• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[OFFICIAL][ZS620KL] LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) for the Asus Zenfone 5z

Search This thread

ThE_MarD

Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
Heyyo @tooth fairy , I'm glad you like it! (y)

Unfortunately with the redesigned power menu? That Feature wasn't brought back...

You can still take a screenshot by holding down the power and volume down buttons at the same time for three seconds.

If you want partial screenshot though? You can go into Settings > Buttons > under extras you can enable a shortcut for short tap of power + volume down.

Last edited:
Reactions: tooth fairy

echang8

Feb 6, 2016
Heyyo @echang8 , please ensure you are doing the factory reset step as stock ROM uses FDE and we use FBE
eyyy Thanks for replying
I did step 3 (Now tap Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset and continue with the formatting process.)
and it did format successfully. Then, I adb sideloaded lineageos. It stopped at 47% and reported adb: failed to read command: no error. I rebooted recovery, then adb sideloaded MindTheGapps arm64. Rebooted and it sayed on the lineageos boot up animation for hours. I am wondering if I am on the wrong active slot perhaps?

Last edited:

ThE_MarD

Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
@echang8 , slots doesn't matter for LineageOS 18.1 as we include device firmware in our installer. ;)

That is a known adb bug that the file finishes copying to the device at 47% (AOSP bug) but when it completes successfully it should show something like "adb failed to read success" if it passed. I would recommend checking if the checksum matches your downloaded zip or to try and redownload it again

tooth fairy

Nov 14, 2018
Hi There,

i want to give a feedback after using 18.1 a couple of days.
Right after installing the first official 18.1 build i got some random weird screen on/off events.
The screen gets dark and "comes back on" showing the login-screen. after a day or two this behavior dissapeard mostly.

Today it started to anoy me again. So i did an update to the recent 10.May build of 18.1 .

Now it is even worse: Right now the phone just lies beside me on the table. Screen turned off (black) by me.
Once in a while the screen flashes on and shows the lock-screen and within a second it turns black again.
(No visible events are triggering this behavior.) Sometimes this happens every couple of seconds , sometimes the screen stays black several minutes. o_O

Using the phone: the screen turns black randomly. e.g. When swiping / reading / opening the calendar app.
I allways have to unlock the phone again.

Can i provide any debug Info ? (if yes, please drop some advice how to do so)

As far as i remember nothing like this happend when using LinageOS 17.1 official.

tooth fairy

Nov 14, 2018
@ThE_MarD
Thanks for the fast reply.
The Ambient Display is ON. But the Options: Always on / Tilt Sensor: Pick-up / Proximity Sensor: Hand wave , Pocket are all turned off!
Last night the phone was on a table & the display turned on & off randomly even when i was sitting 2 meters away from the phone. And no flickering lights or whatever would have triggered anything.
Luckily the "random on/off flashing"-Problem dissolved overnight.

Just some rare & "spontaneous" Display turning Black & i had to unlock once more Events appeard.

I gonna start logcat using the tool "aLogcat root" from f-droid.org : https://f-droid.org/en/packages/rs.pedjaapps.alogcatroot.app/
and I'll report back when i got the log.

# EDIT: after 1 week
Today i made update to the 17.May build. So far I got no furter "sceen trouble" (y) So no logs to provide !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ThE_MarD

iSKGtm

Oct 6, 2016
Brasil
linktr.ee
Hello, even following all the steps, lineage 18.1 recovery seems to be having problems here, every time i try to record the gapps, or magisk via adb sideload, it gets stuck at 0% checking the update package.
I ended up going back to stock rom. :(

Edit: I was able to install with another method using TWRP, but Los Recovery cannot flash.

The rom is very fluid and stable, with only the CTS missing.

Last edited:

tooth fairy

Nov 14, 2018
Hi There,

the annoying spontaneous "Screen turns off & I have to unlock again" happend again this evening. Around 6 times.

I'm running the 24.May 2021 build.

I attached the alogcat log . I saved it just seconds after it happend 2 times in a row (Screen off - unlock - Screen off, just within seconds)

I hope that no relevant private data is in the log.

EDIT:
I just noticed that in one widget (of a caldendar app) the font changed. I could undo this by rebooting the Phone.

??? I can't attach a file ??? should i send a PM ?

Last edited:

ThE_MarD

Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
Heyyo, a new test build is going up! Link as always in the first post. lineage-18.1-20210613-UNOFFICIAL-Z01R contains fixes for the camera to work in all camera apps and special thanks to @Aryaannnn for finding the fix (it is already merged so the next official build will have this too) and also clean up some camera blobs and add CVP. We also switched the offline charger blob from the AOSP one that didn't always work to the ZenUI one from our stock ROM so that it'll work in any charging configuration and also fixes for the kernel battery stats so that those annoying logcat messages will go away (no idea if it'll actually translate to better battery life though heh). OH! There's also a test commit for fixing microSD Cards for adaptable storage if someone can test it, please.

Last edited:

tooth fairy

Nov 14, 2018
Hi There,
just to keep everybody up to date with my "screen on / off" trouble.

The_MarD found this line in the logcat: (y)

I/PowerManagerService( 1456): Going to sleep due to lid_switch (uid 1000)...

he pointed to me that the "lid_switch" depends on the HALL SENSOR.

He was so Kind to point me to some possible solutions: :love:

a) build a new kernel with support for the HALL SENSOR disabled. (for the case that it is a Hardware problem)

b) In case that it is a software realated problem: go back to OREO.

I decided to stay with this smooth running LinageOS 18.1 . So i opted for solution a).

In this process i was pointed to a far easier way to disable the HALL SENSOR ....
Just do it from userland by using adb:

adb shell settings put global lid_behavior 0

(This tip was given to me in the linageOS IRC channel. After half a day messing around with setting up a new Ubuntu 20.4 Build enviroment i was glad that i got this. Thanks to : LuK1337 from over there 🙏 )

I hope the trouble is finally gone !!!

Thanks again to @ThE_MarD and LuK1337 for all your donated time to the community (and to me , of course :) )

ThE_MarD

Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
@tooth fairy that's good to hear it worked! Tbh a fellow Z01R user on Gitlab Issue tracker has the same problem and this fixed it for him too, so it's good you posted the fix. (y)

I recommend you make a guide thread here just in case other users run into issues with the hall sensor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heyyo, so the latest official build includes a fix I merged for those who were on LinwageOS 18.1 then downgraded to stock Oreo ZenUI then came back to LOS 18.1, as there was an issue with sehash of persist partition which didn't exist in pre-Android 10 ROMs so meow all sensors (including fingerprint) will guaranteed work.

Also, I'm requesting a new official build of TWRP for our device that has support for FBE decryption and is rebased on Android 10 as our current TWRP is only Android 9. (y)
    Heyyo @RUDRAGGWP you can follow the LOS install instructions with TWRP in the first post.

mombic thanks for logcat, I'll try to review it when I'm available which might be a few days
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restores the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Code:
    #include

/*

* Your warranty is now void.

* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,

* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please

* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM

* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if

* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

*/

SUPPORTED DEVICES

- ZS620KL (Asus Zenfone 5z)

- ZS621KL (Asus Zenfone 5z)

HOW TO INSTALL LINEAGEOS WITH LINEAGE RECOVERY

Please follow the official LineageOS Wiki instructions for our device

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS WITH LINEAGE RECOVERY

Please follow the official LineageOS Wiki instructions for our device

HOW TO INSTALL LINEAGEOS WITH TWRP

- Unlock the bootloader and install TWRP.

- Download LineageOS. (see Downloads)

- Boot into TWRP.

- Copy the downloaded zip files to the internal SD card.

- Perform a backup of your current ROM. (Optional)

- RECOMMENDED: Do a factory reset (clean wipe)! No support if you didn't! (Wipe System, Cache and Data)

- Flash LineageOS zip.

- Flash TWRP installer zip.

- Reboot to TWRP.

- Optional: Install the Google Apps add-on package. (see Downloads)

- Reboot to system.

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS WITH TWRP

- Download the LineageOS zip(s). (see Downloads)

- Copy the LineageOS zip to the internal SD card.

- Reboot to TWRP.

- Flash LineageOS. (Wiping Cache is optional, but recommended)

- Reboot to TWRP.

- Optional: Install the Google Apps add-on package. (see Downloads)

- Reboot to system.

MAIN DOWNLOADS

Lineage:

- Official:

- Unofficial:

https://osdn.net/projects/lineageos-for-z01r/releases/p17823

TWRP for Z01R: Unofficial:

GOOGLE APPS (GAPPS) DOWNLOADS

GOOGLE CAMERA (GCAM) DOWNLOADS

Google Camera:

5z's configuration can be found in his configs:

DEVELOPER RESOURCES

HOW TO CONTRIBUTE?

Send your patches up for review: https://review.lineageos.org/

Read the guides on the LineageOS Wiki: https://wiki.lineageos.org/

Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS
    Heyyo, I just realized that the first official build of LineageOS 18.1 is up for Z01R! w00t! Thread updated (y)
    Heyyo, so the latest official build includes a fix I merged for those who were on LinwageOS 18.1 then downgraded to stock Oreo ZenUI then came back to LOS 18.1, as there was an issue with sehash of persist partition which didn't exist in pre-Android 10 ROMs so meow all sensors (including fingerprint) will guaranteed work.

Also, I'm requesting a new official build of TWRP for our device that has support for FBE decryption and is rebased on Android 10 as our current TWRP is only Android 9. (y)
    Features over Stock
    FM Radio, File-Based Encryption (which allows power-off Alarm to actually work and no annoying PIN prompt half-ways through boot), QTI Bluetooth stack

KNOWN BUGS
    • ViLTE does not work
    • 4K UHD Video recording does not work in LineageOS Snap Camera app. (A workaround is to use other camera apps like OpenCamera or Gcam Mods)
    • Touch sometimes doesn't work in Lineage Recovery. The workaround is to use the volume buttons to move around the menu and power to select or to reboot to recovery.
    • SafetyNet does not pass (Unfortunately, this is not possible as your SoC has hardware attestation... the workaround is to use unsupported mods like Magisk which tbh I haven't tried myself as I don't root my devices, but other users said that plus the SafetyNet Magisk mod works)
    Frequently Asked Questions
    • Is there a different way to unlock the bootloader than the Asus official method? You can try the unofficial bootloader unlock here
    Heyyo @RUDRAGGWP you can follow the LOS install instructions with TWRP in the first post.

mombic thanks for logcat, I'll try to review it when I'm available which might be a few days