• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

'OK Google' will work even when screen is off

Search This thread

bartolo5

Dec 1, 2010
Just found this on the Lollipop official brochure (https://android.com/versions/lollipop-5-0)

"Even if your screen is off, you can say "OK Google" on devices with digital signal processing support such as Nexus 6 and Nexus 9"

So seems like the Nexus 6 will have hotword support even when the phone is off. Pretty cool.

ECrispy

Jun 25, 2010
This already works on the N5 (when plugged in) and is built into every Sanpdragon 8xx cpu, Android is finally taking advantage of it. Its not a new hardware feature.

bartolo5

Dec 1, 2010
This already works on the N5 (when plugged in) and is built into every Sanpdragon 8xx cpu, Android is finally taking advantage of it. Its not a new hardware feature.

In the Moto X has always worked even when device was unplugged, without any sort of battery impact. I tried it on my first gen Moto X and battery life was the same with or without hotwork. I am assuming this will work also when unplugged on the Nexus 6?

kevinlevrone

Sep 16, 2014
It's so silly to say "OK Google" when surrounded by people, that I really don't care for this feature. It was present on the original Moto X anyway, and I don't think anyone used it more than one day to see that it works.

ECrispy

Jun 25, 2010
In the Moto X has always worked even when device was unplugged, without any sort of battery impact. I tried it on my first gen Moto X and battery life was the same with or without hotwork. I am assuming this will work also when unplugged on the Nexus 6?

Moto X is different, it officially has all the Moto software features.

chrisg1548

Apr 14, 2011
Nassau
Was wondering if this feature would be included, I use it on my opo all the time but being able to access it while it's locked would be great.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I use okay Google all the time in public. Stop worrying about what other losers think.