first and as such is not planned for any time in the near future.

Q: How can I add an App?
Simply visit labs.xda-developers.com and login using your XDA username.

Q: I'm an Xposed Mod dev, how do I add a banner, screenshots, etc to my mods?
Xposed Mods are still added/edited on rovo89's repo.xposed.info. Once your Xposed Mod is added there, you can log into the Labs console to add a banner, screenshots and more to your mod!

Q: How can I add my Wallpaper??
We're working on expanding our dev console to support the upload and management of user submitted wallpapers.

Q: I found a bug! Fix it!
Yea yea, sure sure. First, if possible, download the latest debug build. Second, recreate your issue while capturing a log using logcat. Third, post a brief description of how to re-create your issue, with your device information and the log attached. It's that easy! EDIT: This has been roughly outlined in this post. Feel free to use it as a guide but do not ask support related questions on adb or how to capture logs.

Last edited:

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Roadmap
We wish to keep this app updated according to constructive user feedback. Here's a peak at what's next for the app!
  • CPU/chipset build options (intel/arm64/etc)
  • Auto-update apps toggle for rooted devices
  • Ability to hide/disable parts of the app you don't use
  • Super dark AMOLED theme
  • Nickname auto-complete on PM, mention, etc
  • Download wallpapers
  • Moderation tools
  • Data-saver for forum images (load on-demand instead of automatically)

Check out the suggestions list here

Downloads
[Latest Labs] (debug build)

1.1.6b (Mar 19)
Notice: Upgrading to 1.1.6b may temporarily break installed substratum themes. Please rebuild the XDA Labs overlay to fix this.
  • [tweak] Update supported devices
  • [tweak] Translation updates
  • [fix] Edit post length related errors
  • [fix] Workaround some Huawei device startup crashes
  • [fix] Large image OOM crashes in posts
  • [fix] News top images not filling header
  • [fix] My Device crash for certain devices

1.1.4b (Feb 05)
  • [feature] LG theme support (thanks @markbencze!)
  • [tweak] Add more supported devices
  • [tweak] Upgrade network stack
  • [tweak] Upgrade Android support libs
  • [tweak] Upgrade search backend
  • [tweak] Updated translations
  • [fix] Portal news network error

1.1.3.3b (September 15)
  • [tweak] Add support for more devices
  • [tweak] Add telegram chat link
  • [tweak] Translation updates, added Korean
  • [fix] Back-end file attachment errors more descriptive
  • [fix] Broken / out-of-order image bug in N/O
  • [fix] Download receiver crash on some devices
  • [fix] OP post tag vanishing on rotation
  • [fix] Forum launch fragment crash

1.1.2.2b (June 4)
  • [fix] Certain network requests/actions randomly failing
  • [fix] Mangled translations
  • [fix] Revamp retry code for handling forum API request failure
  • [tweak] Extract out some colors for themes
  • [tweak] Update translations
  • [tweak] Update device names lib

1.1.1b (January 18)
  • [feature] Scroll to the top of tabs by clicking tab title
  • [feature] Add support for https forum links
  • [tweak] Updated device names lib
  • [tweak] Updated SearchPlus libs
  • [tweak] Thread search results launch new stack (>KK)
  • [tweak] Shared forum URLs default to https
  • [tweak] Browser option for failed forum URL parse
  • [tweak] Play edition removal prompt on full upgrade
  • [tweak] Update translations / add Arabic
  • [fix] Backing out of articles properly kills video
  • [fix] Prevent quoting/replies in locked threads
  • [fix] Fix page # in URL in thread share/browser
  • [fix] KK issues with SearchPlus

1.1.0b (November 11)
  • [feature] Forum Search webview replaced with Search Plus
  • [feature] Launcher shortcuts for Android 7.1
  • [tweak] Circle icons for Android 7.1
  • [tweak] forumdisplay URLs added to parser
  • [tweak] Add shortcut from Android notification settings
  • [tweak] Optimize app/xposed list refresh request
  • [tweak] More supported devices to My Device
  • [fix] Themes change without app restart
  • [fix] Thread list resume crash

1.0.9b (October 14)
  • [feature] Auto-draft saving for posts/PMs
  • [feature] Android Wear full notification support
  • [feature] Enhanced notifications
  • [tweak] Quote/Mention/PM caching and pre-loading
  • [tweak] Dismissed notifications not shown again
  • [tweak] Thread OP can now edit thread title
  • [tweak] Unseen thread default switched back to end
  • [tweak] Tweak rating star speed & rounding
  • [tweak] Thread search results UI
  • [tweak] Load multi-page thread search results
  • [tweak] Share article shortcut
  • [tweak] Add drafts to post edits
  • [tweak] Thread search results sorted by date
  • [tweak] Update to Nougat support libs
  • [tweak] Update 3rd party libs
  • [tweak] Update DB lib, use faster sorting for results
  • [tweak] App signing certificate validation
  • [tweak] Clickable links in app description
  • [tweak] Thread list rendering now much faster
  • [tweak] NavDrawer shown in Forums section if unread notices
  • [tweak] Removed All forum tab
  • [tweak] Find a forum search icon only shown in Forum tabs
  • [fix] Some device detect mismatches
  • [fix] Single page threads properly marked as read on visit
  • [fix] Thread marked as read on new reply
  • [fix] Light theme star rating white on white
  • [fix] Review modal button wrap
  • [fix] Existing drafts not saving properly
  • [fix] Xposed light theme star rating
  • [fix] Share news article crash
  • [fix] Edit post adding to [IMG/YOUTUBE] urls [*] [fix] [Q...st log more verbosely to help with debugging.

Last edited:

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Spread the word and support Labs

Show your love!
Using labs is supporting indie Android dev, the backbone of the XDA Developers community. Show your support by choosing one of our signatures. Each signature represents a different role or relationship you might have with Labs. Are you a developer using the platform? Are you a translator who has contributed to the app? Maybe just an advocate? Helpful tester?? We got you covered!

Copy/paste the markdown string into your signature here

Large signatures

[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/large/empty.png[/IMG][/URL]

Developer
[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/large/developer.png[/IMG][/URL]

Beta tester
[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/large/beta_tester.png[/IMG][/URL]

Contributor
[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/large/contributor.png[/IMG][/URL]

Advocate
[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/large/advocate.png[/IMG][/URL]

Small signatures

[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/small/empty.png[/IMG][/URL]

Developer
[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/small/developer.png[/IMG][/URL]

Beta tester
[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/small/beta_tester.png[/IMG][/URL]

Contributor
[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/small/contributor.png[/IMG][/URL]

Advocate
[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/small/advocate.png[/IMG][/URL]

Small wrapped signatures

[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/small_wrap/empty.png[/IMG][/URL]

Developer
[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/small_wrap/developer.png[/IMG][/URL]

Beta tester
[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/small_wrap/beta_tester.png[/IMG][/URL]

Contributor
[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/small_wrap/contributor.png[/IMG][/URL]

Advocate
[URL="http://goo.gl/Tc1eaV"][IMG]http://imgs.xda-labs.com/0621sigs/small_wrap/advocate.png[/IMG][/URL]

Signatures are courtesy of @Faiz Malkani. Hey did you know he did the Labs icon/logo too? What a great guy!

If you're viewing this in Labs, the NOPARSE tag won't be working and you'll see the image instead of the code. I realize the irony ;)

Last edited:

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
Here below, the list of the already suggested features/tweaks/ideas.

Some important points about this post :
> It should hopefully prevent people from asking for already suggested stuff,
> It's not meant to push blk_jack,
> It DOESN'T MEAN it will be done by blk_jack, it's up to him to decide. It's just a suggestion box,
> Some suggestions don't appear here because they are already mentioned in the API limitations list in post #2 and post #7.​

> List of already suggested features

> List of implemented suggestions

Last edited:

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
XDA Labs v1.1.6b issues (in addition to the known issues of post #2)

Note for testers: please read HERE about XDA Labs debug version / OTA updates.

> List of XDA Labs app known issues / general limitations

> List of intentional behaviours (for now)

> Backend issues

> Known API limitations at the moment

Credits to bug hunters:
aditya7051 | AndrzejDwo | andy356 | Ankit Dey | Artim_96 | Bajanman | BillGoss | Darth | david72262 | daviduco | dustin_b | Eleo | iXaidyiu | Ja_som | jasio2k | jorgen2009 | joshuous | Matt07211 | Maxr1998 | Meneldur | moriel5 | MrWasdennnoch | MSF Jarvis | Naman Bhalla | PalmCentro | pavlepiramida | powerpoint45 | QuickNET Tech | SalarX | Scartozzi | suku_patel_22 | tag68 | Trafalgar Square | xlsaisai | Zeyn Karim | @ all other members I forgot

Last edited:

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
i can't open the app it force closes every time i try to launch it
From the FAQ in the OP:

Q: I found a bug! Fix it!
Yea yea, sure sure. First, if possible, download the latest debug build. Second, recreate your issue while capturing a log using logcat. Third, post a brief description of how to re-create your issue, with your device information and the log attached. It's that easy!
I just uploaded the debug build to the second post. It's the one with -debug in the name. I really appreciate feedback on this app, but I definitely need more info when you guys report issues. The more info the easier it is for me and the quicker the issue gets fixed.

Scartozzi

Jan 11, 2014
siena
From the FAQ in the OP:

I just uploaded the debug build to the second post. It's the one with -debug in the name. I really appreciate feedback on this app, but I definitely need more info when you guys report issues. The more info the easier it is for me and the quicker the issue gets fixed.

you're right sorry about that
i'm on nexus 5 running stock marshmallow with elementalx kernel

Attachments

G

GuestK0036

Great job :good:

Just noticed display bugs (navigation drawer too wide, swipe to refresh on navigation drawer & two fields in search screen).
In future do you planned to open a translation project on Crowdin (free for open source apps) and release this app on F-Droid store?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone